Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i've never in my life met a fat person who hasn't tried on some level to lose weight. maybe some only give it a casual effort, but they almost all try and a great many of them try very hard and do a lot of research and work hard and just can't manage to keep up the effort.

it is really strange to me to have no sympathy for them just because they failed at something that 'can' be done. lots of things are doable. lots are also really hard and incredibly distressing.

plus if you suffer from depression just fucking forget about it

there's no way you can keep the motivation going
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Good morrow. How's stuff and other things?
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy to have finally got my arse in gear and get myself set up at a gym. It's always been the best way to get rid of the sads.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Tiiiiiiired
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    i've never in my life met a fat person who hasn't tried on some level to lose weight. maybe some only give it a casual effort, but they almost all try and a great many of them try very hard and do a lot of research and work hard and just can't manage to keep up the effort.

it is really strange to me to have no sympathy for them just because they failed at something that 'can' be done. lots of things are doable. lots are also really hard and incredibly distressing.

Why do I have to have the kind of depression where I binge eat a lot and not the sexy kind of depression where you starve?
    hrm, my BMI is 24.1

that's good?
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular

Unless you have issues with eating disorders. I tend to loose weight when I'm depressed.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I dropped down to 58kg before I ate a large-ish early lunch just now

Ronya

if we ever meet i am going to feed you

i'mma frog march you to a steakhouse and we're not leaving until you are a reasonable sized person

nice

I like steak, but I never find the will to go out and acquire it
    Couscous wrote: »

Why do I have to have the kind of depression where I binge eat a lot and not the sexy kind of depression where you starve?

i have the boring kind of depression where i have no feelings or motivation to do anything and my life goes down the toilet while i sit there not caring very much
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i don't think most models are too thin. i mean, maybe high couture parisian runway models with severe makeup, wearing pelicans made of pvc piping are too thin. but plenty of models are just tall, slender women without their ribs showing. plenty of room for slender ladies and curvy ladies and all.

i think when it comes to dangerously, obviously unhealthy thin women you end up with more emotionally victimized teenaged girls who are aspiring to be models than actual models.
    Yeah i think this is a problem with the fashion industry.

Personally I find that there's a culture of fat acceptance that's far more widespread and dangerous. There are far more dangerously overweight people than there are dangerously underweight people. Not that the fashion industry is promoting it, but a lot of people seem to have the idea of "oh well, it's not their fault they're fat!" when really, in 99% of cases, it is. I'm saying this as a pretty big dude. Losing weight isn't particularly hard, all it takes is a bit of knowledge and dedication.

i disagree that it isn't particularly hard- for some people it's a lifelong battle that is harder than getting their college degree or maintaining their marriage or whatever. it can be everything for some people, and it's dreadful.

but i agree that i don't really like some of the attitudes of the fat acceptance community. i'm all for promoting a positive body image but i don't like the obfuscation of certain things just because people are fragile and can have their feelings hurt. so yeah, tell society that it's fucked up to tear down people for their body. but don't then say 'besides, it's not like you can do anything about it'. that ain't cool.

i don't think there's anything wrong with saying 'look how you want to look, and don't let others objectify you and define your self-worth. but if you're interested, it's generally accepted that a healthy weight range for people of your height and age is so and so.'

Yeah, not particularly hard probably wasn't the right term. It is a difficult thing to do, but there are a lot of resources available to do it. It's not this big mystery like a lot of people claim it is.

it's as hard as doing anything that requires consistent, long term appliction of motivation, effort and perseverance

which as it turns out, is pretty fucking hard for 90% of people

I'd say it's harder to get motivated for but easier to do, really

if you stopped going to work, that's be pretty hard to ignore because you stop having money
    if you stop caring about exercising and eating, so what? Buy a bigger pair of pants

Work is what? 8 hours of your day? You can do a damn good workout in an hour.

my original point really should have said losing weight isn't complicated. Eat less, eat healthier and exercise more!

everything is easy on paper

how to become a millionaire

>go to business school and learn investment backing
    >go to NYC stock exchange
    >buy and sell shit
    >PROFT!

Yeah, this is the type of thing I'm talking about! Saying "gosh, everything is hard! I guess maybe it's not their fault that they're fat" is the kind of thinking that has lead to record highs in obesity.

You can become significantly healthier by taking an hour out of your day do go do something good for your body. It is a slow process and it takes more dedication than sitting around playing video games or dicking about on the internet every night, but it's certainly a manageable thing (especially moreso than say, college or work where there's deadlines and such)

like I said, people who are dangerously overweight didn't become so overnight and certainly shouldn't expect instant results either
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

oh yeah if there's anything that helps the lethargy of depression it's hardly eating anything and only eating shit.
    xlh6c3.png
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

I had the starve depression.

People get a lot more alarmed at that than gaining weight.

Got asked if I was doing heroin. :S

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Signed up to give blood.
    xlh6c3.png
    I dropped down to 58kg before I ate a large-ish early lunch just now

Ronya

if we ever meet i am going to feed you

i'mma frog march you to a steakhouse and we're not leaving until you are a reasonable sized person

nice

I like steak, but I never find the will to go out and acquire it

i will carry you if i must
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    going to the gym helped my depression

who woulda thought that doing something that releases endorphins would help make you feel better

i certainly didn't before i tried it
    i don't think most models are too thin. i mean, maybe high couture parisian runway models with severe makeup, wearing pelicans made of pvc piping are too thin. but plenty of models are just tall, slender women without their ribs showing. plenty of room for slender ladies and curvy ladies and all.

i think when it comes to dangerously, obviously unhealthy thin women you end up with more emotionally victimized teenaged girls who are aspiring to be models than actual models.
    Yeah i think this is a problem with the fashion industry.

