Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Well nothing else has come close to toppling it in terms of accessible gameplay or longevity over the past like, 8 years

Blizz have this MMO thing down to a tee. Other companies should stop trying to reinvent the wheel because they're failing pretty badly

One thing Blizzard really managed with WoW is making it feel snappy. Combat just flows really well. Things happen when I press a button.

Someone described it this way (I think on the official forums) and while I'd never thought of combat animations as a skill-reward relationship... it makes a greater-than-zero amount of sense.

Basically, he argued that the "reward" for playing a monk well is the beautiful animations. They really are quite good, and I do hope the older races/classes get similar quality animation remodels.

But yeah, overall I feel WoW does general MMO mechanics well, or at least in a smart, intuitive way -- though I haven't actually played other MMOs, so my opinion isn't a comparative one. WoW has also had the benefit of being a successful, popular game for 8 years now; it's moved beyond the basic issues of mechanics and is now struggling (imo) with more sophisticated issues like keeping the treadmill going, high-level PvE and PvP class balance (because hundreds of thousands of dollars of real-world money are up for grabs in league play), and the dual tensions of appealing to casuals/new players while providing challenges for the sperglord set at the high end of PvP and PvE.
    network_sig2.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I really like Dragon Age. It's a very good bioware rpg, which is basically a subgenre. story and dialogue driven, very unsandboxy. That kind of thing.

Bethesda makes some pretty places to explore. Their problem is, beyond the gameplay problems, is that it is a place inhabited by cardboard cutouts animated with string by an unseen insane and incoherent puppeteer. Who is also lazy.

mash them together. An open world story and dialogue driven RPG. Bioware breathes life into the characters. Bethesda sprinkles their makepretty dust on the landscape.

best bits of the ideamakers for settings from both gets jumbled together. The boring gets excised with fire.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    one thing that annoys me with both is how... dead and mechanical the world seemed at times.

both games had one thing that annoyed: why the fuck are there so many godamn forts around, and why are like zero of them not manned by bandits or whatever

Because they chose a big world over a hand crafted world every time. Generic forts or caves with bandits in them are easy to drop in. It's a shame, cause Skyrim has loads of interesting little places. The random extra forts are not needed at all.

Yeah. I may be the only person ever to have this complaint, but I wish that skyrim was bigger, with less stuff.

Or maybe as much stuff, just more empty landscape between them.

No, this would only be allowed if you were given more carrying capacity

How much time I wasted during the short time I got to play it shifting my inventory around and dropping shit I coulda sold for gold....

This is personal
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    oh god anotherIT meeting where we go through defects

fucking kill me
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I need to start running again or doing something

I am super unmotivated

DILEMMA

Just get out and run. It really sucks to get going and do it, but when you are done you'll be glad you did it.

I hate exercise, but I like that feeling of knowing I finished exercising, and I don't need to do it again for a while.
    steam_sig.png
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I also have depression and anxiety but I would never have the motivation to rearrange my room.

Crazy chicken kid is my hero.

Half-heartedly arranging a GI Joe skirmish rather than a battle

Wearing a chicken mask with your clothes on

THINK BIG KAGERA
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

fucking kill me

I'm behind on my work because "RMS can you look at this issue" is a daily thing. :(
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    severity: critical
    assigned to: my balls
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Israel is shooting at the Syrians now? Can't we all just get along?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

fuckkkkkk yooooooooooouuuuu
    *fires giant matzo cannon at you*
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    does neverwinter have a mac client?

i'm not sure i'm willing to boot into windows to try the game.

fucking kill me

I'm behind on my work because "RMS can you look at this issue" is a daily thing. :(

I'm behind on my work because I keep getting fucking busywork and user account form processing. I need to focus and get this shit done, but it sucks so bad and I just want to go work on the projects I'm running, but I can't because of this bullshit busywork I don't really care about.

For fuck's sake, hire an intern to do this boring data entry / account provisioning.
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so i'm trying to make a reasonably clear and non-ambiguous list of goals for the summer. the obvious one that doesn't bear fleshing out is finding a job, which i'm already working on. then i have three major goals:

1) improve my math skills in preparation of calc 2

2) improve my programming skills, largely through making something novel

3) work on my anxiety or whatever other weird stuff is controlling my mood and retarding some of my study habits

i figure that the main shortcoming i've encountered w.r.t. 1) in the past is that i spend too much time reading. i watch khan academy videos, i read tutorials etc- but then i only do a small number of practice problems. so since that hasn't worked, i'm going to try the opposite approach: get some workbooks (first at an algebra/precalc level and then calc afterwards) and do a whole, whole lot of problem sets. i hope to solve a whole lot of varied problems to challenge my misconceptions and gaps in my knowledge.

