Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    This Gates Foundation letter is pretty nice

lots of 50% reductions in bad things apparently
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    We're going to be hearing about IRS-ghazi for a long time

it is the culmination of a long-term plan by lawmakers.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    one of my best friends is gonna be on national radio!

also his song is gonna be played on the same radio

http://www.nrk.no/urort/Laat/426454/default.aspx

morten.jpg&w=704

Dat neckbeard.

mortenlite.jpg
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    I have something to say about this IRS thing, I'll just head over to the Obama thread and-

good lord the screaming

*backs away slowly*

say it here

we'll have a well-reasoned and respectful discussion about it!

I just think it's extremely problematic for the IRS to be focusing energy based on assumed political affiliation of its targets. It's a huge line to cross in terms of honest government and people's belief in the system. It's terrible PR as well to be hassling the very groups that are motivated by big, stupid, inefficient government.

As we get closer to ACA implementation I cannot imagine a reason why any Democrat would support or defend efforts to prove us right when we say government can't be trusted to deal fairly with people and ought to be strangled as much as possible.

If no one gets fired over this I'll have to conclude that the Obama admin is basically corrupted by political desire to win and views me as an enemy or an impediment, rather than a citizen. This is the line for me, and if we cross it without some consequences for those who were involved, I'll no longer be able to trust the administration to deal honestly in any other circumstance.

@ronya @gooey @sarksus and others.

This is an eminently terrible take away from this.

It is just so incredibly wrong and horrible I don't know what else to say. Obama didn't like what happened, they had already been told to stop it once again.

This is not them making YOU an enemy, nor was it stopping any tea party group from getting charitable status under the law.

I just.

Come on, man.

I disagree, and I don't care if Obama didn't like it. I'm sure he's super pissed that this shit came to light!

Heads need to roll or I can't take him seriously at all. If you want your government big and intrusive, and you don't bother to punish it when it does stuff like this, I can only conclude that the behavior will be tolerated again in the future.

I am going to point out that you said that if people don't get fired you will assume Obama thinks of you as an enemy and not a citizen.

Which is different from this new point, which is equally specious. And honestly, while this is stupid, it isn't the kind of fuckup which should require "heads to roll".

Wiretapping the AP might be.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    that

that was sarcasm spool

we do not have reasonable arguments about things

Geth, calculate @gooey sarcasm level

geth roll 1d1+8999

but...

it's not over 9000

:(
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    that

that was sarcasm spool

geth roll 1d1+8999

Geth roll 1d1+8999 for What?
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Minister on twitter: "fuck Oslo."

MP in reply: "fuck the rest of Norway."

ah, politics.
    xlh6c3.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    I am very not happy about the IRS targeting people based on their politics.

Somewhere I have a clip of Obama joking about people getting audited... It's not funny now.

There's a slightly broader problem here where recent evolutions of campaign finance laws have caused a proliferation of 501(c)(4)'s that engage in political campaigning, and the FEC has been effectively neutered as a regulatory agency with respect to those 501(c)(4)'s, and so the only way to keep them anywhere approaching above-board is to check their taxes to make sure they are behaving in a way in which they are entitled to their 501(c)(4) status, and moreover there are many, many more right-leaning 501(c)(4)'s that were started over the last couple of years than left-leaning 501(c)(4)'s, and establishing any policy in which the IRS wants to check those new 501(c)(4)'s for the purposes of ensuring that current campaign finance law is being observed without auditing every 501(c)(4) started in the last couple of years (including those non-political 501(c)(4)'s) will require a delimiting criteria that is inherently political in nature.

Having said that, I acknowledge that this particular implementation of a policy sucks balls.

No one of this stuff matters - it's a distraction to talk about it.

I actually tend to disagree with the notion that "only the facts that are important to me matters" when most people use them, I'm afraid. I am not afraid of money being involved in politics; I come from a state generally referred to the wild west of campaign finance, but we also require full disclosure of all contributions. Abuse of the 501(c)(4) for political purposes will undermine disclosure, and so it's worth taking that seriously, even if doesn't fit conveniently with anyone's sense of outrage.

No... I mean that bringing up opinions on the legitimacy of the 501(c)(4) designation is a distraction from the issue of overt politically biased scrutiny of applicants.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    @AManFromEarth.

Hey AMFE.

Guess what.

I got into Edinburgh. :D

THE PA LEGACY IN THE GODFORSAKEN MOUNTAINS OF THE SCOTTISH NORTH(ish) WILL LIVE ON.
    @Ravenhpltc24

You know, this morning I had a dream that I had gone back to Edinburgh. I was stomping around George Square and talking with my advisors.

Congrats, Raven. It will probably be the best thing to ever happen to you (so far).
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    wait, evan soltas is blogging at wonkbook?

evan soltas the undergraduate?

