Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    21st, how far are you into your academic journey

I have one more year of university before i have my bachelor's in admin. i have nothing to do until the classes start again in august...
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    European unions had quite a bit of communist purging as well, and those countries that did retain a communist movement tended to first turn into Soviet proxies and then fall apart once the Prague Spring provoked too much disillusionment of Soviet intentions. The common narrative that the conservatism of American leadership stems to anticommunist purges doesn't quite fly. No, I think it's race.

Why can't it just be corruption and general greed and ineptitude on the part of American organized labor leadership? Did the European unions need to deal with control by or aniseed crime like the US unions did?

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Today I discussed my table-making plans with my dad and we had a long manly discussion about biscuit joinery, veneers, repurposing doors or using veneered plywood, measurement conventions for furniture, etc.

MASCULINITY.

This stereotype has always confused me. Carpentry is the one bit of arts and crafts that gets the manly badge.

Call it by its real name. Wood sewing.

When I did stage construction in high school for our plays and shit we called wood glue jizz

probably relevant
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Today I discussed my table-making plans with my dad and we had a long manly discussion about biscuit joinery, veneers, repurposing doors or using veneered plywood, measurement conventions for furniture, etc.

MASCULINITY.

This stereotype has always confused me. Carpentry is the one bit of arts and crafts that gets the manly badge.

You hack through the corpses of towering plants with a spinning, shrieking blade and then smash it together with blunt instruments

MANLY

I have one more year of university before i have my bachelor's in admin. i have nothing to do until the classes start again in august...

WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE

GOD

THE HUMANITY

[/seething]

MASCULINITY.

You hack through the corpses of towering plants with a spinning, shrieking blade and then smash it together with blunt instruments

MANLY

And yet, dressing in tight clothing and manhandling women is seen as feminine.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also, i know gwyneth paltrow has some weirdo crazy nutrition shit going on but

goddamn those abs right
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    Hakkekage wrote: »

WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE

GOD

THE HUMANITY

[/seething]

i wish i had a job, though..

Speaking of which, i need to start calling therapists, find one and get therapy so i can hold a jerb.

Also get a driver's license.

MASCULINITY.

I disagree. There are plenty of crafts (wood working, metallurgy, working on cars, plumbing, etc) that are regarded as masculine because they are physically laborious in a way that sewing or scrap booking or knitting are not. It's not hard to figure out which side a craft will fall on.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson

goddamn those abs right

She has a weird crazy "completely has no perspective on how normal people have to structure their daily lives without obscene amounts of disposable income and single digit daily responsibilities" shit
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Narwhal I am trying to play Scrabble with you but my laptop is borked and it's taking forever. But beware! My move when it comes (eventually) will be a doozy.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    You know what's bullshit? Bills. Why aren't we in a post-scarcity economy yet?

because such a thing is an impossibility and was always ludicrous

Of course it's not impossible.

It's impossible in the sense that we can't have literally infinite resources for everyone. But we can create enough that it's effectively infinite for everyone. Then we just make robots do the Charlie work, and it's all good from there.

I wont be satisfied with just one solar system of my own.
    xlh6c3.png

WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE

GOD

THE HUMANITY

[/seething]

Speaking of which, i need to start calling therapists, find one and get therapy so i can hold a jerb.

Play games all day everyday. I would kill for a whole summer like that.

Narwhal I am trying to play Scrabble with you but my laptop is borked and it's taking forever. But beware! My move when it comes (eventually) will be a doozy.

Is "doozy" really a scrabble legal word?

WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE

GOD

THE HUMANITY

[/seething]

Play games all day everyday. I would kill for a whole summer like that.

haha, it's a curse, bro.

it's a curse.

I feel so useless with no income, living in my mom's basement...

Also, I remember now when i was paid to play games... and it made me physically sick.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular

Is "doozy" really a scrabble legal word?

beat me to it!
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

Not a problem, feel free to mercilessly pummel me at whatever speed you like. :cry:

Why's your laptop misbehaving? Is it as bad as mine? Mine is now more of a desktop, in that it can never be unplugged.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    European unions had quite a bit of communist purging as well, and those countries that did retain a communist movement tended to first turn into Soviet proxies and then fall apart once the Prague Spring provoked too much disillusionment of Soviet intentions. The common narrative that the conservatism of American leadership stems to anticommunist purges doesn't quite fly. No, I think it's race.

Why can't it just be corruption and general greed and ineptitude on the part of American organized labor leadership? Did the European unions need to deal with control by or aniseed crime like the US unions did?

