Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Fremen from Dune, right?

I thought it was well known that they're really heavily based on Muslim tradition?

No I knew that, and it was part of why I loved the book/overarcing storyline so much.

But I always thought he'd done an homage to Islam -- not a straight rip. I mean, I don't hold it against Frank Herbert per se, but god damn Frank.

is it really a "rip" though when in the books it is clear these are the descendants of Islam in that setting, not a new religion that just happens to be identical to it?

Aside from the names, is it clear they're the descendants of Islam + Buddhism? It's not a crazy leap to assume so, but I don't specifically recall that being explicitly stated, but then I honestly don't know.

nothing about the backstory is clearly, explicitly stated. That's part of why the book is so brilliant (and the ones by his son are so terrible). But I think it's as clear as anything is that the universe of Dune is a far future of the "real world" and that the Zensunni were descendants of Islam.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i spent a couple hours fixing a trainwreck of a laptop yesterday for one of my racist uncle's friends. just to be nice, he is not a wealthy dude and i was doing him a favor because my uncle is intimidated by new OS's (like windows 8).

so all the drivers were totally fucked and the trackpad was messed up along with a few nearby keys and it got no internet access and they had no install media whatsoever. so after a lot of toying around i put windows 7 on it and downloaded a key remapper and set that up and everything. my uncle loaned the dude a wireless mouse since the trackpad was fucked, but it was basically working.

but he just called and apparently he doesn't have wifi at his house, only ethernet. i forgot to install the ethernet driver because it never even occurred to me that someone would have broadband but not wireless. he is all mad and sarcastically thanked my uncle for wasting his time.

lol

what a fucking entitled ungrateful prick

this is why I don't work for free. No one is ever grateful. I charge them to

1. Avoid doing the work
    2. If they choose to have the work done, say, with a jewish grin, NO REFUNDS.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    somewhere in the back of my head is some kind of actual lesbian vampires though

this shit is driving me crazy

how can lesbian vampires be on the tip of my tongue
    Per3th.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i don't think you can rip off religion anyway

that shit's public domain

buddah inc vs elendil in the case of the 4 stolen paths
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Fremen from Dune, right?

I thought it was well known that they're really heavily based on Muslim tradition?

No I knew that, and it was part of why I loved the book/overarcing storyline so much.

But I always thought he'd done an homage to Islam -- not a straight rip. I mean, I don't hold it against Frank Herbert per se, but god damn Frank.

is it really a "rip" though when in the books it is clear these are the descendants of Islam in that setting, not a new religion that just happens to be identical to it?

Honestly it seems weird to call something a rip at all if it's not based on a fictional work* or something. Like I wouldn't call a book with "Mers" that dragged sailors down and so on a rip, I'd just say it had mermaids in it.

*You know what I mean >.>

That was more a turn of phrase than intended to accuse Frank Herbert of "stealing" Islamic/Arabic terms. I'm actually pretty thrilled he did it, because his unique take on those traditions and the existing "mythos" was compelling and original.
    network_sig2.png
    also, not to put too fine a point on it, nothing short of getting parkinsons would stop me from making those jokes

aannddt theenfrn itww=ould jkjsut be hardaer
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    i spent a couple hours fixing a trainwreck of a laptop yesterday for one of my racist uncle's friends. just to be nice, he is not a wealthy dude and i was doing him a favor because my uncle is intimidated by new OS's (like windows 8).

so all the drivers were totally fucked and the trackpad was messed up along with a few nearby keys and it got no internet access and they had no install media whatsoever. so after a lot of toying around i put windows 7 on it and downloaded a key remapper and set that up and everything. my uncle loaned the dude a wireless mouse since the trackpad was fucked, but it was basically working.

but he just called and apparently he doesn't have wifi at his house, only ethernet.
    i forgot to install the ethernet driver because it never even occurred to me that someone would have broadband but not wireless.
    he is all mad and sarcastically thanked my uncle for wasting his time.

lol

what a fucking entitled
    ungrateful
    prick

oooooooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjjEzXiOeEA
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    Fremen from Dune, right?

Aside from the names, is it clear they're the descendants of Islam + Buddhism? It's not a crazy leap to assume so, but I don't specifically recall that being explicitly stated, but then I honestly don't know.

nothing about the backstory is clearly, explicitly stated. That's part of why the book is so brilliant (and the ones by his son are so terrible). But I think it's as clear as anything is that the universe of Dune is a far future of the "real world" and that the Zensunni were descendants of Islam.

Hmm, kk.

And I agree that an air of mystique is definitely preferable to having things spelled out and systematized. See: The Force in the original trilogy vs. the prequels.
    network_sig2.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i mean there's elizabeth bathory

but i don't think she was technically lesbian or a vampire
    Per3th.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    i want one of those foot long charleston chews

i want a foot-long Jew from Charleston
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Fremen from Dune, right?

He spent quite a bit of time over there as a reporter. A biography I read of him years and years ago suggested (and who knows how true this is, it was one of those that come out five minutes after the person dies) that one of his original plans for Dune was something even more directly allegorical, like, set on Earth in the very near future with Americans and Russians fighting over the remaining oil.

