Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    My mother once told me that if she thought I was gay, she would church it out of me.

but

Europe

Britain/Ireland don't count.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Do we have any northfield, minnesota chatters? I'm heading there to visit my sister in a week or so, and am looking for hotel recommendations.
    Tamin on
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure it was my mother's idea of a joke

also she has boycotted going to church because of the recent sex abuse scandals and not wanting to affiliate with an organisation that has defended child rapists

i'm pretty happy over that
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Cinco de Milo

descendents_logo.jpg
    Tav on
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    So, I woke up to a rather unfortunate PM that I have been charged with sharing with the forums at large.

Atomika/Atomic Ross won't be around any more. She had a long discussion with her wife, who was hurt that she'd come out to me, a complete stranger, long before her. In the interest of keeping the marriage and working on honesty, she felt the need to give up both the forums at large and me as a friend. So don't hold your breath waiting for her - she's not going to be coming back any time soon, if ever. It's unfortunate, but I don't feel it's fair to blame anyone for this. I certainly don't, even as the party who has most license to. Sometimes shit happens, and I would be lying if I said I hadn't considered this an unfortunate possibility.

I doubt she's coming back to read PMs, so if anyone has any questions, it's my job, as the one who knew Atomika best (and was literally put in charge of letting people know about the self-imposed exile), to answer them. Feel free to ask here or message me, as my inbox is always open.
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    My mother once told me that if she thought I was gay, she would church it out of me.

but

Europe

Most of Britain is hardly churchy.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    catching up on chat

congrats on the lesbianism mim

bummer about atomika but i can understand where her wife is coming from
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Bogart wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

but

Europe

Most of Britain is hardly churchy.

yes yes we know you're all godless sodomites i watch fox news
    Wait Mim is a lesbian now?
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    So, I woke up to a rather unfortunate PM that I have been charged with sharing with the forums at large.

Atomika/Atomic Ross won't be around any more. She had a long discussion with her wife, who was hurt that she'd come out to me, a complete stranger, long before her. In the interest of keeping the marriage and working on honesty, she felt the need to give up both the forums at large and me as a friend. So don't hold your breath waiting for her - she's not going to be coming back any time soon, if ever. It's unfortunate, but I don't feel it's fair to blame anyone for this. I certainly don't, even as the party who has most license to. Sometimes shit happens, and I would be lying if I said I hadn't considered this an unfortunate possibility.

I doubt she's coming back to read PMs, so if anyone has any questions, it's my job, as the one who knew Atomika best (and was literally put in charge of letting people know about the self-imposed exile), to answer them. Feel free to ask here or message me, as my inbox is always open.

Wait, Atomika was Atomic Ross?

Yes.

Man you missed a lot :P
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

That is unfortunate.

Though I suppose coming out as trans is likely to put any relationship under strain. I'm sure you'll pass on our collective best wishes if it seems appropriate.
    Wait Mim is a lesbian now?

well she will be once she watches that netflix show
    Mim had better be a lesbian or become one.

Eventually chat will be the gayest place on earth.

People will complain that my avatar is practically grayscale compared to the glorious rainbow of chat.
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Wait, Shivahn is secretly a sociology grad student using the forums as her thesis on trans issues?
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    That explains why I was included in the PM, because I had no idea who Atomika was but enjoyed Ross's posts immensely.

Man, that's too bad.
    japan wrote: »

That is unfortunate.

Though I suppose coming out as trans is likely to put any relationship under strain. I'm sure you'll pass on our collective best wishes if it seems appropriate.

Yeah, though I think the added strain of "Shivahn knows all the things" is probably bigger >.>

I feel a little guilty about that, but know I really shouldn't. Life does not present people with fair or good choices sometimes.

I'll be sure to pass them on.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

People will complain that my avatar is practically grayscale compared to the glorious rainbow of chat.

http://mlkshk.com/r/9TH
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular

Yes.

Man you missed a lot :P
    this post just blew my mind

sigvf.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    @Shivahn

Give Atomika/Ross our best wishes. I bet this will be tough on her. Just let her know we are thinking about her.
    falasig.png
    I was all "Atomika" - I know the name, but I don't remember interacting with this person very much. Hmm.

