Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    What, you enjoyed Inigo Montoya? Well, fuck you.

But Oberyn wins in the end. Dorne is playing the long game. Sure Oberyn dies, but he gets his revenge. The Mountain is an undead monster and Dorne is going to war.

Well, maybe.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Littlefinger may not have the world saving ambitions of Ozymandias, but in other ways he fits in just fine.

The Hound and the Comedian are a pretty good match, as well. They both see their world for it is and as a result don't give a shit.

I don't think that's accurate. Both the Hound and the Comedian when faced with the fact that the universe is indifferent and that people can be awful, turn to despair and embrace nihilism in their own way. With Moore such a character becomes a pathetic and pitiful figure, with Martin he's an imposing straight-talker. How that reflects on the writers themselves, I leave for you to decide.

What's "great" about Littlefinger is that he doesn't despair, but instead commits himself fully to being ambitious. He's a truthfully realized Randian hero.

Littlefinger reminds me of Steerpike. Man of low birth and great cunning trying to rise up in a rigid hierarchical society. Perhaps with less madness and more disturbing emotional attachments.
    steam_sig.png
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    The Hound is not a Nihilist. He's a crushed romantic who turns to Cynicism but deep down is still a romantic. Like Jaime.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Late to the conversation re: Malazan, but I'll chime in with the "worth reading" crowd. They are built around the concept of building tension until a massive climax, and do so - repeatedly - better than any other series. It's a pity the writing is as rough as it is in the first book.

And I'll also fall in the camp of TtH being the worst book in the series. The climax is one of the best, but the style of writing for the rest of the book to get there just dragged too much.

Never heard of starting with House of Chains before and I guess, I can see it, but that while intro was intended to be off - putting, so I'm not sure it's the best first impression.
    sig.gif
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Derrick wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Sicarii wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    but killing Karstark is the first time that i'd say he truly acted as his father would have.

Hardly surprising then that it is a terrible decision.

i'm of the opinion that Robb made the right decision, despite the consequence.

the difference with Ned is that he never seemed to realise the situation he was in while he was Hand. he was never sure who to trust or mistrust and even when he did seem to decide it was never with good reason. he never trusted Vayrs because someone who deals in information and shares it selectively should not be trusted, yet he eventually put his faith in Littlefinger due to Catelyn's sentimental belief in him despite being warned not to trust him(by Little finger himself no less).

Ned's only good decision in King's Landing was confessing and agreeing to join the Night's Watch. it was just an unfortunate shame that Joffrey had such an inflated ego and ignored advice/agreements.

as for Robb, he's been learning as he goes and while he has made mistakes he's at a point where it would seem that he's reflected on them and is ready, able and prepared to fix them.

He made the "right" decision as far as standing by his principles is concerned, but it definitely wasn't the most pragmatic decision. Whatever the consequence might have been to him being perceived as too lenient for simply imprisoning Karstark, it couldn't be as bad as having half his army walk out on him. To weaken his military position is to jeopardize the lives of all his men.

Truly, he is his father's son.

More than you know.

This is from a post on the tv show thread.
    Harry Dresden on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ha. Wonder if they'll show the head transplant.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • DAKBARBERDAKBARBER Registered User regular
    Has anyone been cast for Oberyn yet?

When can we expect the Dornish to show up? Season 4? I'm sure in the book they'd arrived by the time of the RW. Or is it all being moved up to Season 4?

With Stannis and the wall. I expect that to be the big finale in Episode 10. Then for Season 4 will they be using the events in book 5 while all the Kings Landing stuff from book 3 happens?

I'm just trying to make sense of how they will adapt Part 2 of SOS, AFFC, and ADWD. Because there is a lot of chronological overlap.
    Davos doesn't know how to read yet, so he won't be directing Stannis north particularly soon. Major stuff:

