Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    If I were a snail, I'd buy a fast car to go places.

And I'd call it the Snail Car, or S-Car for short.

and then I'd drive really fast and all the people would say,

"Look at that S Car go!"

boo.jpg
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Another thing I'm interested in knowing is opinions on whether the Muslim belief of Jesus as a prophet was adapted from more modernish Christian beliefs and just excluding him being the son of God, or from some sect that believed he was simply a prophet.

By the time of the beginnings of Islam, one particular form of Christianity had totally won out and pretty much obliterated the others.

The first three centuries of the religion were very diverse with quite amazingly different versions competing (the differences between Mormons and Catholics today are pretty small in comparison).

but then you get the Emperor Constantine. At the start of his reign the religion as a whole had been growing at a steady pace (about the same growth rate as Mormonism in the US since its founding) and comprised maybe 5% of the Roman Empire. Mostly among the urban poor.

Constantine converted and singled out one particular form of the religion to receive the patronage, and military backing, of the state. He also happened to live for quite a long time and so his support had plenty of time to really take root in society. Not long after his death, 50% or more of the population of the Empire was Christian.

That was the real birth of the religion of Christianity as we know it. Both in terms of doctrine but more importantly in terms of demographics.

Every form of Christianity which survived is a direct descendant of the proto-orthodox of Constantine. All the others were wiped out (often in very bloody fashion).

So, you would say that Jesus in the Koran is adapted from Constantine's religion?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    anyway my initial comment about a girl turning down the movie offer ruining everything was in jest

I'm going with a mate anyway but it would be nice to gather other people.

Because we need to pretend it's not a man-date.
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Also, RiemannLives , I was trying to read Jesus as a Jewish philosopher to which the entire concept of him being the son of god was later attributed, and seeing if it fit. I don't know if this is at all likely or possible, though, and figured you'd know much better than me.

you can read all of Mark and Matthew in that light if you remove the birth narrative from Matthew. Which is exactly what a sect known as the Ebionites did in the first couple centuries.

Interesting. What is your opinion on it?

I think he was a bog standard first century Jewish apocalypticist. His message was that the world was in an age of evil but that, very soon, the present age would come to an end and a redeemer (not him) would destroy the empire of Rome and set up a new, independent, political, earthly nation of Judah in this world (ie: not about the afterlife).

This all was going to happen very soon, within the lifetimes of his followers, and they should strive to be as holy as possible (living and supporting each other in their small communities in what we would think of as a total communism) and prepare themselves for this imminent end / rebirth. As such his teachings did not much care about the long term functioning of a society but merely with dealing with the present evil age for a short time.

He was totally Jewish and was very riled up at those different forms of Judaism which disagreed with his (ie: Pharisees). The early first century was a time with many many different kinds of Judaism coexisting and competing (though the kind that survived, Rabbinic Judaism, didn't exist yet as it was a response to the same situation as Christianity - the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE).

I'm interested in whether his doctrines like turning the other cheek, his big emphasis on mercy and forgiveness, etc, were actually novel and revolutionary for the time, or whether these were even really major components of his philosophy as opposed to just the apocalyptic message.

I would suggest looking at the writings (or lectures via the Teaching Company) of Bart Ehrman. He is a real expert on early Christianity (and is a legit scholar, there is a huge amount of BS and woo on the subject) and presents the materiel well.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Goddammit, now I have to receive notifications about IP law.

Is there a way to turn that off?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Oh he is. He's just very discrete about it.

tumblr_mg9tr2D5tk1qaecjjo1_500.jpg

What is that from?

He was so good in Sex and the City.

Trey/Charlotte make me sad.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    anyway my initial comment about a girl turning down the movie offer ruining everything was in jest

Hmm. This is not a thing that exists from the female perspective. I go to movies with a single female friend all the time. Depends on the movie though! ;D If you're going to see, say, The Great Gatsby vs. Iron Man 3, there is a difference.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Also, RiemannLives , I was trying to read Jesus as a Jewish philosopher to which the entire concept of him being the son of god was later attributed, and seeing if it fit. I don't know if this is at all likely or possible, though, and figured you'd know much better than me.

you can read all of Mark and Matthew in that light if you remove the birth narrative from Matthew. Which is exactly what a sect known as the Ebionites did in the first couple centuries.

Interesting. What is your opinion on it?

I think he was a bog standard first century Jewish apocalypticist. His message was that the world was in an age of evil but that, very soon, the present age would come to an end and a redeemer (not him) would destroy the empire of Rome and set up a new, independent, political, earthly nation of Judah in this world (ie: not about the afterlife).

This all was going to happen very soon, within the lifetimes of his followers, and they should strive to be as holy as possible (living and supporting each other in their small communities in what we would think of as a total communism) and prepare themselves for this imminent end / rebirth. As such his teachings did not much care about the long term functioning of a society but merely with dealing with the present evil age for a short time.

