Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Ah hah. I dug through my post history. It was surprisingly lucid. The thesis is that "hook by blues traveler was the most perfect ironic pop song ever"

This is indisputable.

Best pop song ever in the 90s?! :rotate: next you'll be telling me how hootie and the blowfish got robbed, and their deep cuts were the real deal.

someone i think it was narwhal posted a video of hootie singing wagon wheel. i guess he's still making music

Yea, but he's going by like, his real name now, right? I've heard weird stories about him barning on to try and get a second shot at fame, ala Vanilla Ice.

he did sing a song about a limited-time burger king burger while dressed up like andy from toy story

if that didn't reignite his star then nothing will
    spool32 wrote: »
    Like, I don't hate Hook. When it comes on, if it's been long enough, I'll be like yeah! This fucking song!

Because the hooooooooooook briiiings you baaaayyyyyyaaaahhhhuuuuuuhhhhuuuhhhhuuuuuuhhhhk :whistle:

I think If I heard it more than a few times in a month, I'd maybe drive my car through a daycare though

It's an ironic pop song!

It's supposed to make you feel like you might hurt yourself if you heard it all the time, even as it's so damned catchy that you will probably remember it for the rest of your life.

pachabel's canon.

srsly
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    seriously who the hell listens to weekend NPR and thinks

yes

this is what I want to listen to

Near as I can tell, middle-aged and old white people.

Also: I make my own egg sandwiches, thankyouverymuch. We use Smart Balance, which says it's a "buttery spread" and is made of 100% fat, so I dunno what that means. In any case, I've been using it all along and my eggs have usually turned out fine; the only change has been using eggs from the fridge these last couple of times. Specifically, they don't fluff well or come together, and I wind up with a porridge-like consistency that sticks to the pan even though I deliberately use a fuckton of the Smart Balance.

(And I don't think it's the quatity of Smart Balance either, because I usually go with more than I think I need because I hate the thought of not using enough and having to scrap my eggs off the pan.)
    network_sig2.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    oh shit nevermind I hella respect car talk

I just don't happen to catch it

sad it ended

what do you mean sad it ended.

It's on every saturday morning. Is it just reruns or something??
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I like Nirvana, especially that song No Rain

J.J. Abrams' production company!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    2 for $5 at Burger King is the best ever.
    om nom nom nom.
    Darius Rucker is Hootie?
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TehSloth wrote: »
    NPR on the weekends is the WORST radio station in the world, oh my god. I was stuck in traffic coming back from mother's day and I didn't have anything good on my phone, so I turn on the radio. It's all soft-spoken creepy guys in their 60s playing obscure jazz and big band recordings from the 1930s.

and that tune was a cover of grab your hat... first popularized by bernie meyer in the 1933 musical, louie the tramp... with seth johnson on the clarinet solo... and arthur goodsby on first trumpet.

next we have one of my favorite tunes from the london jazz company in recorded in the summer of 1922 let's see if you can identify this tune

rrrrrinky tinka-tinka rinky-tinka-tinka brrr durr durrr burrr dweeee deee deee deee

Must've been lousy timing because when I used to listen to NPR on the weekends it was always Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Car Talk and Cigar Dave

I'm always driving home at 8 or 9pm on a Sunday, and this "soft spoken guy plays really old jazz" shit is ALWAYS on. The better stuff seems to play in the middle of the day or early afternoon, but I don't normally travel then.
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    oh shit nevermind I hella respect car talk

I just don't happen to catch it

sad it ended

what do you mean sad it ended.

It's on every saturday morning. Is it just reruns or something??

It's just reruns now, they retired not too long ago
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm not sure who else to share this with but there was a poet who wrote 30 songs about lil wayne in 30 days and some of them are pretty good. annoyingly workshopped, clearly, but still good

*ponders about the thug life*
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Like, I don't hate Hook. When it comes on, if it's been long enough, I'll be like yeah! This fucking song!

Because the hooooooooooook briiiings you baaaayyyyyyaaaahhhhuuuuuuhhhhuuuhhhhuuuuuuhhhhk :whistle:

I think If I heard it more than a few times in a month, I'd maybe drive my car through a daycare though

It's an ironic pop song!

