Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    lesbian vampires is a cliche as old as the hills

I think people have even read it into the brides in the original Dracula

Did you read Carmilla? Predates Dracula and has an obvious lesbian/bisexual vampire who you feel sorry for.

I liked it.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    lesbian vampires only date mortal chicks, because other lesbian vampires don't have periods

18645b71.gif
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So I caved yesterday and bought Xcom for $14.

If I wanna max out the possibility of getting clean one-hit kills, what should my tech tree situation look like?

Rocket launchers.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    downside of going with the cult thing: People will think when you come out, it was because of the cult

upside of the cult thing: people with think when you come out, it was because of the cult
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Herbert wrote a kickass submarine-thriller called "Dragon of the Sea".

it's set in a post-nuclear war world where an western sub is sneaking into enemy territory to steal a load of oil

all with the crew going slowly nuts being in a dank metal tube for weeks on end, sneaking past enemy patrols and such
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

If I wanna max out the possibility of getting clean one-hit kills, what should my tech tree situation look like?

There's not really a tech tree in XCOM so much as a bunch of shit. You can optimize stuff and whatevs, but honestly? Just go for interrogations to get bonuses then research that thing. There's generally not a path that's gonna make it super easy/super hard.

Also buy all the satellites you can forever and ever.
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    somewhere in the back of my head is some kind of actual lesbian vampires though

this shit is driving me crazy

how can lesbian vampires be on the tip of my tongue

@ me if you remember.

Le Fanu's Carmilla was about lesbian vampires.

Also, The Moth Diaries.

Read Carmilla, it just gave me a thirst for more :P
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Camping worries me a lot, wonder how I'll do that >.>

Just man up and bear it.

And by Bear it, I mean drink your own pee.

No, the problem is me+100 family friends I am not out to, eight months after I started developing breasts/after 6 months of estrogen, in a remote part of Northern California where it's hot in the middle of summer.

In order to not come out (which I do not want to this year) I will have to wear something to bind me a little, a shirt, and something ELSE over it that will cover any straps that might show.

Or find a whole new way of doing things.

Or pretend I am in a cult now and we have to wear long robes.

Maybe I'll go with the last one.

You could pretend you have gone full weaboo and bind your chest with sarashi?
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Just man up and bear it.

No, the problem is me+100 family friends I am not out to, eight months after I started developing breasts/after 6 months of estrogen, in a remote part of Northern California where it's hot in the middle of summer.

In order to not come out (which I do not want to this year) I will have to wear something to bind me a little, a shirt, and something ELSE over it that will cover any straps that might show.

Move it from the woods of Northern California to Switzerland and inside of a Chalet. With cocoa.
    tea-1.jpg
    downside of going with the cult thing: People will think when you come out, it was because of the cult

upside of the cult thing: people with think when you come out, it was because of the cult

I'll just need to spice it up.

No one will care about identity if it's an alien sex cult.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Photo%20May%2013%2C%208%2039%2058%20PM.jpg

my aunt's making this for the first time

i do not have high hopes

On-Cor

Do you want more

Cookin' raw with the Brooklyn boy
    G2Dcf.jpg
    So, apparently these drinks my one teacher has been giving me have nicotine in them...?

*sip*
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Just man up and bear it.

...looking at that, that seems like something that'd be neat to do in general >.>

Actually if it works well and is adjustable... that might not be a bad idea compared to the others I have. Mostly cuz it is aesthetically pleasing.

I'll just need to spice it up.

No one will care about identity if it's an alien sex cult.

It's california. Your economy is literally propped up by people who believe in an alien sex cult.

What you think Thetans are just like..sitting on you?

THEY FUCKIN YOU, SISTER.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    So, apparently these drinks my one teacher has been giving me have nicotine in them...?

*sip*

Do they come in a golden bucket-shaped container that sits on the floor?
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    moniker wrote: »

Just man up and bear it.

Move it from the woods of Northern California to Switzerland and inside of a Chalet. With cocoa.

Hmm.

This is intriguing to me.

Also means maybe the people I don't want to find out won't.

I hate knowing full well who's gonna be a dickish bigot a year before they find out.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

A billion snipers
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Fremen from Dune, right?

I thought it was well known that they're really heavily based on Muslim tradition?

No I knew that, and it was part of why I loved the book/overarcing storyline so much.