I am a failure :|

I once read the Wikipedia "supply & demand" article and I was given a weekly economics column at the New York Times.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    political [chat] hatefuck imminent

prepare emergency ky dispensers

initiate plan bravo uniform tango tango

you don't get to pretend to be above-it-all or annoyed when you were egging it on man.

what are you talking about
    I have something to say about this IRS thing, I'll just head over to the Obama thread and-

good lord the screaming

*backs away slowly*

say it here

What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    that

that was sarcasm spool

geth roll 1d1+8999

Well that's a relief.... If it was just one point larger....
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    So anyone know the required number of applications for a good percentage of acceptance? I'm currently at 8.

Its not that I don't fear acceptance my writing skills, language and marks are top notch, I currently have 3.78/4.0 GPA, so I think I'm in a good position to get in somewhere but I need to feel secure.

expand your options and apply to other countries too then

I am applying to the US, UK and here in Canada. I feel I should apply to Turkey and India for some reason.
    kaleedity wrote: »
    So anyone know the required number of applications for a good percentage of acceptance? I'm currently at 8.

Its not that I don't fear acceptance my writing skills, language and marks are top notch, I currently have 3.78/4.0 GPA, so I think I'm in a good position to get in somewhere but I need to feel secure.

college? work? dating sites?

Sorry I mean Graduate studies particular in the field of Pre-Modern South Asian studies, focusing on the Mughals, or Inner/Central Asia focusing either on the Uzbek Kaghanate or the relations of the Turks and China in the 6th-7th centuries.

This is awesome. I am actually totally ignorant of the rejection rates of anything between middling and extraordinarily high tier colleges in the states. I would be surprised if you got a majority of rejections.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

expand your options and apply to other countries too then

I am applying to the US, UK and here in Canada. I feel I should apply to Turkey and India for some reason.
    kaleedity wrote: »

college? work? dating sites?

Sorry I mean Graduate studies particular in the field of Pre-Modern South Asian studies, focusing on the Mughals, or Inner/Central Asia focusing either on the Uzbek Kaghanate or the relations of the Turks and China in the 6th-7th centuries.

this is specific enough that firing off random apps is probably a little less productive than contacting particular potential graduate-level advisors and asking for feedback

which should give you much more certainty since those contacts will probably be the same people approving any apps. this isn't undergrad, there's no big admissions offices screening out candidates

Somewhere I have a clip of Obama joking about people getting audited... It's not funny now.

There's a slightly broader problem here where recent evolutions of campaign finance laws have caused a proliferation of 501(c)(4)'s that engage in political campaigning, and the FEC has been effectively neutered as a regulatory agency with respect to those 501(c)(4)'s, and so the only way to keep them anywhere approaching above-board is to check their taxes to make sure they are behaving in a way in which they are entitled to their 501(c)(4) status, and moreover there are many, many more right-leaning 501(c)(4)'s that were started over the last couple of years than left-leaning 501(c)(4)'s, and establishing any policy in which the IRS wants to check those new 501(c)(4)'s for the purposes of ensuring that current campaign finance law is being observed without auditing every 501(c)(4) started in the last couple of years (including those non-political 501(c)(4)'s) will require a delimiting criteria that is inherently political in nature.

Having said that, I acknowledge that this particular implementation of a policy sucks balls.

I actually tend to disagree with the notion that "only the facts that are important to me matters" when most people use them, I'm afraid. I am not afraid of money being involved in politics; I come from a state generally referred to the wild west of campaign finance, but we also require full disclosure of all contributions. Abuse of the 501(c)(4) for political purposes will undermine disclosure, and so it's worth taking that seriously, even if doesn't fit conveniently with anyone's sense of outrage.

No... I mean that bringing up opinions on the legitimacy of the 501(c)(4) designation is a distraction from the issue of overt politically biased scrutiny of applicants.

Scrutiny which didn't lead to persecution which wasn't handed down from the Oval Office, which was ended the minute someone in Washington found out they were doing.

Yeah. Obama's out to get all of you rethuglicans
    Lh96QHG.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

you don't get to pretend to be above-it-all or annoyed when you were egging it on man.

good lord the screaming

*backs away slowly*

say it here

a joke is not egging it on hth
    919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

i'm gonna give you my stimulus package
    geth roll 1d20 for butts
    919UOwT.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I don't know what a keynes is but I can make pretty graphs in excel, which is really what economics is all about.
    Organichu wrote: »

due to inflation it's a little underwhelming and i apologize for that : (
    that is a pretty nice butts score
    919UOwT.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

good lord the screaming

*backs away slowly*

say it here

that's bullshit and you know it
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    @AManFromEarth.

Hey AMFE.

Guess what.

I got into Edinburgh. :D

THE PA LEGACY IN THE GODFORSAKEN MOUNTAINS OF THE SCOTTISH NORTH(ish) WILL LIVE ON.

