Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    My husband is an avid reader. He reads a lot more than I do. But he didn't like ASOIAF, even though he liked the show. He got about halfway through the first book. He didn't like the massive number of characters. He thought they were hard to remember. The TV show certainly cuts all the fat in terms of who you need to remember (even though the cast is still huge for a TV show.)

I'm not actually a big reader of fiction. I used to be, but now I am older, I feel like I have read it all before, at least where genre fiction is concerned. I like ASOIAF because it feels more like the history books I read. History has even less qualms than GRRM about suddenly killing an interesting character. I love the very insane complexity that my husband doesn't get on with.
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    It took me about 6 months to read the entire series to date. This was all on an iPad and with a newborn son to take care of.

I started reading a few chapters every day during lunch and before bed. I was pretty invested in it and I'm not a slow reader by any stretch but those of you saying you could finish it "in a couple hours a few times a week" are nuts.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    In the TV thread they're talking about first Cat screwing Robb, then how people who are at fault tend to get away while innocents suffer, and then they mention Cat screwing Ned.

But really, we all know that Cat is to blame for the entirety of bad things in the series all because she was a bitch to Petyr when they were kids. :P
    steam_sig.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    It took until the most recent episode for the AV Club's newbie reviewer to notice, and they're paid to do this. I don't think Sepinwall has. A few of the more obsessive people on various forums have gotten it. So yeah, it's a subtle thing. One of the cuts last week did make it pretty obvious though. From torture to Bolton with Jaime and Brienne or vice versa.

If there were no books, this would be something for the obsessive fan theorists to pick up. I think that since there *are* books, this really puts people off obsessively theorizing. Where's the fun, when you could be proved right or wrong with one glance at wikipedia?

I don't understand why obsessive show fans don't just read the books. If they have time to post on forums and theorize about shit, they have time to read the books. Hell, any loyal fan should try and do the same thing. Without a doubt the best fantasy novels since Lord of the Rings.

Because they are longer than "War and Peace", probably.

Reading for about an hour a night plus however much time I spend on the can in a given day I've managed to read 10 1/2 books of the Wheel of Time in ~5 months.

Granted that's a reread, so I can go a little quicker, but absent one chapter (some of Elayne's stupid succession bullshit) I've read every page. "I don't have time" isn't a particularly good excuse.
    1320673-1.png
    sig.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    InkSplat wrote: »
    In the TV thread they're talking about first Cat screwing Robb, then how people who are at fault tend to get away while innocents suffer, and then they mention Cat screwing Ned.

But really, we all know that Cat is to blame for the entirety of bad things in the series all because she was a bitch to Petyr when they were kids. :P
    I'm blaming Lyssa. She slept with him when he was delirious and he thought it was Cat. This gave him false hope that he could cling to instead of getting over her.
    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    My husband is an avid reader. He reads a lot more than I do. But he didn't like ASOIAF, even though he liked the show. He got about halfway through the first book. He didn't like the massive number of characters. He thought they were hard to remember. The TV show certainly cuts all the fat in terms of who you need to remember (even though the cast is still huge for a TV show.)

I'm not actually a big reader of fiction. I used to be, but now I am older, I feel like I have read it all before, at least where genre fiction is concerned. I like ASOIAF because it feels more like the history books I read. History has even less qualms than GRRM about suddenly killing an interesting character. I love the very insane complexity that my husband doesn't get on with.

This is pretty much the time when fantasy fiction is the least predictable actually. The 90s and onward it's been stretching it's legs in a serious way.
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    It took until the most recent episode for the AV Club's newbie reviewer to notice, and they're paid to do this. I don't think Sepinwall has. A few of the more obsessive people on various forums have gotten it. So yeah, it's a subtle thing. One of the cuts last week did make it pretty obvious though. From torture to Bolton with Jaime and Brienne or vice versa.

