Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I had some Shrimp Diablo yesterday and the sauce tasted like ketchup to me.
    I wanted to bitch slap the cook so bad
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    80% of my enjoyment with Skyrim has been as a hiking simulator.

Oblivion too, really. Although I did really like Shivering Isles.

There is nothing wrong with hiking simulators. The gameplay in Morrowind is p. bad, but it doesn't matter at all, because the world is gorgeous to walk around. It's also full of interesting things. Oblivion was too bland (both in design and in having interesting things in the world) but Skyrim nails both, IMO.

I'm gonna have to disagree that morrowind is gorgeous.

Oblivion did have some nice landscape, off the beaten path. I never got far into the main quest or any quest line really. The characters I played the most were just people walking around living off the land. Which was a pretty land!¨

Skyrim beats it by a lot though because of the variation of landscape.
    xlh6c3.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    WoW is great. I'm willing to call it the best MMO.

We are all aware of this opinion of yours.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cass, the combat is kind of Tera light. I think Echo described it as semi-MOBA like which makes sense.

You have two basic attacks on your mouse, 3 encounter powers which are short cooldowns on qwr, a special on tab and a daily which is a long cooldown/action points based on 1.

It is real time and requires some dodging and attention. Each class plays different. My rogue is mostly balls to the walls damage while my wizard ccs half of the things and nukes the rest. Guardian fighters have an active block. Clerics heal and call down holy fire. Great weapon fighters I think charge and aoe.

Re: GW, yes you have the gist

1. Do your leapy charge
    2. Prepare to melee aoe
    3. Watch mages force push the mobs out of your reach right before your attack goes off

: p
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Parts of morrowind are pretty. It's a pretty diverse country.

Large parts of it are wasteland though.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I have depression and anxiety so I spent a lot of time in my room.

One night I moved all my furniture to one side of the room. Picked up my mattress and put it on another wall. Took all my trash and everything else... Basically I wanted a big empty space in the middle of my room for an epic six inch gi joe battle. I equipped them all with guns. Posed them. Lots of fun.

After all that I left my toys mid battle to take a shower. I put on sunn o)))) aka ambient black metal. I got out dripping wet and didn't bother to get dressed. I have a bunch of masks and I figured that why not put one on. I stood in the middle of my gi joes laughing manically wearing a chicken mask.

I took off the mask ten minutes later and turn around. Mom was there. I had no idea how long she was there.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    is that like, a mix of pasta and rice/beans

chu's family is running a marathon tomorrow
    one thing that annoys me with both is how... dead and mechanical the world seemed at times.

both games had one thing that annoyed: why the fuck are there so many godamn forts around, and why are like zero of them not manned by bandits or whatever
    xlh6c3.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I hate spicy food so much. It makes me sweaty, and then I feel like I need to wash my face or something.

it is the best. you need to learn to live.

i've gotten really into spicy food- mostly from finding an authentic sichuan place i love. but my problem is it makes other foods less enjoyable by contrast. my ceiling keeps getting higher and other flavor profiles seem bland, sometimes.

Slowly becoming more desensitized

Eventually you can barely mister up the energy to chew unless you're watching an Eastern European woman forced to eat a ghost chili at the same time

It was funny watching my friends slowly build up their tolerance for spicy food when we found this great Indian place. The first couple of visits, their noses started running basically immediately; by the end, one of them was asking the waiter to make his biryani extra spicy, and downed it like a champ (albeit a slow champ).

