Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    See, the belief that I'd love to have is that Jesus was actually this great guy and a revolutionary philosopher who was preaching mercy and forgiveness at a time when this was unheard of, and that his message was subsequently attached to a bunch of unrelated beliefs and shat on for centuries afterwards, but I don't really have any of the background knowledge to say that this anywhere approaches the truth.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    See, the belief that I'd love to have is that Jesus was actually this great guy and a revolutionary philosopher who was preaching mercy and forgiveness at a time when this was unheard of, and that his message was subsequently attached to a bunch of unrelated beliefs and shat on for centuries afterwards, but I don't really have any of the background knowledge to say that this anywhere approaches the truth.

as far as I know there's a very high likelihood - as in, little to say otherwise - that he wasn't an actual historical person.
    xlh6c3.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the concept of empathy was known prior to jesus, yes
    Per3th.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    I only play small races in RPG's. It's kinda fucked up. Joking aside, there's nothing sexual about it.

I dunno. Why does an over 6 foot formerly morbidly obese man identify with small races more than large races?

Is it because I feel small inside? Is it because I believe in the underdog?

Or is it because I love the idea of stabbing people in the dick

I used to love elfs, all willowy and pale and magical

now I like dwarfs -- sturdy with a big fuckoff hammer

I dont know what this says

we need to make DM-DSM to investigate

humans 4 lyfe

go tall round-eared round-eyed or go home
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I love superhero movies. I don't care how many times I see the same rehash of some downtrodden young hero discovering the ability to fight for the innocent masses, I fuckin eat it up every time. Love it.

Which is part of the appeal of Iron Man, especially the movie trilogy's Warren-Ellis-ified version. He's not downtrodden. He's baller and he knows it.

It's nice when super heroes go all "I have super powers and it's awesome", because super powers are awesome, stop being so negative all the time!
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I only play small races in RPG's. It's kinda fucked up. Joking aside, there's nothing sexual about it.

I dunno. Why does an over 6 foot formerly morbidly obese man identify with small races more than large races?

Is it because I feel small inside? Is it because I believe in the underdog?

Or is it because I love the idea of stabbing people in the dick

I used to love elfs, all willowy and pale and magical

now I like dwarfs -- sturdy with a big fuckoff hammer

I dont know what this says

we need to make DM-DSM to investigate

humans 4 lyfe

go tall round-eared round-eyed or go home

so racist
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I don't think that is at all accurate for the Historical Jesus no.

I mean compared to a lot of his contemporaries he was definitely on the pacifist side of things (because the end of the age was nigh). But I don't think he was at all revolutionary or unique in that.

I think his message very much was hijacked from being the teachings (soon made very obsolete by the fact of the world not ending) of a thoroughly Jewish teacher to being a religion about his death and resurrection.

Look through the NT and compare how much is about what Jesus said or did vs. how much is about his death, resurrection and what it means. Paul is almost wholly uninterested in Jesus before his death. And I think it is Paul and those like him who he represents (being the surviving writer) that created Christianity the religion.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Maybe not in the region, but I don't know.

You can probably find a Greek who thought anything.
    fun fact: under norse law, the "fine", weregeld, for murder was to be paid not only by the murderer but by nearly the entire clan, with specified amounts based on how closely related they were.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    "He can't save you."
    -Lil Wayne

True words.
    edited May 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »

as far as I know there's a very high likelihood - as in, little to say otherwise - that he wasn't an actual historical person.

I think it is very likely he existed (a lot more than not) and did / said some of the things in canonical gospels. Some.

Mark in particular was written only about 35-40 years after his death. Though in a language he probably couldn't speak and motivated by an event that totally changed the world he had lived in (the Judean War).

edit: Mark has it's own preoccupation (trying to reconcile the combination of Jesus with the separate ideas about a Messiah - which he probably did not claim as his own during his life), but I think it also is by far the closest to presenting a glimpse of the real man.
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    "He can't save you."
    -Lil Wayne

True words.

"I can not save you.
    I can't even save myself."
    - Trent Reznor
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular

There almost certainly was a Galilean preacher called Jesus who was crucified under Pontius Pilate. Galileans, preachers, Jews called Jesus, and people crucified in the Roman Empire (especially under Pontius Pilate) are all such large sets than an intersection is pretty much a given. All those stories about him have to have started somewhere; all signs point to it starting around Galilee in the middle of the first century, and the idea of a historical person at that place and time is infinitely more likely than the idea that a bunch of Jewish editors cobbled together a bunch of pagan myths into a fake pseudo-Jewish messiah story as part of a four-hundred-year-long plan to become the dominant religion of the Roman Empire.

