Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    and let's be honest, liches are pretty much the coolest undead

so jesus is just alright with me

I prefer revenants.

The quiet, no mercy, single mindedness of them u know.

And those blue eyes lemme tell you.

I am a scholar of the undead.

And by that I mean classical undead literature involving lesbians.

It wasn't that hard to become a scholar of that because I think there's only one example.
    man i'm pretty sure there's more where that came from

god i could have sworn i knew of some

i'm going to have to look this up now

there's probably a decadent something or other in my collection

Elendil the thought of you lacking decadence kind of makes me upset

One requires some certainties in life and you and overworked baroque decadence are one
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i mean jesus

lesbian vampire stories practically write themselves
    Per3th.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    btw, @winky

despite everything I said, it's not all that hard to form your own opinion about Jesus. The four canonical gospels are really the entirety of the writings about his lifetime and teachings (plus, maybe, some of the gospel of Thomas).

Now there is a heck of a lot of detail on top of that (use of language, what was going on in the world at the time, Jewish history etc...) to make sense of those books.

But just reading through the sources can be done in an evening. Just pull up the NRSV on biblegateway.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    And all mah people say!
    NA NA *NA* NA, NA-n-NA-NAH!
    Woh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    oh desc

I bought dungeon village because you were talking about it

and there is no god damn game there

(despite that I played it like 10 hours you were right its crack)
    also, in case anyone didn't see this when I posted it earlier it is really good (once you skip past the very awkward introduction and get to the actual speaker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kMkYVm_GeY

if you want to know what's up in Physics in the last few decades from a totally non-hippy-bullshit scientist.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    iTunes Match is taking forever to uprroad my songs. It just kinda stopped at song #2626 and didn't do anything for a long time, so I hit Stop and then Start, and I think I may have started the entire multi-hour process over again.

Man fuck iTunes for Windows.
    network_sig2.png
    oh desc

yes

it is like a chemical

astro village is my favorite and the grand prix and soccer are good

they all operate on the same principles of addiction
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Another thing I'm interested in knowing is opinions on whether the Muslim belief of Jesus as a prophet was adapted from more modernish Christian beliefs and just excluding him being the son of God, or from some sect that believed he was simply a prophet.

By the time of the beginnings of Islam, one particular form of Christianity had totally won out and pretty much obliterated the others.

I'm not familiar with early Christianity, but my understanding is that Muhammad would've been in relatively close contact with (Maronite?) beliefs, which to my knowledge were far from the the centers of Christendom at that point (so Rome and Constantinople? this is ~the 600s). It was either the Maronites or the Gnostics that Muhammad would've been in contact with.

Marcionites? They were a very popular sect and probably the first Christians to create a Canon of scripture (the proto-orthodox did shortly after, possibly in response). They were nearly-Gnostic in their views (believing there to have been two totally separate Gods: YHWH the Creator and Jesus the Savior)

They were big time for a while. But I don't think they lasted past the 5th century as a living religion. Though certainly their writings survived (if nowhere else, the orthodox writers liked to quote them so they could argue) and ideas like their lingered.

Gnostic Christianity was also big, especially in Egypt, but even there it got stamped down pretty hard.

I think I read it in Reza Aslan's book on Islam. I'll have to go back and check.
    network_sig2.png

I prefer revenants.

It wasn't that hard to become a scholar of that because I think there's only one example.

If you know of any I'd really love to read them, actually. Seriously.

I basically want to read classic queer literature.
    have you read virginia woolf's orlando

it's not lesbian vampires but it's the first one that springs to mind
    Per3th.jpg
    desc wrote: »
    oh desc

yes

it is like a chemical

no I dont want to play another non game!
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    also, in case anyone didn't see this when I posted it earlier it is really good (once you skip past the very awkward introduction and get to the actual speaker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kMkYVm_GeY

if you want to know what's up in Physics in the last few decades from a totally non-hippy-bullshit scientist.

his hair is amazing
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    i mean jesus

Well yeah, but the classical flavor is important. Queer literature, historically. Very interesting.
    oh desc

yes

it is like a chemical

no I dont want to play another non game!

It's like space invaders.

there is a game there in trying to optimize your village for score within the time limit.

I prefer revenants.

Elendil the thought of you lacking decadence kind of makes me upset

One requires some certainties in life and you and overworked baroque decadence are one
    i have some decadent books! it was a phase

check out the best back-cover summary you'll ever read
    J.-K. Huysmans's gaudy, shocking, and largely autobiographical novel, The Damned (Là-Bas) was quickly condemned and just as quickly achieved cult status. It follows Durtal, a shy, censorious man, who is writing a biography of Gilles de Rais, the fifteenth-century nobleman, child-murderer, and supposed model for "Bluebeard." Bored and disgusted by the vulgarity of everyday life, Durtal seeks spiritual solace by immersing himself in another age. But when he meets the exquisitely evil Madame Chantelouve, he is drawn inextricably into the twilight world of black magic and erotic devilry in fin-de-siècle Paris.
    Per3th.jpg

I prefer revenants.

If you know of any I'd really love to read them, actually. Seriously.

I basically want to read classic queer literature.
    have you read virginia woolf's orlando

it's not lesbian vampires but it's the first one that springs to mind

Nope, I will write that down.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    I've been reading the bible.

