Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    God every time I link this or see this linked I want them to do the whole movie so bad

umuad.jpg

He is ...so pretty.

i don't understand why he isn't in more things...
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I asked a girl to come to the movie with me and she turned me done.

Welp, there's the last reason to keep living down the toilet. See ya.

Don't look at it that way. Look at it like Hova does. You got 99 problems but a bitch still aint one.

ah but you see that's not true in my case.

It's complicated.

Actually it's not complicated I'm just not a good person.

I often find that people who think they aren't good people, are good people who recognize their flaws and have trouble reconciling them with their inherent goodness; whereas, truly horrible people not only think they are wonderful, but fail to discern any of their actions as awful.

You're not a bad person, you're just cursed with a conscience, and a desire to be better than you are. But isn't that what separates us from the apes?

Ludious on
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My weight has pretty much stayed the same in Japan but my body composition has changed pretty dramatically.

My forearms for example have like, really increased in thickness (kendo, not jerking it, before you make the obvious joke). Which is neat, but fitting into shirts designed for Japanese men has become a little tricky sometimes.

Hmmm. Someone should combine kendo and jerking

kenderbation

....maybe not

it's a big thing in germany

i hear

German puns. I approve.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

Abdhy I will be your movie buddy. I always need a movie buddy.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    My weight has pretty much stayed the same in Japan but my body composition has changed pretty dramatically.

My forearms for example have like, really increased in thickness (kendo, not jerking it, before you make the obvious joke). Which is neat, but fitting into shirts designed for Japanese men has become a little tricky sometimes.

kenderbation

....maybe not

Time for a speculative blog post??

Now off to bed for I to read Earthsea while watching Red Dwarf.

There shall be some strange dreams
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    tyrannus wrote: »
    so the mathematical condition "x >= 1" expresses "x is more than or equal to one". in common english, assuming the value 1 was a proper value for x, we might associate this with the words "x is sufficient" or "x is enough"

is there a similar word for the condition "x <= 1" or "x is up to but not more than this amount"?

obviously it's "X SUX"

how do they even let you accounts out of school?
    we need as many accountants as possible to keep track of how ugly you are

well account school sounds terrible and apparently they just let anyone in.
    they do but the problem is they don't let anyone out without absolutely destroying them

and then the account goes on to teach account school

and destroy the young, bright-eyed accounts

thus the cycle continues
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Seeing a plan form here. Fill out the time off request for her. Authorize said time off request. Submit my own. Have her spend the night before. Inform her in the morning that I arranged with her boss to give her the day off. Breakfast goes here. Need to work that out. Spa day. Needs mud. Dinner and dancing maybe?

I did a similar thing for my proposal, just didn't tell my wife that she had leave. Just stole her cell phone and refused to let her go to work.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I bet your calves are also huge.

My calves have always been pretty large (I think its because I have flat feet? I don't have like, scientific backing for this, just gut feeling. But even in my days when all I did was sit in a chair playing WoW people would usually ask me what sport I played when they saw my calves. I dunno) but from kendo they are now like, rock fucking hard.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

kenderbation

....maybe not

it's a big thing in germany

i hear

German puns. I approve.

was kind of punching above my weight on that one

i know like maybe twenty german words
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I've been reading the bible.

Let's be honest, this writing is pretty shitty.

Could be the translation.

The original is actually worse, all things considered. There are some parts that were just straight up lifted from classical Greek writers because that was the only way they could persuade the literate world to read it and teach it to their sons.

Like that bit in Mark about Jesus and the disciples sailing up to the island inhabited by the demoniac named "legion?" Basically a plagiarism of the part in the Odyssey where Odysseus and his band sail up to the island inhabited by the cyclops, and he tells him that his name is "no man."
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    God every time I link this or see this linked I want them to do the whole movie so bad

umuad.jpg

He is ...so pretty.

:winky:
    vspgsp.jpg
    08:00 to probably around midday on constitution day is covered. And now is 19:00 to late, too.

I haven't looked forward to the 17th of may like this in ages. This is gonna be a good day.
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

what part? I can only go by the word of various scholars I have read but some bits are apparently very well written.

But if you are starting at the beginning, then Genesis is a confused muddle of contradictory different sources mashed into one document. Though the story of Jacob is supposed to be well written.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I bet your calves are also huge.

My calves have always been pretty large (I think its because I have flat feet? I don't have like, scientific backing for this, just gut feeling. But even in my days when all I did was sit in a chair playing WoW people would usually ask me what sport I played when they saw my calves. I dunno) but from kendo they are now like, rock fucking hard.

You might be onto something with calves an flat feet. I have both.

I miss my rock hard calves I had in Japan. I could crush rocks with them. Now they are only semi-hard.
    falasig.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kitty pic.

PwIde3D.jpg

Either he hasn't moved in 24 hours or you're recycling pictures!

Don't look at it that way. Look at it like Hova does. You got 99 problems but a bitch still aint one.

It's complicated.

I often find that people who think they aren't good people, are good people who recognize their flaws and have trouble reconciling them with their inherent goodness; whereas, truly horrible people not only think they are wonderful, but fail to discern any of their actions as awful.

You're not a bad person, you're just cursed with a conscience, and a desire to be better than you are. But isn't that what separates us from the apes?

mostly i think he's just trying to get a new girlfriend without first breaking up with the current one

it's pretty lousy
    SammyF wrote: »

The original is actually worse, all things considered. There are some parts that were just straight up lifted from classical Greek writers because that was the only way they could persuade the literate world to read it and teach it to their sons.

