Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    So what you're saying is that just because Vegetarians are Hitler, Hitler was not necessarily a Vegetarian.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    So, chat, all answer one word so I can build consensus (reasons if you want, it just y/n is greatly appreciated.)

Weezer yay or nay?

Yay. i don't know them, but i'm okay with anyone liking whatever they like.

Even Hitler?

We should outlaw painting and vegetarianism.

Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. He sometimes had a vegetarian diet because of gas issues but the idea he was a vegetarian was just Gobbles propaganda.

Farts are funny. Even Hitler's farts.

Especially Hitler's farts.
    steam_sig.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Hitler didn't hate Jews.

He was just gassy.
    network_sig2.png
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So, chat, all answer one word so I can build consensus (reasons if you want, it just y/n is greatly appreciated.)

Weezer yay or nay?

Even Hitler?

Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. He sometimes had a vegetarian diet because of gas issues but the idea he was a vegetarian was just Gobbles propaganda.

There's an obvious joke in there...

Edit: yeah, so much for that.
    Haphazard on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Time for me to work out. Unf. Unf Unf.

I still have not looked into workout routines, so i'm doing my weird and stupid one again. But any little bit helps, right? (I know every little bit does not help)
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    I has to miss the rest of 90s music talk

So belatedly:

Warp Records

*drops mic*
    *bangs gavel*
    *adjourns court*
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Toto did the soundtrack for David Lynch's Dune.

I have a copy of that on CD. I had to import that shit, it is rare (or at least it was back in the day when I bought it). I should probably rip it to MP3.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I still have not looked into workout routines, so i'm doing my weird and stupid one again. But any little bit helps, right? (I know every little bit does not help)

21st four weeks from now:
    leadImage.jpg
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

pearl jam/ soundgarden/ alice in chains were so. fucking. tedious. and samey.

the 90s downtempo r&b was terrible (r kelly, sisco, usher, jodeci, etc)

the boy bands were terrible

rap got really ugly and terrible in the 90s.

"big country" was a thing and it was terrible.

decent bands from the 90s:
    1) smashing pumpkins before they got bloated and terrible
    2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.
    I'd also consider Nirvana an 80s band, since Kurt killed himself in 94

i only followed ska kind of casually - madness and desmond decker and like the english beat and the bosstones. i think i saw a skatellites show. but yeah the 90s were probably the high point for ska.

frankie liked ska a lot though.

the 90s were an okay time for pop-punk. like, green day and the offspring and nofx get shat on a lot because it's not REAL PUNK but it's fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously which is what punk is supposed to be.

Eh see that's where we differ a bit. I have no problem with the music they made, but that's not what punk was, originally. When I think punk I think Velvet Underground, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedies and Crass as the genre standards. Music with a message against a system. I didn't hate NOFX or Pennywise or anything (some of their stuff has even grown on me, and I'll listen it through when it pops up.)" but I just think their music was Pop ispired by Punk instead of actual Punk music.

Ska is a very convoluted conversation to get into, since there has been a lot of "Proto-ska" bands, but I really dig some of the punk ska combinations like Less than Jake and Citizen Fish. If you've never heard The Specials they're the grandsires of current ska, imho. Ghost Town is an awesome track, and Rudy.

the ramones, the descendents, the sex pistols and the clash (before they got too political) were exactly about diy music that was fun to see at a show and didn't take itself too seriously. these are probably the first actual punk bands if you're not, like, someone who insists on richard hell/ television/ etc

the next wave of punk - dk, suicidal tendencies, bad brains, etc, got really political and angry and angsty and whatever - they have their place - but it's not like this is the only legit punk music. i really don't care for this era of punk. IMO, the best thing that came out of punk in the 80s were the arty alt-rock post-punk like the talking heads and elvis costello and the pogues.

so then you have the 90s pop-punk stuff that is just kids making fun music and not taking themselves too seriously - just like the ramones and early clash - and suddenly they're considered not "real punk"?! it's ridiculous.

i'm not even sure i'd consider the velvet underground legit "punk" - though i like them a lot. they were an art-rock band bankrolled by andy warhol.

i do like the specials. really i think i like the early ska because it hadn't really settled into a distinct formula. one of my friends got super into ska in the 90s - he'd wear clothes with checkerboards on them and blast ska in his car all day every day - and it all kind of ran together to me.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

Weezer yay or nay?

Their popular songs are catchy as hell, but there isn't really anything to them. Going to say "nay" because they're pretty much the definition of empty rock-pop.

I think it depends on the album. They have changed a lot over the years. What they play now doesn't even sound like what I think of weezer from years ago.

As a person who can't really name any of their albums and only listens when it comes up on Rock Band or Pandora, I can't distinguish early/late Weezer.

That's sort of the problem. But also, there are songs like Beverly Hills that are just atrocious and unlike their usual stuff.

I really liked Weezer before Beverly Hills, and that was their biggest selling album and I feel like they've been much more hit or miss since. o_O
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular

21st four weeks from now:
    leadImage.jpg

"Sorry, I was trying to take a picture of myself but this muscular fellow kept putting himself between my camera and me. :("
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular

Pick a single muscle to work out. Ensure you only work that muscle. That is the guide to getting ripped.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Idea: train Facebook's facial recognition to find Jesus in dog butts
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Weezer yay or nay?

