Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think the main challenge with the question is figuring out exactly what the point of life becomes when you have the option to relive moments or the entire thing.

Would you just try to build your ideal life? What would you do afterwards, then? Just let yourself die?

I think you'd eventually either realize the futility of chasing that perfect life or, after achieving it several times over, find that the next thing to do is to apply the ability to building not just a better life but also a better world.
    Robos A Go Go on
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Wtf, broar, please don't tell me neverwinter levels skills like eve online

they do

Fuck. I was gonna download it when I got home!
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Personally, I would Groundhog Day so hard that I would probably lose touch with normal, continuous life.

And maybe develop weird attitudes towards other people, since I'd know that they'd be reset 24 hours after every interaction.

But I figure I'd gain a lot of knowledge in the meantime, and that would help me learn how to use the ability more effectively,

And then I could do the other thing and accumulate lots of life experience before going back to start.

I always wondered if it was like a scale, the mechanics of the alternate reality "groundhog day". He finally advanced when he became a good enough person. But could he have advanced if he'd become a really, really bad person? It seems the experience was designed to teach him a lesson. What if he'd gone on a crazy murder spree, or burned down every building in town? Would whatever was controlling the day decide he was a lost cause, and let the day advance with him being evil instead of good?
    h1DI1.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular

they do

Well its only crafting skills, not actually useful stuff
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    hah jake that's funny, i like the opposite kind of strap- cloth or leather, not metal

@organichu I think I just mentally equate the metal band with expensive and have a weird mental thing with watches needing to look expensive

The second part at least is SKFM's fault
    G2Dcf.jpg
    Personally, I would Groundhog Day so hard that I would probably lose touch with normal, continuous life.

And maybe develop weird attitudes towards other people, since I'd know that they'd be reset 24 hours after every interaction.

But I figure I'd gain a lot of knowledge in the meantime, and that would help me learn how to use the ability more effectively,

And then I could do the other thing and accumulate lots of life experience before going back to start.

I always wondered if it was like a scale, the mechanics of the alternate reality "groundhog day". He finally advanced when he became a good enough person. But could he have advanced if he'd become a really, really bad person? It seems the experience was designed to teach him a lesson. What if he'd gone on a crazy murder spree, or burned down every building in town? Would whatever was controlling the day decide he was a lost cause, and let the day advance with him being evil instead of good?

The original script had some explanation about a jilted ex who was also a witch, or something like that.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

The original script had some explanation about a jilted ex who was also a witch, or something like that.

oh wow. I'm so glad they cut that.
    NO.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »

oh wow. I'm so glad they cut that.

me too
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I think the main challenge with the question is figuring out exactly what the point of life becomes when you have the option to relive moments or the entire thing.

Would you just try to build your ideal life? What would you do afterwards, then? Just let yourself die?

I think you'd eventually either realize the futility of chasing that perfect life or, after achieving it several times over, find that the next thing to do is to apply the ability to building not just a better life but also a better world.

i don't really think that there is a perfect life. just different things you can do.

and while it's a nice thought that you'd eventually dedicate yourself to making a better world, like bill murray did in groundhog day, it doesn't make sense. if his 24-hour life had no meaning outside of its frame, the 24-hour world it inhabited didn't either.

they do

You didn't say that!
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    So I had an experience coming home from electro.

I pulled up to a red light and a car with two youngish men pulled up next to me. They talked between themselves a bit and then I heard one say "holler at her!" and the other say "That's a guy, dude." And then they talked some more and I couldn't hear it.

So that whole thing makes me feel a little weird. I should probably expect more of it.

And so it begins!

G e n d e r l o l s
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    hah jake that's funny, i like the opposite kind of strap- cloth or leather, not metal

@organichu I think I just mentally equate the metal band with expensive and have a weird mental thing with watches needing to look expensive

The second part at least is SKFM's fault

metal straps are corny. go leather.

they do

You didn't say that!

my bad bro
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I pulled up to a red light and a car with two youngish men pulled up next to me. They talked between themselves a bit and then I heard one say "holler at her!" and the other say "That's a guy, dude." And then they talked some more and I couldn't hear it.

So that whole thing makes me feel a little weird. I should probably expect more of it.

And so it begins!

G e n d e r l o l s

Gender is a party and everyone's invited!

