Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• AldoAldo Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    relatedly, I read travel/moving stuff more often then most I suppose

and it's a fairly common refrain that [x city] is tough for new comers to make friends in

like seattle has the freeze, or minnesota is standoffish or whatever

and I think it's just because unless you move a lot, you're used to having the same group of friends and haven't had to make friends as a grownup maybe in a long time

and it can be hard, and also it's easier to make friends with other transplants because they're eager for friends too unlike people who have established circles and have been friends with the same people since school

so basically I don't think cities deserve these reps, I think people just need to learn how to make friends as adults : )

Making friends is haaaard

Plus thanks to the internet, all the friends I make are in like LA or Tennessee or Canada or Japan

Tragic!

I went through my facebook friendslist of 110 people and half of them are from abroad: India, UK, USA, Canada, Italy, Germany, France, Japan, Australia, New Zealand.
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    I've technically been to two chatters weddings.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    It upsets me that there are people out there that think Jimmy Hendrix's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

How do these people muddle through life burdened by their inferior opinions?

Even Dylan thought Hendrix did it better, Deebs.
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It upsets me that there are people out there that think Jimmy Hendrix's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

Did you sort out those crazy people who did not appreciate Hook by Blues Traveler?
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular

If by "people" you mean "pretty much everyone who has heard both", then yeah.

Dylan is a god-awful singer and a brilliant songwriter.
    Man what the 4-pack of the basic Magicka game is $7.50.

Less than $10 for four copies. That is a fucking steal.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    Magicka is awesome as fuck but I'd be wary of running it as a first-in-a-long-time pc game

it crashes so often that one of the first spells you gain access to makes fun of the game crashing so much

My buddy and I ran through the base campaign over a weekend a few months back and we crashed at least once per level (read: we still kept playing regardless)
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I used to constantly scan a place for escape routes. It was difficult spending time with Pony in his apartment, for instance, because it was on the 18th floor and the only way out was through his front door or the balcony. The front door would mean I'd have to run and call an elevator or head down eighteen flights of steps. So that'd constantly be running through my mind. Happily, I'm better now.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Anyone want Shogun 2: Total war for $7.50 on Steam? I have gotten a 75% off coupon for it.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

It's really a moot point since neither hold a candle to DMB.
    spool32 wrote: »
    is there anything else I should buy for my computer while I am on this buying spree

I picked up a stupidly good webcam so the grandparents can see soy in full 1080p

I can't think of anything else except maybe a new better router

Joystick
    drawing tablet
    2nd monitor

I have a xbox plug in thing to play arcade style games

I do not draw stuff

I used to love having 2 monitors but then at work I got a second one for free and gave it back because it was overwhelming

I don't know when this changed but I am ashamed of it

Yeah, this is a thing you should probably be embarrassed about.

Do you like Magicka and would you like to play later after you get your machine built?
    \
    Are you going to dual boot Win8 / Mac?

what is magicka

and mac? I am building a pc

you can't just install os x willy nilly

Magicka is a silly co-op steam game where you are a wizard and you press buttons to make spell combinations that you cast at your enemies. Your spells interact with the spells the other players are casting. It's a 2.5d isometric game.

it has 8 "elements" of magic that you can combine, like Fire makes you shoot fire. Rock makes you throw a rock. Fire + Rock makes a fireball.

Then you have 5 'slots' you can fill up each time you cast a spell, so like... Fire plus 4 rocks makes a REALLY BIG fireball.

Then it gets a little more complex, like Fire + water makes you shoot steam. But Water + (water+fire) = it starts raining everywhere, which makes it dangerous for electric monsters.

You can shoot healing beams at people or make shields or balls of negative energy that blow up when enemies run across them.

It's medium-fast paced and arcade-ish and lighthearted. There are also swords and guns and staffs and bad puns. You can play it in small bits. It is 4-player co-op.