He was totally Jewish and was very riled up at those different forms of Judaism which disagreed with his (ie: Pharisees). The early first century was a time with many many different kinds of Judaism coexisting and competing (though the kind that survived, Rabbinic Judaism, didn't exist yet as it was a response to the same situation as Christianity - the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE).

I'm interested in whether his doctrines like turning the other cheek, his big emphasis on mercy and forgiveness, etc, were actually novel and revolutionary for the time, or whether these were even really major components of his philosophy as opposed to just the apocalyptic message.

I would suggest looking at the writings (or lectures via the Teaching Company) of Bart Ehrman. He is a real expert on early Christianity (and is a legit scholar, there is a huge amount of BS and woo on the subject) and presents the materiel well.

Awesome, I'll definitely look him up.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    If I were a snail, I'd buy a fast car to go places.

And I'd call it the Snail Car, or S-Car for short.

and then I'd drive really fast and all the people would say,

"Look at that S Car go!"

yessssss
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I wish that were my joke. My friend drew a cute picture of a racing snail with that as the caption.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Alright [chat] I swore you off last night for a week AND I STILL INTEND TO

But I finally got my iTunes fixed which means I can finally update my various workout playlists and oh god I need help finding good songs to working out to
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Are you supposed to pay interns?

I thought they were just modern day slaves.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I only play small races in RPG's. It's kinda fucked up. Joking aside, there's nothing sexual about it.

I dunno. Why does an over 6 foot formerly morbidly obese man identify with small races more than large races?

Is it because I feel small inside? Is it because I believe in the underdog?

Or is it because I love the idea of stabbing people in the dick

I used to love elfs, all willowy and pale and magical

now I like dwarfs -- sturdy with a big fuckoff hammer

I dont know what this says

we need to make DM-DSM to investigate
    Another thing I'm interested in knowing is opinions on whether the Muslim belief of Jesus as a prophet was adapted from more modernish Christian beliefs and just excluding him being the son of God, or from some sect that believed he was simply a prophet.

By the time of the beginnings of Islam, one particular form of Christianity had totally won out and pretty much obliterated the others.

The first three centuries of the religion were very diverse with quite amazingly different versions competing (the differences between Mormons and Catholics today are pretty small in comparison).

but then you get the Emperor Constantine. At the start of his reign the religion as a whole had been growing at a steady pace (about the same growth rate as Mormonism in the US since its founding) and comprised maybe 5% of the Roman Empire. Mostly among the urban poor.

Constantine converted and singled out one particular form of the religion to receive the patronage, and military backing, of the state. He also happened to live for quite a long time and so his support had plenty of time to really take root in society. Not long after his death, 50% or more of the population of the Empire was Christian.

That was the real birth of the religion of Christianity as we know it. Both in terms of doctrine but more importantly in terms of demographics.

Every form of Christianity which survived is a direct descendant of the proto-orthodox of Constantine. All the others were wiped out (often in very bloody fashion).

So, you would say that Jesus in the Koran is adapted from Constantine's religion?

I think so yes. I mean there were variations in different parts of the former Roman Empire but by the 6th century the orthodox were long the victors as a living religion.

Of course the writers of the Koran were literate as hell so for all I know they could have had access to writings from other kinds of Christianity that didn't survive.

There's tons of stuff that didn't get canonized. Though, and this is important, none of the Apocrypha has been shown to date back to the first century (maybe, maybe, some of the sayings Gospel of Thomas from the Nag Hamadi library does. but that has had a Gnostic going over and the actual manuscript is from much later). The four canon gospels and the half or so letters of Paul that are authentic are a lot earlier than all the other stuff.

Gnostic Christianity (probably the biggest threat to the proto orthodox) got going in the 2nd century.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

But I finally got my iTunes fixed which means I can finally update my various workout playlists and oh god I need help finding good songs to working out to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R1X2TxW5Rk
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!

Hmm. This is not a thing that exists from the female perspective. I go to movies with a single female friend all the time. Depends on the movie though! ;D If you're going to see, say, The Great Gatsby vs. Iron Man 3, there is a difference.

I was kidding.

mostly because we have accepted the fact that we're dating.
    xlh6c3.png
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    hahaha

MreBJOy.jpg

Now that I've started learning Arabic, picking up on the sheer volume of it in the original is so much fun.

But then you come to the awkward realization that Frank Herbert didn't so much make an homage to Islam as the basis for the Fremen religion/culture as literally copy/paste it.

Like the Fremen fucking observe Ramadan.