If there were no books, this would be something for the obsessive fan theorists to pick up. I think that since there *are* books, this really puts people off obsessively theorizing. Where's the fun, when you could be proved right or wrong with one glance at wikipedia?

I don't understand why obsessive show fans don't just read the books. If they have time to post on forums and theorize about shit, they have time to read the books. Hell, any loyal fan should try and do the same thing. Without a doubt the best fantasy novels since Lord of the Rings.

Because they are longer than "War and Peace", probably.

Reading for about an hour a night plus however much time I spend on the can in a given day I've managed to read 10 1/2 books of the Wheel of Time in ~5 months.

Granted that's a reread, so I can go a little quicker, but absent one chapter (some of Elayne's stupid succession bullshit) I've read every page. "I don't have time" isn't a particularly good excuse.

I have a lot of friends that just flat out don't like to read. They claim it's because of school, they were so worn down with required readings that they didn't enjoy they just relate reading to not having fun. So they simply don't do it. I'm the odd one out that reads for fun and has a small collection of books.

I read GoT in roughly 12 hours, at work. Time isn't the issue, some people just do not like to read. I'm sure those same people will cry foul when their kids score poorly on mandated reading tests, but whatever.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You have to like the book. I read the first 3 ASOIAF books on a weekend. But I've never finished the modestly-sized first Malazan book, because it dragged so much.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    You have to like the book. I read the first 3 ASOIAF books on a weekend. But I've never finished the modestly-sized first Malazan book, because it dragged so much.

To tangent slightly, I highly recommend starting the Malazan series with the fourth volume. It's divided into two books. The first of these follows a single protagonist (and his buddies) on his journey from a mountain fastness to the lands of men. Finish that "book", and then (if the world still seems interesting), pick up Gardens (suffer through it) and then read the rest in release order.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

To tangent slightly, I highly recommend starting the Malazan series with the fourth volume. It's divided into two books. The first of these follows a single protagonist (and his buddies) on his journey from a mountain fastness to the lands of men. Finish that "book", and then (if the world still seems interesting), pick up Gardens (suffer through it) and then read the rest in release order.

Thats an interesting way to start reading the Malazan series. Most commonly I see people reccommending starting with book 2. But its almost universally agreed that Gardens is the worst and you have to slog through it but they get better.
    TtH is worse.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    it was about punishing those who had challenged his authority. if he hadn't done anything about it then his other bannermen would have not reason to respect or obey him. its also worth remembering that Robb doesn't have the same luxury that Ned had. Ned was charged with up holding the King's justice, everything he did was on someone else's behalf. Robb can't make that excuse nor can he call on someone else to back him up when he makes an unpopular decision.

if anything i think this may be the point where things take a turn for the better for Robb. he screwed up when he got married, his mother freeing Jamie was always going to a huge problem and the Karstark's leaving have depleted his forces but if he can get Walder Frey back on his side and can make a successful move against Casterly Rock then it was change the balance of the war in a major way.

Whatever could go wrong? ;-)

edit: This was a post from the tv thread.
    Harry Dresden on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    it was about punishing those who had challenged his authority. if he hadn't done anything about it then his other bannermen would have not reason to respect or obey him. its also worth remembering that Robb doesn't have the same luxury that Ned had. Ned was charged with up holding the King's justice, everything he did was on someone else's behalf. Robb can't make that excuse nor can he call on someone else to back him up when he makes an unpopular decision.

if anything i think this may be the point where things take a turn for the better for Robb. he screwed up when he got married, his mother freeing Jamie was always going to a huge problem and the Karstark's leaving have depleted his forces but if he can get Walder Frey back on his side and can make a successful move against Casterly Rock then it was change the balance of the war in a major way.

Had to double check which thread we were in, haha.

Loving the predictions that Frey tosses them out and the Starks head to the Eyrie.
  • SotextliSotextli Registered User regular
    Haha I was just about to post that.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    just to avoid confusion, we should label it clearly when we quote from the other thread
    NO.
    GaryO wrote: »

That's an interesting way to start reading the Malazan series. Most commonly I see people recommending starting with book 2. But its almost universally agreed that Gardens is the worst and you have to slog through it but they get better.

