Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kinda

They do individually but when they are, well, assembled they try not to kill. What with the team being bigger than any one person's views.

It is why Tony brought Logan on, they needed someone who could cross that line while keeping the Avengers name moderately unblemished.

That's not going to keep the Avengers from being blemished by Wolverine killing folks. He'd have to be either in a covert group or kept unconnected from the Avengers as an outsider. Being a member is a public endorsement for Wolverine's actions.
    Well they weren't planning on having him murder a supervillain in the middle of a press conference, what's up Rogue.

They specifically mentioned Scarlet Witch as the type of scenario where they would need him. If the news got out, well hey it is just Wolverine that guy is nuts! If it didn't then Logan got to do what he does best and keep a death off someone else's conscience.
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    IM3
    it was nice to see Yinsen again! I had no idea he was in the cast for this one. Same conference he referenced in the first movie?
    I would assume so, if only because Tony doesn't seem to have remembered anyone else at that conference, and in the first movie they mention his not remembering Yinsen.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Also kiiinda not true

Batman and Superman, sure.

Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and (I think) Martian Manhunter have all been willing to use lethal force if the situation requires it

GL and Flash? since when? can you give examples?
    GLs have been sanctioned to use lethal force for a while. I think it was the Sinestro Corps War? Which makes sense because they are cops and all.

And Barry Allen snapped Professor Zoom's neck to save his wife.
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Also kiiinda not true

Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and (I think) Martian Manhunter have all been willing to use lethal force if the situation requires it

In the 1980s, Flash's life begins to collapse. Iris is murdered by Professor Zoom (a supervillain from the 25th century who had long loved her and been jealous of Allen), and when Allen prepares to marry another woman, Zoom tries the same trick again. Allen stops him, killing Zoom in the process by breaking his neck. Unfortunately, due to Barry being unable to make an appearance at his own wedding, his fiancée eventually descends into madness.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Repulsors have been fairly non-lethal in other Iron Man things.

Not in the movies, though.

Which is why I said other Iron Man things. As a comparison.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Also kiiinda not true

In the 1980s, Flash's life begins to collapse. Iris is murdered by Professor Zoom (a supervillain from the 25th century who had long loved her and been jealous of Allen), and when Allen prepares to marry another woman, Zoom tries the same trick again. Allen stops him, killing Zoom in the process by breaking his neck. Unfortunately, due to Barry being unable to make an appearance at his own wedding, his fiancée eventually descends into madness.

He couldn't...just make a phone call or something?
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Kinda

They do individually but when they are, well, assembled they try not to kill. What with the team being bigger than any one person's views.

It is why Tony brought Logan on, they needed someone who could cross that line while keeping the Avengers name moderately unblemished.

That's not going to keep the Avengers from being blemished by Wolverine killing folks. He'd have to be either in a covert group or kept unconnected from the Avengers as an outsider. Being a member is a public endorsement for Wolverine's actions.
    Well they weren't planning on having him murder a supervillain in the middle of a press conference, what's up Rogue.

He doesn't have to. All he needs to do is get caught doing it to some random super-criminal/terrorist lackeys and the Avengers would to deal with the consequences. Which would get out eventually. When Wolverine is on missions bodies pile up. They also need to worry about the press discovering the people he's murdered while being an X-man.
    They specifically mentioned Scarlet Witch as the type of scenario where they would need him. If the news got out, well hey it is just Wolverine that guy is nuts! If it didn't then Logan got to do what he does best and keep a death off someone else's conscience.

That only works once. Then they'd have to kick him off the team when the public learnt what he did.
    Harry Dresden on
    Which I am pretty sure was the gameplan? When Logan joined the Avengers he wasnt expecting it to be a long term thing.

But here we are a decade later.
  • HunteraHuntera Registered User regular
    Does DC still do those 15 minute animated shorts in the front of their movies?

I really liked everything in this Superman/Shazam! thing on netflix and I think I remember someone saying that's where they come from?
  • SheriSheri Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Jimothy reminded me

One thing that really bugged me about IM3 was the ending
    They totally glossed over how Tony 'fixed' Pepper, how it worked, etc etc. I dunno, I just thought it was a little "okay let's wrap this sucker up"

I also prefer Pepper in the suit than Pepper all fire-y and throwing beams at dudes. The latter seemed a little gratuitous, but Pepper in the suit was downright AWESOME (also sexy)?

