Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• MimMim Registered User regular
    Should I watch Strip Search as an aspiring comic-ist?

Y/N
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    @skippydumptruck

If you don't do this to Sawyer you can kiss our friendship goodbye

erFmkT9.jpg

This really is the best
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever lived in a place where day to day violence was likely. London is about as close to that as it gets and even then, it is so random in most areas you can wander about without much fear.

That being said, I have been chased by bulls, rams, deer, magpies and dogs, so that should give me some street/animal cred.

I have a bad memory for this kinda stuff

a dude threatened to shoot me in DC, and I called the cops and they were like, did you see a gun? and I said no but isn't it illegal for him to tell me he will kill me? and they were like ehhh

a good friend in high school got his face smashed the fuck up (like, steel rods to put it back together) because he drunkenly talked some shit to a random dude while weaving through an apartment complex looking for a girl. the dude came down from a balcony and chased him with friends but I wasn't there

we almost got in a fight in mexico once when we were drunk but we wisely walked away and then the dudes turned and fought someone else and got hauled away by the federales and that was scary as shit

a guy spilled a beer or something on my girlfriend at a club once and she talked all kinds of shit and the guy wanted to fight me, but I didn't want to so he talked shit and fought someone else

that's all I can really think of right now, a bunch of almost run ins

Incorrect statements.
    In Texas you greet people with punches and roundhouse kicks.
    Don't deny your heritage skippy.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @Donkey Kong

Yep, confirmed just now that Comcast is blocking me with a pay wall on their tech support for a service that I pay ~$90 a month for. What I want to do is apparently technically called putting the modem in bridge mode, and no one in their regular tech support can do it -- just people in "Signature Plus" tech support.

Signature Plus just happens to cost $39.99 upfront, and ~$15/mo. :?

Fuck this ISP oligopoly Earth.

What are you trying to do? I've used a laptop as a network bridge before, it might not be bad

Need to forward a very specific port on my modem to get remote access working in AirVideo. AirVideo's tech support says forwarding the port on the modem is the only way to get it to work.

Comcast says no fuck you pay me.
    network_sig2.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    man i don't at all begrudge will his dislike of townies. i spent years in an environment where dickheads 'owned' corners and you had to sort of navigate this shitty ghetto hierarchy. i would love to live in a gentrified, comfortable, friendly place away from all the antagonistic poors.

I was going to say that you have antagonistic richies too but when I think about it, I don't really think you have the low level threat of physical violence in most of the mid or upper $ places I've been

so either that is a perception error on my part

or the more shit you have to lose, the less likely you are to pound a guy's face with a rock because he scuffed your pumas

it is basically the worst

i would put up with all the gossipy soccer moms and pushy HOA committee members and noise-complaint-calling neighbors in the world if it meant i didn't have the threat of getting punched in the face every day

You will never have this

because

I could appear at any time!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I've also got a pretty defined brow with some serious eyebrows. I don't know if that means I should try to cover it a bit with 55s? or let it ride with 52s. This is where brick and mortar stores come in handy I guess
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Y/N

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong

Yep, confirmed just now that Comcast is blocking me with a pay wall on their tech support for a service that I pay ~$90 a month for. What I want to do is apparently technically called putting the modem in bridge mode, and no one in their regular tech support can do it -- just people in "Signature Plus" tech support.

So like, we can totally prop up banks 'cause they're too big to fail on the federal level and make sure "unfair competition" isn't going on at local level businesses but god forbid we invest in something like updating our internet infrastructure and promoting competition amongst different ISP companies so that people can have capable internet and not get f'ed in the a by regional monopolies.

(Sorry for the minor rant. :P )
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong

What are you trying to do? I've used a laptop as a network bridge before, it might not be bad

Need to forward a very specific port on my modem to get remote access working in AirVideo. AirVideo's tech support says forwarding the port on the modem is the only way to get it to work.

And for $65 (one month of their shitty plus gold service) you can buy a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem of your own and do whatever the fuck you want.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

Y/N

You should watch strip search no matter what.

That said I'm quite a few episodes behind.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever lived in a place where day to day violence was likely. London is about as close to that as it gets and even then, it is so random in most areas you can wander about without much fear.

That being said, I have been chased by bulls, rams, deer, magpies and dogs, so that should give me some street/animal cred.

I have a bad memory for this kinda stuff

a dude threatened to shoot me in DC, and I called the cops and they were like, did you see a gun? and I said no but isn't it illegal for him to tell me he will kill me? and they were like ehhh

a good friend in high school got his face smashed the fuck up (like, steel rods to put it back together) because he drunkenly talked some shit to a random dude while weaving through an apartment complex looking for a girl. the dude came down from a balcony and chased him with friends but I wasn't there

we almost got in a fight in mexico once when we were drunk but we wisely walked away and then the dudes turned and fought someone else and got hauled away by the federales and that was scary as shit

a guy spilled a beer or something on my girlfriend at a club once and she talked all kinds of shit and the guy wanted to fight me, but I didn't want to so he talked shit and fought someone else

that's all I can really think of right now, a bunch of almost run ins

I've been pretty lucky so far I think.
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Incorrect statements.

I never felt unsafe in San Diego, I have never felt unsafe in Austin

I occasionally felt unsafe in DC, and occasionally in Arizona
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong

And for $65 (one month of their shitty plus gold service) you can buy a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem of your own and do whatever the fuck you want.

