Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Oh star trek is out in the us tonight? Yay more people to talk about it with!
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    A BABBY HAS ARRIVED AT MY HOUSE!

Apparently my brother and sis-in-law are staying out here for a couple days because my brother is attending a conference nearby.

Nobody tells me anything, but it's okay because A BABBY HAS ARRIVED AT MY HOUSE!

Are you going to fry or bake it?

Sear him off, then toss him into the oven for a few hours at 350F 'til he's fall-off-the-bone.

Hahaha gross, Brad, gross.
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    13 hour work day and my own project languishes cause i have to help out on one that's deemed more important from like, the company not losing hundreds of millions of dollars in business standpoint.
    worrisomeSig.jpg
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular

Apparently my brother and sis-in-law are staying out here for a couple days because my brother is attending a conference nearby.

Nobody tells me anything, but it's okay because A BABBY HAS ARRIVED AT MY HOUSE!

blasphemy!

one must grill baby back ribs
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    My new project with the other ALT in my town is to make a halfway-decent translation of this Japanese card game

so far we have learned some new words like "katsuage", which is apparently a specific subculture/kind of delinquent
    turtlesig.jpg
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, late-night snack, or being beautiful?

Choices, choices ...
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular

Sear him off, then toss him into the oven for a few hours at 350F 'til he's fall-off-the-bone.

Hahaha gross, Brad, gross.

Brb calling police
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Just got the the "Hamsterdam" episode of The Wire season 3.

Heheheh, "Hamsterdam." Because pigs.
    network_sig2.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I was writing an essay about the issues of sexism and representation by women writers in comics vs. manga a couple days ago. I really have never known as much about comics as I'd like to, but sexism in manga is so weird.

Like, on the one hand the most sexist shit in mainstream manga is waaay worse than what comics pulls nowadays. Like a few weeks ago this ridiculously misogynistic manga that I won't bother naming won a Kodansha award for new series, for it to not only be getting published but getting awards is just bizarre.

And yet on the other hand, the manga industry's representation by women really makes comics look ridiculous in comparison. Not only are commercially-successful josei and shoujo mangas mostly written by and sold to women, but there's heaps of female artists with cross-demographic appeal as well. Mushishi, Full Metal Alchemist, Nodame Cantabile, and lots more series originally written by women as well. Before Harry Potter came along Rumiko Takahashi was the top-earning female author in the world, and I think behind her was Yuu Watase. And there's heaps of LGBT-themed works sold to a mainstream audience as well. Even in anime there's getting to be more successful female directors, and Kyoto Animation actually started out as basically a woman's animation studio, though I think they've gained a lot of male employees since then.

I guess the conclusion is that Japan is, once again, both awesome and fucking terrible.

I wonder if that might hint at a way forward for video games. Especially among indies. That the bad crap that gets made (and even is successful or celebrated) doesn't have to stop people from also making, and succeeding, with products that do not exclude or objectify.

If one declares that "success" is only when misogynistic games are not being made (or are only on the fringe) then I think one is doomed to failure. At least for a long time. But if success means the creation and success of the Good (ignoring what else is made and succeeds) that seems like an achievable goal. And a more positive one.

I really would *love* to see an rpg with a core feminist theme (real feminists, not mythical internet feminists). It wouldn't even be out of the wheelhouse of rpgs - female main character, setting from basically any historical period, there you go you've got 20 hours of conflict already set up.

