Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    one day when i have my own place and a decent chunk of disposable cash i will import a Japanese toilet

no one will be permitted to use it but me

Will you install a rectinal scan to keep out intruders?

yes.
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    dont worry special k

the bass is absolutely my fault

8]
    Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Crohns team woo. Sob

I am lucky to only have started severe issues in early 20s, as I think being an adult made it easier to deal with. Would have really messed me up if I had the same symptoms ten years earlier.

My number 1 regret with Crohns is not having taken more medication when I was younger. I got by without much medication, but the damage done could have been mitigated a lot.

Oh, and not using a washlet. That's what we call them in Japan. Like a bidet built into the toilet, but for your bum. They are absolutely essential for anyone with bowel disease.

ahhhhh Japanese toilet technology

one of the areas in which i really envy your part of the world Posh

My loo is amazing. It has a heated toilet seat, with timer and thermostat etc. Washlet/bidet etc, with various settings (including water temp). Automatic flush, self-cleaning (some parts). Amazing.

My bath is good too. You just put the plug in and set the temperature, then it fills with water of the desired temp, maintains that temp automatically, and plays a jingle over the intercom in the living room. It even gives a voice message 5 minutes before it's ready so you can get ready. Oh, and since Japanese people shower before bathing, and feel ok sharing bathwater because the water stays clean, there is a button to reheat the bath to a desired temp.

Oh, and my shower has instant heat, i.e. no boiler, and is so powerful that if you turn it to max it lifts off into the air. Today I was using it to clean the bathroom, and it was powerful enough that I didn't have to hold it - It pushes back with enough force to beat gravity, and you just have to hold it down.

Oh, and it's a wet room of course. Big enough to hold 2 or 3 people. I'm not a savage.

I fucking love my bathroom. Oh, and the LAN built into the walls of my house, with ports in each room. And the fridge that tells me off if I leave the door open too long.
    poshniallo on
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
    ronya wrote: »
    down in southeast asia it is decently common to construct home toilets and kitchens with floor drains, so you can pour water all over the floor. I guess?

in any case, the effect is that many toilets come with a variable-pressure hose that you can use for the same effect as the washlet. But also to clean the place.

One example here, hanging at the back:

630yahoo-toilet-png_150738.png

that's quite nifty, i like that

it would make cleaning the bathroom ten times quicker and easier
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Crohns team woo. Sob

I am lucky to only have started severe issues in early 20s, as I think being an adult made it easier to deal with. Would have really messed me up if I had the same symptoms ten years earlier.

My number 1 regret with Crohns is not having taken more medication when I was younger. I got by without much medication, but the damage done could have been mitigated a lot.

Oh, and not using a washlet. That's what we call them in Japan. Like a bidet built into the toilet, but for your bum. They are absolutely essential for anyone with bowel disease.

My loo is amazing. It has a heated toilet seat, with timer and thermostat etc. Washlet/bidet etc, with various settings (including water temp). Automatic flush, self-cleaning (some parts). Amazing.

My bath is good too. You just put the plug in and set the temperature, then it fills with water of the desired temp, maintains that temp automatically, and plays a jingle over the intercom in the living room. It even gives a voice message 5 minutes before it's ready so you can get ready. Oh, and since Japanese people shower before bathing, and feel ok sharing bathwater because the water stays clean, there is a button to reheat the bath to a desired temp.

Oh, and my shower has instant heat, i.e. no boiler, and is so powerful that if you turn it to max it lifts off into the air. Today I was using it to clean the bathroom, and it was powerful enough that I didn't have to hold it - It pushes back with enough force to beat gravity, and you just have to hold it down.

I fucking love my bathroom. Oh, and the LAN built into the walls of my house, with ports in each room. And the fridge that tells me off if I leave the door open too long.

can... can i come to your house and just spend a week in your bathroom?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    down in southeast asia it is decently common to construct home toilets and kitchens with floor drains, so you can pour water all over the floor. I guess?

in any case, the effect is that many toilets come with a variable-pressure hose that you can use for the same effect as the washlet. But also to clean the place.

I agree

it annoys me that water-proofing the whole bathroom floor is not a thing that is done in the UK
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    our bathroom floor is made of unfurnished wooden planks

i'm not quite sure who's idea what was
    Crohns team woo. Sob

Yes, you can not.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

I agree

it annoys me that water-proofing the whole bathroom floor is not a thing that is done in the UK

water-proofing or no, water on tiles = only a matter of time before the whole thing is wrecked by water damage

or so the rule of thumb I've been told to use is anyway.
    xlh6c3.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    dont worry special k

the bass is absolutely my fault

8]

Finally SOMEONE willing to accept some responsibility

Geth, jail Gooey and take the fiyah let it bun dem
    G2Dcf.jpg
    edited May 2013

I agree

and bidets have gone extinct too, last time i saw one was in a house my grandparents used to own more than ten years ago

the western world has forgotten the simple joy of shooting warm water up our rectums

my dad is building a house though and he is having what is called a "wetroom" in it, which is just a fully tiled room with a shower/sink/toilet and a drain in the centre of the floor, so i think it's something that is slowly coming here
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Crohns team woo. Sob

Yes, you can not.

