Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• override367override367 Registered User regular
    and now my car needs new bearings

make $300 a week

spent $1400 in auto repairs in the last month counting this new thing, also school fucking fin aid up so I have to pay out of pocket until the paperwork all catches up and I get back paid

it's sure a good thing I built up a rapidly depleting stockpile of cash or I'd be beyond fucked atm
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    I have come to the conclusion that beer makes me fat

which is so sad
    NO.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I happen to know for a fact that I weigh exactly 200.7 lbs as a 6'4" man because that's what I weighed at intake when I had a tick removed from my ankle this afternoon.

No, wait, that was intake, after all the digging I guess it's probably closer to 200.6 lbs now.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »

which is so sad

switching to whiskey and gin stat!
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    The insidious thing about my brand of mania is that you think you're just having a really good day and you've finally gotten healthy. In fact, why am I even taking these meds? I feel great. I could wrestle a bear.

And then I feel absolutely devastated when the bear beats me, and everyone gets to say "I told you so, about the wrestling bears thing", only for me to completely forget how awful the bear wrestling incident went for me the last time I tried it and do it all over again the next time I'm manic.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I had kinda given up hope on Star Trek: Into Darkness because I read a couple of early reviews 2 weeks ago and they haaaaated it.

Mind you it was aint it cool news

My take on it is kind of: it's definitely a more tightly put together film than the first, but if you hated that, you'll hate this.

I loved the first so I sound good to go. Plus it'sat 90% on RT with 67 reviews
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Hey! No quotations! I legitimately forget!

You forget because

1. You've had to overcome an ingrained misconceived notion towards the subject due to your upbringing and experience and a lack of education on the matter
    2. You, like most bipolar people, struggle with time management that isn't blocked out for you. (ie, outside work hours)
    3. You have gut issues that make it hard for you to take your meds without food, which means taking your meds properly relies on you eating properly, which is entirely its own issue to tackle.

those are the primary things that cause you to actually forget, versus opting not to because of mania
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    I have a few pictures from when I was 17-18 somewhere and oh wow, my face was skeletal.
    Echo on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    The insidious thing about my brand of mania is that you think you're just having a really good day and you've finally gotten healthy. In fact, why am I even taking these meds? I feel great. I could wrestle a bear.

And then I feel absolutely devastated when the bear beats me, and everyone gets to say "I told you so, about the wrestling bears thing", only for me to completely forget how awful the bear wrestling incident went for me the last time I tried it and do it all over again the next time I'm manic.

that sounds unbearable
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    i am 6'1 and i think the lowest i have ever been is 145lbs, and that was scary for me

i am 175 right now and i still think i am too thin

i'm your height. i'm at around 190 right now and would like to get down to around 170-175. i looked and felt better at that weight

not sure i'd want to be all the way back down to like 150. that was pretty thin

190ish is my ideal weight

can we trade bodies
    Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited May 2013
    yikes dealing with bouts of depression lately and after this car repair I'll be getting back into "Terrified to look at my bank balance" territory, that was a good feeling to always have and I welcome its return
    override367 on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I am 5'10, roughly 158-163. I would like to be 175 I think. Of muscle, not just weight

That'd be grand
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

which is so sad

So what you do is this:

Get yourself a 20 lb beer coozy.

Don't use a table, just set that bottle right down on the floor.

• MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    I have a few pictures from when I was 17-18 somewhere and oh wow, my face was :avface:.

Mortious on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I need to lose about thirty pounds.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Hey! No quotations! I legitimately forget!

It always seems like perhaps there is an active effort to block out remembering when you get into that cycle. It's in quotes because I don't think you're lying about forgetting but that perhaps are avoiding remembering.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    I have a few pictures from when I was 17-18 somewhere and oh wow, my face was skeletal.

so you were avfacing
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    On August 31, 2012, Japanese mathematician Shinichi Mochizuki posted four papers on the Internet.

The titles were inscrutable. The volume was daunting: 512 pages in total. The claim was audacious: he said he had proved the ABC Conjecture, a famed, beguilingly simple number theory problem that had stumped mathematicians for decades.

The problem, as many mathematicians were discovering when they flocked to Mochizuki’s website, was that the proof was impossible to read. The first paper, entitled “Inter-universal Teichmuller Theory I: Construction of Hodge Theaters,” starts out by stating that the goal is “to establish an arithmetic version of Teichmuller theory for number fields equipped with an elliptic curve…by applying the theory of semi-graphs of anabelioids, Frobenioids, the etale theta function, and log-shells.”

