Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    And yet, aren't there still Jews jewing it up in the Dune universe?
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Man, one of my exes got (stayed?) really hot.

Thanks facebook.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I've been reading the bible.

Let's be honest, this writing is pretty shitty.

Could be the translation.

what part? I can only go by the word of various scholars I have read but some bits are apparently very well written.

But if you are starting at the beginning, then Genesis is a confused muddle of contradictory different sources mashed into one document. Though the story of Jacob is supposed to be well written.

I was reading Matthew. But the beginning of Genesis is also confusing as fuck.

I don't know what version this is, though. It was one of those "placed by the Gideons" ones I stole from a hotel room.

But, yeah, I imagine it differs a lot between different gospels. Seeing as some of them are like epic poems and what not.

http://www.biblegateway.com/
    they added the NRSV a while back which should be the go-to English translation.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    gooey just hang out with me

you'll hit that target weight in no time

i am coming to nyc in june

lets eat a million wings or something

Do you know what week yet?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I asked a girl to come to the movie with me and she turned me done.

Welp, there's the last reason to keep living down the toilet. See ya.

Don't look at it that way. Look at it like Hova does. You got 99 problems but a bitch still aint one.

ah but you see that's not true in my case.

It's complicated.

Actually it's not complicated I'm just not a good person.

I often find that people who think they aren't good people, are good people who recognize their flaws and have trouble reconciling them with their inherent goodness; whereas, truly horrible people not only think they are wonderful, but fail to discern any of their actions as awful.

You're not a bad person, you're just cursed with a conscience, and a desire to be better than you are. But isn't that what separates us from the apes?

mostly i think he's just trying to get a new girlfriend without first breaking up with the current one

it's pretty lousy
    I don't know the situation, honestly. But if that's the case, that still means his conscience is working, he just has issues dealing with his feelings is afraid of loss.

starting to become convinced the thing with the girl is still going on mainly because it's easier to keep doing it than not.

which is a common theme in my reasons for doing things!
    xlh6c3.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I do vaguely recall the Jewry still being A Thing in the Duniverse.

Which I suppose is apropos given Frank Herbert's use of Hebrew throughout the book (ie. Kwisatz Haderach).
    network_sig2.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Oh he is. He's just very discrete about it.

tumblr_mg9tr2D5tk1qaecjjo1_500.jpg

What is that from?
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    hahaha

MreBJOy.jpg

Now that I've started learning Arabic, picking up on the sheer volume of it in the original is so much fun.

But then you come to the awkward realization that Frank Herbert didn't so much make an homage to Islam as the basis for the Fremen religion/culture as literally copy/paste it.

Like the Fremen fucking observe Ramadan.

It's a sci-fi book where the Fremen culture is directly descended from actual Muslims. As in, in the "past" of that story you will find present day Earth.

Which in fairness, was probably very exotic and not as transparent in 1965.

I don't think it's supposed to not be transparent and be all exotic. He coulda just invented some crystal dragon jesus sci fi religion if he wanted to.
    xlh6c3.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Also, @RiemannLives , I was trying to read Jesus as a Jewish philosopher to which the entire concept of him being the son of god was later attributed, and seeing if it fit. I don't know if this is at all likely or possible, though, and figured you'd know much better than me.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

what part? I can only go by the word of various scholars I have read but some bits are apparently very well written.

But if you are starting at the beginning, then Genesis is a confused muddle of contradictory different sources mashed into one document. Though the story of Jacob is supposed to be well written.

John is the only book of the four gospels that was well written.

"So It Goes" was talking earlier about the Julian the Apostate, the last Pagan emperor of the Roman empire who was also something of a literary critique when he basically asked the question, "If this book is the literal Word of God, then why does God write like he's a fucking eight year old goatherd?"

oh yeah the New Testament. Definetly not the well written parts I was thinking of (ie: the court history of David that spans several of the divisions of "books" as the Greeks divided them, or the middle poetry of Job without the bullshit later additions, or Judges 5 with the Song of Deborah - and that even translates well). Though I admire the simplicity of Mark.

But, since he didn't specify, I thought he might be started with the Tanakh.

