Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I think it's a little strange that nothing seems to be anyone's fault anymore

that's because quite often it isn't?

it's a fact some people (successful people mostly) refuse to accept that so much of our lives come down to things utterly outside our control, like sure you may be born smart, but if you're also born depressed that there is a massive obsticle to overcome in utilising an attribute that by all accounts should make you successful in life

life was simpler back when we could say that guy is just an asshole/crazy/retard/whatever but the more we learn about ourselves the more we see free will and self determination is just one small factor among may that determine the outcome of your life
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Free will is a load of shit.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

DARKSEID IS
    edited May 2013
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm not irritated by fat people, I just think that weight loss is sold as this big impossible thing when it really isn't.

I am irritated by "these models are too damn skinny and setting a bad example how dare the fashion industry do this... oh these obese people are perfectly fine, it's probably their genes"

like I said a few pages back, the average model is too skinny and the average person is too fat. We should be aiming to meet in the middle here

you're projecting a hell of a lot of your own feelings about the topic on to other peoples posts if that's genuinely what you were getting from that discussion earlier

e: i agree with the last part of this post though
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Fault and sympathy have very little to do with each other.

You should have sympathy for people with problems. You definitely should have sympathy for people with problems you've suffered from in the past. All you're really doing when you hate on them is hate on your old self. And that's no good for anyone.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    good morning, [chat]
    meat.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Signed up to give blood.

give an extra couple of pints for those of us who are too scared of needles

No!

now you're just being selfish

no, you're being a scaredy cat!

I can't due to my crohn's. :(

you get a pass.
    xlh6c3.png
  • TavTav Registered User regular

it's a fact some people (successful people mostly) refuse to accept that so much of our lives come down to things utterly outside our control, like sure you may be born smart, but if you're also born depressed that there is a massive obsticle to overcome in utilising an attribute that by all accounts should make you successful in life

life was simpler back when we could says that guy is just an asshole/crazy/retard/whatever but the more we learn about ourselves the more we see free will and self determination is just one small factor among may that determine the outcome of your life

quite often it really is and people will use X factor in their life as an excuse for not doing Y
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Oh man

This Cat and Chocolate variant set in high school has some amazing event cards

"You are outed as an otaku"

"You are tone deaf at karaoke"

"You're confessed to by someone of the same gender"
    turtlesig.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Massive generalisations seem to be in rude health, though.

I'm not referring specifically to this conversation

There just seems to be a growing movement towards never blaming a person for anything

if they're a murderer, there's something wrong with their brain that they'd even consider doing it. If they are an asshole, same thing. There's an assumption that everyone's default state is good person you should like and any deviation from that is no fault of the individual
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Are you that hyper-religious guy I worked with a couple years ago?
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Signed up to give blood.

give an extra couple of pints for those of us who are too scared of needles

No!

now you're just being selfish

no, you're being a scaredy cat!

I can't due to my crohn's. :(

you get a pass.

Something something gastric bypass
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Chu ain't u on sum ok healthcare or did that stop

it stopped, i am trying to get it back now
    edited May 2013

life was simpler back when we could says that guy is just an asshole/crazy/retard/whatever but the more we learn about ourselves the more we see free will and self determination is just one small factor among may that determine the outcome of your life

quite often it really is and people will use X factor in their life as an excuse for not doing Y

perhaps

sometimes

but mostly people touting the mantra of personal responsibility above all else are out of touch, privileged and utterly unable to comprehend the problems they have opinions on

that's why i have very little time for the attitude as a whole, held as it is mostly by people who don't understand because they don't want to understand

not everything in life is as simple as "you will succeed if you try hard enough" that's bullshit we feed to pre-teens to prevent them from getting disillusioned with the state of the world and the simple fact the universe is not fair or equal
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    poshniallo wrote: »

You should have sympathy for people with problems. You definitely should have sympathy for people with problems you've suffered from in the past. All you're really doing when you hate on them is hate on your old self. And that's no good for anyone.

I'm not hating on anyone.
    I'm saying it's hard to me to feel bad about someone who complains about something while not taking any of the necessary steps to fix the thing they complaining about. If you're trying, fair fucks.

Jesus, the way you're talking is as if I insist fat people shouldn't make eye contact with me or something.

For reference, I'm still a really big guy and still in the progress of losing weight. I won't be happy with my body till I lose another 100lbs, but I'm working at it slowly and steadily!
    anno online is kinda fun.
    xlh6c3.png
    not everything in life is as simple as "you will succeed if you try hard enough" that's bullshit we feed to pre-teens to prevent them from getting disillusioned with the state of the world and the simple fact the universe is not fair or equal

except, ya know, I'm not applying that to everything

I'm talking about weight, which is relatively controllable (I say relatively because it's never going to be an exact, down to the pound thing)

anno 2070?

jesus last time i took that online the game lasted13 hours

and none of us managed to build the final structures
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

I'm talking about weight, which is relatively controllable (I say relatively because it's never going to be an exact, down to the pound thing)

And I wasn't even talking about weight, let alone like bootstrapping out of poverty
    y2jake215 on
    G2Dcf.jpg

anno 2070?

jesus last time i took that online the game lasted13 hours

and none of us managed to build the final structures

no, anno online.
    xlh6c3.png
    45 minutes left in work ugggggh
    I don't know if my beetus disqualifies me from donating blood. There is a blood drive at work in a few weeks, I'll find out then.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    45 minutes left in work ugggggh

Abolish the time system.