Even though I keep trying to keep them out.
    I still do not have Neverwinter downloaded, but apparently leaving it on all day got me 99% there. Whoo!

yeah this is going to happen a whole lot. it's going to be the center of your interactions with new people.

a whole lot of people are going to automatically assume that you're trying to trick them or something. we're all brought up with expectations about what gender means and have a hard time getting past them.

it's not nice, but it's the way it is.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

i don't really think that there is a perfect life. just different things you can do.

and while it's a nice thought that you'd eventually dedicate yourself to making a better world, like bill murray did in groundhog day, it doesn't make sense. if his 24-hour life had no meaning outside of its frame, the 24-hour world it inhabited didn't either.

if I knew I had a reset button, I'd try a ton more risky things

NO.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    didn't someone mention that you can update the neverwinter crafting skills via phone app or web page?
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    edited May 2013
    I still do not have Neverwinter downloaded, but apparently leaving it on all day got me 99% there. Whoo!

I had the most success downloading from the filefront mirror

@Sarksus
    bloodyroarxx on

But the 24 hour period gained meaning as soon as he progressed past that day, giving lasting consequences to everything he did to help those people.

So if you were trying to make the world better, you'd eventually have to commit to your decisions and stop using your weird power, effectively sacrificing yourself to the hope that you made the right decisions and that everything would now turn out for the best even after you died and could no longer watch over everything.

they do

You didn't say that!

my bad bro

I'm gonna tear up a box in anger

"okay, but this time I can make that jump for sure."

yeah this is going to happen a whole lot. it's going to be the center of your interactions with new people.

a whole lot of people are going to automatically assume that you're trying to trick them or something. we're all brought up with expectations about what gender means and have a hard time getting past them.

it's not nice, but it's the way it is.

Yeah I know. I always knew. It just sucks to start running into it.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I got the neverwinter files via their official torrent. Was getting upwards of a megabyte / s.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    didn't someone mention that you can update the neverwinter crafting skills via phone app or web page?

REALLY?! please I hope this is ture!

I had the most success downloading from the filefront mirror

Sarksus

I just turned on a torrent and left.
    Also wtf I mad

Earlier I used Skype on my iPhone because I'm not home

Motherfucking Skype on iPhone using a shitty data connection that is ocassionally lost completely works better than Skype on my Mac and PC which uses a 20mbps connection

WAT DA FUK

TaniDaReal___Fursuit_by_Fursuiters_club.jpg
    Still as much fun as Im having Neverwinter needs a better weapon for the Cleric
    Also wtf I mad

Motherfucking Skype on iPhone using a shitty data connection that is ocassionally lost completely works better than Skype on my Mac and PC which uses a 20mbps connection

WAT DA FUK

trolld

Also star command kind of sucks. I forget if I said it before.

Still gotta try Eclipse though. Also depending on how grognard you want to get, battle of the bulge and especially battle academy are good but pricey for ipad.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I had to send Aaron to the 24hr pharmacy cause the infection is in my kidneys now :(
    I had to send Aaron to the 24hr pharmacy cause the infection is in my kidneys now :(

Wait what :c
    A save slot would be better than condoms
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Today I rolled my ankle when I had to climb a fence to get an arrow that went way off course (see my earlier post re: worst day of kyudo I've had in a while)

but I also participated in some amateur community assistance by fixing a waterway cover that had apparently been knocked into said waterway on the edge of an old lady's farm plot

tomorrow is a public holiday and if I can, I am going to go eat the nine-tier Evangelion burger

but for now, gonna play some vidja and think about burning Cathars
    turtlesig.jpg
    Also wtf I mad

WAT DA FUK

trolld

Also star command kind of sucks. I forget if I said it before.

Still gotta try Eclipse though. Also depending on how grognard you want to get, battle of the bulge and especially battle academy are good but pricey for ipad.

Yeah I didn't see that but I figured!

Eclipse is boss tho. Hope they intend to port the expansion. Plasma missiles are kind of crazy in the base game.

And by kind of crazy I mean I set it and forget it and genocide happens shortly thereafter.
    Asymmetrical armor is stupid. Why would anyone ever want two radically differently-sized shoulder pads as they went into melee combat.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    If you don't preserve any extra information from your save then it barely even counts as happening; you're just going to relive those moments and make the same decisions

Or, if there is a random determinant factor because thought is affected by micro-level random fluctuations or whatever, you'll be basically rolling the dice without any knowledge that it is any different

Having knowledge would make it a really weird, almost hellish punishment kind of experience
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular

Wait what :c

Bladder infection that stems from faulty thyroid

Cass, you should be at the hospital if its spreading
    If you cheat on someone and then reload a save, did you still cheat.

Also how does your save affect others. Does each person essentially have their own universe.
This discussion has been closed.