I feel I may have posted some of this before.
    They glossed over how Tony fixed Pepper, because it was previously established that he figured out how to fix the glitch in Extremis while he was drunk. Since it was pretty much trivial for him to figure it out, they didn't bother devoting any more time than it would take to say, "Yeah, she's fine now."

Yeah, but I didn't really like that.

Here's this HUGE TRAUMATIC THING we did to Pepper and Tony was all "OH GOD NOOOOOO" and it's the end of the world

Oh but we fixed her it's okay now the end
    it is traumatic because the process leads to death half the time. He can't fix her if she explodes. That was the scary part. She could blow up at any time

I dunno
    I'd still be pretty traumatized if someone fucked with my genetics, even if I survived

I just didn't like how it was done

Other people didn't seem to mind it, that's okay, but it's a big thing I didn't like about the movie

I'm with Sheri, here.
    I never like it when a good female character gets turned into a damsel.

I mean, I get that she didn't have any superpowers or real combat training, so I get that she's an easy target.

But showing her basically being tortured was really unnecessary.

That's totally not what I said but I don't disagree with it
    Which I am pretty sure was the gameplan? When Logan joined the Avengers he wasnt expecting it to be a long term thing.

It's difficult to have situations come up that can kick him off the team when he's one of their most popular members. Losing Logan means readers leave the title.
    Huntera wrote: »
    Does DC still do those 15 minute animated shorts in the front of their movies?

I really liked everything in this Superman/Shazam! thing on netflix and I think I remember someone saying that's where they come from?
    Nah, they stopped.

Which sucks because they were awesome.

Well except for Catwoman. That one was really, really bad.
  • HunteraHuntera Registered User regular
    That Catwoman one is conveniently not in this collection

It's difficult to have situations come up that can kick him off the team when he's one of their most popular members. Losing Logan means readers leave the title.
    You are using reader logic on a story problem.

Everything I am talking about is in the actual 616, obviously Wolverine isn't leaving the Avengers because ka ching but they gave a pretty reasonable explanation for him being on there and why he ended up sticking around.
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    why would the public give a shit if wolverine kills someone
    personaqn.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Man, that Agents of SHIELD promo sure didn't have a lot to say.

I'm sure it'll be a little rough at first, with a bunch of standalone stories in the first season, then by season 2/3 it'll be fucking great and kind of dark with a charismatic villain.

Basically I'm expecting a Whedon show.
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    I'm sure there will be plenty of snark once the show actually starts.
    edited May 2013
    -Tal wrote: »
    why would the public give a shit if wolverine kills someone

The Avengers are well known for not killing their enemies. Its a thing. Excluding the MCU.
    Harry Dresden on
    in fact I'm pretty sure much of the public would praise Wolverine for killing some supervillains
    personaqn.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The Lanterns were definitely using lethal force during the Sinestro Corps War
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The Lanterns were definitely using lethal force during the Sinestro Corps War

That's when the law was changed. Before that they couldn't. It was a major reason why Sinestro made the war occur.
    in fact I'm pretty sure much of the public would praise Wolverine for killing some supervillains
    Yes but Captain America and Iron Man wouldn't.

Thor would probably okay with it.

It is just a very slippery slope once the premiere team of powerful superheroes start killing dudes outright. Steve and Tony have both killed people on their own, but like I said The Avengers is supposed to represent something more than just one or two people. They have to hold themselves to a higher standard when they are operating under the Avengers name.
    seems like the kind of threats that would require bringing everyone together are also the kind of threats where you would be more likely to have to kill someone
    personaqn.png
    edited May 2013
    seems like the kind of threats that would require bringing everyone together are also the kind of threats where you would be more likely to have to kill someone

They're also the kind of threats beyond Wolverine's abilities to kill.

edit: Wolvie would only have been able to stop Wanda under very limited circumstances. He had to get close enough to catch her before she finished her sentence, which is difficult to do since it was a short sentence and she was improvising. And she knows all about him, too. If he didn't kill her in the right mid-sentence he killed an innocent (if she wasn't going to do anything bad since she's usually not evil) or he's too late and nothing changes.
    Harry Dresden on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    This is off the topic of the Marvel discussion

