Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i don't listen to any music i did when i was a kid

there's no place in my collection for dead weight

Luckily I was a kid in the 90s so there is no dead weight.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    is this gonna end up like my friend who said that he thinks that playing music in general is a pretty feminine thing that he can't have anything to do with

I know that's not what's being said here at all; it's just I have to vent somewhere that this was a guy's opinion
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The problem with Magicka when I played was that brute force, using the crazy steam+electric beams, was so powerful and effective that it made all the other, creative options almost pointless
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Ah hah. I dug through my post history. It was surprisingly lucid. The thesis is that "hook by blues traveler was the most perfect ironic pop song ever"

This is indisputable.

Best pop song ever in the 90s?! :rotate: next you'll be telling me how hootie and the blowfish got robbed, and their deep cuts were the real deal.

someone i think it was narwhal posted a video of hootie singing wagon wheel. i guess he's still making music

Yea, but he's going by like, his real name now, right? I've heard weird stories about him barning on to try and get a second shot at fame, ala Vanilla Ice.

I hate country music but his country career has netted him two platinum albums and several number one hits.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

pearl jam/ soundgarden/ alice in chains were so. fucking. tedious. and samey.

the 90s downtempo r&b was terrible (r kelly, sisco, usher, jodeci, etc)

the boy bands were terrible

rap got really ugly and terrible in the 90s.

"big country" was a thing and it was terrible.

decent bands from the 90s:
    1) smashing pumpkins before they got bloated and terrible
    2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

• TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    is this gonna end up like my friend who said that he thinks that playing music in general is a pretty feminine thing that he can't have anything to do with

I know that's not what's being said here at all; it's just I have to vent somewhere that this was a guy's opinion

Weird, I don't think I've ever heard anything like that, but I guess I could see where someone might get the opinion that anything artistic is feminine, even if it's rock n' roll
  • tapeslingertapeslinger utter Yog-Sothothery mmm, soulsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    It upsets me that there are people out there that think Jimmy Hendrix's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

How do these people muddle through life burdened by their inferior opinions?

Did you sort out those crazy people who did not appreciate Hook by Blues Traveler?

if i were in the business of sending people to death camps, "do you enjoy the music of blues traveler? would you play it in a public situation?" would be one of the few questions on the form.

You are the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.

i actually hate the spin doctors way worse than i do blues traveler, but i put them in the same bin.

making all the sad faces.

the worst part is, no one said they hated nor loved that song

deebaser was too busy celebrating being totally wrong to listen to us

How the hell did that even come up?
    They were playing Bee Trav, weren't they?

they played the other song that was popular, that wasn't Hook, and you went off on what could only be characterized as a cane-shaking, get-dem-damn-kids-off-mah-harmonica-playin'-lawn diatribe about how Hook is the perfect pop song.

The ironic part works, yes
    best? mais, non, brosephine
    Hey! You! Go bid on awesome things! http://solidsaints.com
    jayxwolf.com || twit || fb || writing || ravelry || dA || g++
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Darius Rucker's country albums are excellent country albums if you are of the opinion country music didn't die when Garth Brooks debuted The Thunder Rolls.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    I am inordinately upset that for the past 2-3 days my eggs have been really runny and porridge-like and shitty. I think it's because I'm using eggs from the fridge; we normally leave them out and they're just room-temperature, which is fine because the AC's on pretty much all day. I think room-temperature eggs just work much better, and always give me extremely neat and fluffy eggs.

It's either the cold eggs or the butter substitute thing we're using has gone bad somehow.
    network_sig2.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    NPR on the weekends is the WORST radio station in the world, oh my god. I was stuck in traffic coming back from mother's day and I didn't have anything good on my phone, so I turn on the radio. It's all soft-spoken creepy guys in their 60s playing obscure jazz and big band recordings from the 1930s.

and that tune was a cover of grab your hat... first popularized by bernie meyer in the 1933 musical, louie the tramp... with seth johnson on the clarinet solo... and arthur goodsby on first trumpet.

next we have one of my favorite tunes from the london jazz company in recorded in the summer of 1922 let's see if you can identify this tune

rrrrrinky tinka-tinka rinky-tinka-tinka brrr durr durrr burrr dweeee deee deee deee
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    I think Deebaser might have the most "my teenage years were the best" for music I've met in quite a while.

