Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I drew this at work and I hate it D:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/VuSEzzF .png[/img]
    Better than anything I've ever drawn!

This is true, Richy is a horrific artist.

That said, I like it a lot Cass!
    vspgsp.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    It might be time to start weaning myself off Wellbutrin, and start taking Zoloft exclusively.

Ask the doctor first et cetera?

Hope that works out well.

I already have. We upped my ADD meds about two months ago, and it had a side effect of jacking up my heart rate. So, this month I'm supposed to start switching since Zoloft is less likely to cause this particular interaction.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    1) it is a middle aged lady 2) its an eyepatch 3) cause she lost her left arm and eye in battle

it's for my the secret world pen and paper game
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    It might be time to start weaning myself off Wellbutrin, and start taking Zoloft exclusively.

Ask the doctor first et cetera?

Hope that works out well.

I already have. We upped my ADD meds about two months ago, and it had a side effect of jacking up my heart rate. So, this month I'm supposed to start switching since Zoloft is less likely to cause this particular interaction.

Ahhh

Yeah those'll do that.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    hooray for drug interactions
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    it's 9:40. I am dead tired.

What is wrong with me and good night.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    HAHAHAHAHA that is a balling grad picture.
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza We sell products... ...and get in ROBOTS!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So i just found out that my Grandfather who was a Boston cop and died before I was born was on the payroll of a one Whitey Bulger. He also had two different families on the opposite side of town from each other and they did not know the other existed....... wow... mind = blown

My mom has a step sister that she didn't know existed until quite recently (she's 50).

themoreyouknow.jpg
    Handsome Costanza on
    We sell fights and get into products.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    @poshniallo

Even though I only had like 5 minutes of prep time you idea for the warmup went over great (luckily I had a list of dates of when things were invented, or built, or when people were born lying around already for an information gap activity I was planning).

It may not have been the heaviest lifting from an English perspective, but it got them hearing the target grammar a lot, and using it some, but mostly it got then smiling and laughing and engaged during English class, which is the most important thing for my job, as far as I am concerned.

So thanks a bunch!

@inquisitor

You're welcome. Actually, one thing Serious Teachers are prone to do is underestimate the importance of warmups, context-setting, and the teaching chestnut of Activating Schema.

I have deliberately checked this myself - gone through periods using warmers, periods using no warmers, taken notes. And I have observed and assessed literally hundreds of EFL lessons. The difference in student output and general lesson effectiveness is very clear. Warmers are very important, and Serious Teachers (like me, sometimes, especially if my client is paying a lot) ignore them at their peril.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I have a new diet plan.

Anytime I catch myself going to spend money on superfluous junk food, I will take that money and instead give it to a charity.

So every time I fail to stop myself from eating a tub of B&J's, I will be murdering children in Africa.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    hooray for drug interactions

Multi vitamin and merlot doesn't work, FYI, I tried it already.
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Smug. I love it.

When did you graduate?
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Ham you look stoned.

I didn't realize those would be the images we were offered to purchase. It was taken as a quick snapshot when I left the stage to get my fake ceremony diploma. If I'd stopped to think for a second, I wouldn't have done a quick drive-by smirk. The other ones turned out better -- though glare is definitely a problem.

Now to decide which to spend $30 on for a single matte 8x10...
    gradimage2.jpg
    gradimage3.jpg
    gradimage4.jpg
    network_sig2.png
    Elki wrote: »

Smug. I love it.

When did you graduate?

Like 3 weeks ago.
    network_sig2.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I was writing an essay about the issues of sexism and representation by women writers in comics vs. manga a couple days ago. I really have never known as much about comics as I'd like to, but sexism in manga is so weird.

Like, on the one hand the most sexist shit in mainstream manga is waaay worse than what comics pulls nowadays. Like a few weeks ago this ridiculously misogynistic manga that I won't bother naming won a Kodansha award for new series, for it to not only be getting published but getting awards is just bizarre.