I'm not hating on anyone.
    I'm saying it's hard to me to feel bad about someone who complains about something while not taking any of the necessary steps to fix the thing they complaining about. If you're trying, fair fucks.

Jesus, the way you're talking is as if I insist fat people shouldn't make eye contact with me or something.

For reference, I'm still a really big guy and still in the progress of losing weight. I won't be happy with my body till I lose another 100lbs, but I'm working at it slowly and steadily!

This is the post I saw. Looked pretty cold to me.
    I guess after losing weight, I don't really have sympathy for fat people

before I thought it was this really hard, complicated thing that would have me be the source of ridicule

but really it is manageable, especially now with the whole host of information that the internet provides wouldn't of been readily available 10-15 years ago!

people get frustrated when they don't get immediate results, but they certainly didn't become obese overnight
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It isn't the machine's fault when it is broken.

Though, in this analogy, the machine is always broken to some degree.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Crohns team woo. Sob

I am lucky to only have started severe issues in early 20s, as I think being an adult made it easier to deal with. Would have really messed me up if I had the same symptoms ten years earlier.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I got disqualified for blood donation before I think... maybe it was for low body weight? Low sugars? Something?

I might go back and try again at some point.
    is it raining where you are, kalky

And I wasn't even talking about weight, let alone like bootstrapping out of poverty

Neither was I, that's just one of many aspects of life in which the myth of complete and total personal responsibility comes into play.

It's kind of like, ok hypothetical skinny guy who used to be 300 lbs, weight loss worked for you, and that's fantastic! I'm happy for you, but your personal experience does not apply to everyone. Everyone is not you in the specific time and space you occupy that allowed the chain of events that led to your success to occur. Not everyone has your upbringing, your personality, your life experience, your resources, your brain chemistry or the million and one other factors that contributed to your success. It will be harder for some people than it was for you, it will be easier for some people than it was for you.

"I did it so you can too!" is not an unbreakable law of physics, it isn't a universal constant. It's not the speed of light. It's bullshit. It's a self-masturbatory fantasy people engage in to elevate themselves above others.
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    ... the principles of clan society demand vengeance. A well-placed act of vengeance generally renews intergroup peace... because when retribution is proportional to the original offense, it reestablishes equilibrium in the economy of group honor...

But sometimes, whether by accident or design, retribution is not proportionate to the original offense... In such cases, the reciprocal exchange of violence between clan groups can swiftly escalate, and, in the absence of central authority more powerful than the clans themselves, it can spin out of control. This is the logic of feud, and it is the Achilles heel of clan-based government.
    ronya wrote: »
    todo:

estimate the VAR for the whole period on differences, to see how much lags to include. ideally fewer. nope ten lags

log-likelihood-ratio-test for nonlinearity

log-likelihood-ratio-test for granger causation.

edited May 2013
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Crohns team woo. Sob

I am lucky to only have started severe issues in early 20s, as I think being an adult made it easier to deal with. Would have really messed me up if I had the same symptoms ten years earlier.

My number 1 regret with Crohns is not having taken more medication when I was younger. I got by without much medication, but the damage done could have been mitigated a lot.

Oh, and not using a washlet. That's what we call them in Japan. Like a bidet built into the toilet, but for your bum. They are absolutely essential for anyone with bowel disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washlet
    poshniallo on
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    Crohns team woo. Sob

My number 1 regret with Crohns is not having taken more medication when I was younger. I got by without much medication, but the damage done could have been mitigated a lot.

Oh, and not using a washlet. That's what we call them in Japan. Like a bidet built into the toilet, but for your bum. They are absolutely essential for anyone with bowel disease.

ahhhhh Japanese toilet technology

one of the areas in which i really envy your part of the world Posh
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    something unexpectedly deflated the duck

main.dead_.duck_.jpg

130515152312-168752357-horizontal-gallery.jpg
    I was terrified of my brother's japanese toilet

it had more buttons than the tv remote
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    Crohns team woo. Sob

It sucked when I was younger, especially in high school. Kids were not very understanding when you were having to go to the washroom and have an uncontrolled bout of diarhea. And trying to catch up when you missed nearly an entire week sucked. :(
    t7zsk1.jpg
    Crohns team woo. Sob

Funny, I feel the same way about my beetus. I hear stories of kids and teens completely failing to control their sugar levels. My favourite is of one boy who chugged Lucozade on the school bus and than immediately stabbed himself with his insulin.
    one day when i have my own place and a decent chunk of disposable cash i will import a Japanese toilet

no one will be permitted to use it but me
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    one day when i have my own place and a decent chunk of disposable cash i will import a Japanese toilet

no one will be permitted to use it but me

Will you install a rectinal scan to keep out intruders?
    the heated toilet seat would have been amazing during winter

during summer, it was just uncomfortable
    down in southeast asia it is decently common to construct home toilets and kitchens with floor drains, so you can pour water all over the floor. I guess?

in any case, the effect is that many toilets come with a variable-pressure hose that you can use for the same effect as the washlet. But also to clean the place.

One example here, hanging at the back:

630yahoo-toilet-png_150738.png
This discussion has been closed.