Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    oh mah gah it's already 2pm, today is flying by for a Monday
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Ira Glass sounds like he belongs stuffed in a locker.

Forever.
    network_sig2.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    @Hamurabi

Outside that reads like a chemistry exam?

Butter comes in salted and unsalted forms. Just by unsalted.
    falasig.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

pearl jam/ soundgarden/ alice in chains were so. fucking. tedious. and samey.

the 90s downtempo r&b was terrible (r kelly, sisco, usher, jodeci, etc)

the boy bands were terrible

rap got really ugly and terrible in the 90s.

"big country" was a thing and it was terrible.

decent bands from the 90s:
    1) smashing pumpkins before they got bloated and terrible
    2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.
    I'd also consider Nirvana an 80s band, since Kurt killed himself in 94

It's interesting, but a lot of the decades that music is associated with often has less to do with the actual release time and more with the style that that decade is saddled with. Nirvana is considered one of the big grunge successes that defines 90s rock. And Spoolius Maximus likes to bring up GnR from the 90s, though I would personally say they were the last bastion of 80s arena rock during the big alternative push.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    "buttery spread" def sounds like the kind of thing you could not legally put on the packaging of that product in my country.

Yeah I think we've identified the problem

@Hamurabi you are using shitty oil-based butter substitute and it's probably gone rancid. Throw that shit out and never buy it again. It's pretty seriously bad for you, even if you get the kind with no trans-fats.

Just use butter.

What's so bad about this? Expiration date is January 2014.

smartbalance_nutrition.jpg

In my experience regular ass butter is really really salty, and I'm trying to cut down on the sodium.

That list of ingredients is horrifying. Just buy unsalted butter.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    they literally make unsalted butter

it's right on the goddamn label
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    "buttery spread" def sounds like the kind of thing you could not legally put on the packaging of that product in my country.

@Hamurabi you are using shitty oil-based butter substitute and it's probably gone rancid. Throw that shit out and never buy it again. It's pretty seriously bad for you, even if you get the kind with no trans-fats.

Just use butter.

In my experience regular ass butter is really really salty, and I'm trying to cut down on the sodium.

unsalted butter!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    For starters, palm oil is, I believe, about as healthy as gasoline.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

Pearl Jam / Soundgarden really don't sound the same at all.
    Where are G&R and Red Hot Chili Peppers on your list.
    Where is Jane's Addiction
    How is Counting Crows not there.
    What is this you are saying about West Coast gangsta rap when Dr Dre and Snoop had their heyday in that decade.
    What about New Jack Swing on the east coast.
    We haven't even touched Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily was released in 1995 and it is exceptional.

I think you have a strange opinion of the 90s!

Edit: Eminem released the Slim Shady album in 1999.

GnR was an 80s band, really. use your illusion, though uneven and bloated, was the last thing they produced that was even worth listening to.

Jane's Addiction was really more an 80s band too. I'd say that Janes Addiction & the pixies were sort of the apotheosis of 80s post-punk before it transitioned into the grunge movement.

not a big fun of counting crows! i remember liking them in like 1994 but they haven't really aged well.

natalie merchant, the indigo girls and other lilith fair circuit preachy lady singers were one of the things that made the 90s especially terrible!

as for rap, the 90s were the era that made gangsta rap the only real option in the rap game. it was, i think, a real disservice to the genre, and it wasn't until the 2000s that rap started to become playful or innovative again.
    TehSloth wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Is This American Life always presented by the same guy, or different people.

Because I downloaded one podcast and it was presented by a guy that spoke like William Shatner, so didn't bother with any more.

Should I be giving it another shot?

There's always one main presenter, but the bulk of the actual talking is usually from a few different people. The main dude is Ira Glass, who has an amazing voice, and he usually does like, intros, and discusses the overall theme and will sometimes do his own segments or interviews, but a lot of the segments are from other often recurring contributors.

Ira Glass has the most un-imitatable speech impediment and it drives me crazy because the whole time I listen to him, I try to pin down the way he talks and I can't.
    dkmouthsig.png
    edited May 2013
    It's about time for mid afternoon car nap where I feel like a hobo for napping in my car
    override367 on
    You're all crazy.

