Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Shivahn if there's one thing I know about ladies it's that they can do any physical labor. I believe in you.

Ok, true, in general.

But like she had me picking up trees the storm felled last night.

It was not exactly light labor!
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    For all the shit I give TNC about being a date farmer. These things are p. delicious. Just gotta source them from a non-Borat country.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    You know what's bullshit? Bills. Why aren't we in a post-scarcity economy yet?

because such a thing is an impossibility and was always ludicrous
    xlh6c3.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I'm close to broke somebody buy me a lady

Silly Abdhy, you can't buy ladies.

You can rent 'em, though.

oh you most certainly can.
    xlh6c3.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    shivahn don't blame the hormones

you are just weak

*bends iron bar over knee*
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

you are just weak

That's not Iron, Chu...

that's rubber.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    My neighbor keeps having me do manual labor for her.

It is uh

I am not suited for that at this point. But don't want to be out.

So there is a lot of picking up things too heavy for me now.

Do the hormones really have such a dramatic and quick effect on your strength?

I've been on testosterone blockers for a full year :P

And estrogen for three months.

It has been a while!

I'm obviously underestimating how much hormones affect muscle mass.

Anyway, just hurt your back then you'll have a good excuse to not help carry heavy things.

I'd suggest trying to move a pool table for that. Apparently they contain slabs of granite which makes them deceptively heavy.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    In The Future of Our Schools, union organizer Lois Weiner describes the choice made by American unions in the 1960s to use their political power exclusively to obtain health care coverage for members without fighting for universal health care. “It’s not common knowledge,” she writes, “but several decades ago the most powerful industrial unions in the United States had internal debates about how labor should deal with members’ need for health care and pensions. Advocates of business unionism argued the union should bargain for health care and pensions as part of the contract, making employers pay.” Others argued for an all-encompassing social justice orientation similar to that adopted by European unions, in which the unions would have used their (at the time) formidable power to lobby for universal healthcare and pensions. Had American unions secured tangible benefits for the public at large, it’s possible that they would still be a force to reckon with. Instead, the dramatic difference between the job security and livable wages of union members and non-unionized employees is now a significant obstacle to uniting workers in the struggle against punitive austerity measures. “In retrospect, the ‘practical’ stance of business unionism was shortsighted and it’s a mistake we ought not repeat,” concludes Weiner.

It is uh

It has been a while!

Anyway, just hurt your back then you'll have a good excuse to not help carry heavy things.

I'd suggest trying to move a pool table for that. Apparently they contain slabs of granite which makes them deceptively heavy.
    I'm also using it as an excuse.

But yeah they actually have a pretty significant effect.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    You know what's bullshit? Bills. Why aren't we in a post-scarcity economy yet?

because such a thing is an impossibility and was always ludicrous

Of course it's not impossible.

It's impossible in the sense that we can't have literally infinite resources for everyone. But we can create enough that it's effectively infinite for everyone. Then we just make robots do the Charlie work, and it's all good from there.
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular

you are just weak

Pathetic. Using your knee to bend the bar, just like a lady.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

It is uh

It has been a while!

So far every attempt at living a healthier life has resulted in making me more sick.

Therefore, instead of gym I shall now be taking hormones!

Thanks Shivahn. (This is to include you in any liability suits)

It is uh

It has been a while!

So far every attempt at living a healthier life has resulted in making me more sick.

They will give you strokes and huge psych problems.

Er. Probably.

Maybe you could be a case study though.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Finished the Foundation Trilogy. Perhaps for the second time.

Surprised at how little I remembered
    I instantly remembered that Magnifico was the Mule, or at least that felt right. I didn't remember Bayta killing Mis or really any of the characters, though.

I also remembered that the Second Foundation was on Trantor
    This guy on TV is saying that "doing stuff" is the best way to "recover" from mental illness.

And y'know, i agree. Starting my game was a great way to get better.

i need to get back on that... Sigh.
    This guy on TV is saying that "doing stuff" is the best way to "recover" from mental illness.

I am sure he would support my hormone therapy as a valid kind of "doing stuff."

I dunno, worked for me!

Estrogen for all the depressed people!
    Estrogen's actually linked to depression but whatever!
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    I really don't like calling my romantic partner "stuff". The guy on TV needs to take sensitivity training, or something.

I dunno, worked for me!

i don't want to belittle you or your journey, i think it's great, but... i dunno, I don't think hormone Therapy is the same "doing a thing" as he means.

Man, i sound like a dick right now...

i mean, seems to me like hormone therapy is more like... medicine whereas "doing stuff" as the guy means would be, y'know, using your creativity and skill.

BUT... i support hormone therapy for trans people. I think what you're doing is great and that you're on the right way to be okay with yourself... I don't think it's the same thing as suffering from mental illness.

i don't know how to say things. :|

Bottom line: Go Siobhan, i believe in you, you will be okay with yourself in no time and hormone therapy is really helping you. :)
    all that helps with my depression is having my friends take me out and ply me with alcohol then indulge my vanity by having me compute large arithmetic problems in my head while they clap and tell me i'm so gifted and they believe in me

then they also buy me cheesecake
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    unffff the most righteous reggae

chant down babylon

free all checksdem
    eokNV.jpg
    all that helps with my depression is having my friends take me out and ply me with alcohol then indulge my vanity by having me compute large arithmetic problems in my head while they clap and tell me i'm so gifted and they believe in me

MAKE A THING, CHU.

MAKE A THIIIING!

