Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    @Donkey Kong

Yep, confirmed just now that Comcast is blocking me with a pay wall on their tech support for a service that I pay ~$90 a month for. What I want to do is apparently technically called putting the modem in bridge mode, and no one in their regular tech support can do it -- just people in "Signature Plus" tech support.

Signature Plus just happens to cost $39.99 upfront, and ~$15/mo. :?

Fuck this ISP oligopoly Earth.

What are you trying to do? I've used a laptop as a network bridge before, it might not be bad

Need to forward a very specific port on my modem to get remote access working in AirVideo. AirVideo's tech support says forwarding the port on the modem is the only way to get it to work.

Comcast says no fuck you pay me.

And for $65 (one month of their shitty plus gold service) you can buy a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem of your own and do whatever the fuck you want.

Just do this. Fuck Comcast in the ear.

Me: "So if I buy my own modem -- like, just go to Best Buy and buy my own cable modem -- will I not have to deal with this bridge mode problem?"
    Comcast Tech Support: "Well actually you'd still have to have bridge mode configured by one of our Help Desk technicians."
    Me: "And I can only do that if I have the Signature Plus tech support?"
    Comcast: "Yes, that's correct."
    *5 seconds of silence*
    Comcast: "Hello? Mr. Sattar?"
    Me: "Okay thank you have a nice day."
    *click*

: |

That's fucking bullshit. They are LYING to you.

I'm tempted to think so.

Although actually, I finally figured out how to get to my physical modem's "Advanced" settings tab. Under the "Router" setting, it says "Disabled," so I'm tempted to think my modem might not even be the problem -- Comcast might just be cockblocking me on their end.
    network_sig2.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    If she says different she's lying.

also mim tell me about this comicing thing. I am interested.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    i wish we had automated red-light cameras and speed/ noise detectors in my city

i'm totes for cc fucking everywhere too

as good as the boston/ cambridge/ watertown cops were in the bombing/ terrorist thing lately, it generally takes something of that magnitude to get them off their asses. we have a lot of perverse incentives that keeps them from really focusing on their actual jobs.

Because our crime rates are low and general satisfaction levels are high, and because they get double-time for playing angry birds at a construction site but nothing for actually walking a beat or ticketing people who double-park on major streets with their hazards on for a half-hour, and because none of the cambridge cops actually live in cambridge, it's really hard to get them to engage.

They do all right if a black guy tries to break into his own house...

they are, admittedly, a little more proactive around mount auburn/ brattle street with the multimillion dollar homes than they are in my hood.

people talk a lot about how boston is (or was) a racist city because of the busing riots back in the 70s, but i almost never see anything like that in cambridge. most of the crime and disturbance seems to be irish/ italian white townies, and there are loads of wealthy/ established minorities and foreigners. i'd be a little surprised if that cop was at all motivated by racism in shaking gates down.

almost certainly what happened was the cop was being kind of a dick and, like, demanding id and being a tough guy, and gates, being hypersensitive to cop bullshit, escalated the whole thing until he was arrested.

will if where you live is the hood i don't want to be on this planet anymore

east cambridge used to be famous for being a shitty neighborhood. even when i moved there it was a little sketchy, and there are still more than a few section-8 families that have passed down their rent-controlled apartments for generations and are kind of a blight.

still, the gentrification of kendall square has done wonders, and east cambridge has reached that tipping point ratio of of pioneers/ hipsters/ young parents to drug dealers/ hobos/ layabouts that the kind of shit that used to pass in broad daylight without comment no longer really happens.

like there is a little wall in front of a portuguese church up on the intersection of medeiros and cambridge st. mean townies used to gather there every fucking day - like 12 of them - and just stand there and glower at anyone walking by. if you looked anywhere in their direction they'd try to start a fight.

this shit had been going on for decades - like, literally generations of shitty townies - fathers, uncles, sons, grandsons - had passed down this tradition of standing in front of "the wall" and being assholes to anyone they didn't know. the cops didn't do anything about it because it was just expected.

anyhow, i've not seen anyone hanging in front of the wall like that for a few years. it seems like gentrification has finally driven them off.

huh, interesting. it looked gorgeous to me- the nearby stores, the park with poop bags, people seemingly comfortable out front without any glowering. that's some improvement. i loved your neighborhood.