So proud. T_T
    network_sig2.png
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Fair enough. I enjoyed how diverse the environments were, and how unique a lot of the scenery was, vs Oblivion's bog standard fantasy setting.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    meng, i don't know about other grey areas of guns and gun rights and such but
    man
    it sure seems horribly irresponsible to give a four year old a .22 caliber rifle, regardless of your stance
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/05/03/crickett_keystone_sporting_arms_watch_an_ad_for_my_first_rifle_the_gun_a.html
    thats not even kindergarten
    kids in kindergarten can't even color in the lines half the time

the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of infants from time to time

tots shooting infants occasionally is the price we pay for our freedoms
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

One night I moved all my furniture to one side of the room. Picked up my mattress and put it on another wall. Took all my trash and everything else... Basically I wanted a big empty space in the middle of my room for an epic six inch gi joe battle. I equipped them all with guns. Posed them. Lots of fun.

After all that I left my toys mid battle to take a shower. I put on sunn o)))) aka ambient black metal. I got out dripping wet and didn't bother to get dressed. I have a bunch of masks and I figured that why not put one on. I stood in the middle of my gi joes laughing manically wearing a chicken mask.

I took off the mask ten minutes later and turn around. Mom was there. I had no idea how long she was there.

I really hope this is for some kind of build-up to a Hotline Miami prequel.
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    So is Neverwinter combat like WoW at all?

Not really, kind of like a weird wow/diablo/third-person shooter hybrid. Like, your main abilities (at-will) are going to be on left and right click, then the rest of your occasional abilities (encounter and daily powers) are keyboard presses. You've got a targeting reticle that you use to select who you're going to use your powers on. I can't imagine that system doing particularly well with really large-scale or hectic encounters, but we'll see I guess.

It felt kind of hectic doing a dungeon last night. I don't know if it gets more technical and controlled and wow-raid later, but it was pretty chaotic.

Reading the thread my understanding is epic dungeons are basically more mooks. Like you put a dps on the boss and the rest deal with the flood of mooks. The unending tide of mooks. So many mooks there are mooks on mooks.

Still comparing it to Tera; can't help it

15 mobs at a time solo or I feed >:l
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    WoW is great. I'm willing to call it the best MMO.

We are all aware of this opinion of yours.

Well nothing else has come close to toppling it in terms of accessible gameplay or longevity over the past like, 8 years

Blizz have this MMO thing down to a tee. Other companies should stop trying to reinvent the wheel because they're failing pretty badly

I ...
    Skyrim had well... not very good roleplaying in the traditional sense of going around and talking to people and shit.

(stats and numbers have nothing to do with roleplaying in my book)

but I was walking around, hunting things and making a living that way, slaughtering (and robbing) the occasional thalmor or imperial patrol.

Stopping at inns for the night. It was very immersive.

and good roleplaying in that way. My role was a simple one, but very enjoyable.

It's just fun to be a freebooter exploring the world. It actually reminds me very much of the excellent Divine Divinity (the original).

I feel like booting up freelancer actually, now that we're talking about this.

unless characters are gone now I have a character who is a Rheinland Cruiser captain sitting there

but the most fun I had this last go was exploring in far off, remote, alien and dangerous systems as a, well, freelancer

coming back to civilization with strange artifacts. Hiring out my services as a mercenary until I felt the call of the unknown once again.
    xlh6c3.png
    one thing that annoys me with both is how... dead and mechanical the world seemed at times.

both games had one thing that annoyed: why the fuck are there so many godamn forts around, and why are like zero of them not manned by bandits or whatever

Because they chose a big world over a hand crafted world every time. Generic forts or caves with bandits in them are easy to drop in. It's a shame, cause Skyrim has loads of interesting little places. The random extra forts are not needed at all.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I hate spicy food so much. It makes me sweaty, and then I feel like I need to wash my face or something.

i've gotten really into spicy food- mostly from finding an authentic sichuan place i love. but my problem is it makes other foods less enjoyable by contrast. my ceiling keeps getting higher and other flavor profiles seem bland, sometimes.

Slowly becoming more desensitized

Eventually you can barely mister up the energy to chew unless you're watching an Eastern European woman forced to eat a ghost chili at the same time

It was funny watching my friends slowly build up their tolerance for spicy food when we found this great Indian place. The first couple of visits, their noses started running basically immediately; by the end, one of them was asking the waiter to make his biryani extra spicy, and downed it like a champ (albeit a slow champ).