How much Jesus the historical Galilean preacher has in common with Jesus of the Gospels, well, that's a completely different debate.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    Jesus, even the Official Made Up Version, is pretty cool imo. He doesn't say 99% of the shit that his current followers do that makes me dislike them.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Another thing I'm interested in knowing is opinions on whether the Muslim belief of Jesus as a prophet was adapted from more modernish Christian beliefs and just excluding him being the son of God, or from some sect that believed he was simply a prophet.

By the time of the beginnings of Islam, one particular form of Christianity had totally won out and pretty much obliterated the others.

I'm not familiar with early Christianity, but my understanding is that Muhammad would've been in relatively close contact with (Maronite?) beliefs, which to my knowledge were far from the the centers of Christendom at that point (so Rome and Constantinople? this is ~the 600s). It was either the Maronites or the Gnostics that Muhammad would've been in contact with.
    network_sig2.png
    Richy wrote: »

There almost certainly was a Galilean preacher called Jesus who was crucified under Pontius Pilate. Galileans, preachers, Jews called Jesus, and people crucified in the Roman Empire (especially under Pontius Pilate) are all such large sets than an intersection is pretty much a given. All those stories about him have to have started somewhere; all signs point to it starting around Galilee in the middle of the first century, and the idea of a historical person at that place and time is infinitely more likely than the idea that a bunch of Jewish editors cobbled together a bunch of pagan myths into a fake pseudo-Jewish messiah story as part of a four-hundred-year-long plan to become the dominant religion of the Roman Empire.

How much Jesus the historical Galilean preacher has in common with Jesus of the Gospels, well, that's a completely different debate.

as an aside, yeah, they do, but they don't need to have started with something real at all.

also the latter thing is exactly what happened regardless of whether or not there was a person to start with.
    xlh6c3.png
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular

I think it is very likely he existed (a lot more than not) and did / said some of the things in canonical gospels. Some.

Mark in particular was written only about 35-40 years after his death. Though in a language he probably couldn't speak and motivated by an event that totally changed the world he had lived in (the Judean War).

edit: Mark has it's own preoccupation (trying to reconcile the combination of Jesus with the separate ideas about a Messiah - which he probably did not claim as his own during his life), but I think it also is by far the closest to presenting a glimpse of the real man.

Generally we know more than enough to tell if an important man ever lived or not from that time. Did Rome track down and burn a lot of information during that time?
    well apart from the "plan" thing.
    xlh6c3.png
    My position in the Marvel vs. DC debate:

DC creates heroic archetypes and bases their world largely in a black-and-white morality in which the moral dilemmas are seldom "what is good and evil" but rather "how much good should you do and how should you do it". Their heroes and villains tend towards larger-than-life figures on the scale of mythological Gods (ironic because Marvel is the one who literally has a God on their super team) who embody particular ideals or principles.

Marvel seems to strive much more for ambiguity and making their heroes more flawed characters. Good and evil is less often explicitly spelled out and they really focus on internal conflict and inherently differing philosophies between different heroes. Marvel heroes are infinitely more likely to be a douchebag at one point or another.

I find Marvel's general approach more compelling, personally, because it makes their heroes more vulnerable and relate-able, but they overdo it and generate contrived situations and character motivations incredibly often. That said, there are great stories to be told in either universe and I enjoy them both.
    vspgsp.jpg
    my position is that there almost never gets made superhero movies that are interesting.
    xlh6c3.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

DC creates heroic archetypes and bases their world largely in a black-and-white morality in which the moral dilemmas are seldom "what is good and evil" but rather "how much good should you do and how should you do it". Their heroes and villains tend towards larger-than-life figures on the scale of mythological Gods (ironic because Marvel is the one who literally has a God on their super team) who embody particular ideals or principles.

Marvel seems to strive much more for ambiguity and making their heroes more flawed characters. Good and evil is less often explicitly spelled out and they really focus on internal conflict and inherently differing philosophies between different heroes. Marvel heroes are infinitely more likely to be a douchebag at one point or another.

I find Marvel's general approach more compelling, personally, because it makes their heroes more vulnerable and relate-able, but they overdo it and generate contrived situations and character motivations incredibly often. That said, there are great stories to be told in either universe and I enjoy them both.

Heh, nerd.

Hey everyone, look, it's a nerd!
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Heh, nerd.

Hey everyone, look, it's a nerd!

He who smelt it dealt it.
    network_sig2.png
    edited May 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Another thing I'm interested in knowing is opinions on whether the Muslim belief of Jesus as a prophet was adapted from more modernish Christian beliefs and just excluding him being the son of God, or from some sect that believed he was simply a prophet.

By the time of the beginnings of Islam, one particular form of Christianity had totally won out and pretty much obliterated the others.

I'm not familiar with early Christianity, but my understanding is that Muhammad would've been in relatively close contact with (Maronite?) beliefs, which to my knowledge were far from the the centers of Christendom at that point (so Rome and Constantinople? this is ~the 600s). It was either the Maronites or the Gnostics that Muhammad would've been in contact with.