Remember Will is only slightly more rational about anime threads than he is about 'townies'

fair enough but seriously we used to have a stabbing once a year outside the portuguese club and there is no excuse for those dicks who used to camp the wall

like, i got my hair cut by a local girl who was somehow related to one of the old east cambridge families and was complaining about how her people used to run that town and how she was really sad and wistful that everyone had now moved out to medford and "the wall" was now sadly vacant and just anyone could walk around without getting thrashed.

that's almost like being in the presence of royalty

kind of like when you post it's like almost being in the presence of a lady

you ever have such a big poo brewing that you can feel a dull ache at the base of your spine
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    man i don't at all begrudge will his dislike of townies. i spent years in an environment where dickheads 'owned' corners and you had to sort of navigate this shitty ghetto hierarchy. i would love to live in a gentrified, comfortable, friendly place away from all the antagonistic poors.

I was going to say that you have antagonistic richies too but when I think about it, I don't really think you have the low level threat of physical violence in most of the mid or upper $ places I've been

so either that is a perception error on my part

or the more shit you have to lose, the less likely you are to pound a guy's face with a rock because he scuffed your pumas

This is true, but this is Cambridge not Camden.

man east cambridge seriously used to be no-joke shitty. in the 90s some hobos captured a girl, tied her to a chair naked and literally tortured her to death. kendall square, which is an upmarket clean tech hub now, was nothing but a series of abandoned warehouses and brownfields even when i moved there 8 years ago.

it was before my time, and it's gotten a whole lot better, but there's still bits of the "old east cambridge" legacy

Yeah and like 8 years ago two homeless dudes got killed by a pair of white supremacists in Hingham. Anecdotes and all. From 1960-1989 there was an average of a bit under 5 murders in Cambridge, since then its fairly consistently 2 (with 82% convicted). So at its worst (given a population conveniently close to 100K) it was 10% of DC. And its always been above average for income, education and employment

ed
    I mean the South End or Southie or Eastie, sure. Those have been gentrified to all get out. Somerville too. But Cambridge has always been middle to upper middle class
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    i sent an email to a bunch of ppl for a small party or somesuch

someone emailed me back saying can you make a FB invite, i forget things if it's not on FB :| lol

That is a bit lame. That being said, I've not been invited to stuff because people forgot to contact me because they put the invite on FB. I get that it is easier that way, but then on the other hand, writing emails is hardly an effort
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular

as good as the boston/ cambridge/ watertown cops were in the bombing/ terrorist thing lately, it generally takes something of that magnitude to get them off their asses. we have a lot of perverse incentives that keeps them from really focusing on their actual jobs.

Because our crime rates are low and general satisfaction levels are high, and because they get double-time for playing angry birds at a construction site but nothing for actually walking a beat or ticketing people who double-park on major streets with their hazards on for a half-hour, and because none of the cambridge cops actually live in cambridge, it's really hard to get them to engage.

they are, admittedly, a little more proactive around mount auburn/ brattle street with the multimillion dollar homes than they are in my hood.

people talk a lot about how boston is (or was) a racist city because of the busing riots back in the 70s, but i almost never see anything like that in cambridge. most of the crime and disturbance seems to be irish/ italian white townies, and there are loads of wealthy/ established minorities and foreigners. i'd be a little surprised if that cop was at all motivated by racism in shaking gates down.

almost certainly what happened was the cop was being kind of a dick and, like, demanding id and being a tough guy, and gates, being hypersensitive to cop bullshit, escalated the whole thing until he was arrested.

east cambridge used to be famous for being a shitty neighborhood. even when i moved there it was a little sketchy, and there are still more than a few section-8 families that have passed down their rent-controlled apartments for generations and are kind of a blight.

still, the gentrification of kendall square has done wonders, and east cambridge has reached that tipping point ratio of of pioneers/ hipsters/ young parents to drug dealers/ hobos/ layabouts that the kind of shit that used to pass in broad daylight without comment no longer really happens.

like there is a little wall in front of a portuguese church up on the intersection of medeiros and cambridge st. mean townies used to gather there every fucking day - like 12 of them - and just stand there and glower at anyone walking by. if you looked anywhere in their direction they'd try to start a fight.

this shit had been going on for decades - like, literally generations of shitty townies - fathers, uncles, sons, grandsons - had passed down this tradition of standing in front of "the wall" and being assholes to anyone they didn't know. the cops didn't do anything about it because it was just expected.

anyhow, i've not seen anyone hanging in front of the wall like that for a few years. it seems like gentrification has finally driven them off.

huh, interesting. it looked gorgeous to me- the nearby stores, the park with poop bags, people seemingly comfortable out front without any glowering. that's some improvement. i loved your neighborhood.