This Smart Balance stuff is a steal. Just look at the number of ingredients I'm getting for the low low price of $3.99.

Yeah I guess I should just buy regular ass unsalted butter.
    network_sig2.png
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I should make a thread about the latest EU Hates Our Freedoms insanity.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    NPR on the weekends is the WORST radio station in the world, oh my god. I was stuck in traffic coming back from mother's day and I didn't have anything good on my phone, so I turn on the radio. It's all soft-spoken creepy guys in their 60s playing obscure jazz and big band recordings from the 1930s.

and that tune was a cover of grab your hat... first popularized by bernie meyer in the 1933 musical, louie the tramp... with seth johnson on the clarinet solo... and arthur goodsby on first trumpet.

next we have one of my favorite tunes from the london jazz company in recorded in the summer of 1922 let's see if you can identify this tune

rrrrrinky tinka-tinka rinky-tinka-tinka brrr durr durrr burrr dweeee deee deee deee

there are two npr stations in boston and you chose poorly

the other one has awesome weekends. wait wait don't tell me and this american life and car talk and later on the moth

man i love npr weekends

What is the other one. I listen to WGBH, 89.7. Please tell me the other one so I never have to listen to looney tunes background music for an hour ever again.

jHAw1PL
    hah, wow Will.

You really don't like RHCP? I mean, looking at Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and then jumping to Stadium Arcadium you don't like any of it?

They have evolved a lot!

This is definitely true. The band that created "Suck My Kiss" sounds vastly different from the band that mad "Scar Tissue".
    edited May 2013
    I still prefer Ira Glass to Guy Raz, who always sounds like he's chewing on something.

(<3 you Guy Raz.)
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
    Apparently the 'man bun' is very fashionable right now?

0126noticed-articleLarge.jpg

I feel like this only works because he is already an attractive dude.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Just use butter.

Well it's good that it has no trans-fat. But it's really just oil and processed flavoring and they are fucking with you on the serving size chart comparison with butter. Their serving size is 1 tablespoon, and that is a HELL of a lot of butter. Like, you'd only need to use a teaspoon for making eggs, or less.

So it's fatty oil with processed flavoring and nearly as much salt as butter, and you need to use more of it than butter to get the same effect. And they even say you shouldn't use it for cooking - probably because it falls apart and is gross when subjected to heat.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    edited May 2013
    Echo wrote: »

Please do. Sometimes in America we get very sad because no one else in the world seems to have crazies louder than ours, so it seems like we are the only ones who have them. But I just know that can't be true! Because every once in a while, I hear about, like, the French hating on muslims and I just want more of that in the news so I don't feel alone anymore!
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
    NPR on the weekends is the WORST radio station in the world, oh my god. I was stuck in traffic coming back from mother's day and I didn't have anything good on my phone, so I turn on the radio. It's all soft-spoken creepy guys in their 60s playing obscure jazz and big band recordings from the 1930s.

and that tune was a cover of grab your hat... first popularized by bernie meyer in the 1933 musical, louie the tramp... with seth johnson on the clarinet solo... and arthur goodsby on first trumpet.

next we have one of my favorite tunes from the london jazz company in recorded in the summer of 1922 let's see if you can identify this tune

rrrrrinky tinka-tinka rinky-tinka-tinka brrr durr durrr burrr dweeee deee deee deee

there are two npr stations in boston and you chose poorly

the other one has awesome weekends. wait wait don't tell me and this american life and car talk and later on the moth

man i love npr weekends

What is the other one. I listen to WGBH, 89.7. Please tell me the other one so I never have to listen to looney tunes background music for an hour ever again.

WBUR 90.9

so much better

[i mg]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/01/26/fashion/0126noticed/0126noticed-articleLarge.jpg[/img]

I have the hair for it, but I'd look incredibly silly in it.
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    as for rap, the 90s were the era that made gangsta rap the only real option in the rap game. it was, i think, a real disservice to the genre, and it wasn't until the 2000s that rap started to become playful or innovative again.

