Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    There's a ustream app, and you can group chat on skype for the ipad but you'll need to plug that shit in because it eats batteries like whoa.

maybe I will invite chatters to skype with me as I assemble

we will see how I feel about this tomorrow

I can just imagine the looks my wife will give me
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Stolen from the 40k thread, this is awesome.

http://youtu.be/U8qglSV74XY
    falasig.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    There's a ustream app, and you can group chat on skype for the ipad but you'll need to plug that shit in because it eats batteries like whoa.

Do eeeet.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    I've gone to a bunch of online meetups that were started on my town's subreddit

they were okay

I haven't earned any long term budds online unless you discount the hobbit who I only met via these forums @arch

I'll still continue going to them because I can always use more contacts for anything

also I'm single as fuck and I need to start online dating or something

• y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I am le tired and le full of pasta

I want to take a nap
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    relatedly, I read travel/moving stuff more often then most I suppose

and it's a fairly common refrain that [x city] is tough for new comers to make friends in

like seattle has the freeze, or minnesota is standoffish or whatever

and I think it's just because unless you move a lot, you're used to having the same group of friends and haven't had to make friends as a grownup maybe in a long time

and it can be hard, and also it's easier to make friends with other transplants because they're eager for friends too unlike people who have established circles and have been friends with the same people since school

so basically I don't think cities deserve these reps, I think people just need to learn how to make friends as adults : )

i'm scared of doing that

nyc forever

I have made friends everywhere I have lived

it takes work and time is all

usually by the 1 year mark you have a pretty solid group
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    making friends is impossible

also, meeting girls
    Per3th.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    The secret to making friends is an engaging smile and a wandering hand. If you send me $50 I can post you the book. Allow 4-100 weeks to allow me to write the book. Cash first though

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'm not going to lie...I'm about as likely to meet the people on here that live a mile or two away from my house in person as I am to meet someone living in NYC, New Zealand, or Tokyo.

No offense to anyone, but I'm happy having internet friends that stay internet friends.
    steam_sig.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    relatedly, I read travel/moving stuff more often then most I suppose

and it's a fairly common refrain that [x city] is tough for new comers to make friends in

like seattle has the freeze, or minnesota is standoffish or whatever

and I think it's just because unless you move a lot, you're used to having the same group of friends and haven't had to make friends as a grownup maybe in a long time

and it can be hard, and also it's easier to make friends with other transplants because they're eager for friends too unlike people who have established circles and have been friends with the same people since school

so basically I don't think cities deserve these reps, I think people just need to learn how to make friends as adults : )

boston was kind of hard to break into at first

tons of people just have the circles they came up with, and tons more came here for college and stayed, so they have those circles. also, frankie has social anxiety and isn't really very good at making friends in general.

we've made a lot of friends now, though, mostly just from being around the neighborhood and meeting people at bars or the dog park. it's nice having a bunch of friends in walking distance.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

That is goddamn amazing.

It really looks like the outfit has weight to it.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    uhhh, lights do not affect electricity bills significantly, even old non-cfl bulbs. It's negligible. Power draw is from appliances.

A few pages back because chat took off, but, SPOKEN LIKE SOMEONE WITH 3 LIGHTS IN THEIR HOUSE.

My brother in law has a smart meter in his house now, and the electricity company gave him a little wireless tablet thing with an LCD display that shows how much power you're using at that very moment, and the instantaneous electricity price.

He is driving his wife up the wall by running around turning things on and off an pointing out how much it causes the power consumption to go up or down.
    If you wish to save your sisters sanity, those things are battery operated. And they run through it remarkably quickly.

We never used it once it ran out.

This one has a little charging cradle so I think their marriage is doomed.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    There's apparently a type of cheese made by leaving it out for maggots to infest. M
    Nope !
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera

I would be happy to help Skippy. No webcam though.
    falasig.png
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular
    I would totally invite a [chat]friends to my birthday party, y'all are classy as fuck/outrageous as fuck.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Welp, I think I just disappointed my girlfriend because there's hardly any friends coming to my birthday party. She's a social butterfly, I'm a grumpy hippo with only 2 good friends who live relatively nearby. Everyone else I ever considered a friend either never talks to me or lives far away. Friends I made in college I have scared off and offended during bouts of depression, I don't know anyone my age in the town I currently live in and I don't like sports much at all. Acquiring new friends is not something I have ever been able to do reliably anyway.

God damn it, internet people, why don't you live in Gouda?

i have been to gouda! it seemed so pleasant!

i would def come to your birthday! but i don't speak any dutch, so it would probably be kind of awkward.

i'm not sure if i know any tricks for making friends. if its any consolation, you seem like a super-nice guy and i'm kind of surprised that you don't have more. i guess circumstances are what they are.