We must add you to our collection of forumers we have met.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

we don't actually know if the scrutiny was biased yet

we merely know that they use keywords to apply scrutiny, but as info is coming out, it turns out that they use keywords for everything

so the question is now whether the choice of keywords was politically biased, in the circumstances
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    This is unreal.

I'm trying to forward a port on my cable modem, for which I apparently need a "password of the day" from Comcast. Call up their tech support, lady tells me after a 15-minute call that there's a separate tech support line for my specific situation.

That you have to pay for.
    network_sig2.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    in this JLU episode they got this captain marvel guy and hes way stronger than superman (at least, more durable and has magic powers)
    so how do any of the previous plotlines where the earth was in danger make sense, captain marvel could presumably just have crushed the entire thanagarian race when they invaded or beat Amazo down
    override367 on
    Seriously though.

We just had it break that the DoJ was wiretapping the AP under a tenuous THREAT! LEAK! premise.

And the thing that is pissing off the GOP is what some chucklefuck underfunded office in Ohio got up to two years ago.

:rotate:
    Lh96QHG.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

tole ya

good lord the screaming

*backs away slowly*

say it here

I just think it's extremely problematic for the IRS to be focusing energy based on assumed political affiliation of its targets. It's a huge line to cross in terms of honest government and people's belief in the system. It's terrible PR as well to be hassling the very groups that are motivated by big, stupid, inefficient government.

As we get closer to ACA implementation I cannot imagine a reason why any Democrat would support or defend efforts to prove us right when we say government can't be trusted to deal fairly with people and ought to be strangled as much as possible.

If no one gets fired over this I'll have to conclude that the Obama admin is basically corrupted by political desire to win and views me as an enemy or an impediment, rather than a citizen. This is the line for me, and if we cross it without some consequences for those who were involved, I'll no longer be able to trust the administration to deal honestly in any other circumstance.

It is just so incredibly wrong and horrible I don't know what else to say. Obama didn't like what happened, they had already been told to stop it once again.

This is not them making YOU an enemy, nor was it stopping any tea party group from getting charitable status under the law.

I just.

Come on, man.

I disagree, and I don't care if Obama didn't like it. I'm sure he's super pissed that this shit came to light!

Heads need to roll or I can't take him seriously at all. If you want your government big and intrusive, and you don't bother to punish it when it does stuff like this, I can only conclude that the behavior will be tolerated again in the future.

I am going to point out that you said that if people don't get fired you will assume Obama thinks of you as an enemy and not a citizen.

Which is different from this new point, which is equally specious. And honestly, while this is stupid, it isn't the kind of fuckup which should require "heads to roll".

Well I get that the level of fuck-acting you'll tolerate from this administration is far far higher. So ok.

Maybe he's going down the list of Nixon-related crimes and changing them up a bit, like bad political fanfic.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    in this JLU episode they got this captain marvel guy and hes way stronger than superman in every way

so how do any of the previous plotlines where the earth was in danger make sense, captain marvel could presumably just have crushed the entire thanagarian race when they invaded or beat Amazo down

You mean Shazam.

due to inflation it's a little underwhelming and i apologize for that : (

it's not the size of the laffer curve

it's the motion of the high-wage-earners
    919UOwT.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i was kind of excited for dota 2

and then i read the dev log

apparently the mission was to recreate dota and preserve all the frustrating, nonsensical fiddly bits

but update the graphics

fuck

that

come back to lol you big dumb

good lord the screaming

*backs away slowly*

say it here

that's bullshit and you know it

it really is not

chill out
    919UOwT.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

tole ya

although then I went to the Wiki page for this MDG thing and sub-saharan Africa hasn't made much progress in their goals!
    skippy are your parts supposed to show up today?
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    This is unreal.

I'm trying to forward a port on my cable modem, for which I apparently need a "password of the day" from Comcast. Call up their tech support, lady tells me after a 15-minute call that there's a separate tech support line for my specific situation.

That you have to pay for.

buy a cable modem and never use a comcast cable modem ever again

in other news I got comcast's $249.99 charge on my bill for my free installation to disappear
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I really want to call my family and tell them the good news (I also had a baller interview this morning for an internship that pays twice as much as any job I've ever had), but they are burying my cousin today. My stupid 20-year-old cousin. I'll tell them tomorrow. :(
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    nm it turned around

superman's behavior was kind of retarded though

good lord the screaming

*backs away slowly*

say it here

I just.

Come on, man.

Well I get that the level of fuck-acting you'll tolerate from this administration is far far higher. So ok.

Maybe he's going down the list of Nixon-related crimes and changing them up a bit, like bad political fanfic.

Oh come on.

You are honestly trying to say that the IRS leadership saying "Stop it, idiots, this isn't how this works" to the 501(c130-44-99-5447899
    0 office is "fuck acting"?

Please.
    Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.