Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    shazkar shadowstorm

more like

basskar bassowstorm
    919UOwT.png
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    So the Syrian heart eater thing was pretty fucked up.

tbh i don't know what we expected in a war like that

any war involving rebels, revolutionaries, fundies or gurillas you can usually rely on some blood curdling shit going on even if it isn't reported in the news

but how else was he going to gain his courage?
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    ronya

more like

bassya

What is wrong with you?

He has wuberculosis
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Apparently JE Sawyer (one of the main writers on New Vegas) asks female fans of his if they know what Thack0 is, and when they don't he smugly goes THAT'S WHAT I'D EXPECT FROM A TRENDY GIRL GAMER

This is part of why I could never work in a customer facing place that served nerds. Some day I would overhear this conversation and end up giving someone a wedgie or something.

Honestly shit like this is obnoxious but after a dude threatened to follow me home and rape me to death because I rolled a six and got to repeat 'stomp 'em gork' in warhammer fantasy battle

It's all kind of laughable in comparison
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Henroid?

More like Hemorrhoid.

37814211.jpg
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    People bitch about 3rd Ed now, but when it came out it blew the minds of those of us who had played 2nd for a while. Intuitive math instead of Thac0? No class / race combo limitations? What is this madness? Our GM didn't like it though. He'd already bought a library of splat books and wanted to stick with 2nd Ed.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    He has Epstein Bass Syndrome
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I still can't explain exactly wtf thac0 is doing and I'm playing in a second ed game

I know lower AC is harder to hit

I'm not convinced it wasn't explicitly designed to put off new users
    kaleedity on
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Cass what if I feel my inner Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels coming out in your campaign.

r u still mad that u cant hack a computer....

WHY WOULD ANYONE SUGGEST ME TO DO THAT

I have one dot! I'm a petty thief!

But mostly my desire for hilarious self-sabotage is rising so of course I had to try.

I promise to not take anyone else down with me except maybe @jacobkosh

it worked out in the end

kind of

maybe

probably not

Door opens

Dagger in hand

"Oh I uh I needed to borrow this letter opener you had to open up some correspondence I've received."

Throw self out window

your tombstone reads

bob wonderlick

Noooooooooooo
    He has dropsy
    G2Dcf.jpg
    Besides have you seen real life hackers

My character is much too handsome to be one ' ,:3

desc is possibly the most handsome man i've ever seen
    919UOwT.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    People bitch about 3rd Ed now, but when it came out it blew the minds of those of us who had played 2nd for a while. Intuitive math instead of Thac0? No class / race combo limitations? What is this madness? Our GM didn't like it though. He'd already bought a library of splat books and wanted to stick with 2nd Ed.

this is literally the story of every old edition -> new edition change in d&d
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    i know how thac0 works because of baldur's gate

never actually played any pen & paper rpgs
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    What the fuck is Thac0?

To Hit Armor Class 0

Basically, in old DnD armor class went down instead of up, which was super counter-intuitive. If you had a thac0 of 20 and your opponent had a 0 AC, you'd need to roll a 20 to hit them. If they had an AC of 5, you'd need to roll a 15.

In third edition that stat was replaced with to hit modifiers, which made way more sense, and armor class went up instead of down, so you'd just roll, add your modifiers and if you beat their armor class you hit.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Apparently JE Sawyer (one of the main writers on New Vegas) asks female fans of his if they know what Thack0 is, and when they don't he smugly goes THAT'S WHAT I'D EXPECT FROM A TRENDY GIRL GAMER
    source? because my understanding of josh sawyer is he's a cool dude (also an elf)
    vhtdss.gif
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »

this is literally the story of every old edition -> new edition change in d&d

not so much D&D to AD&D.

even 1st to 2nd edition was mostly seamless, with only a few beardy necks being obstinate.

3rd edition created the first major divide I saw. since then, it has happened with every edition.
    meat.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Guys. I found heaven.
    It's beautiful.
    So fucking beautiful.
    ODDGNfc.png
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    So THAC0 is just hipster nerd "no true Scottsman" bullshit. Gotcha.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I still can't explain exactly wtf thac0 is doing and I'm playing in a second ed game

I know lower AC is harder to hit

I'm not convinced it wasn't explicitly designed to put off new users

Thaco is "to hit armour class 0"

Armour class is added to your attack roll, and if the total is your thaco or higher you hit.

That's why negative armour class is powerful.
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0
    919UOwT.png
    What's my nickname, Ludious?

8->

Gaylord
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Armour making you harder to hit makes more sense than it absorbing damage.

Armour deflects and turns aside attacks. Usually something that penetrates your armour is a killing blow anyway. When it successfully protects you, it does so by making your enemy's attack fail to strike properly.

Realism and DnD don't really go together.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    wow

this turned into like 5 pages of die rolling after I went to get breakfast
    hey special k how are you
    919UOwT.png
    I ran a 4E game where we had a shitload of people and 2 DMs and we had a split party situation that we designed and ran separately to playtest, culminating in a massive encounter combining both DMs and parties. The dragon BBEG was almost taken out, and he was set to flee when his health was low. He got away, and that was the end of our one shot. Ho boy the party didn't like that shit.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    wow

make

it

stahp....
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Guys. I found heaven.
    It's beautiful.
    So fucking beautiful.
    ODDGNfc.png

god bless America
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    source? because my understanding of josh sawyer is he's a cool dude (also an elf)
    vhtdss.gif

I don't have a source unfortunately I heard this a while ago
    He has gastroesophogeal skrillex disease
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    wow

......so avface?
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    the easiest way to think about thaco is that you want to have a low number there to counteract whatever the AC of your target happens to be.

If you have a THACO of 10, and you are going against someone with an AC of -2 (Platemail +5), then you will need a 12 on the roll, after all bonuses, to hit them.

10 - (-2) = 12
    meat.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    wow

make

it

stahp....

Geth roll 0d6 for fuck's given
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    P10 wrote: »
    vhtdss.gif

I don't have a source unfortunately I heard this a while ago

maybe he said it ironically

or I dunno. Look at half the shit I say. I can say with some confidence that (most) people here realize I'm not as shitty as I seem. I have trouble judging people based on such little snippets in time like that, even if true
    sorry i spelled that wrong

Gawd bless 'Murica
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Resident Evil Revelations has the best alt costume for Chris ever

945690_587353067952251_1748403679_n.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    What's my nickname, Ludious?

8->

Gaylord

What, that makes no sense.

I'm not a very gay person. When have you ever seen me dance a gay little jig? I'm rather depressed, in fact!

Plus, it's not very clever.

You disappoint me, Lud...
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

This is part of why I could never work in a customer facing place that served nerds. Some day I would overhear this conversation and end up giving someone a wedgie or something.

Honestly shit like this is obnoxious but after a dude threatened to follow me home and rape me to death because I rolled a six and got to repeat 'stomp 'em gork' in warhammer fantasy battle

It's all kind of laughable in comparison
    Hooooo kaaaay.

Goddamn nerds.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    I am so fucking pleased that worked.
    Gooey wrote: »
    hey special k how are you

Work stinks dubstep rules

I shall overcome though
    G2Dcf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.