Check my username...
    Check my location...
    HOW OLD DO YOU THINK I AM??

This is all I could find.. http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/deebaser/poker/results/470E329AF4554B9CB62F9A4F56EDCD28.html?t=2

I don't think that's right ;) I figured you were 30ish and I know you have love for a lotta 90s bands, so was guessing.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Will,

What about Pavement, Beck, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang?

There are a lot of great 90s bands. There was also a lot of bullshit. Same as it ever was.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I dig Foo Fighters more than Beck, but the rest of that list is ok with me (differ some on order, but that's not important).
    What about Nine Inch Nails or is being active in the 80's disqualifying as a 90's band

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that it's not because you dislike nine inch nails
  • tapeslingertapeslinger utter Yog-Sothothery mmm, soulsRegistered User regular
    sounds like the butter substitute, Hamurabi
    Hey! You! Go bid on awesome things! http://solidsaints.com
    jayxwolf.com || twit || fb || writing || ravelry || dA || g++
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    NPR on the weekends is the WORST radio station in the world, oh my god. I was stuck in traffic coming back from mother's day and I didn't have anything good on my phone, so I turn on the radio. It's all soft-spoken creepy guys in their 60s playing obscure jazz and big band recordings from the 1930s.

and that tune was a cover of grab your hat... first popularized by bernie meyer in the 1933 musical, louie the tramp... with seth johnson on the clarinet solo... and arthur goodsby on first trumpet.

next we have one of my favorite tunes from the london jazz company in recorded in the summer of 1922 let's see if you can identify this tune

rrrrrinky tinka-tinka rinky-tinka-tinka brrr durr durrr burrr dweeee deee deee deee

Must've been lousy timing because when I used to listen to NPR on the weekends it was always Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Car Talk and Cigar Dave
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular

But up next, the People's Pharmacy.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ah hah. I dug through my post history. It was surprisingly lucid. The thesis is that "hook by blues traveler was the most perfect ironic pop song ever"

This is indisputable.

Best pop song ever in the 90s?! :rotate: next you'll be telling me how hootie and the blowfish got robbed, and their deep cuts were the real deal.

someone i think it was narwhal posted a video of hootie singing wagon wheel. i guess he's still making music

Yea, but he's going by like, his real name now, right? I've heard weird stories about him barning on to try and get a second shot at fame, ala Vanilla Ice.

I hate country music but his country career has netted him two platinum albums and several number one hits.

Wow, so like an awesome second birth. Good for him.
    It is in country, though. Country Music stars music credentials are right up there with the successful psychics, imo, and my GF went to Belmont and majored in Music business. ;)
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I am inordinately upset that for the past 2-3 days my eggs have been really runny and porridge-like and shitty. I think it's because I'm using eggs from the fridge; we normally leave them out and they're just room-temperature, which is fine because the AC's on pretty much all day. I think room-temperature eggs just work much better, and always give me extremely neat and fluffy eggs.

It's either the cold eggs or the butter substitute thing we're using has gone bad somehow.

You're supposed to let your eggs sit outside of the fridge for a little before you cook them.

Also I think that whoever is cooking your eggs is doing it wrong more than anything to do with the temperature they were at.
    Lh96QHG.png
    I think Deebaser might have the most "my teenage years were the best" for music I've met in quite a while.

Check my username...
    Check my location...
    HOW OLD DO YOU THINK I AM??

This is all I could find.. http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/deebaser/poker/results/470E329AF4554B9CB62F9A4F56EDCD28.html?t=2

I don't think that's right ;) I figured you were 30ish and I know you have love for a lotta 90s bands, so was guessing.