It's supposed to make you feel like you might hurt yourself if you heard it all the time, even as it's so damned catchy that you will probably remember it for the rest of your life.

pachabel's canon.

srsly

Ya, that's part of it's brilliance.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    NPR on the weekends is the WORST radio station in the world, oh my god. I was stuck in traffic coming back from mother's day and I didn't have anything good on my phone, so I turn on the radio. It's all soft-spoken creepy guys in their 60s playing obscure jazz and big band recordings from the 1930s.

and that tune was a cover of grab your hat... first popularized by bernie meyer in the 1933 musical, louie the tramp... with seth johnson on the clarinet solo... and arthur goodsby on first trumpet.

next we have one of my favorite tunes from the london jazz company in recorded in the summer of 1922 let's see if you can identify this tune

rrrrrinky tinka-tinka rinky-tinka-tinka brrr durr durrr burrr dweeee deee deee deee

there are two npr stations in boston and you chose poorly

the other one has awesome weekends. wait wait don't tell me and this american life and car talk and later on the moth

man i love npr weekends
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I was a bigger fan of beatles, queen and the doors in the 90s than anything else

some days I silently thank my parents for that

they spared me from some of the worst in this world at a tender age.
    xlh6c3.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    I think Deebaser might have the most "my teenage years were the best" for music I've met in quite a while.

Check my username...
    Check my location...
    HOW OLD DO YOU THINK I AM??

This is all I could find.. http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/deebaser/poker/results/470E329AF4554B9CB62F9A4F56EDCD28.html?t=2

I don't think that's right ;) I figured you were 30ish and I know you have love for a lotta 90s bands, so was guessing.

Both reference pixies songs.
    Debaser & Where is My Mind

Oh man the one band I've actually liked, but never really got that into. Them and the buzzcocks, actually. You pass, as the pixies are pretty good.

Still gotta post less about your attemdance to the, "Wow that's what I call music 1997." Tours as that was my assumption for taste. ;)
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

the other one has awesome weekends. wait wait don't tell me and this american life and car talk and later on the moth

man i love npr weekends

Moth Radio Hour and This American Life are usually pretty good.

Jelly that I won't get to listen to The Great WBUR until the fall.
    network_sig2.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

It's an ironic pop song!

pachabel's canon.

srsly

Ya, that's part of it's brilliance.
    hnnnngh
    Per3th.jpg
    Hook is like if NOFX got every radio station in America to put "Please Play this Song on the Radio" in heavy rotation

#90snalogies
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    "buttery spread" def sounds like the kind of thing you could not legally put on the packaging of that product in my country.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    man i need to get laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid
    I was also a leonard cohen fan but I only ever heard the few songs that were on the tapes in the nissan
    xlh6c3.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Car Talk just annoys me now. But This American Life, Radiolab, and Weekend Edition are all excellent.

Of course by the time that DK is talking about listening to my NPR becomes BBC out of South Africa which is kind of entertaining on its own.
    falasig.png
    which were halleluja and first we take manhattan, I believe
    xlh6c3.png
    Will,

What about Pavement, Beck, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang?

There are a lot of great 90s bands. There was also a lot of bullshit. Same as it ever was.

hate pavement

i like beck okay. i feel like i probably admire him more than i like him.

i don't really like rhcp. i don't really like LA bands with few exceptions.

Dre was a way better producer than performer. his best stuff was really post-90s

wu tang aint nothin to fuck with. they're probably the bright spot of 90s rap for me.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I know they debuted and were around for a good part of the 80's, but if you are going to discuss 90's music and not bring up Faith No More...

steam_sig.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Hook is the best song ever
    IT BRINGS ME BACCCKKKKKKK
    I AINT TELLIN YOU NO CHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    THEEEE HOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKK
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Is This American Life always presented by the same guy, or different people.

Because I downloaded one podcast and it was presented by a guy that spoke like William Shatner, so didn't bother with any more. All STRANGE ... emphasis and ... weird pauses ... followedbyseveralwordsruntogether.

