Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    granted i only used it for about an hour last night but it does not feel hard to totally disregard the tiles. just hit the winkey and search for any control panel stuff, and windows explorer is still the same. i am at a loss trying to figure out something i could do in win7 that i couldn't figure out how to do in win8 in a second or two.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    What does DynDNS.org do and why does my router have a specific settings page just for it?

It's a website that runs a service where you get a free domain name that always points to your home's IP address. So for example, if you opened a DynDNS account and registered hamurabilongsforplentyofdongs.selfip.net, then punched that into your router, you could run game servers or file shares and stuff and access them form anywhere just using that address instead of needing to know your ever-changing IP.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    hahah spool your drafts betray you!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    So, today's Giro d'Italia stage was pretty brutal. Two Colombian riders in particular (Rigoberto Uran and Sergio Henao) went for it on the most severe climb of the day, and dragged most of their team and a few other riders with them.

The guy liveblogging it for Cyclingnews referred to those riders hanging in their wheels as "getting on the Colombian express" before it was gently pointed out to him that he may want to rethink that metaphor.
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    I seem to have killed my phone

s4 doesn't come out til the 23rd I'm reading

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    What does DynDNS.org do and why does my router have a specific settings page just for it?

It's a website that runs a service where you get a free domain name that always points to your home's IP address. So for example, if you opened a DynDNS account and registered hamurabilongsforplentyofdongs.selfip.net, then punched that into your router, you could run game servers or file shares and stuff and access them form anywhere just using that address instead of needing to know your ever-changing IP.

That's cool. I'm going to have to look into that.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Managed to tear the elbow out on my button down today. Problematic.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    This is in the downtown area of my city.

It makes me smile every time I drive by it.

wIHN7c3.png
    Lh96QHG.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Why does dolan say gooby pls?

WhitePrivilege_small.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Windows 8 has no F8 menu, and if you're messing with overclocking settings trying to get the good ones Windows will assume something is wrong and helpfully spend a half hour running automated diagnostic things
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I played around with Windows 8 yesterday. You can go back to the traditional desktop pretty quickly and it's not so horrible.

But I don't really understand what the purpose of the touch capable, mobile windows display of teh start menu is on a desktop.

Just seems like a waste of time.

logitech makes a multitouch trackpad.

Lots of people are selling touch-enabled monitors.

I heard a neat rumor that you'll be able to plug your Surface into your desktop and use it as a navigation tool.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    (I wanted both to be near 1985-1986, for theory reasons)

Them being at those points correlate with opposition wins in elections, that goes with those quandaries.

not US data, dude

I am copying the approach from a paper that did US data, though, and he landed straight on 1978 with a good p-value. that is, right on Volcker.

Yea, I got that by the second part, but it's still a part of the complicated global politics that play into your equation. And there were major opposition wins in that period globally. Thinking Singapores monetary policy would be a stalwart against global trends is rather o_O
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    can you make the default mail tile work with non-microsoft addresses?

Just in case you were wondering on how to do so:

Open the mail app, press win+c, click on accounts, add account, and go from there.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant

Would this solve my AirVideo problem, do you think? Comcast actively seems to not give a shit.
    network_sig2.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    :whistle: I hate the day, it hates me, so does everybody

else :whistle:
    xlh6c3.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I played around with Windows 8 yesterday. You can go back to the traditional desktop pretty quickly and it's not so horrible.

But I don't really understand what the purpose of the touch capable, mobile windows display of teh start menu is on a desktop.

Just seems like a waste of time.

logitech makes a multitouch trackpad.

Lots of people are selling touch-enabled monitors.

I heard a neat rumor that you'll be able to plug your Surface into your desktop and use it as a navigation tool.

Which is cool for people who get into that kind of thing.

But I really just use my computer for word processing and fucking around with you fine people.

But it's cool. I didn't hate windows 8 as much as I thought I might based on reviews and youtube videos. And I didn't get as angry as Applemacs make me.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Whoo, my friend's daughter just hit a homer in the NAIA semifinal match.
    We're up 3-0 whooooochaaaa
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Why does dolan say gooby pls?

WhitePrivilege_small.jpg

Counter-question: is SpaceKungFuMan still banned from chat? :)

Would this solve my AirVideo problem, do you think? Comcast actively seems to not give a shit.

I told you about Comcast. That's up to you to fix. Either you need to know how to port forward through both routers or use just one.

