Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• SheriSheri Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Jimothy reminded me

One thing that really bugged me about IM3 was the ending
    They totally glossed over how Tony 'fixed' Pepper, how it worked, etc etc. I dunno, I just thought it was a little "okay let's wrap this sucker up"

I also prefer Pepper in the suit than Pepper all fire-y and throwing beams at dudes. The latter seemed a little gratuitous, but Pepper in the suit was downright AWESOME (also sexy)?

I feel I may have posted some of this before.
    They glossed over how Tony fixed Pepper, because it was previously established that he figured out how to fix the glitch in Extremis while he was drunk. Since it was pretty much trivial for him to figure it out, they didn't bother devoting any more time than it would take to say, "Yeah, she's fine now."

Yeah, but I didn't really like that.

Here's this HUGE TRAUMATIC THING we did to Pepper and Tony was all "OH GOD NOOOOOO" and it's the end of the world

Oh but we fixed her it's okay now the end
    it is traumatic because the process leads to death half the time. He can't fix her if she explodes. That was the scary part. She could blow up at any time

I dunno
    I'd still be pretty traumatized if someone fucked with my genetics, even if I survived

I just didn't like how it was done

Other people didn't seem to mind it, that's okay, but it's a big thing I didn't like about the movie
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Since it's tv, can they use Spider-Man and X-Men or is live action totally taken by Sony and Fox?
    steam_sig.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I can see the Iron Man 3 violence being polarizing.

I mean, I remember the brouhaha from the Avengers with
    the Hulk smashing Loki like a doll. And Loki sure as hell ain't a robo-alien.
    TrippyJing on
    daft1sig.gif
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    The violence in Iron Man 3 didn't really feel different from any other comic book movie to me...?

Well
    Tony straight up killed guys in this one, occasionally with guns

Also, human bombs
    acblackflag.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    The violence in Iron Man 3 didn't really feel different from any other comic book movie to me...?

Well

Also, human bombs

a7XEx5B.jpg
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I also loved Whedon's commentary on the Hulk/Loki scene.

"If I didn't do anything else, at least I was able to give you this" or something to that effect.

SHIELD promo looks cool. Interested to see if the Coulson thing is more in depth than just some fake out.

Like if he turns out to be Vision or something, I might shit my pants.

He won't be though.

Or will he?!

Probably not.
    Ceno on
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Iron man also killed some fools in his earlier movies. Unless you think that tank was unmanned
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    Sure, but I'd argue Captain America's an exception too, compared to, say, Spider-Man movies, which are very careful to show that Spider-Man never actually kills anyone.
    acblackflag.jpg
    Iron man also killed some fools in his earlier movies. Unless you think that tank was unmanned

And yeah, but even then, it was just an explosion. We never saw anyone die, it was just implied.

Iron Man 3 was a lot less worried about just showing Tony off guys. I didn't mind it, but it was a shift, and I can understand if someone didn't like it.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • Fire TruckFire Truck You were a house on fire And I could never understand whyRegistered User regular

Well

Also, human bombs
    He killed people in IM 1, though?
    dansmith3_zps6f7d5d05.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Now, I don't know much about comics Tony Stark

Is he really supposed to be Batman/Superman-style kill nobody?

He always struck me as a capital punishment type of guy
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    And Cap shot dudes in the Avengers. Thor killed frost giants.

The Marvel movies have not been shy about henchmen biting it.
    2MyOx.png
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular

And yeah, but even then, it was just an explosion. We never saw anyone die, it was just implied.

Iron Man 3 was a lot less worried about just showing Tony off guys. I didn't mind it, but it was a shift, and I can understand if someone didn't like it.

Are you forgetting the scene right before that when he kills a couple terrorists with targeted mini-missiles/bullets?
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    As far as I can tell his morals are about like they are in the movies, where he'll just straight up murder guys.

I think the difference though is that the guys Tony's fighting are usually militants, terrorists, those sorts of guys. Batman and Spider-Man are primarily street-level, so the guys they're not-killing are usually gang members, petty thieves.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm also pretty sure Iron Man straight up shot all those dudes in the forehead when he returned to Afghanistan.
    TrippyJing on
    daft1sig.gif
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    In the first Iron Man movie, he lines up shots on all these dudes holding people hostage and kills like seven people simultaneously. Not to mention the people he torches when escaping.

Cap kills people in his movie and in Avengers. He knocks one guy off the helicarrier.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell his morals are about like they are in the movies, where he'll just straight up murder guys.

I think the difference though is that the guys Tony's fighting are usually militants, terrorists, those sorts of guys. Batman and Spider-Man are primarily street-level, so the guys they're not-killing are usually gang members, petty thieves.