Personally I find that there's a culture of fat acceptance that's far more widespread and dangerous. There are far more dangerously overweight people than there are dangerously underweight people. Not that the fashion industry is promoting it, but a lot of people seem to have the idea of "oh well, it's not their fault they're fat!" when really, in 99% of cases, it is. I'm saying this as a pretty big dude. Losing weight isn't particularly hard, all it takes is a bit of knowledge and dedication.

i disagree that it isn't particularly hard- for some people it's a lifelong battle that is harder than getting their college degree or maintaining their marriage or whatever. it can be everything for some people, and it's dreadful.

but i agree that i don't really like some of the attitudes of the fat acceptance community. i'm all for promoting a positive body image but i don't like the obfuscation of certain things just because people are fragile and can have their feelings hurt. so yeah, tell society that it's fucked up to tear down people for their body. but don't then say 'besides, it's not like you can do anything about it'. that ain't cool.

i don't think there's anything wrong with saying 'look how you want to look, and don't let others objectify you and define your self-worth. but if you're interested, it's generally accepted that a healthy weight range for people of your height and age is so and so.'

Yeah, not particularly hard probably wasn't the right term. It is a difficult thing to do, but there are a lot of resources available to do it. It's not this big mystery like a lot of people claim it is.

it's as hard as doing anything that requires consistent, long term appliction of motivation, effort and perseverance

which as it turns out, is pretty fucking hard for 90% of people

I'd say it's harder to get motivated for but easier to do, really

if you stopped going to work, that's be pretty hard to ignore because you stop having money
    if you stop caring about exercising and eating, so what? Buy a bigger pair of pants

Work is what? 8 hours of your day? You can do a damn good workout in an hour.

my original point really should have said losing weight isn't complicated. Eat less, eat healthier and exercise more!

everything is easy on paper

how to become a millionaire

>go to business school and learn investment backing
    >go to NYC stock exchange
    >buy and sell shit
    >PROFT!

Yeah, this is the type of thing I'm talking about! Saying "gosh, everything is hard! I guess maybe it's not their fault that they're fat" is the kind of thinking that has lead to record highs in obesity.

You can become significantly healthier by taking an hour out of your day do go do something good for your body. It is a slow process and it takes more dedication than sitting around playing video games or dicking about on the internet every night, but it's certainly a manageable thing (especially moreso than say, college or work where there's deadlines and such)

like I said, people who are dangerously overweight didn't become so overnight and certainly shouldn't expect instant results either

to be clear im not saying it's impossible and throwing my hands up

i'm saying you're grossly over simplifying it because you have your anecdotal experience and you're applying it universally

the reality falls between "impossible" and "piece of piss"

it'll also vary from person to person some people find applying themselves to this sort of long term effort natural, for others it'll be the hardest thing in the world
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Signed up to give blood.

give an extra couple of pints for those of us who are too scared of needles
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    I don't think anyone was genuine about being annoyed about Angelina Jolie's mastectomy?
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone was genuine about being annoyed about Angelina Jolie's mastectomy?
    Everything has been incredibly positive about in the media.
    exercising always makes me feel better.

But y'know, like everything that makes you feel better it's hard to actually go and do it

but I'm going swimming with mates and a "hey you wanna go swimming?" is all the push I need to go do it.

Gonna try to keep up the momentum and start exercising more.
    xlh6c3.png
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Everything has been incredibly positive about in the media.

yeah, i have no doubt you'll find that straw man out there if you lurk in the depths of reddit for long enough but the closest i've seen to that is "what a shame, she had nice boobs, ..... but i understand her actions completly in light of her absurdly high risk of cancer"
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Some guy yesterday in the thread couldn't wrap their heads around reducing your cancer risk from 90% to 5%. That's about it.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    There's cute girl in a beanie here but she looks about 12. Too weird.
    evilbob wrote: »
    There's cute girl in a beanie here but she looks about 12. Too weird.

something something chrishansendotjpg
    Should probably explain that more. I describe everyone looks noticeably younger than me as looking like they're 12.
    She looks somewhere between about 16 and 19 is hard to tell.
    too late

you're on "the list"
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

I was genuine when I said I raised a glass to the loss of her boobs.
    xlh6c3.png
    I am glad Tig Notaro has come out as such a shining beacon of positivity in light of the last two years of her life. She's an incredibly inspirational human being.
    Signed up to give blood.

No!
    xlh6c3.png
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    @redx sexy beast was triffic
    too late

you're on "the list"

NOOOOOOO!

Don't group me with the amine nerds.

she ain't lost nothing

she's got a set of the best implants money can buy

as others have pointed out at 37, time was not on her side in any case
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    @elldren do you ever sleep?

That's not annoyance
    evilbob wrote: »
    too late

you're on "the list"

NOOOOOOO!

Don't group me with the amine nerds.

may you burn with them
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

I try

sometimes

It rarely works out
    Signed up to give blood.

No!

now you're just being selfish
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Elldren wrote: »

I try

sometimes

It rarely works out

are you currently av facing?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
This discussion has been closed.