But it being Ross makes waaaay more sense as to why I was involved.
    sigvf.jpg
    Wait, Shivahn is secretly a sociology grad student using the forums as her thesis on trans issues?

Shh

You have no idea the gold mine I've stumbled upon.
    Maybe I should give The L Word another shot.

I really liked Shane, at least.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    bummer about atomika but i can understand where her wife is coming from

Which page was this on?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    Yeah I will pass on everyone's best wishes, don't worry.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    @Shivahn

Transitioning is a trying time but I know Atomika will rock it. Get it girl!

@Mim
    ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

I love chat so much.
    3FMmC.jpg
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I only take dress shirts out of my rotation due to damage or falling laughably out of fashion

How many do you keep in rotation though? I have nearly 40 dress shirts (just dress shirts, not button ups I wear casually) and want to get rid of all but 15 or so.

I'm looking to build out to 28 semi-casual/dress shirts (and maybe 7 non-dress that I'd only really wear every now and again). Also, aiming at 14 pair pants though I'd like to have most of those be doubles from bespoke suits. They won't be, because money, but I'd like them to be.

Basically I want to have a month's size wardrobe to reduce wear and tear and with quantities that are divisible by 7 so laundry days are Sundays. Probably cut everything by ~3rds in order to be able to dress fairly seasonably, too.

I've spoken with some bespoke shops and they try to sell you on 3 weeks worth of everything so that you can have one week home, one at the cleaner, one coming back from the cleaner, but you should NOT be having your clothing cleaned everytime you wear it. You will destroy it that way. If pants/jackets don't actually get dirty, they should only be cleaned a few times a year, total. And with a sufficient stock of shirts (15 is three weeks for me) and always making sure to wear undershirts, you should be able to go 2 months or so without cleaning your dress shirts too. Having shirts laundered destroys them over time.

Casual clothing actually needs to stand up to more wear IMO. You are more likely RJ wear it in situations where you swear, and when you clean it, its in the washing machine at home. I actually recommend having 10+ casual shirts for each season, if you are buying good, classic pieces and want them to last. But then I also don't like looking like I am always wearing the same clothes, but u think some people care a lot less about that.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular

We could have a gay parade and subsequent gay orgy and we still wouldn't be half as LGBT-friendly as SE++ appears to be
    Ross and I had very, very different views on film, but he was always a joy to read, even if I disagreed with fundamental aspects of his dissections.

Gonna miss him. Well, her, now!

sigvf.jpg
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    I love Ralph Lauren boxers and pajamas. So comfortable, so soft, hold up so well.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

That is unfortunate.

Yeah, though I think the added strain of "Shivahn knows all the things" is probably bigger >.>

I feel a little guilty about that, but know I really shouldn't. Life does not present people with fair or good choices sometimes.

I can see that, I suppose.

At the same time I can see why someone would want to explore an issue like this with a (relatively) disinterested bystander first out of concern for their relationship - my understanding is that a common feature of the trans experience is a lengthy period of questioning the nature of the desires/thoughts/issues that are being experienced.

Of course, there may be more to it than that, and I dont want to pry. I hope they can work it out.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    The pulled pork happening in my oven smells delicious. Everybody be jealous.
    I have like, three casual shirts that I wear with probably 50 different band shirts

i have two formal shirts for work

That is unfortunate.

I can see that, I suppose.

At the same time I can see why someone would want to explore an issue like this with a (relatively) disinterested bystander first out of concern for their relationship - my understanding is that a common feature of the trans experience is a lengthy period of questioning the nature of the desires/thoughts/issues that are being experienced.

Of course, there may be more to it than that, and I dont want to pry. I hope they can work it out.

It's why I don't really feel hurt at all. It sucks, but I understand every person involved's feelings, they're all natural and I'd feel the same way in all the positions.

I hope it all works out too.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Man, I still love A Pimp Named Slickback.
    falasig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    if this trend continues i might have to become a violent, thretening homophobe and transphobic menace in order to restore balance
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i'm working on my most hateful insults as we speak, scribbling notes in the bathroom like b-rabbit at a rap battle
This discussion has been closed.