Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Israel is shooting at the Syrians now? Can't we all just get along?

fuckkkkkk yooooooooooouuuuu
    *fires giant matzo cannon at you*

Why can't it be like in professional wrestling where international tensions are settled through matches between broad caricatures?

The Hebrew Hammer squares off against The Iron Sheik LIVE on Pay-Per-View.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Ugh, so hungry. But I have to wait until Friday to go shopping again.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    we have a free gym in college

lifting is great

Uni gym is free too, but it's much less convenient when you don't live on campus, and campus is 11 miles away. Makes my $35/mo gym membership worth it in gas alone.
    network_sig2.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    no that game does not already exist I assure you.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    Yes you are right, there being super mutants and bos on the east coast is dumb

it's not worst game of all time dumb

It depends on what you want out of the game. As a FO game, it is atrocious. As an atmospheric FPS, I also think its pretty terrible. As an RPG that involves dialog? That is where I think it may be one of the worst games ever. The dialog is atrocious, the choices rarely matter, high intelligence options are flagged as being an "I win" button despite being some of the most unintelligent dialog ever written.
    So you're saying you're not fond of Fallout 3, but tastes differ.

is there like, a place with a bunch of really good let's plays? like a good youtuber or a catalogue or something?

http://www.youtube.com/show/gamingwiththekwings
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I really like Dragon Age. It's a very good bioware rpg, which is basically a subgenre. story and dialogue driven, very unsandboxy. That kind of thing.

Bethesda makes some pretty places to explore. Their problem is, beyond the gameplay problems, is that it is a place inhabited by cardboard cutouts animated with string by an unseen insane and incoherent puppeteer. Who is also lazy.

mash them together. An open world story and dialogue driven RPG. Bioware breathes life into the characters. Bethesda sprinkles their makepretty dust on the landscape.

best bits of the ideamakers for settings from both gets jumbled together. The boring gets excised with fire.

This would take $texas years and $alaska dollars to develop. The Tradeoff Triangle exists for a reason.

Fast, Good, Cheap.

Actually, this game already exists. Its called Acanum, and its one of the greatest games ever made.

I am not the least bit surprised that this is your favorite game.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/us/kentucky-town-rejects-girls-gun-death-as-a-symbol.html?hp
    NYTimes wrote:
    Ms. Beall, a 64-year-old retiree, said she had not heard anyone in town call the parents irresponsible for giving a gun to a 5-year-old or for leaving it unlocked. “Pointing fingers doesn’t really accomplish anything,” she said. “Terrible mistakes happen, and I think that’s what happened here.”

way to dispel negative stereotypes, hillbillies

Yeah, it seems like everyone there has united around the family, and even if a person doesn't agree he or she would probably be really afraid to break ranks for fear of the attention it would bring.

Not just from the community, but also from insane gun rights advocates
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    More generally, while Bio makes a certain type of game, and that game sure is popular and can be fun to play, Obsidian (and Troika before them) make better games in the Bio style, while also offering more choices, freedom and world reactivity. So the mythical game that merges exploration, choices, and strong narrative/characters is being made right now. Its Project Eternity, and it may well be the best RPG in 2 decades if Obsidian can deliver what we've always thought they could without a publisher screwing them over.

i've followed it a little and it looks good

hopefully they know how to scope their shit. freedom, world reactivity and narrative strength are all basically contraposed when it comes to development resources. it's absolutely best to choose one thing to do well, and then let other games do the other things well.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    we have a free gym in college

lifting is great

Uni gym is free too, but it's much less convenient when you don't live on campus, and campus is 11 miles away. Makes my $35/mo gym membership worth it in gas alone.

yeah, I'm about 20km from campus but on average I'm in about six days a week so it balances out
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    is there like, a place with a bunch of really good let's plays? like a good youtuber or a catalogue or something?

@Helloween has put out a few, and I've liked the one or two I've watched. The SomethingAwful forums put together the lp archive.

• DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    my ass is kicked from Sunday Day Drinking.
    Being old sucks.