And yeah, the Fremen religion is intended to be a direct descendant of Islam, albeit after several thousand years of Telephone-like distortions. One of the sects in the book follows the teachings of the "Third Mohammed." I think we're meant to figure out who the first one was.
    Isn't Microsoft basically throwing in the towel on this Tiles thing and making Win8 more like 7 by default?
    network_sig2.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    i mean there's elizabeth bathory

but i don't think she was technically lesbian or a vampire

Bitch drank and bathed in blood. She was a vampire.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Hmm, what should I have for a dinner party:

pizza and beer
    pasta and wine
    some rice based dish with cocktails
    bread, water, and the fear of satan and his works
    tea-1.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    bleh

I need to pick up some more hot weather-appropriate work clothing

these shirts are too heavy

I'm going to wear my jacket all through summer and die.
    Camping worries me a lot, wonder how I'll do that >.>
    moniker wrote: »

pizza and beer
    pasta and wine

three of those sound good but one sounds less good
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    hello friends

i am trying to post less so i did some reading most of today, and now i am writing le codes

but i am taking a break to fart and say hello

did the internet survive my 12 hour absence

Mim's dead and Richy's on fire.

So barely.

Also, good for you, I've been meaning to do that and... well, failing.

What. Why am I dead?!

You're not I was just making stuff up to make Chu feel bad about killing the internet!

Stop posting and get back in the coffin!

*hoping this is the start of Lesbian Vampire fanfic*

We need more trans lesbian vampires.

So there can be lesbian vampires staking each other.

There uh... may or may not be some art that is this...

That I may or may not know about.

Maybe.

Maybe :P

Actually that does sound weirdly hot >.>

Ok maybe not weird. In the slightest. Why would my brain go there? Dumb brain.

Just man up and bear it.

And by Bear it, I mean drink your own pee.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular

pizza and beer
    pasta and wine

three of those sound good but one sounds less good

yeah, rice is gross
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!

Go camping in a Swiss chalet.
    tea-1.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Fremen from Dune, right?

Hmm, kk.

And I agree that an air of mystique is definitely preferable to having things spelled out and systematized. See: The Force in the original trilogy vs. the prequels.

This is a lesson that Warhammer 40k used to know but has forgotten, much to my disappointment.

Before everything was vague and crazy, hardly made sense, and your brain could concoct wondrous theories and mad connections.

Like, the necrons before. No one knew where they came from, no one knew why they wanted to scour all organic life from the universe, they would just show up in their tomb ships with no rhyme or reason and go to town.

And then like, in the latest edition you can now read about their governmental system and internal politics.

And its FUCKING LAME.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    lesbian vampires is a cliche as old as the hills

I think people have even read it into the brides in the original Dracula
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Fremen from Dune, right?

He spent quite a bit of time over there as a reporter. A biography I read of him years and years ago suggested (and who knows how true this is, it was one of those that come out five minutes after the person dies) that one of his original plans for Dune was something even more directly allegorical, like, set on Earth in the very near future with Americans and Russians fighting over the remaining oil.

And yeah, the Fremen religion is intended to be a direct descendant of Islam, albeit after several thousand years of Telephone-like distortions. One of the sects in the book follows the teachings of the "Third Mohammed." I think we're meant to figure out who the first one was.

With the ecological allegory + the commentary on cyclical revolution/tyranny + the economic commentary (ie. spice ~= oil) + the cultural commentary (ie. Fremen staying Fremen, going back to the desert, etc.)...

There was a lot of subtext going on in Dune.
    network_sig2.png

@ me if you remember.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Photo%20May%2013%2C%208%2039%2058%20PM.jpg

my aunt's making this for the first time

i do not have high hopes
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

pizza and beer
    pasta and wine

pasta
    NO.
    like the karate kid of pizza
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    always pasta
    NO.
    lesbian vampires only date mortal chicks, because other lesbian vampires don't have periods
    So It Goes wrote: »
    always pasta

I like the way you think.
    tea-1.jpg
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    lesbian vampires is a cliche as old as the hills

I think people have even read it into the brides in the original Dracula

Something something drinking blood.
    Photo%20May%2013%2C%208%2039%2058%20PM.jpg

my aunt's making this for the first time

i do not have high hopes

You live in the most ghetto family since What's Happening
    So I caved yesterday and bought Xcom for $14.

If I wanna max out the possibility of getting clean one-hit kills, what should my tech tree situation look like?
    network_sig2.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

@ me if you remember.

Le Fanu's Carmilla was about lesbian vampires.

Also, The Moth Diaries.
    Robos A Go Go on
    quinoa is one cup to one cup water right
    NO.
    Feral wrote: »

Just man up and bear it.

And by Bear it, I mean drink your own pee.

No, the problem is me+100 family friends I am not out to, eight months after I started developing breasts/after 6 months of estrogen, in a remote part of Northern California where it's hot in the middle of summer.

In order to not come out (which I do not want to this year) I will have to wear something to bind me a little, a shirt, and something ELSE over it that will cover any straps that might show.

Or find a whole new way of doing things.

Or pretend I am in a cult now and we have to wear long robes.

Maybe I'll go with the last one.
This discussion has been closed.