And yet on the other hand, the manga industry's representation by women really makes comics look ridiculous in comparison. Not only are commercially-successful josei and shoujo mangas mostly written by and sold to women, but there's heaps of female artists with cross-demographic appeal as well. Mushishi, Full Metal Alchemist, Nodame Cantabile, and lots more series originally written by women as well. Before Harry Potter came along Rumiko Takahashi was the top-earning female author in the world, and I think behind her was Yuu Watase. And there's heaps of LGBT-themed works sold to a mainstream audience as well. Even in anime there's getting to be more successful female directors, and Kyoto Animation actually started out as basically a woman's animation studio, though I think they've gained a lot of male employees since then.

I guess the conclusion is that Japan is, once again, both awesome and fucking terrible.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular

Smug. I love it.

When did you graduate?

Like 3 weeks ago.

I gotta say... I awesomed the pic anyway because congrats

But part of me was like, "Hasn't he graduated several times over the last few weeks?"
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    I went for a jog today for the first time in a year due to my knee cartilage issue

Then I ate half a tub of haagen daz and a third of a bag of chips

YES

I awesome'd this because this post was, by definition, awesome.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So i just found out that my Grandfather who was a Boston cop and died before I was born was on the payroll of a one Whitey Bulger. He also had two different families on the opposite side of town from each other and they did not know the other existed....... wow... mind = blown

My mom has a step sister that she didn't know existed until quite recently (she's 50).

themoreyouknow.jpg

*cancels Ancestry.com account*

D:
    Chanus wrote: »

Smug. I love it.

When did you graduate?

Like 3 weeks ago.

I gotta say... I awesomed the pic anyway because congrats

But part of me was like, "Hasn't he graduated several times over the last few weeks?"

4/30/2013.

Never forget.
    network_sig2.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Ham you look stoned.

I didn't realize those would be the images we were offered to purchase. It was taken as a quick snapshot when I left the stage to get my fake ceremony diploma. If I'd stopped to think for a second, I wouldn't have done a quick drive-by smirk. The other ones turned out better -- though glare is definitely a problem.

Now to decide which to spend $30 on for a single matte 8x10...
    gradimage2.jpg
    gradimage3.jpg
    gradimage4.jpg

That old dude has a bitchin robe+hat
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    Ham, you a tall dude or is the guy next to you a shorty?

Smug. I love it.

When did you graduate?

Like 3 weeks ago.

Nice. All the congrats go to you, and the tip of my hat.
    I went for a jog today for the first time in a year due to my knee cartilage issue

Then I ate half a tub of haagen daz and a third of a bag of chips

YES

I really wish I had cash for a trip to the doctors

I need to get a new prescription for an asthma inhaler. As it is I can't even jog a half mile before my lungs feel like I'm breathing through a snorkel. It's super aggravating having to stop running and rest before your legs are even tired!

Luckily asthma doesn't matter much for weight lifting, so right now I'm just aiming for "beefcake" power lifter look instead of "muscular and attractive." Baby steps, baby steps.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

He's like 6'4"
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It was a little more than half the tub, I'm not gonna lie

BUT IT IS HALF FAT LEMON SO IT'S OKAY
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I was writing an essay about the issues of sexism and representation by women writers in comics vs. manga a couple days ago. I really have never known as much about comics as I'd like to, but sexism in manga is so weird.

Like, on the one hand the most sexist shit in mainstream manga is waaay worse than what comics pulls nowadays. Like a few weeks ago this ridiculously misogynistic manga that I won't bother naming won a Kodansha award for new series, for it to not only be getting published but getting awards is just bizarre.

And yet on the other hand, the manga industry's representation by women really makes comics look ridiculous in comparison. Not only are commercially-successful josei and shoujo mangas mostly written by and sold to women, but there's heaps of female artists with cross-demographic appeal as well. Mushishi, Full Metal Alchemist, Nodame Cantabile, and lots more series originally written by women as well. Before Harry Potter came along Rumiko Takahashi was the top-earning female author in the world, and I think behind her was Yuu Watase. And there's heaps of LGBT-themed works sold to a mainstream audience as well. Even in anime there's getting to be more successful female directors, and Kyoto Animation actually started out as basically a woman's animation studio, though I think they've gained a lot of male employees since then.

