Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• MimMim Registered User regular
    UPS

where are you

I'm upstairs taking a doo-doo
    So give me some time
    To wipe my behind
    and I'll deliver to you
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    i wish we had automated red-light cameras and speed/ noise detectors in my city

i'm totes for cc fucking everywhere too

as good as the boston/ cambridge/ watertown cops were in the bombing/ terrorist thing lately, it generally takes something of that magnitude to get them off their asses. we have a lot of perverse incentives that keeps them from really focusing on their actual jobs.

Because our crime rates are low and general satisfaction levels are high, and because they get double-time for playing angry birds at a construction site but nothing for actually walking a beat or ticketing people who double-park on major streets with their hazards on for a half-hour, and because none of the cambridge cops actually live in cambridge, it's really hard to get them to engage.

They do all right if a black guy tries to break into his own house...

they are, admittedly, a little more proactive around mount auburn/ brattle street with the multimillion dollar homes than they are in my hood.

people talk a lot about how boston is (or was) a racist city because of the busing riots back in the 70s, but i almost never see anything like that in cambridge. most of the crime and disturbance seems to be irish/ italian white townies, and there are loads of wealthy/ established minorities and foreigners. i'd be a little surprised if that cop was at all motivated by racism in shaking gates down.

almost certainly what happened was the cop was being kind of a dick and, like, demanding id and being a tough guy, and gates, being hypersensitive to cop bullshit, escalated the whole thing until he was arrested.

Irish and Italian? I thought we were talking about white people.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

as good as the boston/ cambridge/ watertown cops were in the bombing/ terrorist thing lately, it generally takes something of that magnitude to get them off their asses. we have a lot of perverse incentives that keeps them from really focusing on their actual jobs.

Because our crime rates are low and general satisfaction levels are high, and because they get double-time for playing angry birds at a construction site but nothing for actually walking a beat or ticketing people who double-park on major streets with their hazards on for a half-hour, and because none of the cambridge cops actually live in cambridge, it's really hard to get them to engage.

they are, admittedly, a little more proactive around mount auburn/ brattle street with the multimillion dollar homes than they are in my hood.

people talk a lot about how boston is (or was) a racist city because of the busing riots back in the 70s, but i almost never see anything like that in cambridge. most of the crime and disturbance seems to be irish/ italian white townies, and there are loads of wealthy/ established minorities and foreigners. i'd be a little surprised if that cop was at all motivated by racism in shaking gates down.

almost certainly what happened was the cop was being kind of a dick and, like, demanding id and being a tough guy, and gates, being hypersensitive to cop bullshit, escalated the whole thing until he was arrested.

will if where you live is the hood i don't want to be on this planet anymore

there is only one churrascaria

people there live like animals
    919UOwT.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I'm so bored, i could ride a horse right now.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    UPS

where are you

They deliver everything but the case.

well really, any missing part will fuck me here
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

east cambridge used to be famous for being a shitty neighborhood. even when i moved there it was a little sketchy, and there are still more than a few section-8 families that have passed down their rent-controlled apartments for generations and are kind of a blight.

still, the gentrification of kendall square has done wonders, and east cambridge has reached that tipping point ratio of of pioneers/ hipsters/ young parents to drug dealers/ hobos/ layabouts that the kind of shit that used to pass in broad daylight without comment no longer really happens.

like there is a little wall in front of a portuguese church up on the intersection of medeiros and cambridge st. mean townies used to gather there every fucking day - like 12 of them - and just stand there and glower at anyone walking by. if you looked anywhere in their direction they'd try to start a fight.

this shit had been going on for decades - like, literally generations of shitty townies - fathers, uncles, sons, grandsons - had passed down this tradition of standing in front of "the wall" and being assholes to anyone they didn't know. the cops didn't do anything about it because it was just expected.

anyhow, i've not seen anyone hanging in front of the wall like that for a few years. it seems like gentrification has finally driven them off.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Government is a-okay while kept in check by oversight.

Red light cameras are mostly ok.

Boston cops are mostly good.

_J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    also they usually come around 530 or 600

but maybe the guy will be like JESUS MY BALLAST IS ALL OFF

*weaves dangerously in traffic*

I have to get these boxes out of here immediately!

and then he will come to my house first because my stuff is like half his cargo
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    my house seems like its a nice area but then people get quadruple homicided and I'm like dang
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Man, it is gorgeous outside today. Took my dog for a nice long walk around the town. Now he is nice and exhausted.

if will lives in the hood im pretty sure chu lives in the apocalyptic cyber death ghetto of 2048

i like to refer to philly as "thunderdome"
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Hmm, maybe I should break out a fan for him.

He's panting pretty hard.
    Gooey wrote: »

there is only one churrascaria

people there live like animals

no we have i think at least three within 10 blocks. one of them -the biggest one - is terrible tho.

it's a portuguese neighborhood, so we have hells of portuguese food.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    anyone know where I can find info on different technologies for lighting (as in: lamps) in the bronze age? I mean other than Wikipedia.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Didn't Philadelphia bomb a city block of itself once?
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

TO be serious for a moment, I think you have the right view of things wrt that incident.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    UPS

where are you

So give me some time
    To wipe my behind
    and I'll deliver to you

Well. This TOTP has made me decide to call it a day. THANKS OBAMA MIM.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    UPS

where are you

So give me some time
    To wipe my behind
    and I'll deliver to you

8-5-5-7?! Lazy poetry! No points for you!
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    edited May 2013
    UPS

where are you

So give me some time
    To wipe my behind
    and I'll deliver to you

0fe25138dc905fc7a8471a77c5fb0f9c.jpg
    Irond Will on
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    anyone know where I can find info on different technologies for lighting (as in: lamps) in the bronze age? I mean other than Wikipedia.
    The sun.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

east cambridge used to be famous for being a shitty neighborhood. even when i moved there it was a little sketchy, and there are still more than a few section-8 families that have passed down their rent-controlled apartments for generations and are kind of a blight.