It costs Like $2.50 right now so it is very damned cheap even if you buy all the amusing DLC

Here is a teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C7EFHt2IL4E

I should pick Magicka back up at some point. I only ever played it single-player and got tired of it fairly quickly, but I heard that it gets crazy fast when you're playing co-op.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

and it's a fairly common refrain that [x city] is tough for new comers to make friends in

and I think it's just because unless you move a lot, you're used to having the same group of friends and haven't had to make friends as a grownup maybe in a long time

and it can be hard, and also it's easier to make friends with other transplants because they're eager for friends too unlike people who have established circles and have been friends with the same people since school

so basically I don't think cities deserve these reps, I think people just need to learn how to make friends as adults : )

Plus thanks to the internet, all the friends I make are in like LA or Tennessee or Canada or Japan

Tragic!

I went through my facebook friendslist of 110 people and half of them are from abroad: India, UK, USA, Canada, Italy, Germany, France, Japan, Australia, New Zealand.
    i have like 30 facebook friends

only one isn't from the internet
    Per3th.jpg
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    the default controls for magicka are horrendous and there's no way to change them
    P10 wrote: »
    the default controls for magicka are horrendous and there's no way to change them

It's 100% controller enabled. But choosing spells isn't the fastest ever
    TehSloth wrote: »

o_O

Did you sort out those crazy people who did not appreciate Hook by Blues Traveler?

I don't remember.
    Oh God... I was poasting... I was hammered.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

Tragic!

You still have more IRL facebook friends than I do.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

Tragic!

Most of my internet friends live really close but I still mostly just see then on the internet.
    dkmouthsig.png
    P10 wrote: »

I tried to play it with a controller too, and I just couldn't get it to click for me. Oh well.

I don't remember.
    Oh God... I was poasting... I was hammered.

Time to look back through your notifications.

:)
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    I would absolutely recommend as much voice chat or skype or lanning with magicka as possible

playing in the same room with my buddy made the lightning bolt "woopsies" pretty awesome

Tragic!

You still have more IRL facebook friends than I do.
    not anymore i don't
    Per3th.jpg
    shalmelo wrote: »

Even Dylan thought Hendrix did it better, Deebs.

He's wrong.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Magicka is a ton of fun, mixing magic and getting crazy effects is great.

But it is so fucking buggy. I didn't get very far in the co-op before a progress stopping bug showed up.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

if i were in the business of sending people to death camps, "do you enjoy the music of blues traveler? would you play it in a public situation?" would be one of the few questions on the form.

I busted that out at karaoke a few months back. That's a legitimately great song (even if the high notes are a little rough).
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I would absolutely recommend as much voice chat or skype or lanning with magicka as possible

playing in the same room with my buddy made the lightning bolt "woopsies" pretty awesome

Yes 50% of the fun of that game is going " *audible wince* oooh, yeah, that's not what I tried to cast... "
    Irond Will wrote: »

if i were in the business of sending people to death camps, "do you enjoy the music of blues traveler? would you play it in a public situation?" would be one of the few questions on the form.

You are the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.
    the only time i played magicka it was like a four person co-op

it was frankly too zany. like, you couldn't figure out what was going on because you were constantly getting zapped and shit.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

One of my relatives has been close friends with blues traveler since high school
    G2Dcf.jpg

o_O

That like, 5 minute part where they just play the same thing over and over again, so good.

i actually hate the spin doctors way worse than i do blues traveler, but i put them in the same bin.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    I only have one Facebook friend.

Tom.
    network_sig2.png

o_O

That like, 5 minute part where they just play the same thing over and over again, so good.
    this is never good unless you're Can
    Per3th.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    hello chat
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death

i actually hate the spin doctors way worse than i do blues traveler, but i put them in the same bin.

Is this like a thing where you don't like bands from the northeast or are you so musically broken that you hate the harmonica or something?

This is a problem I think we could correct with surgery.
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    nvm
    Aldo on
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    the only time i played magicka it was like a four person co-op

it was frankly too zany. like, you couldn't figure out what was going on because you were constantly getting zapped and shit.

Eventually it settles down as everyone learns to play and it's a lot more fun but that's when the bugs start.
    dkmouthsig.png
    y2jake215 wrote: »

One of my relatives has been close friends with blues traveler since high school

does deafness run in your family?
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Man, I can't even think of the lyrics or name of any of their songs, but have that, "loyoooooooooo" theyndomstuck in my head. :(
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
This discussion has been closed.