Tomorrow: Brienne fights in the bear pit and Jaime turns back to rescue her, Davos released, Stannis/Mel cast their spell, Tyrion/Sansa get married, Hound kidnaps Arya
    Next week: Dany arrives at Yunkai, Balon dies, Hound and Arya cross the Trident, Sansa gets a hairnet, some other stuff
    Weekend after Memorial Day: Red Wedding, Queenscrown Hound and Arya escape, other stuff
    Finale: Dany takes Yunkai, Jon arrives at Castle Black, first attack, Ygritte bites it , Davos reads a letter and goes to Stannis, Arya stabs some Lannisters, Stoneheart
    4.01: Oberyn and company arrive in King's Landing, Arya leaves the Hound to die, Dany heads towards Meereen
    4.02: Mance arrives at the Wall, discussions about Dorne, final wedding prep, Arya makes it to a ship, Bran and Sam make it to Night's Fort
    4.03: Purple wedding
    4.04: Battles at the wall, Tyrion considers his defense, possibly around here at some point we move the Kingsmoot up a bit, Meereen's champion falls, probably end on Slynt showing up and threatening to hang Jon
    4.05: Stannis arrives in the north, Sam and Gilly make it back to Castle Black, Arya makes it to Bravos, Jaime makes it to King's Landing, Littlefinger/Sansa get to the Eyrie (thematic cohesion and your mid-season transition episode)
    4.06: Jon elected Lord Commander, some other stuff, I dunno
    4.07: Stannis offers Winterfell to Jon, Tyrion demands trial by combat again, Dany confronts Jorah about his treason
    4.08: Jorah/Barristan/Grey Worm and friends go through the sewers and take Meereen for Dany, Jorah banished, Oberyn drops Tyrion's life (closing scene, obviously), Jon declines Stannis' offer
    4.09: Tyrion's escape, Shae's death, Tywin's death, maybe some other stuff, but I'll bet that's the focus, basically
    4.10: Sansa builds a castle, Dany decides to stay and rule, "Only Cat"
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    You really think they'll do Stoneheart this season? I hope they keep it where it is in the book, would be a nice transition from "Only Cat" to that.
    I did, but the finale's title is going to have a double meaning again, I think.
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I would imagine that they'll keep the Brotherhood and Cat on as side characters, making an appearance in an episode or two every season from now.

Also, the Stoneheart reveal would be topical as the season cliffhanger. Re-introducing her next season, your general TV viewer might've forgotten who she is. One episode after the biggest oh shit moment of the series they'll still definitely remember her.
    reVerse on
    I would imagine that they'll keep the Brotherhood and Cat on as side characters, making an appearance in an episode or two every season from now.

Also, the Stoneheart reveal would be topical as the season cliffhanger. Re-introducing her next season, your general TV viewer might've forgotten who she is. One episode after the biggest oh shit moment of the series they'll still definitely remember her.

I might be misremembering things, but in the book we first meet her when a Frey goes to the Brotherhood to negotiate the release of another Frey. It would be hard to imagine they'd be able to keep that bit if the RW happened literally the episode before. I agree that putting it in the season finale would give people something to talk about for the next season, but that would work just as well from 4-5 as 3-4. Plus if it wasn't clear who it was there'd be something else to discuss. At the end of the day I trust the showrunners to do it right no matter how it happens, but I do think it would work best as it is in the book.
    HeraldS wrote: »

I might be misremembering things, but in the book we first meet her when a Frey goes to the Brotherhood to negotiate the release of another Frey. It would be hard to imagine they'd be able to keep that bit if the RW happened literally the episode before. I agree that putting it in the season finale would give people something to talk about for the next season, but that would work just as well from 4-5 as 3-4. Plus if it wasn't clear who it was there'd be something else to discuss. At the end of the day I trust the showrunners to do it right no matter how it happens, but I do think it would work best as it is in the book.

They can change the reasons. Instead of hostage negotiation, maybe they just gank a Frey.
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Ha. Wonder if they'll show the head transplant.

I hope they do. It's such a great image, and it wasn't foreshadowed by the House of the Undying for the show people.
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    HeraldS wrote: »

They can change the reasons. Instead of hostage negotiation, maybe they just gank a Frey.

It's not the reason that concerns me so much as the timing. Makes less sense to be out hunting Freys that quickly after the RW (gonna take time for it all to get back to the Brotherhood as they're not the most plugged in to the machinations of the nobles, being in the woods and all), gotta get the word out first and Stoneheart is dead for a few days before they even revive her. It just seems like it'd be a lot more work to speed up the reveal without a compelling reason to do so, which I'm struggling to come up with.
    Well, one thing, is I imagine we'll see Beric making the sacrifice. That's probably how they show it and we'll visit zombie Cat's crusade against the Freys in S4 a couple times.
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    That's a good point. I never considered it, but the story of how the Brotherhood goes from a group of semi-noble justice seekers under Beric to vengeful death squad under Cat is pretty fertile filler territory for the show.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    I'm betting the Cat scene they show in 3.10 will be Beric reviving her.
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm betting the Cat scene they show in 3.10 will be Beric reviving her.