Well thanks! It is a very plesant city. Thanks for thinking I'm a nice guy!
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Welp, I think I just disappointed my girlfriend because there's hardly any friends coming to my birthday party. She's a social butterfly, I'm a grumpy hippo with only 2 good friends who live relatively nearby. Everyone else I ever considered a friend either never talks to me or lives far away. Friends I made in college I have scared off and offended during bouts of depression, I don't know anyone my age in the town I currently live in and I don't like sports much at all. Acquiring new friends is not something I have ever been able to do reliably anyway.

God damn it, internet people, why don't you live in Gouda?

If if makes you feel any better, I've got a few friends at work, but otherwise I don't have any friends.

I mean...there are the husbands of my wife's friends we see every few months that I get along with.

But otherwise, nope. You guys are all I've got aside from my family. Hell, my dad was my best man and when one of my other two friends (who I haven't seen since 2008) backed out, one of my wife's friends husbands filled in as my groomsman.

So don't despair. If your girlfriend is social, just absorb her social circle. It's a hell of a lot easier, because you have the benefits but don't really have any obligations yourself.

This is almost too much like I Love You, Man. :P

Well, I'm glad that I have some people outside of the interbutts and family who I can call friends, but it's depressing as hell to know that your girlfriend expects everyone to have an active social life.

My wife thought that movie was hilarious, and she doesn't even like Jason Segel.

There were a few parts that hit a little close to home though. :)

Ah well, it's really not bad.
    It's a very cute movie, I liked it even though it was intended to make me self-concious about not swimming in friends and balancing that with loving the fuck out of your wife.
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    I would love a set of Space Marine armor like that but Salamanders because they are the best.

is the convention being held in an elementary school?

Hell if I know, it is in Europe land.

But the suit is pretty well done.
    falasig.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I've gone to a bunch of online meetups that were started on my town's subreddit

they were okay

I haven't earned any long term budds online unless you discount the hobbit who I only met via these forums arch

I'll still continue going to them because I can always use more contacts for anything

also I'm single as fuck and I need to start online dating or something

I met my last girlfriend on a forum.

Forums seem like a fine way to meet people to date. It helps if the ratio of people interested in people like you to people like you is um, better than I'm assuming it is for you here though.

• DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    It upsets me that there are people out there that think Jimmy Hendrix's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

How do these people muddle through life burdened by their inferior opinions?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

cant be

a 40k convention effectively has to be 500 yards from schools. YMCAs too.
    919UOwT.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    Hey UK butts, I just discovered a fairly unnerving message on the ol 1571, from last week;

It starts off pretty incomprehensible, I'm sure there's a hello in there somewhere, but it's so quiet it's hard to tell. The lady on the phone is speaking to someone else saying something about the call, then there's a name (I think) and she says "how are you doing, call me OK?" all while very tearful and upset and such.

Now! The name sounds like someone my nan knows, so it's conceivable this call was meant for her and not some random misdial. But my nan has no contact number for this person. SO! Is there a way to get a return phone number off a 1571 message?
    camo_sig2.png
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Making friends is easy. After school, it's critical to maintain hobbies that will put you in contact with the kind of people you want to associate with.

Want to meet neckbeards, join a DnD group, etc etc
    eokNV.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I'm not going to lie...I'm about as likely to meet the people on here that live a mile or two away from my house in person as I am to meet someone living in NYC, New Zealand, or Tokyo.

No offense to anyone, but I'm happy having internet friends that stay internet friends.

this post bothers me. A lot. The fact that you categorize "internet" people from "real" people is just..othering to me.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek

because i live in boston, i've met a lot of people who come to visit for pax. i have a fantastic time with them every year. i also have made some local friends from the board who i see all year round. also, when people visit boston, we often plan some sort of meetup.

also, whenever i visit nyc, or if i'm near denver, i generally meet up with people. probably i could do the same with most cities.

really, this board has been pretty good to me. with a few notable exceptions, the people i've met on here have been great folks and not nearly as nerdily dysfunctional as i expected.
    TL DR wrote: »
    Making friends is easy. After school, it's critical to maintain hobbies that will put you in contact with the kind of people you want to associate with.

Want to meet neckbeards, join a DnD group, etc etc

Yes you can also join groups for hobbies, support groups, etc.

That last one is maybe only applicable to some people.

this post bothers me. A lot. The fact that you categorize "internet" people from "real" people is just..othering to me.

Internet people are much more likely to get "nerd" all over you.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    you know how hard it is to get 5 guys together to play dnd when they all have different kinds of jobs and half of them are married and half of them are in school and oh my god it's insane
    I have met a ton of folks in CO from the forums. Met tons of non-CO people from the forums. Put up one in my house. Shared rooms with others at like PAX. And I consider most folks here a good network to have to meet folks where ever I end up.
    falasig.png
    Oh dear. Went to the toilet, then without thinking, after washing my hands I cleaned my teeth. It is 6PM and I just got home.