:(
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I have a bidet in my house but I have NEVER used it, too scared

I did walk in on someone washing their hair in it though
    G2Dcf.jpg
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I agree

water-proofing or no, water on tiles = only a matter of time before the whole thing is wrecked by water damage

I'm not sure how the civil engineering rules are, but yeah I've noticed that UK bathrooms suffer from even mild persistent humidity whereas tropical ones seem to shrug it off. I have no clue why.

It is typical for a low-budget bathroom there to be constructed so that the entire space is used as a shower floor, so it's got to be doable somehow:
    IMG_1774.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My parents' house has a bidet!
    Jk don't let the fiyah bun gooey pls
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    is it raining where you are, kalky

On and off. Not right now
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    the propensity towards exposed piping - and the fact that burying the piping is very expensive, as I was told by a renovation contractor - suggests to me that they deal with water issues by making the entire tiled surface rather less porous than is accepted in the West
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I have a bidet in my house but I have NEVER used it, too scared

I did walk in on someone washing their hair in it though

are you kidding me?

i would never leave the bathroom if i had one of those bad boys
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    my bunghole would be so fragrant
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    the propensity towards exposed piping - and the fact that burying the piping is very expensive, as I was told by a renovation contractor - suggests to me that they deal with water issues by making the entire tiled surface rather less porous than is accepted in the West

There's other stuff under the tiles. I think my bathroom is, behind the tiles, actually a plastic box.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    G'morning [Chat]
    Here's a sexy picture of me in bed this morning
    (LINKED FOR NSFW)
    http://i.imgur.com/43KDins.png

Edit: NSFW because you won't be able to hide your erection
    TTODewback on

I agree

I'm not sure how the civil engineering rules are, but yeah I've noticed that UK bathrooms suffer from even mild persistent humidity whereas tropical ones seem to shrug it off. I have no clue why.

It is typical for a low-budget bathroom there to be constructed so that the entire space is used as a shower floor, so it's got to be doable somehow:
    IMG_1774.jpg

plenty of places like that, or places with a built in shower area tend to be like that.

The problem is that tiles do not remain waterproof. And then you might get lucky and wahey water damage.

So generally when I was looking for places on my father's behalf this spring, standalone shower cabinet = big plus
    xlh6c3.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Crohns team woo. Sob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washlet

Washlets look interesting!

I have been taking aziathioprine daily since clear diagnosis a decade ago, which seems to have helped. Surgery helped too, and it was lucky it was quite a small amount of stomach removed, an inch or so maybe
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I really like this David Foster Wallace graduation speech thing @Hamurabi posted.

I tried to read his books and couldn't get into them. But this is just a great speech.

I am going to delve back into his books.

I like his essays and nonfiction a lot.

I've only obliquely heard references to some of his ideas. @Cinders was the one who linked the video, to be clear, and I'm very glad he did.

The other DFW idea I remember liking is our modern preference for overuse of irony, and seeming distaste for sincerity. Like sincerity or earnestness is viewed with suspicion or derision, and is often met with suspicion, derision, and accusations of naivete (especially in more elite, learned circles).
    network_sig2.png
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Bet the last of my money on a horse that won at 2:1. ♥♥♥
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Today's Whomp is funny and terrifying like RMS.
    edited May 2013

I agree

IMG_1774.jpg

plenty of places like that, or places with a built in shower area tend to be like that.

The problem is that tiles do not remain waterproof. And then you might get lucky and wahey water damage.

So generally when I was looking for places on my father's behalf this spring, standalone shower cabinet = big plus

I don't think the tiles are built to block water; I think they're attached to something that is waterproofed. Given that this is done on a massive scale even in low-cost mass construction, as the cheap option, it has to be something easy to do.
    ronya on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

I agree

IMG_1774.jpg

I don't think the tiles are built to block water; I think they're attached to something that is waterproofed. Given that this is done on a massive scale even in low-cost mass construction, as the cheap option, it has to be something easy to do.

yeah, there's a trick to it. But like, you don't know what's under the bathroom before you buy it and rip it up.

One apartment I looked at had another guy down the hall who was going to sell as well, and he had a guy in there redoing everything about the bathroom, since it had indeed not been done right.

Which explained the funky smell in the bathroom of the first apartment. So I told my dad to pass on that one.
    xlh6c3.png
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100

It actually worked this time! HAIL JACOB!
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    anno online is kinda fun.

anno 2070?

jesus last time i took that online the game lasted13 hours

and none of us managed to build the final structures

no, anno online.

???
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Today's Whomp is funny and terrifying like RMS.

It was meant to be a complement about size, but it got horribly out of control.
    Elldren wrote: »
    anno online is kinda fun.

anno 2070?

jesus last time i took that online the game lasted13 hours

and none of us managed to build the final structures

no, anno online.

???

http://en.anno-online.com/en/play