Technically, he merged Zen Buddhism and Sunni Islam. Like. Literally. Didn't even rename it, it's "Zensunni" something. So if it makes you feel better it's not really so much "ripped off" as it is "I bet this'll fit if I use enough glue..."
    Are you supposed to pay interns?

I thought they were just modern day slaves.

This is normally the case! But some are paid. The good ones, actually. And it's a fantastic motivator to make the intern actually work and give a shit. I will work my ass off at this place if I'm taking home even minimum wage. That's a solid chunk of change for a po' scholar like myself.

But yeah the first two internships I did were unpaid, and yes I was a slave.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    http://vserver1.cscs.lsa.umich.edu/~crshalizi/jesus-cthulhu.html

The only gnostic belief that anyone really needs to learn.
    the difference between the great gatsby and iron man 3 is that one is a movie that looks intriguing (literally - how it *looks* is the only reason I need to watch it it looks so pretty) and the other holds no interest at all.
    xlh6c3.png
    the difference between the great gatsby and iron man 3 is that one is a movie that looks intriguing (literally - how it *looks* is the only reason I need to watch it it looks so pretty) and the other holds no interest at all.

Turn in your boy card. It has been revoked.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Microsoft treats its interns well. They get paid, they aren't used as cheap labor (because the labor of interns programming is worth less than nothing, you can't trust the code of someone with that little experience), they get paid relocation I think and hell of bennies.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Fat Joe - Instagram That Hoe
    Kreayshawn - Breakfast (Syrup)
    Future - Turn on the Lights
    Double Take - Hot Problems
    Trey Songz - Reasons
    Ellie Varner - Refill
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death

it goes for both of us.

We just don't care about superheroes.
    xlh6c3.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ex that got hot is a bad kind of ex.

I prefer ex that got pregnant. That's a good kind of ex.

Pregnant and still as crazy.

This is ex that got hot and has awesome jobs where she travels around and meets awesome and interesting people.

I am completely happy for her, but, yeah, stupid emotions.

Anyway, off for work.

I want to be this kind of ex.

Not the kind of ex I am currently.
    Microsoft treats its interns well. They get paid, they aren't used as cheap labor (because the labor of interns programming is worth less than nothing, you can't trust the code of someone with that little experience), they get paid relocation I think and hell of bennies.

Oh yeah, interns with valuable skills that they've actually learned in college get paid. I don't have those. I just try to convince people I do.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

it goes for both of us.

Wait, you meant Iron Man 3 is the one you're uninterested in?
    Ludious wrote: »
    I only play small races in RPG's. It's kinda fucked up. Joking aside, there's nothing sexual about it.

I dunno. Why does an over 6 foot formerly morbidly obese man identify with small races more than large races?

Is it because I feel small inside? Is it because I believe in the underdog?

Or is it because I love the idea of stabbing people in the dick

I used to love elfs, all willowy and pale and magical

now I like dwarfs -- sturdy with a big fuckoff hammer

I dont know what this says

we need to make DM-DSM to investigate

I am still done with fantasy races.

They are objectively awful.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i've pretty much accepted that's it's not possible for me to care about marvel superheroes

i simply do not have the capacity to care about more than one superhero universe, and DC got me first
    Per3th.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Iron Man 3 was done by the guy who did Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, so

I'll watch it
    I wish being an Ex-Man meant what it does in the comics.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

it goes for both of us.

But both those movies are about superheroes.

it goes for both of us.

Wait, you meant Iron Man 3 is the one you're uninterested in?

yes.
    xlh6c3.png
    I love superhero movies. I don't care how many times I see the same rehash of some downtrodden young hero discovering the ability to fight for the innocent masses, I fuckin eat it up every time. Love it.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Cinders wrote: »

it goes for both of us.

But both those movies are about superheroes.

Don't be silly.
    xlh6c3.png
    Elendil wrote: »
    i've pretty much accepted that's it's not possible for me to care about marvel superheroes

i simply do not have the capacity to care about more than one superhero universe, and DC got me first

Marvel got me first, but I'm more ...invested in DC. Like, I find DC cartoons and comics to be better done than Marvel.

The movies are top notch though, so score one for Marvel.
    I love superhero movies. I don't care how many times I see the same rehash of some downtrodden young hero discovering the ability to fight for the innocent masses, I fuckin eat it up every time. Love it.

Which is part of the appeal of Iron Man, especially the movie trilogy's Warren-Ellis-ified version. He's not downtrodden. He's baller and he knows it.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    the best workout playlist is The Wonder Years on repeat

Weird Dream report:

In this dream I live in a small one room apartment and I agree to take in 2 Great Danes, 1 small black chihuahua, and 1 wire hair poodle type dog. And 2 boa constrictors.

The whole dream is me wondering why I agreed to this, and then killing one snake while getting bit by the other before it disappears under the couch and I freak out wondering where it is.

This discussion has been closed.