I dunno, worked for me!

i don't want to belittle you or your journey, i think it's great, but... i dunno, I don't think hormone Therapy is the same "doing a thing" as he means.

Man, i sound like a dick right now...

i mean, seems to me like hormone therapy is more like... medicine whereas "doing stuff" as the guy means would be, y'know, using your creativity and skill.

BUT... i support hormone therapy for trans people. I think what you're doing is great and that you're on the right way to be okay with yourself... I don't think it's the same thing as suffering from mental illness.

i don't know how to say things. :|

Bottom line: Go Siobhan, i believe in you, you will be okay with yourself in no time and hormone therapy is really helping you. :)

It's not the same at all, I was being pretty sarcastic for a couple of reasons >.>

Like the fact that people find hormone therapy specifically suspect as a mental cure and encourage therapy to feel happy with yourself instead, and also the guy on TV's idea that "do stuff" constitutes useful advice.

I was double sarcastic so it cancelled out I guess!

I will buy you cheesecake and then we can fight.

Like a mental fight.

We'll have an arithmetic off.

It is uh

It has been a while!

They will give you strokes and huge psych problems.

Er. Probably.

Maybe you could be a case study though.

I should actually look up whether I have an increased/decreased chance of strokes due to my abnormally low blood pressure. 84 bitches.

And who cares about psych problems when you're swole (God I hope I used that word correctly)
    Also hormone therapy is totally doing a thing in that it's taking a step forward because fuck everyone else, they don't know what's best.

It's not like using skill or anything but it's also pretty different from other medicine in that regard.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ludious, you like Deadpool?

I guess it's unexpected, but only because i thought better of you, which was a mistake, clearly.

How the fuck do you not like Deadpool?

Deadpool is obnoxiously randumb, from what i saw.

Deadpoolpunchkitty.jpg

What's up with that nose.
    network_sig2.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Today I discussed my table-making plans with my dad and we had a long manly discussion about biscuit joinery, veneers, repurposing doors or using veneered plywood, measurement conventions for furniture, etc.

MASCULINITY.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular

I will buy you cheesecake and then we can fight.

Like a mental fight.

We'll have an arithmetic off.

you win; chu does not have will of the warrior

would you like to fight again?
    sig.gif
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    In The Future of Our Schools, union organizer Lois Weiner describes the choice made by American unions in the 1960s to use their political power exclusively to obtain health care coverage for members without fighting for universal health care. “It’s not common knowledge,” she writes, “but several decades ago the most powerful industrial unions in the United States had internal debates about how labor should deal with members’ need for health care and pensions. Advocates of business unionism argued the union should bargain for health care and pensions as part of the contract, making employers pay.” Others argued for an all-encompassing social justice orientation similar to that adopted by European unions, in which the unions would have used their (at the time) formidable power to lobby for universal healthcare and pensions. Had American unions secured tangible benefits for the public at large, it’s possible that they would still be a force to reckon with. Instead, the dramatic difference between the job security and livable wages of union members and non-unionized employees is now a significant obstacle to uniting workers in the struggle against punitive austerity measures. “In retrospect, the ‘practical’ stance of business unionism was shortsighted and it’s a mistake we ought not repeat,” concludes Weiner.

A lot of that has to do with the conservative leadership of unions in the US at the time.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I hath returned from Just Desserts. Overall the night was unremarkable and my show didn't win anything (old shows never do, the new ones get all the love), but I was unexpectedly added to the ICTV Hall of Fame. :D I guess enough people voted for me.

So now my name will be on a plaque in the Park School's basement forevermore. That's pretty cool I guess.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

A lot of that has to do with the conservative leadership of unions in the US at the time.

I am putting down a lot of that conservatism due to the association between racial issues and progressive politics at the time.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hi-dee-ho [chat]erinos!

Live music-fueled dinner rush was spectacular tonight. Totally pleased with how packed the place seemed to be.

In "I'm a stupid" news, I burned my finger not-insignificantly through an act of gallantry that I will think twice about before repeating
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    like the kids say

f

m

l
    edited May 2013
    European unions had quite a bit of communist purging as well, and those countries that did retain a communist movement tended to first turn into Soviet proxies and then fall apart once the Prague Spring provoked too much disillusionment of Soviet intentions. The common narrative that the conservatism of American leadership stems from anticommunist purges doesn't quite fly. No, I think it's race.
    ronya on
    edited May 2013
    I have one hundred and eighty two unfinished games, at least seventy nine of which i have not even begun to play.

I have several other games, games that are not to beat but merely to enjoy... Games like Minecraft, League of Legends, Super Monday Night Combat. I have several games I could revisit, great games like Bayonetta, Nier, Persona 3 and 4...

I have several game projects, two of which i have begun, one that is nearly ready for testing...

And yet, i have the gall to say I'm bored.

:|

I need to do something about this apathy. i can't not do anything all summer.
    21stCentury on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular

I hate Weiner, but I agree completely with her on this.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Today I discussed my table-making plans with my dad and we had a long manly discussion about biscuit joinery, veneers, repurposing doors or using veneered plywood, measurement conventions for furniture, etc.

MASCULINITY.

This stereotype has always confused me. Carpentry is the one bit of arts and crafts that gets the manly badge.

Call it by its real name. Wood sewing.
    dkmouthsig.png
    21st, how far are you into your academic journey
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I am putting down a lot of that conservatism due to the association between racial issues and progressive politics at the time.

Pretty much. The scary hippies made the chickens in the union leadership vote for Col. Sanders.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
This discussion has been closed.