Ah yeah since he said simply "the bible" I assumed he meant the New Testament. I don't know Hebrew, so I can't qualify the original writing of the Old Testament, the Septuagint itself being a translation.
    edited May 2013
    Or are the gospels just the ones about Jesus? What are the rest of the chapters called?

"gospel" means "good news" and, as the word is used today, means a story about Jesus (edit: in contrast to a story about the resurrected Christ, which is what most of the religion is about). In the canonized four in the NT, they all consist of a short description of parts of his life (to provide context) then get on to their main focus which is his death.

(note: all of the titles are later additions, we have no idea who wrote any of the Gospels though it wasn't who they are named for)

Most of the rest of the "books" in the NT are letters from early Christians that got preserved or, in some cases, forged in the name of early Christians (ie: about half of Paul's letters are forgeries). Hebrews is mistakenly ascribed to Paul but that was a later error not a deliberate forgery (it is a 2nd century copy of a sermon).

There is also the book of Acts which was written by whoever wrote Luke as a companion volume describing what happens after Jesus' death.

And finally there is an "Apocalypse" (ie: Revelations) which was a popular literary genre of the time.

the Tanakh (or "Old Testament" / "Hebrew Bible") is actually a much more complicated story.
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Kimbra dubstep remix? yes please
    G2Dcf.jpg
    I should just man up and tell her that we aren't whatever you want to call whatever we are anymore.
    xlh6c3.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I've got moOOOoooOOOOOooves like jagger
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular

What is that from?

Portlandia.

He's singing Portland's Municipal Anthem.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!

"So It Goes" was talking earlier about the Julian the Apostate, the last Pagan emperor of the Roman empire who was also something of a literary critic when he basically asked the question, "If this book is the literal Word of God, then why does God write like he's a fucking eight year old goatherd?"

although Julian himself was not one to point fingers. The guy was widely ridiculed in his own time for his attempts at philosophy and wrote an entire book defending his ridiculous beard.
    Also, @RiemannLives , I was trying to read Jesus as a Jewish philosopher to which the entire concept of him being the son of god was later attributed, and seeing if it fit. I don't know if this is at all likely or possible, though, and figured you'd know much better than me.

you can read all of Mark and Matthew in that light if you remove the birth narrative from Matthew. Which is exactly what a sect known as the Ebionites did in the first couple centuries.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

"So It Goes" was talking earlier about the Julian the Apostate, the last Pagan emperor of the Roman empire who was also something of a literary critic when he basically asked the question, "If this book is the literal Word of God, then why does God write like he's a fucking eight year old goatherd?"

although Julian himself was not one to point fingers. The guy was widely ridiculed in his own time for his attempts at philosophy and wrote an entire book defending his ridiculous beard.

The grammar was at least usually right, however. :)
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I should just man up and tell her that we aren't whatever you want to call whatever we are anymore.

this is almost certainly the right thing to do
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Also need to throw this out there. He is the alpha WASP.

http://youtu.be/ZzyOs2bh3PU
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

What about the doctor that traveled across the desert, and then convinced the Freman to hoard their wealth.

you can read all of Mark and Matthew in that light if you remove the birth narrative from Matthew. Which is exactly what a sect known as the Ebionites did in the first couple centuries.

Interesting. What is your opinion on it?
    vspgsp.jpg
    Ex that got hot is a bad kind of ex.

I prefer ex that got pregnant. That's a good kind of ex.

Pregnant and still as crazy.
    xlh6c3.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

What is that from?

Portlandia.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I need to get them Twin Peaks...

I just need to.
    y2jake215 wrote: »

this is almost certainly the right thing to do

Yep.
    xlh6c3.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

This is ex that got hot and has awesome jobs where she travels around and meets awesome and interesting people.

I am completely happy for her, but, yeah, stupid emotions.

Anyway, off for work.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    I want to make aioli now.

I'm going to go to bed and not waste good eggs for no reason but anyway

I only have rapeseed oil at the moment. Should I get some olive oil for it yay or nay.
    xlh6c3.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »

This is ex that got hot and has awesome jobs where she travels around and meets awesome and interesting people.

I am completely happy for her, but, yeah, stupid emotions.

Anyway, off for work.

