Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacob, I'm stumped trying to figure out BJ's long term aspiration. And I assume "Wake up each morning" is not an acceptable short term one?

Justin and I were talking about this yesterday and we thought it made sense that one of a character's goals could be "persistent" - something that they do fairly often but could get Beats for over and over because it keeps coming up and is part of their core concept. Like Sinon could have "keep magic from Sleepers" as an aspiration and get a beat every time he burns an evil tome or brainwashes a witness. "Waking up each morning" might be a bit of a gimme since BJ has the power of being a PC but maybe "keep the cabal safe" or something? Fighting monsters or working on the sanctum security would definitely fit that and would give beats.

Makes sense. I do actually have a short term aspiration for him, and a mid-term one but the long term one is likely to end up "Keeping the Cabal" safe. Also, charging dudes so hard they die and go flying is great.

Oh rad, did you roll a great weapon fighter?

That game is going to run so much better for me after Tuesday when the new card shows up.

Guardian Fighter.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    FF VI has so much depth, both in game play and story telling. It has to be the pinnacle of the jRPG craft. Look at the amazing attention to detail with a minor character like Shadow:
    You rarely have to use him, but use him enough and stay in in and you will be treated to 4 seperate dream flashback sequences. It's heavily hinted that Relm is his daughter, and amazingly, Relm and shadow are the only characters that can equip the memento ring. So amazing.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    FF VI has so much depth, both in game play and story telling. It has to be the pinnacle of the jRPG craft. Look at the amazing attention to detail with a minor character like Shadow:
    You rarely have to use him, but use him enough and stay in in and you will be treated to 4 seperate dream flashback sequences. It's heavily hinted that Relm is his daughter, and amazingly, Relm and shadow are the only characters that can equip the memento ring. So amazing.

Yeah it has a lot of subtleties.
    Like Edgar rigging the coin toss for the kingdom and not telling Sabin.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Could never figue out how to do Sabins blitz thing. Rented that game so many times as a kid only to get stuck at the same place each time.

It took me forever to get the angle-directions correctly on the directional-pad. I was definitely a great game for challenging mechanics at the beginning.

I dont think i ever figured out when to make the inputs.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
    Shivahn wrote: »

Have you ever not gotten some characters in the world of Ruin? It changes the ending a lot. Skipping Locke or Terra has the biggest impact. Honestly, those alternates as so good it almost feels like you aren't supposed to recruit either of them.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Sup folks!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I never did finish FFVI. I got to around the Opera scene before getting bored.
    Seriously, what game has that kind of attention to detail? It's the only Japanese rpg I put on the level of Torment or Fallout.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Seriously, what game has that kind of attention to detail? It's the only Japanese rpg I put on the level of Torment or Fallout.

Not an FFX-2 fan?
    Has anyone beaten FFVI without Sabin? I've done it with just Celes, Edgar, Sabin and Setzer.

Have you ever not gotten some characters in the world of Ruin? It changes the ending a lot. Skipping Locke or Terra has the biggest impact. Honestly, those alternates as so good it almost feels like you aren't supposed to recruit either of them.

I have not ever skipped WoR characters, but I have youtubed the ending without them and... yeah. It's different. Without Locke, Celes' part is just : (

Not an FFX-2 fan?

I actually never beat it, but I thought it was fun. I think it gets a bad rap it doesn't deserve.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    FF6 is brilliant but I would object to it having gameplay depth

Mostly because it was very easy to break the game with Espers and having everyone learn Ultima

I have not ever skipped WoR characters, but I have youtubed the ending without them and... yeah. It's different. Without Locke, Celes' part is just : (

I like the conviction and strength she shows. At the time, having a female character be that strong and confident was ground breaking.

Not an FFX-2 fan?

I actually never beat it, but I thought it was fun. I think it gets a bad rap it doesn't deserve.

I thought the gameplay was a lot of fun, but the story... not very inspired. That's true of most FFs, FFX-2 is the biggest offender IIRC. FF13-2 is pretty bad, too, if only because it's nonsense garbage.
    Haha, just fought Zeigfried.

You know how he starts with that eight hit thing? And is a pushover?