Remember Will is only slightly more rational about anime threads than he is about 'townies'

fair enough but seriously we used to have a stabbing once a year outside the portuguese club and there is no excuse for those dicks who used to camp the wall

like, i got my hair cut by a local girl who was somehow related to one of the old east cambridge families and was complaining about how her people used to run that town and how she was really sad and wistful that everyone had now moved out to medford and "the wall" was now sadly vacant and just anyone could walk around without getting thrashed.

you ever have such a big poo brewing that you can feel a dull ache at the base of your spine

Yes, have you ever taken a poop so smelly it even made you gag and you had to throw up in the trash can

Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    @Hamurabi What kinda modem? Model number if possible.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    pantsb i do not understand the thrust of your argument, here
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    Should I watch Strip Search as an aspiring comic-ist?

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

I don't know the term for someone who wants to write AND draw comics.

well make sure you don't mention it in rl

i'm pretty sure that shit can still get you kicked out of the military

mim already got kicked out because she was too lesbian.

How lesbian is she?
    She watched "The L Word"
    *gasp*
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong

Yep, confirmed just now that Comcast is blocking me with a pay wall on their tech support for a service that I pay ~$90 a month for. What I want to do is apparently technically called putting the modem in bridge mode, and no one in their regular tech support can do it -- just people in "Signature Plus" tech support.

What are you trying to do? I've used a laptop as a network bridge before, it might not be bad

Need to forward a very specific port on my modem to get remote access working in AirVideo. AirVideo's tech support says forwarding the port on the modem is the only way to get it to work.

And for $65 (one month of their shitty plus gold service) you can buy a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem of your own and do whatever the fuck you want.

Me: "So if I buy my own modem -- like, just go to Best Buy and buy my own cable modem -- will I not have to deal with this bridge mode problem?"
    Comcast Tech Support: "Well actually you'd still have to have bridge mode configured by one of our Help Desk technicians."
    *5 seconds of silence*
    *click*

Yeah, this is just a plain lie. Comcast's modems use the DOCSIS standard and you can absolutely just plug one in and go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825115071
    dkmouthsig.png

yes; it is also the origin of tømme ryggen - emptying your back - as a norwegian term for having a shit.
    xlh6c3.png
    no but sometimes my genitals smell strongly of waffles
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

someone emailed me back saying can you make a FB invite, i forget things if it's not on FB :| lol

someone is right

i would be weirded out if I got invited to something via email

yeah but @tav you're still in college

i'm 3 years out of college
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    dporowski wrote: »
    @Hamurabi What kinda modem? Model number if possible.

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 Touchstone WideBand Cable Modem, Model WBM760A.
    network_sig2.png
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

That is a bit lame. That being said, I've not been invited to stuff because people forgot to contact me because they put the invite on FB. I get that it is easier that way, but then on the other hand, writing emails is hardly an effort

I bet it depends a lot but I don't have the email adresses for even half of my closest friends - ergo facebook/phone.
    edited May 2013

that's because you go to truck stops and get a lumberjack slam
    Ludious on

waffles aren't supposed to go there. You'll get a yeast infection.

also I do not approve of the gross-off you and lud are having. It can only go badly for the rest of us.
    xlh6c3.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    wait can i just buy a cable modem and not pay comcast 7 bucks a month to use theirs
    919UOwT.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

right, and then i have this on the other hand ... i have a few friends who either don't ever check fb, or don't have fb

one person said she has missed bdays because she was invited on fb (tho i don't know why she doesnt turn on email notifications for events in that case)
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    lol using email for invitations.
    xlh6c3.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

How lesbian is she?
    She watched "The L Word"
    *gasp*

That doesn't make you lesbian, that just means you have bad taste. Or are a masochist.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City

also I do not approve of the gross-off you and lud are having. It can only go badly for the rest of us.

he said i'm 'almost' a lady and i will not stand for that hurtful and untrue slur against my character
  • MimMim Registered User regular

I'm really into slice-of-life comics but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at other things.

RIGHT NOW THOUGH, My art skill is not up to par with starting a comic, so I am focusing on the basics and going from there. I'll do some crappily drawn comics for practice though. I also need to focus on my writing. I've been told I'm good with dialogue but I want it to be able to write something funny and has a well thought out plot, y'know?