So proud. T_T

USA
    USA
    USA
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    As a boring upstate New Yorker of Irish descent, I am unable to eat any food spicier than a potato.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I have meetings from 1030-1130, and then from 1200-130

but I am so hungry now

when will I go get food

D :

Fair enough. I enjoyed how diverse the environments were, and how unique a lot of the scenery was, vs Oblivion's bog standard fantasy setting.

Elder Scrolls get better the more weird they put in it.

so the more they involve the daedra the better. Because that's the interesting part of their setting. Shivering Isles I actually finished the main quest in, because it was cool.
    xlh6c3.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

It also makes pooping an adventure!
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

this story is told from the perspective of "ha ha mom caught me goofing and now she thinks i'm crazy"

but really it just sounds like the dude is crazy
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I have meetings from 1030-1130, and then from 1200-130

but I am so hungry now

when will I go get food

D :

Wow, a meeting from noon to 1:30 AM? That's hardcore.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Well nothing else has come close to toppling it in terms of accessible gameplay or longevity over the past like, 8 years

Blizz have this MMO thing down to a tee. Other companies should stop trying to reinvent the wheel because they're failing pretty badly

One thing Blizzard really managed with WoW is making it feel snappy. Combat just flows really well. Things happen when I press a button.

Because they chose a big world over a hand crafted world every time. Generic forts or caves with bandits in them are easy to drop in. It's a shame, cause Skyrim has loads of interesting little places. The random extra forts are not needed at all.

Yeah. I may be the only person ever to have this complaint, but I wish that skyrim was bigger, with less stuff.

Or maybe as much stuff, just more empty landscape between them.
    xlh6c3.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    so i'm trying to make a reasonably clear and non-ambiguous list of goals for the summer. the obvious one that doesn't bear fleshing out is finding a job, which i'm already working on. then i have three major goals:

1) improve my math skills in preparation of calc 2

2) improve my programming skills, largely through making something novel

3) work on my anxiety or whatever other weird stuff is controlling my mood and retarding some of my study habits

i figure that the main shortcoming i've encountered w.r.t. 1) in the past is that i spend too much time reading. i watch khan academy videos, i read tutorials etc- but then i only do a small number of practice problems. so since that hasn't worked, i'm going to try the opposite approach: get some workbooks (first at an algebra/precalc level and then calc afterwards) and do a whole, whole lot of problem sets. i hope to solve a whole lot of varied problems to challenge my misconceptions and gaps in my knowledge.

when it comes to 2), well, during the school year i just didn't do much recreational coding at all. i was so stressed with schoolwork that i didn't give it any attention. thankfully i already stopped doing the stuff i did with math when it comes to programming: now i just write code. i will be trying to do a lot of it this summer, and generally leaving alone books and tutorials. i want to make something novel- maybe start over my anagram game and its core algorithm in java, rather than wasting time refreshing on python when i could just be thinking about logic and generalized stuff. write some code every day!

the last one is harder and i'm not really sure what to do. i've looked at meditating and tried it a couple times now to not-much-effect. i watched an instructional video but so far i haven't really found any relief. i may just talk to my psychiatrist about looking into anxiety meds. i don't know if that's a great idea, but bootstrapping this one hasn't worked out well so far.

hmmm.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    my ass is kicked from Sunday Day Drinking.
    Being old sucks.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    I may buy the recent skyrim DLC this summer. Daedra! Weird stuff! Yes!
    xlh6c3.png

Elder Scrolls get better the more weird they put in it.

so the more they involve the daedra the better. Because that's the interesting part of their setting. Shivering Isles I actually finished the main quest in, because it was cool.

I agree that the biggest problem they have is insisting on making so much bland. There is near stuff in the lore. Use it!