when it comes to 2), well, during the school year i just didn't do much recreational coding at all. i was so stressed with schoolwork that i didn't give it any attention. thankfully i already stopped doing the stuff i did with math when it comes to programming: now i just write code. i will be trying to do a lot of it this summer, and generally leaving alone books and tutorials. i want to make something novel- maybe start over my anagram game and its core algorithm in java, rather than wasting time refreshing on python when i could just be thinking about logic and generalized stuff. write some code every day!

the last one is harder and i'm not really sure what to do. i've looked at meditating and tried it a couple times now to not-much-effect. i watched an instructional video but so far i haven't really found any relief. i may just talk to my psychiatrist about looking into anxiety meds. i don't know if that's a great idea, but bootstrapping this one hasn't worked out well so far.

hmmm.

trying to medicate anxiety on top of whatever you're taking for ADD is gonna be a huge challenge. when you were exercising, it seemed like it helped your mood and anxiety - maybe start that up again?

i've been jogging most mornings which is nice. maybe i should move up to twice a day.

jog to chicago. i will squire you about town. at night we will play strip calculus and then go streaking.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    my ass is kicked from Sunday Day Drinking.
    Being old sucks.

@BEAST! is also hungover

we had a 20 minute conversation on the phone last night of which he remembers 0 minutes

srsly guys wat da fak
    when that drunk my brain shuts off the second i open my front door, everything up until then is crystal clear but from the door until i woke up on the couch at 11:30 i dont know what happened......although all of my stuff was put away neatly, things were washed, cats seemed fed, and i went to call you but realized it said we'd already talked for 20 minutes...

also my stomach hates me right now :(
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    so i'm trying to make a reasonably clear and non-ambiguous list of goals for the summer. the obvious one that doesn't bear fleshing out is finding a job, which i'm already working on. then i have three major goals:

3) work on my anxiety or whatever other weird stuff is controlling my mood and retarding some of my study habits

i figure that the main shortcoming i've encountered w.r.t. 1) in the past is that i spend too much time reading. i watch khan academy videos, i read tutorials etc- but then i only do a small number of practice problems. so since that hasn't worked, i'm going to try the opposite approach: get some workbooks (first at an algebra/precalc level and then calc afterwards) and do a whole, whole lot of problem sets. i hope to solve a whole lot of varied problems to challenge my misconceptions and gaps in my knowledge.

when it comes to 2), well, during the school year i just didn't do much recreational coding at all. i was so stressed with schoolwork that i didn't give it any attention. thankfully i already stopped doing the stuff i did with math when it comes to programming: now i just write code. i will be trying to do a lot of it this summer, and generally leaving alone books and tutorials. i want to make something novel- maybe start over my anagram game and its core algorithm in java, rather than wasting time refreshing on python when i could just be thinking about logic and generalized stuff. write some code every day!

the last one is harder and i'm not really sure what to do. i've looked at meditating and tried it a couple times now to not-much-effect. i watched an instructional video but so far i haven't really found any relief. i may just talk to my psychiatrist about looking into anxiety meds. i don't know if that's a great idea, but bootstrapping this one hasn't worked out well so far.

hmmm.

trying to medicate anxiety on top of whatever you're taking for ADD is gonna be a huge challenge. when you were exercising, it seemed like it helped your mood and anxiety - maybe start that up again?

i've been jogging most mornings which is nice. maybe i should move up to twice a day.

jog to chicago. i will squire you about town. at night we will play strip calculus and then go streaking.

i trust ye not
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

fuckkkkkk yooooooooooouuuuu
    *fires giant matzo cannon at you*

Why can't it be like in professional wrestling where international tensions are settled through matches between broad caricatures?
    I really like Dragon Age. It's a very good bioware rpg, which is basically a subgenre. story and dialogue driven, very unsandboxy. That kind of thing.

Bethesda makes some pretty places to explore. Their problem is, beyond the gameplay problems, is that it is a place inhabited by cardboard cutouts animated with string by an unseen insane and incoherent puppeteer. Who is also lazy.

mash them together. An open world story and dialogue driven RPG. Bioware breathes life into the characters. Bethesda sprinkles their makepretty dust on the landscape.

best bits of the ideamakers for settings from both gets jumbled together. The boring gets excised with fire.

This would take $texas years and $alaska dollars to develop. The Tradeoff Triangle exists for a reason.