The idea of the mob smuggling aniseed amuses me. It's the East India Mafia!

It's not accidental that organized crime in the US organized along heavily ethnic lines, either. A lot of it was a retention of ethnic communal networks and old machine-politics-era hierarchies of influence.

The split in the US labour movement dates to before Prohibition. You got similar resentment of immigrants and internal US migrants as scab labour way back in the late 19th.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Manhandling? Why not 'womanhandling'?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    edited May 2013

WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE

GOD

THE HUMANITY

[/seething]

Driver's license yes. Job, no, no, no, you sweet summer child, I was you a year ago, desperate not to be one of the unemployed, one of the scorned, the huddled masses, the despised leeches

but now I am employed and it has made me need a therapist but I don't have time for one because of the job. You don't need to be sane to get a job but you have to be crazy to keep it
    Hakkekage on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

MASCULINITY.

I disagree. There are plenty of crafts (wood working, metallurgy, working on cars, plumbing, etc) that are regarded as masculine because they are physically laborious in a way that sewing or scrap booking or knitting are not. It's not hard to figure out which side a craft will fall on.

I fail to see how applying veneer or cutting joints is manly. Maybe if they were a couple of lumberjacks or running a saw mill.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    My teacher really wants to make sure that we understand the sunken cost fallacy.

I have at least 5 questions on this review sheet about it.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Raven, reinstall your OS.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    Lately the longer i go without sex the more i tend to think that wanting the d is the most likely reason any girl does anything

Which is a lot like going crazy and knowing it.
    xlh6c3.png

WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE

GOD

THE HUMANITY

[/seething]

Driver's license yes. Job, no, no, no, you sweet summer child, I was you a year ago, desperate not to be one of the unemployed, one of the scorned, the huddled masses, the despised leeches

but now I am employed and it has made me need a therapist but I don't have time for one because of the job. You don't need to be sane to get a job but you have to be crazy to keep it

Oh man, real life sounds scary as hell. :(
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    can anyone recommend a good Bioshock Infinite LP?

by good, I mean both satisfactory gameplay, with various vigors and weapons used and reasonably few deaths, and commentary that is pleasant to hear, either amusing or thoughtful

also Cent you should post in the CF thread! :P
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    There is no Beholder in the Neverwinter Foundry

This will NOT stand!

MASCULINITY.

the next east coast earthquake is coming and the epicenter is me

Scientists will trace it back to the brainsplosion that is currently building up power right now

it will be legend-wait for it-
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE

GOD

THE HUMANITY

[/seething]

Oh man, real life sounds scary as hell. :(

Hakkekage chose a field that eats its young apparently. There are better and worse fields you can choose!
    Actually no it just gets harder to put it aside. Thats always the first thing i think of.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

goddamn those abs right

She has a weird crazy "completely has no perspective on how normal people have to structure their daily lives without obscene amounts of disposable income and single digit daily responsibilities" shit

yeah she's totally a bit nutty but

those abs!
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    98 minutes until the dawn of a new, terrifying era in my restaurant. :twisted:
    BeNarwhal on
    emnmnme wrote: »

What if I bought the update from the App store and I don't have it on a hard disc?
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    My teacher really wants to make sure that we understand the sunken cost fallacy.

I have at least 5 questions on this review sheet about it.

Question 4 is "You have lost a point for each of the previous three questions that you answered. Answering this one and the next will earn you two points. Should you have watched Game of Thrones instead?"
    dkmouthsig.png
    can anyone recommend a good Bioshock Infinite LP?

by good, I mean both satisfactory gameplay, with various vigors and weapons used and reasonably few deaths, and commentary that is pleasant to hear, either amusing or thoughtful

also Cent you should post in the CF thread! :P

i don't have anything to add, really. i'm okay with that, though.

i guess I could ask what reapers are? I'm still not sure how widespread that knowledge is, really.
    emnmnme wrote: »

What if I bought the update from the App store and I don't have it on a hard disc?

Unless you did it wrong it should have installed a recovery partition. Hold down Option I think it is to choose to boot into the recovery partition.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular

MASCULINITY.

Do not disparage the manly art of knitting!

....which I only got into because I'm shit at carpentry etc.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Pacific Rim game incoming! (xbla/PSN)

K2AXzXW.jpg
    bloodyroarxx on
    Also you hold it down while its booting
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Also you hold it down while its booting

My only other partition is my bootcamp side, with Windows on it. I think.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
This discussion has been closed.