Marcionites? They were a very popular sect and probably the first Christians to create a Canon of scripture (the proto-orthodox did shortly after, possibly in response). They were nearly-Gnostic in their views (believing there to have been two totally separate Gods: YHWH the Creator and Jesus the Savior)

They were big time for a while. But I don't think they lasted past the 5th century as a living religion. Though certainly their writings survived (if nowhere else, the orthodox writers liked to quote them so they could argue) and ideas like their lingered.

Gnostic Christianity was also big, especially in Egypt, but even there it got stamped down pretty hard.
    RiemannLives on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Argh

Updated UPS says Wednesday delivery for Maschine

THANKS HILLARY

abolish the postage system @desc

why am I this excited for you to get it

make me a jaaaaam yo
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    my position is that there almost never gets made superhero movies that are interesting.

I don't think I've ever really enjoyed a superhero movie other than Dark Knight the first two times
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

He was definitely a real person. The first century historian Flavius Josephus wrote a couple of passages about "Jesus, who was called Christ" though he himself was Jewish. Most scholars agree that these are not the result of mere interpolation by Christian scribes after the fact, as one passage refers to a brother of Jesus whom Christianity doesn't acknowledge, and the other is a historical account of the crucifixion that doesn't resemble the gospels very closely.

For what it's worth, I think Ironman 3 is a great movie, and way better than 1 and 2.

This does not seem to be the popular opinion, though.

Ironman 3 was made in such a way to be geared toward me, though. Any time a film subverts my expectations I become incredibly more likely to fall in love with it. (See: Inglorious Basterds)
    vspgsp.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    "He can't save you."
    -Lil Wayne

True words.

"I can not save you.
    I can't even save myself."
    - Trent Reznor

callback troll!
    edited May 2013
    Elendil wrote: »

To be perfectly honest, knowing the human past it's kind of easy to believe otherwise.

How common was the notion of "love thy enemy" prior to Jesus?
    Winky on
    vspgsp.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Speaking of superhero comics

this is a pretty rad use of photoshop filters

http://imgur.com/gallery/i4GyF
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    edited May 2013
    Honk wrote: »

Generally we know more than enough to tell if an important man ever lived or not from that time. Did Rome track down and burn a lot of information during that time?

Jesus was totally, completely unimportant during his lifetime. It would be strange as hell if any sources outside his followers recorded anything about him.

Besides the writings in the canon and maybe a couple writings by church fathers (edit: and Josephus but people have tried to forge a lot in his name), there is not a single reference to Jesus or Christianity surviving and no evidence of any having been deliberately covered up (by the Romans anyway)

From the early 2nd century you have one letter by Pliny the Younger and a reference by Tacitus. A couple other passages were inserted into their writing later by Christians who also thought it odd that no one in the 1st century was talking about their ancestors.
    RiemannLives on
    Dude, everyone knows about Jesus' brother.

His brother was Isukiri, who took his place on the cross for him, while Jesus fled across Siberia to Japan to Shingo in Aomori where he became a rice farmer and had three daughters.

Also those twelve missing years of Jesus's timeline were spent in Japan pursuing divine knowledge.

(This is seriously a thing a town in Japan claims, but, these days, people pretty much only stick with it for the sake of tourism).
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

For what it's worth, I think Ironman 3 is a great movie, and way better than 1 and 2.

This does not seem to be the popular opinion, though.

Ironman 3 was made in such a way to be geared toward me, though. Any time a film subverts my expectations I become incredibly more likely to fall in love with it. (See: Inglorious Basterds)

Ironman 3 was pretty crap in my opinion, but I can 100% see why its theme about scientists would have struck a cord with you in particular.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

His brother was Isukiri, who took his place on the cross for him, while Jesus fled across Siberia to Japan to Shingo in Aomori where he became a rice farmer and had three daughters.

Also those twelve missing years of Jesus's timeline were spent in Japan pursuing divine knowledge.

(This is seriously a thing a town in Japan claims, but, these days, people pretty much only stick with it for the sake of tourism).

Was it after Jesus was in Japan that he crossed to the New World?

Dude got around.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

Josephus, incidentally, says the guy's name was James.

Awfully close to Isukiri?!
    men on OKCupid

what are you doing

stahp

MXaDMdN.png

Was it after Jesus was in Japan that he crossed to the New World?

Dude got around.

Everyone wanted to host the host of hosts.

Dude could turn water into wine.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

even the canon gospels in the NT says Jesus had brothers and sisters.

It took some major mental acrobatics for the orothodox to turn Mary into a perpetual virgin many hundreds of years later.
    iZyMR91.png
    G2Dcf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.