But I always thought he'd done an homage to Islam -- not a straight rip. I mean, I don't hold it against Frank Herbert per se, but god damn Frank.

He spent quite a bit of time over there as a reporter. A biography I read of him years and years ago suggested (and who knows how true this is, it was one of those that come out five minutes after the person dies) that one of his original plans for Dune was something even more directly allegorical, like, set on Earth in the very near future with Americans and Russians fighting over the remaining oil.

And yeah, the Fremen religion is intended to be a direct descendant of Islam, albeit after several thousand years of Telephone-like distortions. One of the sects in the book follows the teachings of the "Third Mohammed." I think we're meant to figure out who the first one was.

With the ecological allegory + the commentary on cyclical revolution/tyranny + the economic commentary (ie. spice ~= oil) + the cultural commentary (ie. Fremen staying Fremen, going back to the desert, etc.)...

There was a lot of subtext going on in Dune.

there is also the - Herbert says it wasn't deliberate, but I think it was certainly convenient in 1967 - coincidence that the spice is a powerful psychedelic drug
    edited May 2013
    Chanus wrote: »

*sip*

Do they come in a golden bucket-shaped container that sits on the floor?

http://img2u.info/ckgni/i/18645b71.gif
    Ludious on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=aQN1RaZN5Y4

This is the main reason to watch The Moth Diaries.

Also, because Lily Cole is a beautiful alien.
    Robos A Go Go on
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    I always wear boots, thick socks and jeans when I'm camping because snakes.

Just man up and bear it.

...looking at that, that seems like something that'd be neat to do in general >.>

Actually if it works well and is adjustable... that might not be a bad idea compared to the others I have. Mostly cuz it is aesthetically pleasing.

I wore one once for a festival and it was very snug. However, someone else put it on me, I am not sure how tight you could get it on by just yourself, but, perhaps there are creative solutions on that front.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Chicks dig vampires in general. They dig the magnetism, the sex appeal, the danger of dating the undead.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    evilbob wrote: »

There are way more snakes at home than camping.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Just man up and bear it.

Get really fat.

Just man up and bear it.

I wore one once for a festival and it was very snug. However, someone else put it on me, I am not sure how tight you could get it on by just yourself, but, perhaps there are creative solutions on that front.

Well actually, there are people there who could put it on me if I really needed to. Aside from the possible awkwardness of it. Though I'm sure I'd manage.

But yeah for some reason the way that looks is super appealing.

don't you think that's overkill? It's not like you live in Aust....

nm.

• FrosteeyFrosteey Don't you think it's a little belittling or whatever? Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness this thing that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LY7TJ16pg
    frosteey.gif
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    inquisitor your avatar is very pretty and i am jealous b/c i should make a swag attack on titan avatar as well
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Hahahaha yes get fat. Tell erryone they're just moobs.

Just man up and bear it.

Duct tape.
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Chicks dig vampires in general. They dig the magnetism, the sex appeal, the danger of dating the undead.

Vampires being sexual is actually really interesting to me, and one of the few things that's pretty consistent across lore.
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Hmm, what should I have for a dinner party:

pizza and beer
    pasta and wine
    some rice based dish with cocktails
    bread, water, and the fear of satan and his works

pasta

NO.

risotto and a good white wine

with brushectta for an antipasto

and homemade granita for dessert
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come

Their huge extendable...teeth
    tea-1.jpg

I don't think I could get that fat in a few months. Or maybe ever - I don't really have the genes or frame for it.

Also estrogen has made me lose weight, which is... wtf.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Was this not brought up yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRcZivttYY
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Shivahn, mind if I ask where you're going for camping?
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013

unrotting, perfectly preserved flesh also doesn't ever have BO
    Jacobkosh on

Just man up and bear it.

Well actually, there are people there who could put it on me if I really needed to. Aside from the possible awkwardness of it. Though I'm sure I'd manage.

But yeah for some reason the way that looks is super appealing.

Kawaii desu?
    tea-1.jpg

I don't think I could get that fat in a few months. Or maybe ever - I don't really have the genes or frame for it.

Also estrogen has made me lose weight, which is... wtf.

Drat.

Gaining, then losing the weight would have been a perfect metaphor for coming out.

And with a full body sarashi-thing, you'd even look like a cocoon.
This discussion has been closed.