I guess the conclusion is that Japan is, once again, both awesome and fucking terrible.

I wonder if that might hint at a way forward for video games. Especially among indies. That the bad crap that gets made (and even is successful or celebrated) doesn't have to stop people from also making, and succeeding, with products that do not exclude or objectify.

If one declares that "success" is only when misogynistic games are not being made (or are only on the fringe) then I think one is doomed to failure. At least for a long time. But if success means the creation and success of the Good (ignoring what else is made and succeeds) that seems like an achievable goal. And a more positive one.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    I am in love with Hangouts. Using it is even better than imagining what it'd be like.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I leave to go see the midnight show of Star Trek in a few minutes. :D:D:D

I love midnight premieres. They are almost my favorite thing.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I am in love with Hangouts. Using it is even better than imagining what it'd be like.

google is gonna cancel that so hard as soon as they realize they accidentally made something good
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    A BABBY HAS ARRIVED AT MY HOUSE!

Apparently my brother and sis-in-law are staying out here for a couple days because my brother is attending a conference nearby.

Nobody tells me anything, but it's okay because A BABBY HAS ARRIVED AT MY HOUSE!
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I think Japanese society is tremendously fractured. There are peacenik liberals, but there are would-be-fascists like Hashimoto. There are sexist idiots writing comics, and there are Clamp and other women writers like you mentioned. The fractured part is that the conservatives don't even really believe that the others exist or are important. Especially there is this tremendously damaging cultural narrative of 'what's Japanese', and the conservatives just dismiss the female writers as un-Japanese or a blip in the market or a niche or a fad. Whatever they need to do to dismiss them.

That's what I always see here - differing parts of society who have essentially no contact, and barely believe the other exists or is significant. I am very optimistic about the future, because the conservatives are becoming less and less important in all minds but their own.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.

6'3" of Man, yes.

(Trying to find a picture on my Facebook that answers this question visually.)
    15101_10200169101255159_1953276297_n.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

6'3" of Man, yes.

(Trying to find a picture on my Facebook that answers this question visually.)
    15101_10200169101255159_1953276297_n.jpg

"I can choke you with ONE HAND."
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I leave to go see the midnight show of Star Trek in a few minutes. :D:D:D

I love midnight premieres. They are almost my favorite thing.

This agree is both an agree and an awesome!
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    what am I still up for...
    Mental midgets kill my inner child.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    A BABBY HAS ARRIVED AT MY HOUSE!

Apparently my brother and sis-in-law are staying out here for a couple days because my brother is attending a conference nearby.

Nobody tells me anything, but it's okay because A BABBY HAS ARRIVED AT MY HOUSE!

Are you going to fry or bake it?
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    I'm trying to come up with a joke about keeping the white man down but it's just not coming together
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza We sell products... ...and get in ROBOTS!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hey Henroid, how fucking rude and annoying was Benji today? He had no right to go at Rob Cordry like that... especially since Rob was right on the button in his criticism of Benjy. He should be fired for that or at least severely reprimanded. Howard doesn't even like staff saying hi to guests, let alone ripping them a new one like benjy attempted to do today. God I hate Benji

edit: and then on the wrap up show he called Rob a "snide little shit" and claimed that he writes the entire show basically.

God I hate benjy and his stupid schtick.. He's trying to be like andy kauffman but nothing he does is funny. I don't even believe that he's really dating Alissa Jordana. She's a bad actor and it shows whenever she tries to explain why she's so into benjy and his stupid vortex bullshit.

double edit: I put this in the wrong thread originally. Henroid isn't here either but what the hell I'll post it anyway.
    Handsome Costanza on
    We sell fights and get into products.
    I'm trying to come up with a joke about keeping the white man down but it's just not coming together

White (choking) privilege.
    network_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.