@BEAST! is also hungover

we had a 20 minute conversation on the phone last night of which he remembers 0 minutes

srsly guys wat da fak
    when that drunk my brain shuts off the second i open my front door, everything up until then is crystal clear but from the door until i woke up on the couch at 11:30 i dont know what happened......although all of my stuff was put away neatly, things were washed, cats seemed fed, and i went to call you but realized it said we'd already talked for 20 minutes...

also my stomach hates me right now :(

I may have hopped in a cab without actually saying goodbye to anyone. If so that was butt of me.
    I passed out immediately in my clothes when I got home.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I really like Dragon Age. It's a very good bioware rpg, which is basically a subgenre. story and dialogue driven, very unsandboxy. That kind of thing.

Bethesda makes some pretty places to explore. Their problem is, beyond the gameplay problems, is that it is a place inhabited by cardboard cutouts animated with string by an unseen insane and incoherent puppeteer. Who is also lazy.

mash them together. An open world story and dialogue driven RPG. Bioware breathes life into the characters. Bethesda sprinkles their makepretty dust on the landscape.

best bits of the ideamakers for settings from both gets jumbled together. The boring gets excised with fire.

This would take $texas years and $alaska dollars to develop. The Tradeoff Triangle exists for a reason.

Fast, Good, Cheap.

Actually, this game already exists. Its called Acanum, and its one of the greatest games ever made.

Most of Arcanum is completely empty wasteland.

But there is tremendous diversity among locations.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cass, the combat is kind of Tera light. I think Echo described it as semi-MOBA like which makes sense.

You have two basic attacks on your mouse, 3 encounter powers which are short cooldowns on qwr, a special on tab and a daily which is a long cooldown/action points based on 1.

It is real time and requires some dodging and attention. Each class plays different. My rogue is mostly balls to the walls damage while my wizard ccs half of the things and nukes the rest. Guardian fighters have an active block. Clerics heal and call down holy fire. Great weapon fighters I think charge and aoe.

Re: GW, yes you have the gist

1. Do your leapy charge
    2. Prepare to melee aoe
    3. Watch mages force push the mobs out of your reach right before your attack goes off

: p

As a Guardian Fighter my opening is Mark(If it's a bigger guy), charge, AoE taunt for damage.

It is my nature to do melee damage alongside a tank.

It is my true calling!

Also the GW fighter daily where you leap into the air and vanish for a second takes a long time, but knocking down everything on the screen with a huge BOOM is hi-larious.

There's an ability I haven't picked up yet that's a pommel bash to a single target to knock prone. I was trying to concentrate on peeling trash off our casters and clerics last night and I think that ability could be good to use liberally when mobs are going where they're not wanted.

Given the default behavior of casters who get aggro is to run around like a crazy person in a set of random directions that excludes towards the tank, I think that's a fine idea.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/us/kentucky-town-rejects-girls-gun-death-as-a-symbol.html?hp
    NYTimes wrote:
    Ms. Beall, a 64-year-old retiree, said she had not heard anyone in town call the parents irresponsible for giving a gun to a 5-year-old or for leaving it unlocked. “Pointing fingers doesn’t really accomplish anything,” she said. “Terrible mistakes happen, and I think that’s what happened here.”

Yeah, it seems like everyone there has united around the family, and even if a person doesn't agree he or she would probably be really afraid to break ranks for fear of the attention it would bring.

it's nice that they have community solidarity, but it would also be nice if people didn't think that the right to be irresponsible with guns was more important than preventing a tot from shooting his baby sister.
    More generally, while Bio makes a certain type of game, and that game sure is popular and can be fun to play, Obsidian (and Troika before them) make better games in the Bio style, while also offering more choices, freedom and world reactivity. So the mythical game that merges exploration, choices, and strong narrative/characters is being made right now. Its Project Eternity, and it may well be the best RPG in 2 decades if Obsidian can deliver what we've always thought they could without a publisher screwing them over.

Oh man, didn't Obsidian develop KOTOR2? God what a terrible developer! KOTOR2 was all their fault!
    network_sig2.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    WoW style MMO combat is pretty much dead. No recent MMO has even tried it, and all are moving towards a more actiony game.

haven't most recent MMOs been financial failures that haemorrhage players within six months of launch?

The Secret World was in this boat until they switched from a subscription model to Buy to Play with an in-game store and put it on the Steam Christmas sale. Now they're doing pretty well for themselves.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Fast, Good, Cheap.