Fast, Good, Cheap.
    network_sig2.png
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    someone on reddit selling vinyl copies of As The Roots Undo

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    edited May 2013
    Skyrim had cool things.

The forsworn? Ace. Briarhearts, baba-yaga ish witch things (I first encountered one at random. Or, I encountered the camp with all the goat heads and shit first. Thought "uhhhhh....". And then I heard that rasping breath.)

Giants? Awesome! Mostly because they're like, mostly just there and doing their own thing. Not just there and waiting for me to saunter over and kill them like all the bandits.

Randomly running into Cicero. That guy creeped the piss outta me so I was just like nope I ain't gonna help you for shit, I'm going to leave as fast as I can and then change direction like five times when I'm out of view because I'm getting a really bad vibe from you! (later I was at a mate where we played his save which involved him more and I was like okay yuuup I was right to be creeped out)

skyrim had uncool things.

Swinging swords at people was, on the surface improved, but then revealed to be just as dull as oblivion. clicky clicky clicky until their health bar drops. With fancy animations.

fighting difficult bosses did just get farcical. Because they'll just kill me dead super fast and there's nothing I can do about it, it always ended up with me running around trying to find some kind of exploit. It wasn't more difficult, it was just impossible at times. Which is bad.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    You wouldn't help a poor jester transport his mother through Skyrim?

You monster.
    Hamurabi wrote: »

This would take $texas years and $alaska dollars to develop. The Tradeoff Triangle exists for a reason.

Fast, Good, Cheap.

their games already takes ages and huge amounts of cash to develop!
    xlh6c3.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cass, the combat is kind of Tera light. I think Echo described it as semi-MOBA like which makes sense.

You have two basic attacks on your mouse, 3 encounter powers which are short cooldowns on qwr, a special on tab and a daily which is a long cooldown/action points based on 1.

It is real time and requires some dodging and attention. Each class plays different. My rogue is mostly balls to the walls damage while my wizard ccs half of the things and nukes the rest. Guardian fighters have an active block. Clerics heal and call down holy fire. Great weapon fighters I think charge and aoe.

Re: GW, yes you have the gist

1. Do your leapy charge
    2. Prepare to melee aoe
    3. Watch mages force push the mobs out of your reach right before your attack goes off

: p

As a Guardian Fighter my opening is Mark(If it's a bigger guy), charge, AoE taunt for damage.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I'm going to look into exercising. I think I actually qualify for getting an exercise prescription from my doctor, so I can get a pretty substantial chunk off of the cost of a gym card.
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular

Fast, Good, Cheap.

Actually, this game already exists. Its called Acanum, and its one of the greatest games ever made.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/us/kentucky-town-rejects-girls-gun-death-as-a-symbol.html?hp
    NYTimes wrote:
    Ms. Beall, a 64-year-old retiree, said she had not heard anyone in town call the parents irresponsible for giving a gun to a 5-year-old or for leaving it unlocked. “Pointing fingers doesn’t really accomplish anything,” she said. “Terrible mistakes happen, and I think that’s what happened here.”

way to dispel negative stereotypes, hillbillies
    I'm going to look into exercising. I think I actually qualify for getting an exercise prescription from my doctor, so I can get a pretty substantial chunk off of the cost of a gym card.

God bless the Marxist Republic of Scandinavia.
    network_sig2.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

hmmm.

i trust ye not

no that's exactly what will happen

ok maybe not streaking cuz i live very neaer to a major police station.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    “I think it’s nobody else’s business but our town’s,” said a woman leaving a store, who like many people here declined to be interviewed. A woman who answered the phone at the office of John A. Phelps Jr., the chief executive of Cumberland County, whose seat is Burkesville, said, “No, I’m sorry — no more statements,” and hung up.

After the funeral service, two men advanced across North Main Street toward a single television crew present, from the German network RTL, and punched the cameraman, bloodying his face and knocking him down.

Two other men told a newspaper reporter, “If you had any sense, you’d get out of here. You’re next, buddy.”
    we have a free gym in college

lifting is great
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Fast, Good, Cheap.

From an RPG perspective the triangle is probably more like: big, deep, long.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    WoW style MMO combat is pretty much dead. No recent MMO has even tried it, and all are moving towards a more actiony game. SWTOR was the last one, and even if did some things better than WoW in my opinion (Like swarming players with mobs from early on so everyone got better at their class and forcing focus fire, can't just rely on tank+healer because they can't hold everything, and giving a more dynamic fight feeling) ultimately "If you come at the King you best not miss" and SWTOR was weaker than WoW on too many levels.