If you have a black belt equipped then someone can retort and cut even that short >.>
    FF6 is brilliant but I would object to it having gameplay depth

Mostly because it was very easy to break the game with Espers and having everyone learn Ultima

There are a billon ways to break the game, like genji glove + offering + 2 atma weapons. The game is not well balanced, but the characters each have unique skills that make then play totally different from each other, which I love.

Not an FFX-2 fan?

I thought the gameplay was a lot of fun, but the story... not very inspired. That's true of most FFs, FFX-2 is the biggest offender IIRC. FF13-2 is pretty bad, too, if only because it's nonsense garbage.

I think 4, 6, 7 and 8 are all good from a story perspective. I have not played much of 12, and never played 13 at all.

Really, FF6, FFT and Xenogears are the best games Square ever made from a story telling standpoint though, IMO.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The game is probably more challenging when you don't obsessively get every item and esper and character and secret, also
    ITT (and recent ones): it is revealed that while SKFM may be a heartless, out of touch rich guy, more than anything, he's a huge RPG nerd.

The game is probably more challenging when you don't obsessively get every item and esper and character and secret, also

Ha

My OCD makes the game pretty simple.

I have even tried playing where I never entered the item, equipment or magic menus and did not buy anything. Still wasn't challenging (but I guess it would be if I didn't know the game so well).

edited May 2013
    My OCD also makes the game a complete jerk sometimes.

Ragnarok sword or magicite?

WHY DO I HAVE TO PICK I LOVE YOU BOTH

(Well I love the Illumina anyway.)
    Shivahn on

Are you going to do the paladin shield?

I am also totally gonna make a Perler Atma sometime.
    Atma.PNG
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    ITT (and recent ones): it is revealed that while SKFM may be a heartless, out of touch rich guy, more than anything, he's a huge RPG nerd.

i can definitely see it
    poor and struggling in life? you just aren't grinding hard enough
    G2Dcf.jpg

Are you going to do the paladin shield?

Duh :P
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, I never beat Chrono Trigger either, and I got to the end of that game with just the last dungeon to go.
    All right time to kick some train ass.
    That was fast.

I managed to suplex it three times before it died to that, some dispatches, and a few counterattacks.
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Couscous wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, I never beat Chrono Trigger either, and I got to the end of that game with just the last dungeon to go.

Wow, you missed out man, the second play-through after beating the game was just as fun.

e: cuz i'm spel gud
    thatassemblyguy on
    I had a Chrono Trigger ROM back in my 14 year old "fuck it, my $5/week allowance ain't gonna buy shit, I'm going to pirate everything" days. I set the emulator to go super fast, and then watched a couple of movies while I grinded for the equivalent of something like 20 hours. Of course, my characters were all pretty fucking godly after all that. I beat Lavos the first time I fought him (a story battle that you're supposed to lose) leading me to the dev room ending. I got confused as hell, thought it was a shitty game, and didn't pick it up again for a few years.

Wow, you missed out man, the second play-through after betting the game was just as fun.

Wow, you missed out man, the second play-through after betting the game was just as fun.

Most endings ever.

• MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Holy fuck, Cabin in the Woods?
    spoilerish
    Ancients? Cthullu? WTF!
    falasig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

Chrono Trigger > Final Fantasy 6
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Holy fuck, Cabin in the Woods?
    spoilerish
    Ancients? Cthullu? WTF!

It is the best movie.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Most endings ever.

I made a point of getting all of them.

Right now, I'm working through Sengoku Basara 3 - finished Ieyasu's story, and have the first two of Kanbe's endings.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    I am also totally gonna make a Perler Ultima sometime.
    Atma.PNG

Dont encourage their shitty translaton
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I got a mega sunburn today. Whoooops. Got a bunch of geocaches though!
    3FMmC.jpg

Not an FFX-2 fan?

I think 4, 6, 7 and 8 are all good from a story perspective. I have not played much of 12, and never played 13 at all.

Really, FF6, FFT and Xenogears are the best games Square ever made from a story telling standpoint though, IMO.

Too bad its only half a game

also play FF12 NOW

ifo you can track down a copy of the International Zodiac Job System version you are much better off.
This discussion has been closed.