From an RPG perspective the triangle is probably more like: big, deep, long.

I'm fairly sure Skyrim is the most expensive RPG that is not an MMO or Final Fantasy ever produced. I heard numbers in the $80-$100M range?

In Skyrim you barely play a character though. Everyone throws quests at you, you either do them or you don't, and if you are lucky a single person cares about your choices (Apart from the people you directly kill). Sure you can pick how you look and how you fight.

Yeah, I'd put skyrim in the big and long category. The consequence is lack of depth, your decisions don't affect the game world.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    “I think it’s nobody else’s business but our town’s,” said a woman leaving a store, who like many people here declined to be interviewed. A woman who answered the phone at the office of John A. Phelps Jr., the chief executive of Cumberland County, whose seat is Burkesville, said, “No, I’m sorry — no more statements,” and hung up.

After the funeral service, two men advanced across North Main Street toward a single television crew present, from the German network RTL, and punched the cameraman, bloodying his face and knocking him down.

Two other men told a newspaper reporter, “If you had any sense, you’d get out of here. You’re next, buddy.”

#nottheonion
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    NYTimes wrote:

it's nice that they have community solidarity, but it would also be nice if people didn't think that the right to be irresponsible with guns was more important than preventing a tot from shooting his baby sister.

Oh yeah, as a community their priorities here are seriously misplaced.

I'm just pointing out there's an intimidation factor here with regards to individuals speaking up. I wouldn't have the courage to do it, knowing that I'd be vilified for it.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Oh hey I'm just in time for end of chat.

How do?
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    WoW style MMO combat is pretty much dead. No recent MMO has even tried it, and all are moving towards a more actiony game.

haven't most recent MMOs been financial failures that haemorrhage players within six months of launch?

No WoW style MMO has really launched in the last few years. SWTOR and Rift are probably the last ones? Darkfall is a pvp only joint that requires a sub, but it was made for a tiny amount of money so it's pretty much betting on a niche following.
    There have been 'Freemium', Buy2Play etcet experiments, or games switching to such a model (like swtor)
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    NYTimes wrote:

Yeah, but if the people in the town are crazy and angry enough to randomly attack reporters...you don't want to be the lightning rod for that anger.

Intimidating your opposition has a long and fruitful history in those areas. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the town saying 'um, maybe kids shouldn't have guns before they can do long division' would get a burning cross in their yard or a brick through their window.
    steam_sig.png
    The only modern RPG that I've played where your choices did something was Fable 3.

I do not recommend playing Fable 3 more than once.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cass, the combat is kind of Tera light. I think Echo described it as semi-MOBA like which makes sense.

You have two basic attacks on your mouse, 3 encounter powers which are short cooldowns on qwr, a special on tab and a daily which is a long cooldown/action points based on 1.

It is real time and requires some dodging and attention. Each class plays different. My rogue is mostly balls to the walls damage while my wizard ccs half of the things and nukes the rest. Guardian fighters have an active block. Clerics heal and call down holy fire. Great weapon fighters I think charge and aoe.

Re: GW, yes you have the gist

1. Do your leapy charge
    2. Prepare to melee aoe
    3. Watch mages force push the mobs out of your reach right before your attack goes off

: p

As a Guardian Fighter my opening is Mark(If it's a bigger guy), charge, AoE taunt for damage.

It is my nature to do melee damage alongside a tank.

It is my true calling!

Also the GW fighter daily where you leap into the air and vanish for a second takes a long time, but knocking down everything on the screen with a huge BOOM is hi-larious.

There's an ability I haven't picked up yet that's a pommel bash to a single target to knock prone. I was trying to concentrate on peeling trash off our casters and clerics last night and I think that ability could be good to use liberally when mobs are going where they're not wanted.

Given the default behavior of casters who get aggro is to run around like a crazy person in a set of random directions that excludes towards the tank, I think that's a fine idea.

Indeed

I figure the tank has enough to worry about and unlike my wow rogue days I have scale armor at least, ability to aoe, and can pop my Adderall tab button to go high speed and resist damage.