It could be Arya warging into Nymeria for the first time and finding the body right before the Brotherhood does. They have to introduce Arya warging at some point, seems like the perfect opportunity to.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Davos doesn't know how to read yet, so he won't be directing Stannis north particularly soon.

For that matter Jon hasn't sent the letter for aid yet.

1320673-1.png
    sig.png
    Davos doesn't know how to read yet, so he won't be directing Stannis north particularly soon.

For that matter Jon hasn't sent the letter for aid yet.

Also a fair point.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Davos doesn't know how to read yet, so he won't be directing Stannis north particularly soon. Major stuff:

Tomorrow: Brienne fights in the bear pit and Jaime turns back to rescue her, Davos released, Stannis/Mel cast their spell, Tyrion/Sansa get married, Hound kidnaps Arya
    Next week: Dany arrives at Yunkai, Balon dies, Hound and Arya cross the Trident, Sansa gets a hairnet, some other stuff
    Weekend after Memorial Day: Red Wedding, Queenscrown Hound and Arya escape, other stuff
    Finale: Dany takes Yunkai, Jon arrives at Castle Black, first attack, Ygritte bites it , Davos reads a letter and goes to Stannis, Arya stabs some Lannisters, Stoneheart
    4.01: Oberyn and company arrive in King's Landing, Arya leaves the Hound to die, Dany heads towards Meereen
    4.02: Mance arrives at the Wall, discussions about Dorne, final wedding prep, Arya makes it to a ship, Bran and Sam make it to Night's Fort
    4.03: Purple wedding
    4.04: Battles at the wall, Tyrion considers his defense, possibly around here at some point we move the Kingsmoot up a bit, Meereen's champion falls, probably end on Slynt showing up and threatening to hang Jon
    4.05: Stannis arrives in the north, Sam and Gilly make it back to Castle Black, Arya makes it to Bravos, Jaime makes it to King's Landing, Littlefinger/Sansa get to the Eyrie (thematic cohesion and your mid-season transition episode)
    4.06: Jon elected Lord Commander, some other stuff, I dunno
    4.07: Stannis offers Winterfell to Jon, Tyrion demands trial by combat again, Dany confronts Jorah about his treason
    4.08: Jorah/Barristan/Grey Worm and friends go through the sewers and take Meereen for Dany, Jorah banished, Oberyn drops Tyrion's life (closing scene, obviously), Jon declines Stannis' offer
    4.09: Tyrion's escape, Shae's death, Tywin's death, maybe some other stuff, but I'll bet that's the focus, basically
    4.10: Sansa builds a castle, Dany decides to stay and rule, "Only Cat"

Is this based on anything, or is it just Speculation?

I think it's a little early for Stoneheart to be this season's ending stinger -- but then, I've completely forgotten all but the vague outlines of the novels, so eh (Ygritte dies? Bah!).
    network_sig2.png
    Just speculation.
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Stoneheart so soon would ruin it. It has to be at the end of Season 4.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

I understand how you feel. I just don't think it'll happen.
    steam_sig-400.png
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »

I understand how you feel. I just don't think it'll happen.

The cast has to stay engaged, and I have a veeeery strong feeling that they are going to be digging into books 4 and 5 next season after episode 6 or so, so making Stoneheart the season finale of season 4 would be too late.

They want to put a bow around this in 7-8 seasons, I have heard. If that is true, then depending on the girth of later books and how much material they may need to cover, it would be wise to not spend two full seasons telling books 4 and 5.
    meat.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel Deus Vult! OsloRegistered User regular
    It's comforting that they have an ending in sight.
    Fuck off and die.
    The speculation thread on TWOP has solved the case of Jon Arryn's murder. The courts may still acquit Littlefinger.
    steam_sig-400.png
    I foresee the show going on for 9-10 seasons. Season 4 is book 3.5, seasons 5 and 6 are AFFC and DwD, and then, at the minimum, I see the last two books taking three seasons, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they decide to dedicate two seasons per book, depending on how much shit go on in them.
  • HachfaceHachface Registered User regular
    I am listening to the audiobook of Storm of Swords at work to refresh my memory. Man. Nothing hammers home how much of a dirty old man Martin is like hearing an aged British gentleman describe how Dany's handmaiden pleasures her.
    Listen to History Lessons With Caleb, Mike & Terry, a podcast for the ill-informed.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    The speculation thread on TWOP has solved the case of Jon Arryn's murder. The courts may still acquit Littlefinger.

Summarize.

• knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    ADWD character spoilers
    Who do we think Septa Lemore is? We know she's 40ish, has given birth, and is connected to the Varys/Illyrio/Connington cabal.

1). Lyanna Stark. Supposed to be dead, but we all know that means jack shit. Could confirm R+ L=J
    2). Ashara Dayne. Also supposed to be dead. If R+L=J doesn't pan out, she could be Jon's mother
    3). Someone else who will turn out to be important
    4). Someone else who will not turn out to be important
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The Mountain wants to hang him anyway. Just to be sure.
    edited May 2013

The Mountain wants to hang him anyway. Just to be sure.

In a fair, just world, the Mountain-that-detects would have his own show. The episode of the week episodes would have the Mountain using the full range of his detective skills, hanging people until he solved the mystery in each episode. Like, "Is there gold hidden in the village?" "Is there silver? Gems?" "Is there food?" "Where is Lord Beric? Where did he go? How many men were with him?" And then, the show's overarching plot would feature the Mountain trying to hang men until he got to the bottom of the conspiracy to kill Jon Arryn.

Like the residents of Westeros, we do not live in a fair, just world.

Quotes from TWOP:
    What if Lysa killed Jon? Not because he was the Hand but because he was her husband. I don't know why she would decide to do that after so many years but aren't family members some of the first suspects? If this wasn't Game of Thrones but a procedural we would already have suspected her.
    Genius! Right! I thought about it before I went to bed (it's 2 am round here). And I thought about how funny it would be if Jon Arryn was killed by Lysa because of some household quarrels, like how long a child should be allowed to stay up at night, how long it should be breast-fed and similar ordinary husband-and-wife-stuff. Then the "around Lysa Tully, shouldn't LF be in the death pool?" question popped into my head and I almost had to throw up:

Why did the whole Stark Rebellion took place? It happened because Jon Arryn was murdered and Lysa Tully wrote a letter to Catelyn Tully that said the Lannisters killed him. As simple as that. With Ned's character, even without being Hand, he would have started an investigation, and by investigation, I mean civil war by Starkpidity. Other random factors helped, of course, like "incest porn makes you a cripple", but then again there was the attempt on Bran's life that made certain the Starks would go at the Lannister's throats. The knife made Catelyn go after Tyrion, starting the war on the Riverlands by the Lannisters.

Now, I don't think Lysa Tully is a schemer to pull this off. The plan is almost foolproof, but rather sophisticated. It has a different air about it, now, I ask you, who might pull something like this off? Who would know both Tully sisters well enough to get the "Lannister framing" letter from Lysa to be sent to Catelyn because he grew up with both of them, to convince Catelyn that it was Tyrion's knife in the assassination attempt, to have her go after Tyrion? Whose knife was it originally? Who is currently on his way to the Vale to marry Lysa Tully without fear for his safety there? And finally: cui bono?

Whole f******g s**t!!! I thought he was good at playing with the pieces that were thrown at him, but in fact, he might have planned the whole thing from the get go!!
    I don't know. Why would Lysa murder Jon? Well, we don't know much about her, but from season one I thought it was pretty clear the Lannisters had poisoned Jon Arryn because he was finding out about the twincest. But then it's Lysa, she's crazy, although she doesn't look like a schemer to me. Unless her craziness is all an act. But then, she's a very good actress!

And how could Littlefinger have ordered Bran's killing? He couldn't know Jaimie was going to throw him down a window and he was all the way in King's Landing when all of this happened. How could he know Bran was in bed? I know the guys has spies and all, but that's too much of a stress. Unless the guy is omnipresent as god, I see it very difficult. I don't like it when TV shows make the plots so utterly complicated trying to be smart that things just turn out ridiculously convoluted. The only people with enough reasons and opportunist at that time to want to kill Bran were Cersei and Jaimie. There is no way LF could have sent an assassin to the North, precisely when Bran was in a coma.

And maybe is because I have always seen Jojen's actor in roles where he plays a good kid, but I don't see anything remotely evil in him. Yeah he's weird and everything he says is ambiguous, but that's mostly the case with cryptic psychic people. It's part of their routine.

But hey, I could be wrong in all accounts. I'm not good at making spitballs.
    That's the beauty of it! Look, I almost never doubted the "Jaime and Cersei killed Jon Arryn" proposition in the first place because of the scenes at the start of S1. Jaime and Cersei talk about Jon's death in their very first scene, and we get a confirmation with Lysa's letter. However, in hindsight, Lysa is not really a reliable person in the first place and Jaime and Cersei's dialogue doesn't really provide any strong evidence against them.