Both reference pixies songs.
    Debaser & Where is My Mind
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Like, seriously, Country Music has more marketing behind it's success than pop music.. That's just mind boggling t me.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    D4TDmD1l.jpg
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

Older eggs get runny and putting them in the fridge doesn't do much but make them stay fresh longer, unless your fridge is shitty and keeps almost freezing them, which would definitely make them break down and get runny.
    dkmouthsig.png
    edited May 2013

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck

Pearl Jam / Soundgarden really don't sound the same at all.
    Where are G&R and Red Hot Chili Peppers on your list.
    Where is Jane's Addiction
    How is Counting Crows not there.
    What is this you are saying about West Coast gangsta rap when Dr Dre and Snoop had their heyday in that decade.
    What about New Jack Swing on the east coast.
    We haven't even touched Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily was released in 1995 and it is exceptional.

I think you have a strange opinion of the 90s!

Edit: Eminem released the Slim Shady album in 1999.
    spool32 on
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

You really don't need to refrigerate eggs if you're going to use them within a week or so, but that makes my wife nervous so I refrigerate them and then give them 10-15 minutes in a bowl of hot tap water before cracking.
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    Well if he cooks his eggs like he looks for cat shelters, he probably got bored by the time he put the eggs in the pan..poured them right back out and said "good enough."
    edited May 2013
    It upsets me that there are people out there that think Jimmy Hendrix's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

How do these people muddle through life burdened by their inferior opinions?

Did you sort out those crazy people who did not appreciate Hook by Blues Traveler?

if i were in the business of sending people to death camps, "do you enjoy the music of blues traveler? would you play it in a public situation?" would be one of the few questions on the form.

You are the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.

i actually hate the spin doctors way worse than i do blues traveler, but i put them in the same bin.

making all the sad faces.

the worst part is, no one said they hated nor loved that song

deebaser was too busy celebrating being totally wrong to listen to us

How the hell did that even come up?
    They were playing Bee Trav, weren't they?

they played the other song that was popular, that wasn't Hook, and you went off on what could only be characterized as a cane-shaking, get-dem-damn-kids-off-mah-harmonica-playin'-lawn diatribe about how Hook is the perfect pop song.

The ironic part works, yes
    best? mais, non, brosephine

It's the most perfect pop song because it is self aware that it is a terrible by-the-numbers pop song and was ironically massively successful.
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

There's Weekend Edition Saturday and WE Sunday; All Things Considered Weekends; and my local affiliate plays RadioLab on the weekends too. I don't like NPR's entertainment stuff (Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Prairie Home Companion etc.) so I skip all that.

But yes, their weekend stuff just does not compare. I also feel like Prairie Home Companion makes so many Christan in-jokes about different denominations and other general white-people cultural memes that I honestly get lost sometimes.
    network_sig2.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    seriously who the hell listens to weekend NPR and thinks

yes

this is what I want to listen to

Does he not realize that playing musics has been one of the best ways to ever get the chicks?
    oh shit nevermind I hella respect car talk

I just don't happen to catch it

sad it ended
    I mean, I wouldn't exactly classify it as machismo, but it's like a guy that cooks. Sure panty lubricator.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    that hook song is a strong contender for top ten pachabel's canon-like songs of the 90s. the bridge/ solo thing they do around 2:30 is really minor variation on the canon

Does he not realize that playing musics has been one of the best ways to ever get the chicks?

he recently broke up with his girlfriend and wanted my advice on how to start learning guitar, so this is likely the case
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    /stays out of the 90s argument this time

"ear cancer"
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I like Nirvana, especially that song No Rain
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i don't listen to any music i did when i was a kid

there's no place in my collection for dead weight

Luckily I was a kid in the 90s so there is no dead weight.
    your judgement is clouded by emotion

music has nothing to do with emotion
    Per3th.jpg
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck

All of the good 90s music was niche stuff. The 80s were better for pure pop, but like.

There was so much good electronic music in the 90s.

Autechre, Oval, Boards of Canada aren't even obscure

Loveless came out in 1991

If someone likes any form of niche-y metal music there were stupid good metal bands

Seriously, producers like J Dilla or the RZA were all 90s dudes

Who cares about Garth brooks and pearl jam?
    I should get some eggs.

Delicious eggs.
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013
    seriously who the hell listens to weekend NPR and thinks

yes

this is what I want to listen to

Car Talk, Prarie Home Companion, and the rest can diaf
    spool32 on
This discussion has been closed.