Should I be giving it another shot?
    japan on
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Must've been lousy timing because when I used to listen to NPR on the weekends it was always Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Car Talk and Cigar Dave

I'm always driving home at 8 or 9pm on a Sunday, and this "soft spoken guy plays really old jazz" shit is ALWAYS on. The better stuff seems to play in the middle of the day or early afternoon, but I don't normally travel then.

You should restructure your life to better cater to NPRs programming schedule.
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    "buttery spread" def sounds like the kind of thing you could not legally put on the packaging of that product in my country.

Yeah I think we've identified the problem

@Hamurabi you are using shitty oil-based butter substitute and it's probably gone rancid. Throw that shit out and never buy it again. It's pretty seriously bad for you, even if you get the kind with no trans-fats.

Just use butter.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

pearl jam/ soundgarden/ alice in chains were so. fucking. tedious. and samey.

the 90s downtempo r&b was terrible (r kelly, sisco, usher, jodeci, etc)

the boy bands were terrible

rap got really ugly and terrible in the 90s.

"big country" was a thing and it was terrible.

decent bands from the 90s:
    1) smashing pumpkins before they got bloated and terrible
    2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.
    I'd also consider Nirvana an 80s band, since Kurt killed himself in 94
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

We use this.

Guess I should try it with regular ass butter to see if that isn't the culprit, but I think it's really just the temperature of the eggs. Everything else is exactly the same.
    network_sig2.png
    japan wrote: »

Because I downloaded one podcast and it was presented by a guy that spoke like William Shatner, so didn't bother with any more. All STRANGE ... emphasis and ... weird pauses ... followedbyseveralwordsruntogether.

Ira Glass is the Host.
    Other people tell most of the stories.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

He has sang many good songs over the years. Worth getting into, IMO.

@Hamurabi you are using shitty oil-based butter substitute and it's probably gone rancid. Throw that shit out and never buy it again. It's pretty seriously bad for you, even if you get the kind with no trans-fats.

Just use butter.

real butter is worth the money, speaking as a broke student whose meals as of late has been a big bag of store brand hotdogs mostly made of potato, rice, beans, and ground chicken that tastes like it's primarily made of the boney feathery parts of the chicken.
    xlh6c3.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Because I downloaded one podcast and it was presented by a guy that spoke like William Shatner, so didn't bother with any more.

There's always one main presenter, but the bulk of the actual talking is usually from a few different people. The main dude is Ira Glass, who has an amazing voice, and he usually does like, intros, and discusses the overall theme and will sometimes do his own segments or interviews, but a lot of the segments are from other often recurring contributors.
    hah, wow Will.

You really don't like RHCP? I mean, looking at Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and then jumping to Stadium Arcadium you don't like any of it?

They have evolved a lot!
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I like This American Life, I just don't drive enough to listen to a full story, and I'm not interested enough to pull it up in a browser

still used to just hooking my phone up to the car and putting the mp3s on shuffle on the weekend
    kaleedity on
    also, you should get that kind of legislation

because it's interesting to be able to vividly see the designer squirm when looking at the packaging of shredded not-cheese that's called "shredded"
    xlh6c3.png
    Hamurabi wrote: »

We use this.

Guess I should try it with regular ass butter to see if that isn't the culprit, but I think it's really just the temperature of the eggs. Everything else is exactly the same.

I never take my eggs out of the fridge until I use them, and I don't have the issue you're describing.

Throw away that processed shit and use real butter. For the rest of your life.
    Haphazard wrote: »

He has sang many good songs over the years. Worth getting into, IMO.

oh I listen to him now. I listen way more to the people I listened to as a very young kid than as a young teenager, these days.
    xlh6c3.png

Just use butter.

What's so bad about this? Expiration date is January 2014.

smartbalance_nutrition.jpg

In my experience regular ass butter is really really salty, and I'm trying to cut down on the sodium.
    network_sig2.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

man i love npr weekends

What is the other one. I listen to WGBH, 89.7. Please tell me the other one so I never have to listen to looney tunes background music for an hour ever again.
    dkmouthsig.png
This discussion has been closed.