I don't think that is the prevalent difference.

Batman & Spider-Man have distinct opinions on murder as reflected in their own back-stories.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »

Are you forgetting the scene right before that when he kills a couple terrorists with targeted mini-missiles/bullets?

Right, but again, it wasn't exactly gratuitous. They just sort of slumped over. They might have been sleeping darts for all we know!
    In Iron Man 3, he throws his armor on a guy and then makes it self-destruct. There's not a lot of ways to interpret that!

Or how about the Extremis lady in the bar punching 2 cops through the chest

Iron Man 3 was more violent than the other movies!
    acblackflag.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

I think only Spider-Man and mayyyybe Daredevil have a "don't kill anyone ever, even on accident" policy in Marvel

Right, but again, it wasn't exactly gratuitous. They just sort of slumped over. They might have been sleeping darts for all we know!
    In Iron Man 3, he throws his armor on a guy and then makes it self-destruct. There's not a lot of ways to interpret that!

Certainly wouldn't disagree with you on your last claim.

But it isn't like Tony went from a neutral state to ultra-violence.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

I think only Spider-Man and mayyyybe Daredevil have a "don't kill anyone ever, even on accident" policy in Marvel

spidey would've straight murdered hobgoblin before the whole gwen stacey brain reboot thing
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So we had an argument a while back about the amazon myths and whether it was true in the DVD universe. The new demon knights makes what the amazons do to the fathers of their children appallingly clear. Also it played for laughs making me wonder if I still want to read this comic.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Registered User regular
    Since it's tv, can they use Spider-Man and X-Men or is live action totally taken by Sony and Fox?

Last i read somewhere the only rights that Sony has for Spider-Mas is for movies, they made a deal to relinquish everything else.

So theoretically, yes Spider-Man can be in Agents of Shield.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

come on.

Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg

Certainly wouldn't disagree with you on your last claim.

But it isn't like Tony went from a neutral state to ultra-violence.

Then it's a good thing I never said he did.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    oh man I remember green goblin's bombs which turned dudes into skeletons for a second before vaporizing the bones too
    personaqn.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    oh man I remember green goblin's bombs which turned dudes into skeletons for a second before vaporizing the bones too

I loved this

I loved the first Spider-Man so much

I even liked the Green Goblin costume, provided he didn't have the mask on

But the final scenes, just Willem Dafoe decked out in green battle armor? I can dig it
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    @SirEtchwarts, what exactly is your argument?

What is your central thesis?
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

There was a scene he killed multiple terrorists simultaneously with mini-missiles. It reminded me of a scene from Busiek's Avengers.

Unless that tank crew were able to teleport out they were dead. They were at the centre of that explosion.

The tone was usually more comedic then the prior movies, though. 2/3rd's of the movie was a comedy. This made the serious and action scenes seem less dangerous IMO. That's why I'm surprised Anti thought the movie was equal to Dark Knight Rises. No way. The violence in The Dark Knight is more chilling and they are careful to imply lots of things unlike in Iron Man 3.
    Joolander wrote: »

IIRC Daredevil's less strict on that policy than Spider-man.
    Harry Dresden on
    That Iron Man 3 was more violent than a lot of Superhero movies.

Not that he went from Gandhi to a serial killer or something.

come on.

Come on what? Obviously they weren't sleeping darts, but if the movie had told us they were, would it have been that hard to believe? It's not like there was a nice sickening crunch or something. They got hit with a dart looking thing and fell over.

It's a far cry from
    Tony unibeaming through a henchman's chest
    acblackflag.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

Last i read somewhere the only rights that Sony has for Spider-Man is for movies, they made a deal to relinquish everything else.

Oh my what a satisfying kick to the balls that would be to Sony. Not that I think their movies have all been awful or anything but I'm very annoyed Spidey can't be in the MCU for now.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    That Iron Man 3 was more violent than a lot of Superhero movies.

Not that he went from Gandhi to a serial killer or something.

come on.

Come on what? Obviously they weren't sleeping darts, but if the movie had told us they were, would it have been that hard to believe? It's not like there was a nice sickening crunch or something. They got hit with a dart looking thing and fell over.

It's a far cry from
    Tony unibeaming through a henchman's chest

Except in all the movies Stark's weapons are all lethal. He's not Bruce Wayne. He'll straight up shoot you if you cross him.
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Last i read somewhere the only rights that Sony has for Spider-Man is for movies, they made a deal to relinquish everything else.

Oh my what a satisfying kick to the balls that would be to Sony. Not that I think their movies have all been awful or anything but I'm very annoyed Spidey can't be in the MCU for now.

That'd be fucking incredible.