The reason I suggest doing it that way is three-fold:
    1) All the others (iirc) "jump" between two or three groups of characters. House of Chains, book 1 sticks with the one guy.
    2) it's either before or during the events of Gardens of the Moon.
    3) When reading Deadhouse Gates, the reader will encounter a familiar face.
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    Part of me wishes that I had never read the books and had my GoT virginity popped from the show instead. The show is really awesome and has the benefit of being able to use Martin's material as a "first draft." In a lot of ways the show is tighter and more dramatic than the books, I think. At this point, if you love the show but haven't read the books, reading them would almost be like spoiling it all for yourself.

I have a question about Littlefinger and Varys. Isn't Varys completely different in the show? I would have pegged Book-Varys as similar to show Varys up until I read the scene at the end of ADWD. But now Book-Varys explicitly said he wants to sow chaos in the realm to better pave the way for his plot, which makes Show-Varys' lawful order streak seem like a big departure. Unless that streak in the show turns out to be a feint.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    I always thought GRRM did a good job with the characters. I was always bad remembering character names but the non-Stark characters you need to remember are

0) POV characters - their name is right at the top

1)Super hero like names:
    The Hound. The Mountain That Rides. The Knight of the Flowers. The King Beyond the Wall. Littlefinger. The Imp. Kingslayer. The Onion Knight. The Greatjon. Hot Pie. Barristan the Bold.

2) Have very distinct names. I couldn't have told you the guy's name was Jaqen H'ghar but when I read it I knew who it was.

3) Orbit fairly exclusively around one character. Bronn is pretty standard but has a strong personality and is always with Tyrion. Same with Jorah (Dae), or Syrio/Gendry (Arya).

There are exceptions but he does a good job keeping it straight.
    knitdan wrote: »
    You know what baby name trend I hope stops?

Taking a word or name and making it backwards.
    My wife has a coworker (female) named Yrag.

She also recently took care of a baby named Arya and thought it might be GoT related. Then the mother came in with a Pokemon shirt and they discussed PAXEast and it was confirmed.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Nah, both want what they see as best for the common-people. Book-Varys only forments some chaos at the end of ADWD to weaken the Lannisters and Tyrells enough that Aegon can beat them easily.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It's like 4 o clock in Westereos

time for the Tyrells to change sides again
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
    PantsB wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    You know what baby name trend I hope stops?

Taking a word or name and making it backwards.
    My wife has a coworker (female) named Yrag.

She also recently took care of a baby named Arya and thought it might be GoT related. Then the mother came in with a Pokemon shirt and they discussed PAXEast and it was confirmed.

That sounds like a really terrible reference to menstruation to me.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    At this point I feel like the Tyrells might just convince Tommen to surrender to Aegon.
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Bobble wrote: »

A field of roses will lean whichever direction the wind blows.

shit, is this from the books?
    Mike Danger on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Littlefinger may not have the world saving ambitions of Ozymandias, but in other ways he fits in just fine.

The Hound and the Comedian are a pretty good match, as well. They both see their world for it is and as a result don't give a shit.

I'd put Bronn in the same mindset.

not... explicitly? As far as I can remember.

It's a fairly accurate statement, though.
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    shryke wrote: »
    Nah, both want what they see as best for the common-people. Book-Varys only forments some chaos at the end of ADWD to weaken the Lannisters and Tyrells enough that Aegon can beat them easily.

Yeah, I still believe in Varys. Everyone seems to jump on Aegon *gasp* enjoying combat to mean he's going to be a terrible king, but as far as plans to make a good king go, Varys really has the best. In fact, he's the only person who has a plan to get a good king on the throne. So I'm rooting for him, he has the best interests of the most people at heart.