This is not just gibberish to the average layman. It was gibberish to the math community as well.
    “You don’t get to say you’ve proved something if you haven’t explained it,” she says. “A proof is a social construct. If the community doesn’t understand it, you haven’t done your job.”

http://projectwordsworth.com/the-paradox-of-the-proof/

I read that the other day. It is interesting. Mostly because this guy, unlike the surprisingly large number of math-quacks out there who behave in a similar fashion, actually has the education and previous published work to make this worth paying attention to.

But his behavior is indeed very odd. For such a basic theorem, no one can use his work without a lot of independent verification of his proof. So, in it's current state, it is useless.

edit: I mean "basic" as in, useful as a base or tool in other theories. Unlike, say, Fermat's Last Theorem which has no application only interest because of the oddity of it's history.
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    i am 6'1 and i think the lowest i have ever been is 145lbs, and that was scary for me

i am 175 right now and i still think i am too thin

i'm your height. i'm at around 190 right now and would like to get down to around 170-175. i looked and felt better at that weight

not sure i'd want to be all the way back down to like 150. that was pretty thin

I don't know that 2" makes an enormous difference, but when I was 180-185 @ 6'3" people were constantly telling me I looked sick; I also have a broad frame though so maybe that did it. 145 @ 6'1" sounds like fucking starvation level thin.
    network_sig2.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    I still need to lose about 100lbs

:(
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    beer, I wish I could quit you

but you are so tasty especially in summer
    NO.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Right, right, I forget because of those reasons, I don't "forget".
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

for me, my mania causes laser-focus. Like most people who struggle with bipolar when I'm manic I'll start projects or have ideas and smash into them with crazy amounts of effort. But even when I don't do that, I'll like... lose myself in playing video games for six hours.

Not in a depressed "I'm playing video games to just pass the time" kind of way, but in this really engrossed "HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS GAME" kind of way and then I'm like "oh fuck it's 5 am"

hah, yeah. Which can be a useful mindset to be in on occasion.
    xlh6c3.png
    The absolutely worst thing about my own condition is that I am doomed to make the same mistakes over and over again in a horrific Sisyphean cycle.

Every.

Freaking.

Time.

I am literally resistant to learning from my own mistakes.
    vspgsp.jpg

i look at pictures of me from when i was 17-18 and i look like a different person to me

so skinny and babyfaced and look at those braces and how did i think those oakleys are cool and wow did i really do my hair like that
    919UOwT.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i get these manic-ish states every so often

they're like tiny revolutions

THINGS ARE GOING TO CHANGE AROUND HERE
    I'M GOING TO FIX EVERYTHING
    I'M GOING TO

and by the next morning the regime has retaken control, rounded up and shot the ringleaders, and put the propagandist to work double-time
    Per3th.jpg
    I need to lose about 60 more lbs

fuck it when you've lost 200, what's another 60
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Losing weight is easy when you have a stomach disease! Well, actually, keeping weight on is hard. But it looks the same from a distance
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I don't know that 2" makes an enormous difference, but when I was 180-185 @ 6'3" people were constantly telling me I looked sick; I also have a broad frame though so maybe that did it. 145 @ 6'1" sounds like fucking starvation level thin.

I have pretty broad shoulders for being as thin as I am. Like, I've been asked if I work out when I wear a turtleneck.

Yeah, been at starvation level. BMI hovering at 15 at the time.
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    lose weight while kayaking
    Pony wrote: »
    I need to lose about thirty pounds.

This is a thing I need to do also.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    so the mathematical condition "x >= 1" expresses "x is more than or equal to one". in common english, assuming the value 1 was a proper value for x, we might associate this with the words "x is sufficient" or "x is enough"

is there a similar word for the condition "x <= 1" or "x is up to but not more than this amount"?
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Just got out-bid on yet another house, making us a solid 0 for 4.

Fuck this housing market. Fuck it hard.
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Winky wrote: »

that sounds unbearable

i would just want to crawl into a cave and hibernate
    919UOwT.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i need to lose about 3000 pounds
    Per3th.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I still need to lose about 100lbs

:(

Do you even lift?

Because if not, you should. And run. The actual mechanisms of getting into shape are not complicated; it's the discipline and time commitment that holds people back, imo (myself included).
    network_sig2.png
    Elendil wrote: »
    i get these manic-ish states every so often

they're like tiny revolutions

THINGS ARE GOING TO CHANGE AROUND HERE
    I'M GOING TO FIX EVERYTHING
    I'M GOING TO

and by the next morning the regime has retaken control, rounded up and shot the ringleaders, and put the propagandist to work double-time

"CLEAN ALL THE THINGS."

It's a pretty common experience that I think a lot of us suffer from.
    vspgsp.jpg
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Just got out-bid on yet another house, making us a solid 0 for 4.

Fuck this housing market. Fuck it hard.

It's a buyer's market.

...just not YOUR market
This discussion has been closed.