still, the gentrification of kendall square has done wonders, and east cambridge has reached that tipping point ratio of of pioneers/ hipsters/ young parents to drug dealers/ hobos/ layabouts that the kind of shit that used to pass in broad daylight without comment no longer really happens.

like there is a little wall in front of a portuguese church up on the intersection of medeiros and cambridge st. mean townies used to gather there every fucking day - like 12 of them - and just stand there and glower at anyone walking by. if you looked anywhere in their direction they'd try to start a fight.

this shit had been going on for decades - like, literally generations of shitty townies - fathers, uncles, sons, grandsons - had passed down this tradition of standing in front of "the wall" and being assholes to anyone they didn't know. the cops didn't do anything about it because it was just expected.

anyhow, i've not seen anyone hanging in front of the wall like that for a few years. it seems like gentrification has finally driven them off.

huh, interesting. it looked gorgeous to me- the nearby stores, the park with poop bags, people seemingly comfortable out front without any glowering. that's some improvement. i loved your neighborhood.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Hey, Database for Annotation, Visualization, and Integrated Discovery Functional Gene Annotation Tool: When you give me my false discovery rate, please tell me when you are secretly multiplying this number by 100. You know, by putting a fucking % sign after the number.

Because it is awesome when I am thrown into a pit of despair because all of my functional enrichments show up as not statistically significant, and then find out months later that they totally are because you are pulling conventions for stating FDR out of your ass without listing it on the website.
    vspgsp.jpg
    @Echo @TehSloth

I have beaten this Redmine install into submission.

passenger working correctly
    gems updated
    ruby playing nice
    rails installed with no issues
    apache config detritus located and changed to invoke current passenger/ruby versions (holy fuck was this obscure + somebody set up multiple configs for apache whyyyyy)
    TLS auth for gmail configured correctly
    Redmine updated from 0.9.3 to 2.3.1
    database migrated
    file permissions fixed

all old tickets ruthlessly deleted
    companywide announcement made

*sits back, satisfied*
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    So my friend's kidney surgery didn't go so well. When they got up inside it was all inflamed and pretty nasty so they have him in ICU until they can get a specialist in.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I do know that Rome in Imperial days had no streetlights at all. If you were out and about during dark, you best have a lantern or you'd never get home.
    They had olive oil fueled lamps I think, but they were a luxury.
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Winky wrote: »
    Hey, Database for Annotation, Visualization, and Integrated Discovery Functional Gene Annotation Tool: When you give me my false discovery rate, please tell me when you are secretly multiplying this number by 100. You know, by putting a fucking % sign after the number.

Because it is awesome when I am thrown into a pit of despair because all of my functional enrichments show up as not statistically significant, and then find out months later that they totally are because you are pulling conventions for stating FDR out of your ass without listing it on the website.

They were all like Effing DeFunk Roo and you had no idea they were talking about 32
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Essentially, my experimental results are literally 100 times better than I thought.

Like, exactly that number.
    Winky on
    vspgsp.jpg
    muhfuckin 0.9.3 guys.

The entire database schema changed and the config files are all different now. The wiki's section on upgrading from versions older than 1.0 basically read:

"So, everything is different and nothing you configured will work the same. Save all your configs though, because there's stuff in there you might need when you set up new ones. You'll know it if you see it!"

O.O

huh, interesting. it looked gorgeous to me- the nearby stores, the park with poop bags, people seemingly comfortable out front without any glowering. that's some improvement. i loved your neighborhood.

Remember Will is only slightly more rational about anime threads than he is about 'townies'
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    TTODewback wrote: »
    So my friend's kidney surgery didn't go so well. When they got up inside it was all inflamed and pretty nasty so they have him in ICU until they can get a specialist in.

this is shitty news : (
    PantsB wrote: »

Remember Will is only slightly more rational about anime threads than he is about 'townies'

Or '90s music.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    UPS

where are you

So give me some time
    To wipe my behind
    and I'll deliver to you

8-5-5-7?! Lazy poetry! No points for you!

Clearly it should have ended with "and I'll deliver to you-you."

Now I have to flip a table when I get home, as I cannot afford to be banned from yet another Starbucks.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

Or '90s music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lebGWK_3M

You will listen to The Cranberries and you will like it.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

so tempted
    the amazing thing about doing shit like I just did is that I find it mostly relaxing and super satisfying when it's finished, but I'm running away from it as fast as I can in terms of my career. If I'm successful I'll probably never really get a chance to spend two days pummeling a linux app into submission, but I will be paid 3x as much for overseeing the people who get to have all the fun.

it is a strange state of affairs.
    TTODewback wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. Is it only one kidney or both?
    _J_ wrote:

fair enough but seriously we used to have a stabbing once a year outside the portuguese club and there is no excuse for those dicks who used to camp the wall

like, i got my hair cut by a local girl who was somehow related to one of the old east cambridge families and was complaining about how her people used to run that town and how she was really sad and wistful that everyone had now moved out to medford and "the wall" was now sadly vacant and just anyone could walk around without getting thrashed.
This discussion has been closed.