Again I think I prefer ex that stayed crazy, got knocked up. And it's aaaaall schadenfreude on my part.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

I only have rapeseed oil at the moment. Should I get some olive oil for it yay or nay.

depending on how much garlic you put in you won't be able to tell much difference.

I think he was a bog standard first century Jewish apocalypticist. His message was that the world was in an age of evil but that, very soon, the present age would come to an end and a redeemer (not him) would destroy the empire of Rome and set up a new, independent, political, earthly nation of Judah in this world (ie: not about the afterlife).

This all was going to happen very soon, within the lifetimes of his followers, and they should strive to be as holy as possible (living and supporting each other in their small communities in what we would think of as a total communism) and prepare themselves for this imminent end / rebirth. As such his teachings did not much care about the long term functioning of a society but merely with dealing with the present evil age for a short time.

He was totally Jewish and was very riled up at those different forms of Judaism which disagreed with his (ie: Pharisees). The early first century was a time with many many different kinds of Judaism coexisting and competing (though the kind that survived, Rabbinic Judaism, didn't exist yet as it was a response to the same situation as Christianity - the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE).
    Another thing I'm interested in knowing is opinions on whether the Muslim belief of Jesus as a prophet was adapted from more modernish Christian beliefs and just excluding him being the son of God, or from some sect that believed he was simply a prophet.
    vspgsp.jpg

I think he was a bog standard first century Jewish apocalypticist. His message was that the world was in an age of evil but that, very soon, the present age would come to an end and a redeemer (not him) would destroy the empire of Rome and set up a new, independent, political, earthly nation of Judah in this world (ie: not about the afterlife).

This all was going to happen very soon, within the lifetimes of his followers, and they should strive to be as holy as possible (living and supporting each other in their small communities in what we would think of as a total communism) and prepare themselves for this imminent end / rebirth. As such his teachings did not much care about the long term functioning of a society but merely with dealing with the present evil age for a short time.

He was totally Jewish and was very riled up at those different forms of Judaism which disagreed with his (ie: Pharisees). The early first century was a time with many many different kinds of Judaism coexisting and competing (though the kind that survived, Rabbinic Judaism, didn't exist yet as it was a response to the same situation as Christianity - the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE).

I'm interested in whether his doctrines like turning the other cheek, his big emphasis on mercy and forgiveness, etc, were actually novel and revolutionary for the time, or whether these were even really major components of his philosophy as opposed to just the apocalyptic message.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

He was just roughly 1900 years too early.

Feral on
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    Irond Will wrote: »

depending on how much garlic you put in you won't be able to tell much difference.

the recipe I'm going to loosely follow suggests one clove to three yolks and one desiliter of oil
    xlh6c3.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    man i'm bored

i just used up most of my Stuff I Do lately
    Per3th.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

If the Jews weren't so awful to occupy it might not of taken that long.

But Jews loved rebelling every few years.
    falasig.png
    Another thing I'm interested in knowing is opinions on whether the Muslim belief of Jesus as a prophet was adapted from more modernish Christian beliefs and just excluding him being the son of God, or from some sect that believed he was simply a prophet.

By the time of the beginnings of Islam, one particular form of Christianity had totally won out and pretty much obliterated the others.

The first three centuries of the religion were very diverse with quite amazingly different versions competing (the differences between Mormons and Catholics today are pretty small in comparison).

but then you get the Emperor Constantine. At the start of his reign the religion as a whole had been growing at a steady pace (about the same growth rate as Mormonism in the US since its founding) and comprised maybe 5% of the Roman Empire. Mostly among the urban poor.

Constantine converted and singled out one particular form of the religion to receive the patronage, and military backing, of the state. He also happened to live for quite a long time and so his support had plenty of time to really take root in society. Not long after his death, 50% or more of the population of the Empire was Christian.

That was the real birth of the religion of Christianity as we know it. Both in terms of doctrine but more importantly in terms of demographics.

Every form of Christianity which survived is a direct descendant of the proto-orthodox of Constantine. All the others were wiped out (often in very bloody fashion).
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

If the Jews weren't so awful to occupy it might not of taken that long.

But Jews loved rebelling every few years.

Tree of Liberty

Blood of tyrants

etc
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
This discussion has been closed.