It appears my body has a routine
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Deebaser wrote: »
    It upsets me that there are people out there that think Jimmy Hendrix's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

doesn't bob dylan think jimmy hendrix's watchtower is better

also bob dylan is terrible
    Elendil on
    Per3th.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    I guess social anxiety is a different beast but learn2smalltalk and embrace failure.
    eokNV.jpg
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Oh dear. Went to the toilet, then without thinking, after washing my hands I cleaned my teeth. It is 6PM and I just got home.

It appears my body has a routine

give it some time and you'll be like my dad

all carrying a toothbrush in his pocket, brushing his teeth in public bathrooms after a meal
    I have met a ton of folks in CO from the forums. Met tons of non-CO people from the forums. Put up one in my house. Shared rooms with others at like PAX. And I consider most folks here a good network to have to meet folks where ever I end up.

Thanks to the forum I know I can stay at Quid's for a bit if I need to.

So yeah pretty neat.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Literally everyone that I am friends with right now is someone I would not have met without the PA forums.

Aaron and I met through chat, I met his friends through him.
    Pony and I met through SE++, now we're roommates.
    Rolo, BeNarwhal, Forar... I've hung out with a ton of Toronto forumers.

Frankly the only reason I don't spend more time with random PA people in Toronto is because if I don't organize a dinner or meet up, no one does, so if I don't have the time or inclination to do so it doesn't happen.
    Elendil wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

doesn't bob dylan think jimmy hendrix's watchtower is better

also bob dylan is terrible

I feel sorry for how difficult it must be for you to function.
    smh
    s-m-h
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    is there anything else I should buy for my computer while I am on this buying spree

I picked up a stupidly good webcam so the grandparents can see soy in full 1080p

I can't think of anything else except maybe a new better router

Joystick
    drawing tablet
    2nd monitor

I have a xbox plug in thing to play arcade style games

I do not draw stuff

I used to love having 2 monitors but then at work I got a second one for free and gave it back because it was overwhelming

I don't know when this changed but I am ashamed of it

Yeah, this is a thing you should probably be embarrassed about.

Do you like Magicka and would you like to play later after you get your machine built?
    \
    Are you going to dual boot Win8 / Mac?

what is magicka

and mac? I am building a pc

you can't just install os x willy nilly

Magicka is a silly co-op steam game where you are a wizard and you press buttons to make spell combinations that you cast at your enemies. Your spells interact with the spells the other players are casting. It's a 2.5d isometric game.

it has 8 "elements" of magic that you can combine, like Fire makes you shoot fire. Rock makes you throw a rock. Fire + Rock makes a fireball.

Then you have 5 'slots' you can fill up each time you cast a spell, so like... Fire plus 4 rocks makes a REALLY BIG fireball.

Then it gets a little more complex, like Fire + water makes you shoot steam. But Water + (water+fire) = it starts raining everywhere, which makes it dangerous for electric monsters.

You can shoot healing beams at people or make shields or balls of negative energy that blow up when enemies run across them.

It's medium-fast paced and arcade-ish and lighthearted. There are also swords and guns and staffs and bad puns. You can play it in small bits. It is 4-player co-op.

It costs Like $2.50 right now so it is very damned cheap even if you buy all the amusing DLC

Here is a teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C7EFHt2IL4E

spool32 on
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Huh. It's certainly not meant to be offensive at all. I kind of think everyone puts people in 'categories'...if my wife's friends are coming over for a Christmas party, I'm not going to invite my friends from work. Different circles and all that.

I'm just not likely to go and meet up with people, or invite everyone over to my house. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy talking and chatting on here...

Christ, now I need to think about this and evaluate my own decisions and thoughts. And I'm still not getting work done.
    steam_sig.png
    I think making friends is pretty easy, but I've never gone totally cold into a situation, where I have no fall back support, while I make local friends. Things might be a lot harder if I moved somewhere without school, a job or pre-existing friends.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I guess social anxiety is a different beast but learn2smalltalk and embrace failure.

social anxiety assumes you have embraced failure so fully you see nothing but failure everywhere. Small talk is hard when the only thing running through your head is "Oh shit, is my back against the wall? I could be flanked at any minute. Where are the exits? There? Good. Oh shit, am I in his way? Why won't he walk away, why is he standing so close to me? Oh, he's looking at the peanut butter. FUCK HIS PEANUT BUTTER, MOVE GUY. Why won't he move? Oh shit, now this lady needs to look at something, I'm in the way. Fuck it, I'll just come back later. Lets see what aisles are empty. Oh. The Baking aisle is empty. Well, I guess I need....nothing. I need nothing on this aisle. But it's empty. I like empty."
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
This discussion has been closed.