It is sort of odd though how manga does have that big female representation, while JRPGs are still mostly awful about their female characters (although granted I haven't played any in the last couple of years). I guess FF12 aaaalmost went in a positive direction, with the plucky peasant boy basically turning into an after thought and the princess driving a lot of the action, but that whole story just sort of took a trip to stupidtown after a few hours in anyway, so.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Did you just get awesomes for quoting my post?

brb getting links for all @skippydumptruck 's pics of soy
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Analog oven how am I supposed to tell when you're preheated? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Also, hair bands are called 'kachūsha', (apparently) derived from the character Katyusha in Tolstoy's 'Resurrection'
    turtlesig.jpg
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza We sell products... ...and get in ROBOTS!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    kaleedity wrote: »

blasphemy!

one must grill baby back ribs

While grilling, one must have a barbershop quartet singing in the background as well. It is known.
    Handsome Costanza on
    We sell fights and get into products.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I'm kind of annoyed about it! I join three of my friends for dinner after me and my roommate went to this other thing, anyway, they say "let's order more fajitas!" So we do, and I'm the only one who eats any of it. No one else pays for the dish, I'm stuck with a bill of $14.28. I had ALREADY EATEN, and only had one! THE FUCK.

Seriously, it's these things that destroy friendships. I am currently hella resentful.
    ppl who do that shit with food bills r the worst

but

i also ate too much mexican food today

i want to vom
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I was writing an essay about the issues of sexism and representation by women writers in comics vs. manga a couple days ago. I really have never known as much about comics as I'd like to, but sexism in manga is so weird.

Like, on the one hand the most sexist shit in mainstream manga is waaay worse than what comics pulls nowadays. Like a few weeks ago this ridiculously misogynistic manga that I won't bother naming won a Kodansha award for new series, for it to not only be getting published but getting awards is just bizarre.

And yet on the other hand, the manga industry's representation by women really makes comics look ridiculous in comparison. Not only are commercially-successful josei and shoujo mangas mostly written by and sold to women, but there's heaps of female artists with cross-demographic appeal as well. Mushishi, Full Metal Alchemist, Nodame Cantabile, and lots more series originally written by women as well. Before Harry Potter came along Rumiko Takahashi was the top-earning female author in the world, and I think behind her was Yuu Watase. And there's heaps of LGBT-themed works sold to a mainstream audience as well. Even in anime there's getting to be more successful female directors, and Kyoto Animation actually started out as basically a woman's animation studio, though I think they've gained a lot of male employees since then.

I guess the conclusion is that Japan is, once again, both awesome and fucking terrible.

I wonder if that might hint at a way forward for video games. Especially among indies. That the bad crap that gets made (and even is successful or celebrated) doesn't have to stop people from also making, and succeeding, with products that do not exclude or objectify.

If one declares that "success" is only when misogynistic games are not being made (or are only on the fringe) then I think one is doomed to failure. At least for a long time. But if success means the creation and success of the Good (ignoring what else is made and succeeds) that seems like an achievable goal. And a more positive one.

I really would *love* to see an rpg with a core feminist theme (real feminists, not mythical internet feminists). It wouldn't even be out of the wheelhouse of rpgs - female main character, setting from basically any historical period, there you go you've got 20 hours of conflict already set up.

It is sort of odd though how manga does have that big female representation, while JRPGs are still mostly awful about their female characters (although granted I haven't played any in the last couple of years). I guess FF12 aaaalmost went in a positive direction, with the plucky peasant boy basically turning into an after thought and the princess driving a lot of the action, but that whole story just sort of took a trip to stupidtown after a few hours in anyway, so.

well one difference that immediately comes to mind is that it probably costs several thousand times as much money to make an RPG as to produce a print run of a manga. That much money comes with very heavy strings.

Which is why I was thinking in particular of indie games.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »
    I am in love with Hangouts. Using it is even better than imagining what it'd be like.

google is gonna cancel that so hard as soon as they realize they accidentally made something good

I still have a burning sore in my heart that will one day kill me over losing what was so precious to me, but this doesn't look like the thing that invites their spring axe.

I think Google's version of iMessages is going to be a much superior product.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
    TTODewback wrote: »

Put yo hand in it
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    A Seattle man trying to dribble a soccer ball 10,000 miles to Brazil in time for the 2014 World Cup died Tuesday after being hit by a pickup truck on the Oregon Coast.