When Jon Arryn started to investigate on the twincest, I don't think Jaime and Cersei where the first to notice, but Varys and Littlefinger. Cersei was in the dark about Ned's own investigation later (despite his very foolish approach to it), she only acted when Ned told her, while Varys and Littlefinger always knew exactly how much Ned had already discovered. When Cersei did some "good" move, usually another player had tipped her off (like Littlefinger did in the Ned betrayal or the Sansa situation, while for example she didn't manage to find Tyrion's real lover on her own).

I don't think Lysa is a schemer, on the opposite, she is totally clueless as shown in the Tyrion affair. She is so clueless that I cannot come up with an explanation how she could actually know who is behind the murder WITHOUT the help of one of the players? When Jon dies, does Lysa really have the network and the resources to investigate? Much more likely she met a person she trusts who told her what "happened" and provided some (fake) evidence, she then writes the letter to Catelyn and becomes totally paranoid of Lannisters, but very thankful to said trustworthy person at the same time. And that is almost identical to what Littlefinger did to Catelyn.

I don't think Lysa killed Jon, and I'm not even sure if Littlefinger did it or he just knew someone was about to kill him and made his move then (in construction evidence for Lysa to frame the Lannisters and warn her that her sister might be the next target -> Lysa warns Catelyn, civil war guaranteed).
    I guess the show could be imitating the Tudors, where Henry's sister kills the king of Portugal with a pillow, to be with her low-born lover.
    In this case, it goes a bit further since said sister inherits the title of Lord of the Vale and she was with Jon for a long time.
    Littlefinger does have that smug ''Lysa will accept'' face at the council. Littlefinger is no man to leave things on chance and he must have been in contact with Lysa all along, maybe lover when Jon was hand of the king. It makes sense because LF grew up with her, loving Catelyn. You know, Shakespearian love triangle. That explains why Lysa refused to go to war with Robb since she was in alliance with Lannisters all along. That explains why Tyrion got away: she offered a staged trial by combat, Bronn is her envoyé.

So, Littlefinger gave a false dagger to Catelyn to incriminate Tyrion to start the war. He also killed Jon Arryn and made Lysa sent a false letter to Catelyn to incriminate Lannisters in Jon Arryn death. The parralel is baffling.

Although it looks probable, I don't like it because it is the kind of plan where, suddenly, everything goes right for the evil mastermind, to shove in the face of the audience how manipulative he is. There are so many things that could go wrong and him be discovered but it didn't because you want to artificially build up a character like Littlefinger. I don't like it.

Very poor writting.

I love it when anyone says "Very poor writting."

The biggest problem the unspoiled at TWOP are having is that most aren't considering that the attacks on Bran are unrelated to the death of Jon Arryn; though they benefited Littlefinger, he in no way planned them.
    Shadowhope on
    steam_sig-400.png
    Bit heavy on the "romance" elements this episode. I don't need to hear about high school level drama between Wildlings. I already know Sansa and Tyrion aren't thrilled with the marriage.
    steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    That's really a pretty good pitch by Mr. Yunkai
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh look the Bear and the Maiden Fair... :) This season is all I hoped it would be.

Edit: The non book thread seems to be in a tiff about the Theon scenes... how I wish I could say that we do not know what is going to happen either just the end product.
    Jubal77 on
    Moo.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Episode 3.07 may as well have been titled Foreshadowing for book people.

What're the odds that Talisa was writing to her mother, 0%? Right, 0%. I wasn't onboard with her being a Lannister spy before, but that scene completely flipped my opinion.
    annnnnd there's the chain of gold for Shae. Perfectly setup to murder the emotions of the show watchers.

And Tormund! So nice of you to join us. HAR.
    Was the Blackfish at the Red Wedding and taken captive? I forget. I know they held Edmure until they figure out if the girl's pregnant.
    Bobble wrote: »
    Episode 3.07 may as well have been titled Foreshadowing for book people.

What're the odds that Talisa was writing to her mother, 0%? Right, 0%. I wasn't onboard with her being a Lannister spy before, but that scene completely flipped my opinion.
    annnnnd there's the chain of gold for Shae. Perfectly setup to murder the emotions of the show watchers.

And Tormund! So nice of you to join us. HAR.
    Was the Blackfish at the Red Wedding and taken captive? I forget. I know they held Edmure until they figure out if the girl's pregnant.

Blackfish has to one-line his way out so he can hold Riverrun against the Freys later.
    steam_sig.png