It would not help your air video problem but it would make air video radder once it is working. I use dyndns for my air video server.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    hmm I am reading a lot of these complaints and they seem like things I do not care about

I do not want to run DVDs on my computer so I don't care about that

and it seems like it has a lot of default programs that launch things like music and whatever, but if you don't like what it launches you can always make it launch something else when you click an mp3 just like always
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    So today was equal parts terrible and good

I got told I'm not meeting expectations for being a third year about to be nurse, and now I've gotta keep a diary proving I'm doing, y'know, good stuff so that come final interview time me and m'boss lady have a record of me indeed being awesome. On top of that book I've gotta already do for that reason.

I find it kinda novel that the strategy to help me cope with the crazy workload is to give me more stuff to do

On the other hand I was a supreme badass today, I think it was all "wait fuck you I am too awesome yo" and now I just need to do that...8 more times.
    camo_sig2.png
    Scratch that. It's 5-0.
    Even better.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular

I got told I'm not meeting expectations for being a third year about to be nurse, and now I've gotta keep a diary proving I'm doing, y'know, good stuff so that come final interview time me and m'boss lady have a record of me indeed being awesome. On top of that book I've gotta already do for that reason.

I find it kinda novel that the strategy to help me cope with the crazy workload is to give me more stuff to do

On the other hand I was a supreme badass today, I think it was all "wait fuck you I am too awesome yo" and now I just need to do that...8 more times.

work is much more annoying once you realize the work you don't document didn't actually happen, regardless of actuality
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Keeping a record of things you are awesome at is good practice generally, in any job. In a lot of environments it's easy for competent people not to get noticed because they're getting shit done without drama.

Plus, come performance appraisal time it means you have stuff to talk about.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

wIHN7c3.png

HAHA.

Ford.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    japan wrote: »

Keeping a record of things you are awesome at is good practice generally, in any job. In a lot of environments it's easy for competent people not to get noticed because they're getting shit done without drama.

I actually remember going into a performance review, being told I'm a role model employee and then being given a Needs Improvement and being told that I'm not good enough to be supervisor material yet. I couldn't fire back because I couldn't think of any particular thing I had done at the time to refute why I needed improvement until after the actual review. :P

EDIT: On that Florida thing, talk about a devious way to generate ticket revenue.
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City

wIHN7c3.png

HAHA.

Ford.

AMFE did you blur out that guy's one headlight to protect his identity, because everyone in your town knows who the one guy with both headlights is?
    network_sig2.png
    Also since we have a bunch of Apple fanboys here can any of you PM me a guide to jail breaking.
    It's not something I have experience with.

wIHN7c3.png

HAHA.

Ford.

AMFE did you blur out that guy's one headlight to protect his identity, because everyone in your town knows who the one guy with both headlights is?

it's off google streetview

he knows things
    Lh96QHG.png
    japan wrote: »

Yea, one of my girlfriends most complimentary traits for me is her propensity to take notes, and document phone calls and such. I always just try to do stuff online, but people get caught doing stupid things over the phone/in person a lot more since they aren't as worried of it being documented... Being a chronic note taker just basically makes you win in any "their word against mine" sorta arguments.
  • TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User regular
    I think this is a good clip even though I don't watch his show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYG7GR13DnU&feature=youtu.be
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Also since we have a bunch of Apple fanboys here can any of you PM me a guide to jail breaking.

It's heavily dependent on the particular iPhone you have and the OS version it's running. It's also a pain in the ass and totally not worth it most of the time.
    dkmouthsig.png
    Gooey wrote: »

I'm so glad most of the cities around here are finally getting rid of these, as they realized they caused more real harm than revenues they increased; especially so since the tickets you got could just be ignored and weren't enforceable.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Spoooo drinks
    A little sunbird ny
    It's 4PM
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Windows 8 has no F8 menu, and if you're messing with overclocking settings trying to get the good ones Windows will assume something is wrong and helpfully spend a half hour running automated diagnostic things

technically this is true there is no "F8" menu

because you have to hold SHIFT+F8 to get to the recovery console
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Spoooo drinks
    A little sunbird ny
    It's 4PM

Inspiring poetry
    TTODewback wrote: »

It's heavily dependent on the particular iPhone you have and the OS version it's running. It's also a pain in the ass and totally not worth it most of the time.

I'm just doing it for the tethering and am using a 16gb 4s with the latest update on Verizon.
    Just so I can have something until I get budgetted for getting them cables internet.
This discussion has been closed.