Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    That Iron Man 3 was more violent than a lot of Superhero movies.

Not that he went from Gandhi to a serial killer or something.
    Langly wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Iron man also killed some fools in his earlier movies. Unless you think that tank was unmanned

And yeah, but even then, it was just an explosion. We never saw anyone die, it was just implied.

Iron Man 3 was a lot less worried about just showing Tony off guys. I didn't mind it, but it was a shift, and I can understand if someone didn't like it.

Are you forgetting the scene right before that when he kills a couple terrorists with targeted mini-missiles/bullets?

Right, but again, it wasn't exactly gratuitous. They just sort of slumped over. They might have been sleeping darts for all we know!

come on.

Come on what? Obviously they weren't sleeping darts, but if the movie had told us they were, would it have been that hard to believe? It's not like there was a nice sickening crunch or something. They got hit with a dart looking thing and fell over.

It's a far cry from
    Tony unibeaming through a henchman's chest

This

Was

THE BEST

It was great!

It was just also more violent than the other ones, and if violence is someone's pet peeve when it comes to superhero movies, I can see why it would be off putting.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    oh man I remember green goblin's bombs which turned dudes into skeletons for a second before vaporizing the bones too

I loved this

I loved the first Spider-Man so much

I even liked the Green Goblin costume, provided he didn't have the mask on

But the final scenes, just Willem Dafoe decked out in green battle armor? I can dig it

Of course you can dig it.

Because this is the face of an insane super-villain.

00159-620x350.jpg

really though, they could have just given Dafoe green face paint and a purple hat
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular

So your claim would be that Iron Man 3 is much more violent than a great deal of previous superhero films?

Hmm... I initially disagree with such a claim but will ask for clarity:

What superhero films do you think are more violent then Iron Man 3?

garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Jimothy reminded me

One thing that really bugged me about IM3 was the ending
    They totally glossed over how Tony 'fixed' Pepper, how it worked, etc etc. I dunno, I just thought it was a little "okay let's wrap this sucker up"

I also prefer Pepper in the suit than Pepper all fire-y and throwing beams at dudes. The latter seemed a little gratuitous, but Pepper in the suit was downright AWESOME (also sexy)?

I feel I may have posted some of this before.
    They glossed over how Tony fixed Pepper, because it was previously established that he figured out how to fix the glitch in Extremis while he was drunk. Since it was pretty much trivial for him to figure it out, they didn't bother devoting any more time than it would take to say, "Yeah, she's fine now."

Yeah, but I didn't really like that.

Here's this HUGE TRAUMATIC THING we did to Pepper and Tony was all "OH GOD NOOOOOO" and it's the end of the world

Oh but we fixed her it's okay now the end
    it is traumatic because the process leads to death half the time. He can't fix her if she explodes. That was the scary part. She could blow up at any time

I dunno
    I'd still be pretty traumatized if someone fucked with my genetics, even if I survived

I just didn't like how it was done

Other people didn't seem to mind it, that's okay, but it's a big thing I didn't like about the movie

I'm with Sheri, here.
    I never like it when a good female character gets turned into a damsel.

I mean, I get that she didn't have any superpowers or real combat training, so I get that she's an easy target.

But showing her basically being tortured was really unnecessary.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular

Iron man also killed some fools in his earlier movies. Unless you think that tank was unmanned

And yeah, but even then, it was just an explosion. We never saw anyone die, it was just implied.

Iron Man 3 was a lot less worried about just showing Tony off guys. I didn't mind it, but it was a shift, and I can understand if someone didn't like it.

Are you forgetting the scene right before that when he kills a couple terrorists with targeted mini-missiles/bullets?

Right, but again, it wasn't exactly gratuitous. They just sort of slumped over. They might have been sleeping darts for all we know!

come on.

Come on what? Obviously they weren't sleeping darts, but if the movie had told us they were, would it have been that hard to believe? It's not like there was a nice sickening crunch or something. They got hit with a dart looking thing and fell over.

It's a far cry from
    Tony unibeaming through a henchman's chest

This

Was

THE BEST

It was great!

It was just also more violent than the other ones, and if violence is someone's pet peeve when it comes to superhero movies, I can see why it would be off putting.

I think if violence is your pet peeve, maybe superhero movies aren't for you
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    You mean Gary?

GARY MY NEMESIS????
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Jimothy reminded me

They totally glossed over how Tony 'fixed' Pepper, how it worked, etc etc. I dunno, I just thought it was a little "okay let's wrap this sucker up"

I also prefer Pepper in the suit than Pepper all fire-y and throwing beams at dudes. The latter seemed a little gratuitous, but Pepper in the suit was downright AWESOME (also sexy)?

They glossed over how Tony fixed Pepper, because it was previously established that he figured out how to fix the glitch in Extremis while he was drunk. Since it was pretty much trivial for him to figure it out, they didn't bother devoting any more time than it would take to say, "Yeah, she's fine now."

Here's this HUGE TRAUMATIC THING we did to Pepper and Tony was all "OH GOD NOOOOOO" and it's the end of the world

it is traumatic because the process leads to death half the time. He can't fix her if she explodes. That was the scary part. She could blow up at any time

I dunno
    I'd still be pretty traumatized if someone fucked with my genetics, even if I survived

Other people didn't seem to mind it, that's okay, but it's a big thing I didn't like about the movie

I'm with Sheri, here.