And if he turns out to be crazy or evil then I'm rooting for Victarion because fuck everything.
    Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular

not... explicitly? As far as I can remember.

It's a fairly accurate statement, though.

I wasn't consciously quoting anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was in the text and I was subconsciously remembering it.
    Behemoth wrote: »

Yeah, I still believe in Varys. Everyone seems to jump on Aegon *gasp* enjoying combat to mean he's going to be a terrible king, but as far as plans to make a good king go, Varys really has the best. In fact, he's the only person who has a plan to get a good king on the throne. So I'm rooting for him, he has the best interests of the most people at heart.

And if he turns out to be crazy or evil then I'm rooting for Victarion because fuck everything.

Varys has good intentions but his means are no less nasty then anyone elses.

Plus, Aegon displays none of the traits Varys thinks he does. He's not gonna be the king Varys hoped for.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

Basically Varys wants to keep the realm intact and stable, and just get the Targs (and/or blackfyres?)(and/or fake-targs-who-are-actually-just-Illyrio's-kid?) in charge. But he wants to do it as cleanly and neatly as possible. Not that he wouldn't keep the civil war going if needed and kill a bunch more peasants, but if he can avoid it he will. Like Varys is never going to have a, "Me! It was me all along, mwuahahahaha!" moment. Even if all his plans pass he'll still be a fairly minor footnote most likely.

For Littlefinger causing the chaos is almost as enjoyable as profiting from it, because fuck those guys I'll show them! It's almost less about wanting the crown itself and more about it being a symbol to everyone that he won.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Hahah, yeah, this was just delicious. I can't wait for more episodes.
    steam_sig.png
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Hunts Vegas, TXRegistered User regular

I think I felt the same way at that point in reading Storm. "Okay, everything has gone to shit, Robb's due to rebound any minute now... no, just some more badness, maybe in the next... 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards.' FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    Honestly Varys has been just as much about sowing chaos as LF. He is just doing it so he can get Aegon on the throne. He was the one who brought down the Targayren dynasty by probably feeding Aerys information to make him paranoid. He and Ilyrio plotted the Dothraki invasion that didn't end up happening, but they planned for it to happen. I believe he poisoned Tywin and killed him (Tyrion pulled the trigger but Varys already killed Tywin regardless) to destabilize KL, and just as Kevan was about to bring some stability back he kills him too.

Again, Varys might be doing it for what he considers a "greater good". But his method has been the cause of great strife and bloodshed.
  • SicariiSicarii Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Honestly Varys has been just as much about sowing chaos as LF. He is just doing it so he can get Aegon on the throne. He was the one who brought down the Targayren dynasty by probably feeding Aerys information to make him paranoid. He and Ilyrio plotted the Dothraki invasion that didn't end up happening, but they planned for it to happen. I believe he poisoned Tywin and killed him (Tyrion pulled the trigger but Varys already killed Tywin regardless) to destabilize KL, and just as Kevan was about to bring some stability back he kills him too.

Again, Varys might be doing it for what he considers a "greater good". But his method has been the cause of great strife and bloodshed.

Wait, what?
    korrasig2.jpg
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    http://boiledleather.com/post/24196234491/tywin-lannister-dead-man-shitting

I'm of the opinion that while Oberyn provided the poison, Varys probably delivered it.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So, Tywin had to take a dump and it smelled like dumps do, as did a rotting corpse, therefore poison! That's pretty thin.
    enlightenedbum on
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    So, Tywin had to take a dump and it smelled like dumps do, as did a rotting corpse, therefore poison! That's pretty thin.

I can kinda see it, the biggest point being Tyrion knowing he was in the bathroom after he knew what the poison did. So its possible. I can't help but feel like Doran would've known and told the Sand Snakes though if that did happen.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Besides anything else, killing Tywin with poison when you, a famous poisoner, are known to be in the city seems like awfully poor planning, even for Oberyn.
    Kana on