Other people have said it in the past, myself included, but if you ever want to do a fun little social experiment, buy yourself a Superman shirt, and see just how many people stop to talk to you or comment on it

Any variety will do

I used to have the standard blue shirt with the logo on it, haven't had one for a little while now. Yesterday I picked up a Man of Steel shirt which has the movie version of the shield across the front of it

And even with the modified shield, I was stopped well over ten times today, people either saying something as simple as "Nice shirt!" or a few people even stopping me to ask how I thought the new movie was going to be. Obviously I think it's gonna be pretty good if I bought a shirt with the movie logo on it but I didn't point that out 'cause ain't no need to be a dick, just sat and chatted about Superman and superhero films for a few minutes

So, if you're in the mood to have random people approach you and engage in conversation, buy a Superman shirt
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    That strategy also works with video game shirts.

I bought one with Mordin Solus on it and got lots of compliments.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist Look at the faces. Listen to the bells. It's hard to believe we need a place called hell.Registered User regular
    I have this one.

hr56aJj.jpg

Gunna wear it to MoS.
    watchman25ia7ku.jpg291.gif
    Steam: cristke
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Of the game shirts I have, the only time I've ever usually stopped on them is, well, when I'm at a game store or something

My favorite was a shirt that had the numbers from Lost

Because people either knew, or if they didn't, they'd ask if they were lottery numbers

And I'd say "...Yes.

Sort of."
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    everyone likes superman
    personaqn.png
    everyone likes superman

Except people that don't

Because he's boring, you see

He's just too strong
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    I was mostly wearing it on a college campus, so that's kind of like a game store.

And to be fair it was just 2 instances: one guy who just complimented it which led to a conversation about how great Mass Effect is

And another scenario in which (references ME3 spoilers, so I'll put it in spoilers)
    They saluted me, which I took as a reference to Mordin's most popular fate in ME3
    acblackflag.jpg
    I...really should get around to ME3
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I feel like I should wear an iron man shirt to man of steel

and a superman shirt to wolverine

and a wolverine shirt to thor
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This is off the topic of the Marvel discussion

Other people have said it in the past, myself included, but if you ever want to do a fun little social experiment, buy yourself a Superman shirt, and see just how many people stop to talk to you or comment on it

Any variety will do

I used to have the standard blue shirt with the logo on it, haven't had one for a little while now. Yesterday I picked up a Man of Steel shirt which has the movie version of the shield across the front of it

And even with the modified shield, I was stopped well over ten times today, people either saying something as simple as "Nice shirt!" or a few people even stopping me to ask how I thought the new movie was going to be. Obviously I think it's gonna be pretty good if I bought a shirt with the movie logo on it but I didn't point that out 'cause ain't no need to be a dick, just sat and chatted about Superman and superhero films for a few minutes

So, if you're in the mood to have random people approach you and engage in conversation, buy a Superman shirt

I have one, and I wear it pretty frequently, but I've only ever gotten one comment on it

I think most people are okay with this sort of thing

I'm guessing Marvel fans vs. DC fans isn't something that exists outside of people that are annoying anyways

Last year when I went to The Avengers midnight showing, they showed the Dark Knight Rises trailer and when it was over, a guy in the back yelled "EVERYONE SEE THAT TOO!" and there was much clapping around the theater
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

semi related

are there any cool Iron Man shirts? I have never seen one
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The current storyline in Uncanny Avengers is exactly about secret dark shit Wolverine did in his non-Avengers time that is now coming back to haunt him and them in a big way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have had some fun conversations due to wearing superhero shirts.

Once I was pretty high and we stopped at a gas station to get snacks. I was wearing a Flash t shirt. So I am filling up my cup at the fountain when I notice A) there is a cop and B)he is staring at me oh no.

I try to be as nonchalant as possible but probably looked dumb as hell. He walks over to me.

"Hey."

OH NO

I look up at him.

"Shazam, right?" As he points at me.

I was very confused until I look down and remember what I am wearing. Told him it was actually The Flash.

He just laughs. "Aw, Shazam was my favorite as a kid." I told him I thought Shazam was pretty rad too. He gives me a friendly nod and then gave a little fist pump and went "Shazam!"

That cop was the best

This is the best thing I have ever read