Let's be honest, this writing is pretty shitty.

Could be the translation.

what part? I can only go by the word of various scholars I have read but some bits are apparently very well written.

But if you are starting at the beginning, then Genesis is a confused muddle of contradictory different sources mashed into one document. Though the story of Jacob is supposed to be well written.

John is the only book of the four gospels that was well written.

"So It Goes" was talking earlier about the Julian the Apostate, the last Pagan emperor of the Roman empire who was also something of a literary critic when he basically asked the question, "If this book is the literal Word of God, then why does God write like he's a fucking eight year old goatherd?"

Julian da best
    NO.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    [herpderp] Just bought all these canned goods. Realized I don't have a can opener when I got home [/herpderp]
    am I misrembering, or didn't the first edition of the Vampire RPG go on at length about how vampires had no sex drive and were totally not into boning.

had to have been the least followed bit of an RPG rulebook in history. more people track the encumbrance for their torchbearers in AD&D.
    TTODewback wrote: »
    [herpderp] Just bought all these canned goods. Realized I don't have a can opener when I got home [/herpderp]

do you have a hatchet or possibly hacksaw
    hello friends

i am trying to post less so i did some reading most of today, and now i am writing le codes

but i am taking a break to fart and say hello

did the internet survive my 12 hour absence
    black magic and erotic devilry
    So It Goes wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    I've been reading the bible.

Let's be honest, this writing is pretty shitty.

Could be the translation.

what part? I can only go by the word of various scholars I have read but some bits are apparently very well written.

But if you are starting at the beginning, then Genesis is a confused muddle of contradictory different sources mashed into one document. Though the story of Jacob is supposed to be well written.

John is the only book of the four gospels that was well written.

"So It Goes" was talking earlier about the Julian the Apostate, the last Pagan emperor of the Roman empire who was also something of a literary critic when he basically asked the question, "If this book is the literal Word of God, then why does God write like he's a fucking eight year old goatherd?"

Julian da best

dat beard

also it's pretty great that after his death it was the Christians arguing that he was killed by friendly fire (presumably by a Christian) while the Pagans were all just "no, some Persian just got reaaaaally lucky and threw that damn javelin like a mile"
    Organichu wrote: »
    hello friends

i am trying to post less so i did some reading most of today, and now i am writing le codes

Mim's dead and Richy's on fire.

So barely.

Also, good for you, I've been meaning to do that and... well, failing.
    edited May 2013
    You know who's underappreciated but apparently had a fairly major impact both during the 90s and early noughts?

DJ Shadow.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered that his later stuff wasn't nearly as good as Endtroducing, imo.
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
    hello friends

hello I missed you

tomorrow is maybe lol day
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i mean jesus

There once was a vampire called Mabel,
    who's...

You know what, I'm not going to finish that limerick.
  • JeanJean Northern Alberta , CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wait, what?

well-played-skyrim_c_1449391.jpg
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    hello friends

I got turned into a sexy cyborg.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    Wait, what?

well-played-skyrim_c_1449391.jpg
    you can name the items you craft
    hello friends

hello I missed you

tomorrow is maybe lol day

/me uninstalls
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    my position is that there almost never gets made superhero movies that are interesting.

For what it's worth, I think Ironman 3 is a great movie, and way better than 1 and 2.

This does not seem to be the popular opinion, though.

Ironman 3 was made in such a way to be geared toward me, though. Any time a film subverts my expectations I become incredibly more likely to fall in love with it. (See: Inglorious Basterds)

Ironman 3 was pretty crap in my opinion, but I can 100% see why its theme about scientists would have struck a cord with you in particular.

What I loved about it was that, at any particular moment, it tried to do exactly what you were not expecting it to do. I think that for a lot of people this results in an experience that feels disjointed and scattershot, but I thought the whole thing fit together really well. The thematic message was really strong and worked into most of the aspects of the movie pretty solidly.

But I feel that, to a large degree, Shane Black was trolling the viewer the entire time. He was at least trying to break formula, and that's something I personally really appreciate in a movie.

Personally the movie did not engage me enough for me to have expectations to be upset.

The movie started, scenes transpired, and it ended. At no point did I really care about what happened. I dunno, it just did nothing for me.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    heh

one-handed attacks
    edited May 2013
    LA, LA, LA لا لا لا Fremen cry of grief. (La translates as ultimate denial, a 'no' from which you cannot appeal.) The Arabic word لا (La) means 'no'.
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
    i want one of those foot long charleston chews
    maybe Rachilde was the one i was thinking of

i've never actually read her books, and there's a possibility that they're terrible both in quality and philosophy - much decadence is - but the juggler sounded kind of interesting to me and was on my radar to pick up eventually
    Per3th.jpg
    Cinders wrote: »
    hello friends

I got turned into a sexy cyborg.

The best kind.
    RAMADHAN رمضان Ancient religious period marked by fasting and prayer; traditionally, the ninth month of the solar-lunar calendar. Fremen mark the observance according to the ninth meridian-crossing cycle of the first moon. In the Muslim Lunar calendar, the ninth month is the month of fasting by the name Ramadan.
    network_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.