I mean, I get that she didn't have any superpowers or real combat training, so I get that she's an easy target.

But they don't do that any more than they do to the other characters.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular

So your claim would be that Iron Man 3 is much more violent than a great deal of previous superhero films?

Actually, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather drop it. It's not really something I'm invested enough in to argue about, and even if I were, I'm doing a piss-poor job of articulating myself tonight.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Jimothy reminded me

I dunno

I'm with Sheri, here.

But they don't do that any more than they do to the other characters.

Super-heroes in movies aren't tortured, escape quickly or have super-villains imply committing sexual assault when they get their hands on them.
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular

Actually, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather drop it. It's not really something I'm invested enough in to argue about, and even if I were, I'm doing a piss-poor job of articulating myself tonight.

Fair enough.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think he means the other
    Extremis peeps.
    TrippyJing on
    daft1sig.gif
    It is just when I think of violent superhero films I start at Punisher: War Zone.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    A film everyone should watch.

Once.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I

I totally thought the goons in the Middle East were knocked out or something in the first Iron Man when he rescues those hostages.
    daft2.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    I wonder
    how many test subjects Killian went through before he decided it was a safe enough risk to use Extremis on himself?
    daft1sig.gif
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I

I totally thought the goons in the Middle East were knocked out or something in the first Iron Man when he rescues those hostages.

Oh, Gatsby.
    jkZziGc.png
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    no man

he shot them

he shot them with bullets
    personaqn.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    no man

he shot them

he shot them with bullets

And explosives!
    2MyOx.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Like everything else yeah dude killed other dudes

That part though I don't even know what my brain was doing
    daft2.gif
    I don't think we have seen a single piece of equipment on the Iron Man suits which is designed for nonlethal pacification

We don't have a whole lot of details on the sort of energy the hand repulsors emit. and it seems to be just pure kinetic force, so I suppose it's possible to crank those down a bit and it would just be like getting punched really hard? But I'm just bullshitting there

Otherwise literally everything on the suit is for killin'
    edited May 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't think we have seen a single piece of equipment on the Iron Man suits which is designed for nonlethal pacification

We don't have a whole lot of details on the sort of energy the hand repulsors emit. and it seems to be just pure kinetic force, so I suppose it's possible to crank those down a bit and it would just be like getting punched really hard? But I'm just bullshitting there

Tony Stark's technology is so dangerous even the stuff he builds for non-lethal purposes kill people.
    Harry Dresden on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Repulsors have been fairly non-lethal in other Iron Man things.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
    I guess my final observation on the difference between the violence in IM1 and IM3 is that IM3 tends to linger a bit more on those scenes.

I still really enjoyed the film, but I definitely felt myself wincing a lot more in it at every hit and shot.
    daft2.gif
    Repulsors have been fairly non-lethal in other Iron Man things.

Not in the movies, though.

its a flight stabilizer, geez

Well...
    ...there is that flashbang thing he gave the kid.
    daft1sig.gif
    Oh yeah! Okay, one thing
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Now, I don't know much about comics Tony Stark

Is he really supposed to be Batman/Superman-style kill nobody?

He always struck me as a capital punishment type of guy

I think only Spider-Man and mayyyybe Daredevil have a "don't kill anyone ever, even on accident" policy in Marvel

I get the impression from the comics that the Avengers have a general policy of "arrest if at all possible, kill only as a last resort".
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Kinda

They do individually but when they are, well, assembled they try not to kill. What with the team being bigger than any one person's views.

It is why Tony brought Logan on, they needed someone who could cross that line while keeping the Avengers name moderately unblemished.
    right, which is the default policy of heroes in Marvel. maybe a bit more "...but I don't have to save you" at times, but still

whereas over at DC the default policy is "never ever EVER kill, even on accident, no exceptions," generally speaking
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kinda

They do individually but when they are, well, assembled they try not to kill. What with the team being bigger than any one person's views.

It is why Tony brought Logan on, they needed someone who could cross that line while keeping the Avengers name moderately unblemished.

I thought Tony brought Logan on because Logan's the best at what he does.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Kinda

That's not going to keep the Avengers from being blemished by Wolverine killing folks. He'd have to be either in a covert group or kept unconnected from the Avengers as an outsider. Being a member is a public endorsement for Wolverine's actions.
    Harry Dresden on
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Also kiiinda not true

Batman and Superman, sure.

Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and (I think) Martian Manhunter have all been willing to use lethal force if the situation requires it
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Kinda

I thought Tony brought Logan on because Logan's the best at what he does.

And what he does ain't pretty.
    I imagine people like Green Lantern and Wonder Woman would have no problem using lethal force if it came down to it, as a result of their back-stories/professions.

Maybe even the Flash as well what with him being in law enforcement.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Also kiiinda not true

Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and (I think) Martian Manhunter have all been willing to use lethal force if the situation requires it

Green Lanterns weren't allowed to kill with their rings until the Guardians changed the laws in the Book of Oa. Not sure whether that's canon post-new 52.
    Also kiiinda not true

GL and Flash? since when? can you give examples?