If you want a slice of the MMO pie, you pretty much have to be different. And the subscription model is a very high risk operation, I wonder if anyone is going to try it on a new release. Maybe TSO.
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    is there like, a place with a bunch of really good let's plays? like a good youtuber or a catalogue or something?
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Don't you think it's a little belittling or whatever? Registered User regular
    Cucumber
    Vinegar
    Salt
    Sugar

Cayenne pepper??????????
    frosteey.gif
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    More generally, while Bio makes a certain type of game, and that game sure is popular and can be fun to play, Obsidian (and Troika before them) make better games in the Bio style, while also offering more choices, freedom and world reactivity. So the mythical game that merges exploration, choices, and strong narrative/characters is being made right now. Its Project Eternity, and it may well be the best RPG in 2 decades if Obsidian can deliver what we've always thought they could without a publisher screwing them over.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    “I think it’s nobody else’s business but our town’s,” said a woman leaving a store, who like many people here declined to be interviewed. A woman who answered the phone at the office of John A. Phelps Jr., the chief executive of Cumberland County, whose seat is Burkesville, said, “No, I’m sorry — no more statements,” and hung up.

After the funeral service, two men advanced across North Main Street toward a single television crew present, from the German network RTL, and punched the cameraman, bloodying his face and knocking him down.

Two other men told a newspaper reporter, “If you had any sense, you’d get out of here. You’re next, buddy.”

Damn. Hopefully they are pressing charges.

Not that there's a jury in KY that would convict. Still, that's crazy...
    steam_sig.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

Fast, Good, Cheap.

Actually, this game already exists. Its called Acanum, and its one of the greatest games ever made.

Most of Arcanum is completely empty wasteland.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Fast, Good, Cheap.

From an RPG perspective the triangle is probably more like: big, deep, long.

I'm fairly sure Skyrim is the most expensive RPG that is not an MMO or Final Fantasy ever produced. I heard numbers in the $80-$100M range?

In Skyrim you barely play a character though. Everyone throws quests at you, you either do them or you don't, and if you are lucky a single person cares about your choices (Apart from the people you directly kill). Sure you can pick how you look and how you fight.
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cass, the combat is kind of Tera light. I think Echo described it as semi-MOBA like which makes sense.

You have two basic attacks on your mouse, 3 encounter powers which are short cooldowns on qwr, a special on tab and a daily which is a long cooldown/action points based on 1.

It is real time and requires some dodging and attention. Each class plays different. My rogue is mostly balls to the walls damage while my wizard ccs half of the things and nukes the rest. Guardian fighters have an active block. Clerics heal and call down holy fire. Great weapon fighters I think charge and aoe.

Re: GW, yes you have the gist

1. Do your leapy charge
    2. Prepare to melee aoe
    3. Watch mages force push the mobs out of your reach right before your attack goes off

: p

As a Guardian Fighter my opening is Mark(If it's a bigger guy), charge, AoE taunt for damage.

It is my nature to do melee damage alongside a tank.

It is my true calling!

Also the GW fighter daily where you leap into the air and vanish for a second takes a long time, but knocking down everything on the screen with a huge BOOM is hi-larious.

There's an ability I haven't picked up yet that's a pommel bash to a single target to knock prone. I was trying to concentrate on peeling trash off our casters and clerics last night and I think that ability could be good to use liberally when mobs are going where they're not wanted.
  • DaemonSadiDaemonSadi Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Well nothing else has come close to toppling it in terms of accessible gameplay or longevity over the past like, 8 years

Blizz have this MMO thing down to a tee. Other companies should stop trying to reinvent the wheel because they're failing pretty badly

One thing Blizzard really managed with WoW is making it feel snappy. Combat just flows really well. Things happen when I press a button.

My biggest problem with MMOs in general (back when I had time to play them) is that everything is so weak and slow. If you're fighting something roughly equal to you in level, you can hit it with everything you've got - even skills with an hour plus cool-down, and knock...a third? Maybe? Off its life bar.

Either that, or you are in a group and everything dies so fast you don't even see your contribution.

I prefer playing solo though and feeling like I'm actually powerful, so I'm not really the target audience for most MMOs.

Just an fyi, nott hat it matters, but I'd say a majority of MMOs are not like this at all anymore. That's more of the old school class of MMO.
    archer2.png
    SanderJK wrote: »
    WoW style MMO combat is pretty much dead. No recent MMO has even tried it, and all are moving towards a more actiony game.

haven't most recent MMOs been financial failures that haemorrhage players within six months of launch?
This discussion has been closed.