I never played shivering isles, but heard good things. Oblivion was just so bad, and it came at a weird time where its terribleness was basically destroying any chances for good RPGs to come out, so I have a lot of residual ill will towards that game.

• KageraKagera Registered User regular
    I also have depression and anxiety but I would never have the motivation to rearrange my room.

Crazy chicken kid is my hero.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Being old sucks.

i've come to the conclusion that i need to take sundays easy

i think i had half a beer yesterday

oh the indignity of aging
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    chicken kid put one too many parentheses in Sunn O)))
    edited May 2013
    Skyrim is a hand crafted world.

They just crafted it a bit wrong, in my opinion.

they should have gone "we need more dungeons for players to clear out" less.

I want places to experience. Not just another dungeon.

(they did have a lot of cool stuff to just stumble across, to be fair. But fuck the crypts and fuck bandit forts.)
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png

Yeah. I may be the only person ever to have this complaint, but I wish that skyrim was bigger, with less stuff.

Or maybe as much stuff, just more empty landscape between them.

I agree completely. I think that is one of the biggest problems with FO3. The "wasteland" is so densely populated. I mean, there is a town like 5 feet from the vault, yet noone in the town ever noticed it?

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Being old sucks.

@BEAST! is also hungover

we had a 20 minute conversation on the phone last night of which he remembers 0 minutes

srsly guys wat da fak
    so i'm trying to make a reasonably clear and non-ambiguous list of goals for the summer. the obvious one that doesn't bear fleshing out is finding a job, which i'm already working on. then i have three major goals:

3) work on my anxiety or whatever other weird stuff is controlling my mood and retarding some of my study habits

i figure that the main shortcoming i've encountered w.r.t. 1) in the past is that i spend too much time reading. i watch khan academy videos, i read tutorials etc- but then i only do a small number of practice problems. so since that hasn't worked, i'm going to try the opposite approach: get some workbooks (first at an algebra/precalc level and then calc afterwards) and do a whole, whole lot of problem sets. i hope to solve a whole lot of varied problems to challenge my misconceptions and gaps in my knowledge.

when it comes to 2), well, during the school year i just didn't do much recreational coding at all. i was so stressed with schoolwork that i didn't give it any attention. thankfully i already stopped doing the stuff i did with math when it comes to programming: now i just write code. i will be trying to do a lot of it this summer, and generally leaving alone books and tutorials. i want to make something novel- maybe start over my anagram game and its core algorithm in java, rather than wasting time refreshing on python when i could just be thinking about logic and generalized stuff. write some code every day!

the last one is harder and i'm not really sure what to do. i've looked at meditating and tried it a couple times now to not-much-effect. i watched an instructional video but so far i haven't really found any relief. i may just talk to my psychiatrist about looking into anxiety meds. i don't know if that's a great idea, but bootstrapping this one hasn't worked out well so far.

hmmm.

trying to medicate anxiety on top of whatever you're taking for ADD is gonna be a huge challenge. when you were exercising, it seemed like it helped your mood and anxiety - maybe start that up again?
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I need to start running again or doing something

I am super unmotivated

DILEMMA
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

hmmm.

trying to medicate anxiety on top of whatever you're taking for ADD is gonna be a huge challenge. when you were exercising, it seemed like it helped your mood and anxiety - maybe start that up again?

i've been jogging most mornings which is nice. maybe i should move up to twice a day.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

One thing Blizzard really managed with WoW is making it feel snappy. Combat just flows really well. Things happen when I press a button.

My biggest problem with MMOs in general (back when I had time to play them) is that everything is so weak and slow. If you're fighting something roughly equal to you in level, you can hit it with everything you've got - even skills with an hour plus cool-down, and knock...a third? Maybe? Off its life bar.

Either that, or you are in a group and everything dies so fast you don't even see your contribution.

I prefer playing solo though and feeling like I'm actually powerful, so I'm not really the target audience for most MMOs.
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.