I have to disagree with the accuracy of this statement quite heavily, and I'd say it was the other way around. 90s meant experimentation and coastal influences, 2000s meant ATL/HOU dominance and stagnation of the game

But I have to finish something up which sucks because I'm enjoying this discussion!

Please do. Sometimes in America we get very sad because no one else in the world seems to have crazies louder than ours, so it seems like we are the only ones who have them. But I just know that can't be true! Because every once in a while, I hear about, like, the French hating on muslims and I just want more of that in the news TV so I don't feel alone anymore!

You can do some practice-outrage by reading this.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

Will the EU let you?
    Lh96QHG.png
    everyone should have to go around bald in order to move away from gendered hair styles

also we should all be naked or maybe wear a belt

[i mg]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/01/26/fashion/0126noticed/0126noticed-articleLarge.jpg[/img]

I have the hair for it, but I'd look incredibly silly in it.

I feel like having cheekbones helps that look.

*cuts glass with his cheekbones*
    network_sig2.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hook is like if NOFX got every radio station in America to put "Please Play this Song on the Radio" in heavy rotation

#90snalogies

Dee, were you one of those kids who thought NOFX was the ultimate punk band? Man, I got into so many fights when I was in my punk stage because of that shit. I liked to pretend I was so much enter because I listened to real punk like DKs, Crass, MinorThreat and stuff like Citizen Fish (if I could include all incarnations of the groups, my top 3 bands are Sublime, Subhumans and The Clash.) and my aged friends would go on and on about Pennywise and NOFX and The Ataris.. I kinda distanced myself from punk because of all of that, and just went more horn heavy. Less than Jake, MadCaddies are excellent bands, I don't care what you guys say!!! 8-)
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Also, how can I connect it to the Republicans? If I can't then I don't really see a point.
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    oh my god my boss pees so loudly
    Specifically how can I make all the bad things in the world Spool's responsibility?

Inquiring minds want to know!
    Lh96QHG.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I wish I weren't such a wuss about scary video games. I wanna play Demon's Souls, but the game is too scary for me. :(
    Atlanta radio has gone straight to shit. Almost all of the stations that used to offer variety have gone to Top 40. We must have like 20 Top 40 stations now.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Please do. Sometimes in America we get very sad because no one else in the world seems to have crazies louder than ours, so it seems like we are the only ones who have them. But I just know that can't be true! Because every once in a while, I hear about, like, the French hating on muslims and I just want more of that in the news TV so I don't feel alone anymore!

This weekend, a top-level Italian soccer match was suspended for awhile because a sizable portion of the crowd was signing racist chants at a black player on the opposing team.
    a5ehren on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Thanks to Will I listen to Stellastarr*, much <3 for that recommendation!
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

I have to disagree with the accuracy of this statement quite heavily, and I'd say it was the other way around. 90s meant experimentation and coastal influences, 2000s meant ATL/HOU dominance and stagnation of the game

But I have to finish something up which sucks because I'm enjoying this discussion!

I agree with this - the Dirty South crowded out a lot of more interesting rap in the early 2000s. It wasn't until later that folks like Mos Def and Common started to get the recognition they deserve.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    oh my god my boss pees so loudly

I can hear him from here.
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    Rand Paul pretty much accused Obama of treason and terrorism in one of those insane pro-gun mass emails, but I guess that's old hat
    And they even say you shouldn't use it for cooking - probably because it falls apart and is gross when subjected to heat.

I actually had never seen this before. I mean, it's been working fine in my eggs up to now, but maybe I've been getting lucky?
    network_sig2.png
    MadCaddy wrote: »

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.
    I'd also consider Nirvana an 80s band, since Kurt killed himself in 94

i only followed ska kind of casually - madness and desmond decker and like the english beat and the bosstones. i think i saw a skatellites show. but yeah the 90s were probably the high point for ska.

frankie liked ska a lot though.

the 90s were an okay time for pop-punk. like, green day and the offspring and nofx get shat on a lot because it's not REAL PUNK but it's fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously which is what punk is supposed to be.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck

Slint! They were barely a band though
    G2Dcf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.