Police in Lincoln City, Ore., said 42-year-old Richard Swanson was hit at about 10 a.m. walking south along U.S. Highway 101 near the city limits. He was declared dead at a local hospital. The driver has not been charged.

:(
    ahaha

Image from some dude who had been noticing bees in his house, and pulled off some of his wall to figure things out
    g1eLZoMh.jpg
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular

Array of strategically placed thermocouples fed into a multi-channel ADC unit?

Put yo hand in it

Throw a chicken breast in it and wait about 30 minutes.

If it's cooked, the oven is at about 350°
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular

Put yo hand in it
    I'm drunk enough to try that .
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    A Seattle man trying to dribble a soccer ball 10,000 miles to Brazil in time for the 2014 World Cup died Tuesday after being hit by a pickup truck on the Oregon Coast.

Police in Lincoln City, Ore., said 42-year-old Richard Swanson was hit at about 10 a.m. walking south along U.S. Highway 101 near the city limits. He was declared dead at a local hospital. The driver has not been charged.

my feels...
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod

Damn.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    Lies, smoked is the correct way, so says The Brown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJ7nkslBv8
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza We sell products... ...and get in ROBOTS!Registered User regular

I was going to make a callus joke about this, but it's just too sad. I can't do it.
    We sell fights and get into products.
    also afterward I plan on doing electrical work. I am a risk takerrrrrrrrrrr
    ahaha

Image from some dude who had been noticing bees in his house, and pulled off some of his wall to figure things out
    g1eLZoMh.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

brb getting links for all skippydumptruck 's pics of soy

It's always a question of timing.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

brb getting links for all skippydumptruck 's pics of soy

It's always a question of timing.

ABOLISH THE AWESOME SYSTEM.

NOW.
    network_sig2.png
    Putting your hand in it is actual advice!

Just, like, don't touch the metal.

But if it's unpleasantly hot for your hand to be in, there's a good chance it's at or close to the temperature you set it to. :o

Close enough that you can go ahead and toss in whatever you're ovening!
    Oh there was a light. Derp. Spinach pizza your soul is mine
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I am in love with Hangouts. Using it is even better than imagining what it'd be like.

google is gonna cancel that so hard as soon as they realize they accidentally made something good

I still have a burning sore in my heart that will one day kill me over losing what was so precious to me, but this doesn't look like the thing that invites their spring axe.

I think Google's version of iMessages is going to be a much superior product.

i'm not sure i understand this hangouts thing

there are only a few people on my buddy list thing like 8 people...
    but in my gtalk client there are like 30 people

and it doesnt say who is online and who is not ?

i dont get it
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |

But if it's unpleasantly hot for your hand to be in, there's a good chance it's at or close to the temperature you set it to. :o

My method is slightly more precise.
    ahaha

g1eLZoMh.jpg

Burn the house down, it's the only way to be sure

Either that or keep them and farm them for honey!
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Skated 5 miles, biked 10

I think I'm melting
    sigtk.jpg
    edited May 2013

My method is slightly more precise.

Oh definitely, you'll find no argument here.
    BeNarwhal on
    ahaha

g1eLZoMh.jpg

Burn the house down, it's the only way to be sure

Either that or keep them and farm them for honey!

Take all the honey and then burn the house down.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

I think Japanese society is tremendously fractured. There are peacenik liberals, but there are would-be-fascists like Hashimoto. There are sexist idiots writing comics, and there are Clamp and other women writers like you mentioned. The fractured part is that the conservatives don't even really believe that the others exist or are important. Especially there is this tremendously damaging cultural narrative of 'what's Japanese', and the conservatives just dismiss the female writers as un-Japanese or a blip in the market or a niche or a fad. Whatever they need to do to dismiss them.

That's what I always see here - differing parts of society who have essentially no contact, and barely believe the other exists or is significant. I am very optimistic about the future, because the conservatives are becoming less and less important in all minds but their own.

I was going to say you could just be optimistic that the conservatives are going to die soon, but Japanese people live forever.
    vspgsp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.