Just do this. Fuck Comcast in the ear.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    man i don't at all begrudge will his dislike of townies. i spent years in an environment where dickheads 'owned' corners and you had to sort of navigate this shitty ghetto hierarchy. i would love to live in a gentrified, comfortable, friendly place away from all the antagonistic poors.

I was going to say that you have antagonistic richies too but when I think about it, I don't really think you have the low level threat of physical violence in most of the mid or upper $ places I've been

or the more shit you have to lose, the less likely you are to pound a guy's face with a rock because he scuffed your pumas

This is true, but this is Cambridge not Camden.

man east cambridge seriously used to be no-joke shitty. in the 90s some hobos captured a girl, tied her to a chair naked and literally tortured her to death. kendall square, which is an upmarket clean tech hub now, was nothing but a series of abandoned warehouses and brownfields even when i moved there 8 years ago.

it was before my time, and it's gotten a whole lot better, but there's still bits of the "old east cambridge" legacy
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i sent an email to a bunch of ppl for a small party or somesuch

someone emailed me back saying can you make a FB invite, i forget things if it's not on FB :| lol
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    Irond Will wrote: »

man east cambridge seriously used to be no-joke shitty. in the 90s some hobos captured a girl, tied her to a chair naked and literally tortured her to death. kendall square, which is an upmarket clean tech hub now, was nothing but a series of abandoned warehouses and brownfields even when i moved there 8 years ago.

it was before my time, and it's gotten a whole lot better, but there's still bits of the "old east cambridge" legacy

What was it like before Talkies, grandpa will?

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever really been in danger of violence, although I've been to some fairly shitty areas.

It is actually a minor concern of mine that living here I won't recognise a dangerous situation until it is too late because I don't find asian (as in south asian) gang types in the least intimidating.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Incorrect statements.

I never felt unsafe in San Diego, I have never felt unsafe in Austin

I occasionally felt unsafe in DC, and occasionally in Arizona

But it's not a proper greeting if a nose isn't broken or teeth aren't shattered.
    It's the wild west. Brokeback mountains and bootstrapping.

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

I don't know the term for someone who wants to write AND draw comics.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    http://press.blackberry.com/press/2013/bbm-for-ios-and-android-to-launch-this-summer-.html

to quote my friend's fb post:
    Finally! I can talk to all of my one friends who have a blackberry without using any of my unlimited texts.
    Problem solved.
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Comics artist covers both.

iirc you and i aren't all that far apart in age

what i meant was that i've only lived there 8 years or so

but life without talkies was bullshit
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular
    TELL HER NO NO NO
    I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.

iirc you and i aren't all that far apart in age

what i meant was that i've only lived there 8 years or so

but life without talkies was bullshit

I claw for every year. By the time I'm 50, I will be calling people a month older than me grandpa
    Cinders wrote: »
    Comics artist covers both.

Does it? Okay, I will go with that then. Thanks Cinders!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Y/N

Y

watch it anyway it's fun.

also are ya?
    xlh6c3.png

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

well make sure you don't mention it in rl

i'm pretty sure that shit can still get you kicked out of the military

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

cartoonist.
    xlh6c3.png
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    i sent an email to a bunch of ppl for a small party or somesuch

someone emailed me back saying can you make a FB invite, i forget things if it's not on FB :| lol

someone is right

i would be weirded out if I got invited to something via email
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @Donkey Kong

Me: "So if I buy my own modem -- like, just go to Best Buy and buy my own cable modem -- will I not have to deal with this bridge mode problem?"
    Comcast Tech Support: "Well actually you'd still have to have bridge mode configured by one of our Help Desk technicians."
    Me: "And I can only do that if I have the Signature Plus tech support?"
    Comcast: "Yes, that's correct."
    *5 seconds of silence*
    Comcast: "Hello? Mr. Sattar?"
    Me: "Okay thank you have a nice day."
    *click*

: |
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

nerd
    vspgsp.jpg
    Oh will. That last one was funny for all the wrong reasons
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    I should become a cartoonist too

a daily strip about the goings-on of chat.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Sorry man. That just sucks.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    I was lucky to get into the artillery in january, because since panser only got recruits in august, that meant that most of them were banned from the one bar up there.

Since artillery and panser just hate each other and that's how it's always been.
    xlh6c3.png

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

Really? (Actually, I'm sure you're joking)

And I'm not in the military anymore! I am now back on the hunt for a stable job while I nurture my dream job.
    @Donkey Kong

Me: "So if I buy my own modem -- like, just go to Best Buy and buy my own cable modem -- will I not have to deal with this bridge mode problem?"
    Comcast Tech Support: "Well actually you'd still have to have bridge mode configured by one of our Help Desk technicians."
    Me: "And I can only do that if I have the Signature Plus tech support?"
    Comcast: "Yes, that's correct."
    *5 seconds of silence*
    Comcast: "Hello? Mr. Sattar?"
    Me: "Okay thank you have a nice day."
    *click*

: |

That's fucking bullshit. They are LYING to you.

Y/N

an aspiring whatnow?

mim already got kicked out because she was too lesbian.
    xlh6c3.png
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    I think the natir podcast app on iphone is wonderful but it has some annoying bugs. It continues to play after you end a call even if you disconnected your headphones, which is a bit bothering out in public spaces. And I am listening through giantbomb's podcast in random order and the app sometimes freezes and marks every episode as if I haven't listened to it. So I have no idea which ones I've already heard.
This discussion has been closed.