So basically, I'm in "Study" mode. Sarksus got me "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth" as a birthday gift to help me out.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    There are some absolute stone cold foxes in the zero vision semi finals this year. Ukraine and Cyprus are insanely hot.

I remember someone pointed out this really hot Romanian woman to me a few years back. Unfortunately she was paired with the European version of Paul Giamatti.
    maybe an exception is dumb college students who are driving daddy's bmw but still want to fight

and groups of military dudes too, maybe

it's a big problem with military dudes in a lot of places

they tend to put military bases in shitty parts of town (or i guess maybe shitty parts of town grow up around military bases)

so the military kids - generally 19-24 year-olds from elsewhere get leave and cruise to the local townie bar and shoot off their mouths in this bar/ neighborhood that the locals "own" and end up in really serious fights.

my buddy from el paso says that this is absolutely routine in el paso.

it's not so much that the military kids are starting trouble so much as they're just setting off all the triggers that the hypersensitive townies have set up

If there aren't payday loan places and bars near a base before it's built, there will be after.

There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    facebook is actually super practical for arranging for people to go to a place.

Way better than the million text messages to a million people approach
    xlh6c3.png
    Gooey wrote: »
    wait can i just buy a cable modem and not pay comcast 7 bucks a month to use theirs

newsflash, Reaganboy. The Dow says YES.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular

tl;dr Cambridge was never ghetto-lite
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Yeah, this is just a plain lie. Comcast's modems use the DOCSIS standard and you can absolutely just plug one in and go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825115071

I was shopping around NewEgg for modems when someone (maybe you?) mentioned that option earlier.

Guess I could go to Best Buy and get one just to see if it works. Though it'd still have to be registered to my account, right?
    network_sig2.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    Aw, the guy from Tokio Hotel actually looks like a dude nowadays

That's no fun
    camo_sig2.png
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong

*5 seconds of silence*
    *click*

That's fucking bullshit. They are LYING to you.

I'm tempted to think so.

Although actually, I finally figured out how to get to my physical modem's "Advanced" settings tab. Under the "Router" setting, it says "Disabled," so I'm tempted to think my modem might not even be the problem -- Comcast might just be cockblocking me on their end.

This is not hard to check at all. Open your router's configuration and look at what it calls its "WAN" or "Internet" IP. Does it start with 10 or 192?
    dkmouthsig.png
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    I wanted to watch strip search until I learned no stripping was actually involved.

Pfft. PFFT I say!
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I should become a cartoonist too

a daily strip about the goings-on of chat.

GEDNSFv.png

You're welcome

PAY ME
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    arch! what's up

I'm really into slice-of-life comics but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at other things.

RIGHT NOW THOUGH, My art skill is not up to par with starting a comic, so I am focusing on the basics and going from there. I'll do some crappily drawn comics for practice though. I also need to focus on my writing. I've been told I'm good with dialogue but I want it to be able to write something funny and has a well thought out plot, y'know?

So basically, I'm in "Study" mode. Sarksus got me "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth" as a birthday gift to help me out.

loomis is the good shit.

learning how to draw a comic by drawing a comic is also the good shit.

I should really do that too.
    xlh6c3.png
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    facebook is actually super practical for arranging for people to go to a place.

Way better than the million text messages to a million people approach

It really is good. For instance it keeps conversation and questions tidy without you getting a 50 emails long mass mail back and forth. Also built in map is really nice.

he said i'm 'almost' a lady and i will not stand for that hurtful and untrue slur against my character

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I meant almost a lady in the same way a stillborn is almost a baby
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

newsflash, Reaganboy. The Dow says YES.

how do i do that

can i just plug one in or do i have to have the mac address added to their system or what
    919UOwT.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

How lesbian is she?
    She watched "The L Word"
    *gasp*

That doesn't make you lesbian, that just means you have bad taste. Or are a masochist.

I am somewhat of a masochist. I did endure Nip/Tuck AFTER season 2 until the very end.

I just like to see shows through. Like, parts of me wanted to give up on Twin Peaks because it got SLOW, but then I finished it.

Then I got upset with the end.

I'm still upset about the end.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

tl;dr Cambridge was never ghetto-lite

I live in Dorchester do I live in the ghetto
    G2Dcf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.