Even Hitler?

Farts are funny. Even Hitler's farts.

Especially Hitler's farts.

I could see a sketch there. Hitler there directing the war, making high level SS members lean in closer while he rips these horrible farts that they are trying to ignore.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Damnit! I was so close to having an awesome round of geoguessr and I get one that's just a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with no readable signs.

But wait, there's a sign in the shape of a cow.... I guess maybe Texas??

DAMN YOU AUSTRALIA!!
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You consider Suicidal Tendencies punk?

Art of Rebellion is a fabulous album, but I wouldn't call it punk. It's closer to thrash or some other variant of metal. I have to be careful here or I'll accidentally summon the heshers to the thread and they have opinions about subgenres...
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I am pretty upset that no one wanted to discuss any part of my high post yesterday. All of that stuff continues to he interesting to me even reading it sober.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    the whole "punk"/"not punk" thing is simply "poser"/"not a poser" in different language and is just as fucking stupid
    919UOwT.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I am pretty upset that no one wanted to discuss any part of my high post yesterday. All of that stuff continues to he interesting to me even reading it sober.

High post tend to go unread for good reasons.

Mostly if you are not high listening to people who are high is the most annoying thing ever.
    falasig.png
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    You can't name a song "Hallelujah", "Julia", or "Maps" and have it not be a cover of a famous song with the same name! It's wrong I say
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Weezer gets a yea like Violent Femmes gets a yea.

Both bands have put out some amazing music, but I hate to listen to their full discography on shuffle.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    edited May 2013
    I love reading Will talking about Punk. Mostly because he knows way more than me.

Of course the pop punk is what lead me to real punk which then some how lead to weird Irish punk/pirate music.
    Mazzyx on
    falasig.png
    NOT IN MY SET OF ARBITRARILY SELECTED MUSICAL FEATURES DEFINING AN IN-GROUP!
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Didn't posting while high used to be an instant ban?
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    the whole "punk"/"not punk" thing is simply "poser"/"not a poser" in different language and is just as fucking stupid

Sounds like something a poser in denial would say.

Source: I have several band patches on my Jansport.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

Mostly if you are not high listening to people who are high is the most annoying thing ever.

But mine was really good.

vspgsp.jpg
    like, say for instance, the buzzcocks

no crazy hair or leather jackets, no political message, no tough guy attitude

just some nerdy guys singing songs about wanting to get laid and being punk as fuck while doing it
    919UOwT.png
    spool32 wrote: »
    You consider Suicidal Tendencies punk?

Art of Rebellion is a fabulous album, but I wouldn't call it punk. It's closer to thrash or some other variant of metal. I have to be careful here or I'll accidentally summon the heshers to the thread and they have opinions about subgenres...

yeah maybe. i guess i can see either way with suicidal tendencies. i guess i really only listened to their early stuff and it had a real punk sound to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBaMlAUj08

they ended up going in more of a metal direction i guess
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Pick a single muscle to work out. Ensure you only work that muscle. That is the guide to getting ripped.

Especially weird ones

Like just one calf at a time

I skimmed it last night.

Was not as good as you are leading people to believe.
    falasig.png

eh i mean i agree, but i still think it's interesting to talk about the music and the history of the genre
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Sorry gooey but his sources check out
    like, say for instance, the buzzcocks

no crazy hair or leather jackets, no political message, no tough guy attitude

just some nerdy guys singing songs about wanting to get laid and being punk as fuck while doing it

yeah for real

though to be fair the buzzcocks really only had that one album

still a great album
    desc wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

Sorry gooey but his sources check out

but i know all the words to that descendents song "all"
    919UOwT.png

I skimmed it last night.

Was not as good as you are leading people to believe.

It was good enough that I want to talk about it.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Toto did the soundtrack for David Lynch's Dune.

I have a copy of that on CD. I had to import that shit, it is rare (or at least it was back in the day when I bought it). I should probably rip it to MP3.

I've got that soundtrack kicking around somewhere...on cassette.

so very very old
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Element BrianElement Brian Registered User regular
    Nirvana defined the 90's. Yeah they started in the late 80's. But when you look at their style, and then just think of the way people were in the 90's, Nirvana encapsulated that so well.

Also, since I was just a kid during the 90's and throughout high school in the early 2000s my taste in music was still pretty shitty. That aside, I'm sick of the shitting on anything anyone else likes. You know, most of Blink 182 I can't really listen to anymore, but I LOVE 'Dammit' and still consider it one of my favorite songs. Same goes for most of RHCP and Sublime. I won't actively listen to it, but if i go to a bar and someone is playing a cover of Santeria, i'm going to fucking sing a long and love the hell out of it.

Also No Doubt, just because of Spider Webs.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    buzzcocks is a funny name
    I approve
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I think I still have some cassettes somewhere.
    But... I don't own a tape deck any more.
This discussion has been closed.