Like that bit in Mark about Jesus and the disciples sailing up to the island inhabited by the demoniac named "legion?" Basically a plagiarism of the part in the Odyssey where Odysseus and his band sail up to the island inhabited by the cyclops, and he tells him that his name is "no man."

Whoa the cyclops was Eowyn?
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Seeing a plan form here. Fill out the time off request for her. Authorize said time off request. Submit my own. Have her spend the night before. Inform her in the morning that I arranged with her boss to give her the day off. Breakfast goes here. Need to work that out. Spa day. Needs mud. Dinner and dancing maybe?

I did a similar thing for my proposal, just didn't tell my wife that she had leave. Just stole her cell phone and refused to let her go to work.

I did something like that when I proposed to my ex-wife. I talked to her boss in advance to arrange for her to have the day off. I let her go into work and then surprised her by picking her up.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    Not gonna lie, I forgot how addictive chat is.

Oh no, we're gonna lose Winky again!
    The absolutely worst thing about my own condition is that I am doomed to make the same mistakes over and over again in a horrific Sisyphean cycle.

Every.

Freaking.

Time.

I am literally resistant to learning from my own mistakes.

Only for a limited time though.
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    hahaha

MreBJOy.jpg

Now that I've started learning Arabic, picking up on the sheer volume of it in the original is so much fun.

But then you come to the awkward realization that Frank Herbert didn't so much make an homage to Islam as the basis for the Fremen religion/culture as literally copy/paste it.

Like the Fremen fucking observe Ramadan.

It's a sci-fi book where the Fremen culture is directly descended from actual Muslims. As in, in the "past" of that story you will find present day Earth.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

umuad.jpg

He is ...so pretty.

Oh he is. He's just very discrete about it.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    edited May 2013

51IWk7y7JML._SX300_.jpg

Sudden craving for fried chicken.

Edit: Also not racist.
    Mortious on
    edited May 2013

It's complicated.

Well, yeah, you're right. It still stands to be seen how strong a force my conscience is.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Fat dudes' calves are usually quite large.

Just sayin'.
    network_sig2.png

It's complicated.

mostly i think he's just trying to get a new girlfriend without first breaking up with the current one

it's pretty lousy
    I don't know the situation, honestly. But if that's the case, that still means his conscience is working, he just has issues dealing with his feelings is afraid of loss.

It's complicated.

it's pretty lousy

hah, also this.
    xlh6c3.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

what part? I can only go by the word of various scholars I have read but some bits are apparently very well written.

But if you are starting at the beginning, then Genesis is a confused muddle of contradictory different sources mashed into one document. Though the story of Jacob is supposed to be well written.

John is the only book of the four gospels that was well written.

@So It Goes was talking earlier about the Julian the Apostate, the last Pagan emperor of the Roman empire who was also something of a literary critic when he basically asked the question, "If this book is the literal Word of God, then why does God write like he's a fucking eight year old goatherd?"
    SammyF on

Just sayin'.

my legs are magnificent.

I was reading Matthew. But the beginning of Genesis is also confusing as fuck.

I don't know what version this is, though. It was one of those "placed by the Gideons" ones I stole from a hotel room.

But, yeah, I imagine it differs a lot between different gospels. Seeing as some of them are like epic poems and what not.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    i need to figure out what the 3 most impressive pieces of art ive seen this semester are and why

well shit I can't even remember one

The whole first book is very much Ibn Khaldun's view on the cyclical nature of invasion by barbarians.
    falasig.png
    Mortious wrote: »

51IWk7y7JML._SX300_.jpg

Sudden craving for fried chicken.

Edit: Also not racist.

that one fried chicken will feed a multitude
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Oh he is. He's just very discrete about it.

tumblr_mg9tr2D5tk1qaecjjo1_500.jpg
    The fremen are zensunni. Which is a syncretic mix of exactly what it sounds like.
    xlh6c3.png
    Or are the gospels just the ones about Jesus? What are the rest of the chapters called?
    vspgsp.jpg

Just sayin'.

True, but my calves tend to stay huge even when I weighed 145 lbs.
    falasig.png
    SammyF wrote: »

John is the only book of the four gospels that was well written.

"So It Goes" was talking earlier about the Julian the Apostate, the last Pagan emperor of the Roman empire who was also something of a literary critique when he basically asked the question, "If this book is the literal Word of God, then why does God write like he's a fucking eight year old goatherd?"

oh yeah the New Testament. Definetly not the well written parts I was thinking of (ie: the court history of David that spans several of the divisions of "books" as the Greeks divided them, or the middle poetry of Job without the bullshit later additions, or Judges 5 with the Song of Deborah - and that even translates well). Though I admire the simplicity of Mark.

But, since he didn't specify, I thought he might be started with the Tanakh.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    hahaha

MreBJOy.jpg

Now that I've started learning Arabic, picking up on the sheer volume of it in the original is so much fun.

But then you come to the awkward realization that Frank Herbert didn't so much make an homage to Islam as the basis for the Fremen religion/culture as literally copy/paste it.

Like the Fremen fucking observe Ramadan.

It's a sci-fi book where the Fremen culture is directly descended from actual Muslims. As in, in the "past" of that story you will find present day Earth.

Which in fairness, was probably very exotic and not as transparent in 1965.
    network_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.