The sooner the cleric isn't saving himself and casters aren't flinging mobs in one direction while blinking the other the soone they can heal / DPS. My survivability is fine and I'm taking passives to help run speed and stamina. Need to maximize ability to get from A to B and back to the fight.

Also I want a dog companion :l
    zagdrob wrote: »
    NYTimes wrote:

Yeah, but if the people in the town are crazy and angry enough to randomly attack reporters...you don't want to be the lightning rod for that anger.

Intimidating your opposition has a long and fruitful history in those areas. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the town saying 'um, maybe kids shouldn't have guns before they can do long division' would get a burning cross in their yard or a brick through their window.

The only sensible thing to do when you belong to a community like that is to leave.
    The elder scrolls online needs to be as freaky as possible to get all the Orc fuckers and bdsm role players.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    All international disputes should be resolved with a game of Pooh Sticks.
    Yes you are right, there being super mutants and bos on the east coast is dumb

it's not worst game of all time dumb

It depends on what you want out of the game. As a FO game, it is atrocious. As an atmospheric FPS, I also think its pretty terrible. As an RPG that involves dialog? That is where I think it may be one of the worst games ever. The dialog is atrocious, the choices rarely matter, high intelligence options are flagged as being an "I win" button despite being some of the most unintelligent dialog ever written.
    So you're saying you're not fond of Fallout 3, but tastes differ.

Tastes differ, but I think it is pretty easy to demonstrate that FO3 did a bad job at fitting within the lore or fallout, has clunky shooting mechanics, and constructs a world that makes little sense and is too cluttered to be called a wasteland. Also, I think that anyone with basic english reading comprehension skills can see the problems with the dialog.

There are basically three ways that I can see someone liking FO3 which I would not call into question: (1) You could really like Bethesda's brand of being able to loot every object, and the level of attention to detail in filling the world with objects (2) you could just like hybrid shooting/RPG games a lot, and be ok with them not being great at either or (3) you could have little familiarity with better RPGs (especially since the last decade has been dominated by Bethesda and Bioware).

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't even recommend playing Fable once.

Go play Alpha Protocol instead (just pick guns to make the games sometimes wonky combat a non-issue)
    Or FO:NV.
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    2013-05-06.gif

The worst.
    falasig.png
    I wouldn't even recommend playing Fable once.

Go play Alpha Protocol instead (just pick guns to make the games sometimes wonky combat a non-issue)
    Or FO:NV.

Or NWN2:MotB or Vampire:Bloodlines

The only thing to do with towns like that is to out breed them then have a mass emigration destroying their small town bullshit.

Small towns are the blurst.
    _J_ wrote:
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Although funnily enough I actually think that skyrim would be a better game if doing certain things cut you off from doing other things.

It would lead to more focussed characters and make the scope of the game easier to deal with. It depends on the type of player you are, but its openness makes it difficult to get motivated to do anything.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Google Wildstar @anyone who hasn't totally given up on MMOs. It's looking promising, and that's coming from a person who'se played and been burned by more MMOs then I can remember. It's got meaningful player housing at launch for one.

I'm also playing Neverwinter these days which just launched not long ago and is a good bit of fun and has a dungeon creation kit built in for the community to generate more content.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    NYTimes wrote:

The only sensible thing to do when you belong to a community like that is to leave.

Agreed.

Same time, easy to say, a lot harder to do.
    steam_sig.png

Oh man, didn't Obsidian develop KOTOR2? God what a terrible developer! KOTOR2 was all their fault!

This should be infractable.

You know, feeling like part of a complete, real world is a common shortcoming of most games, I find -- even the ones where that is nominally a major selling-point.

Like I just finished GTA4. There were one or two missions where you could complete the objective (killing some dudes) by having them shoot at you and then calling the police on your phone. You do this several times, and eventually there are enough AI cops that they rush in and overwhelm the enemies. That was cool as hell.

Unfortunately that was pretty much the only time in GTA4 that you saw spontaneous AI-on-AI combat. It's made more weird by the fact that Vice City had it; you could dress up as a member of a rival gang, and specific gangs (who roam in packs) would shoot at you on sight. Packs of gangsters would also run into each other at turf borders.

That felt fool and interesting.
    network_sig2.png
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Alpha Protocol was unplayable on PC.
This discussion has been closed.