Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i didnt think iron man 3 was remotely close to funny

it also lacked bad dudes that i thought were memorable
    killian was no justin hammer, or even obidiah or vanko

The Half in the Bag guys didn't seem to like the humor much, either.

Which is weird, because I laughed at pretty much every joke. Black's style totally worked for me.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The iron man shirt i wore to iron man 3 is a black shirt (surprise, a nerd wearing black!) with screenprinted white shapes in a cluster on the chest to make it look like an arc reactor is glowing underneath my shirt.

Also the shapes glow in the dark.

I bought it at the drafthouse a few years ago. I think it was made for the staff to wear during the premiere of iron man 2.

Kind of like this, minus the glow.

http://hideyourarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/qwertee-male-mockup_17_500x500-480x480.jpg
    Renzo on
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I would dare say Vanko is the weakest villain in the MCU so far

Amen, brother
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Like if you don't dig Iron Man 3 that is cool I guess

But Vanko and Stane and Hammer are all pretty shitty villains

Stane and Hammer are fun performances, but as far as credible threats and well thought out plans go I think Iron Man 3 had the best by far.

And
    I thought Killian pulled off the "Gonna be Tony Stark" thing way better than Hammer.
    Hammer was hilarious and Stane was scary though
    Vanko, while I liked certain parts of his performance, had very little impact as a whole
    Stane is so great

Not as a villain, sure

But goddamn it's a joy watching a bald bearded Jeff Bridges chomping on a cigar zipping around on a Segway and eating New York pizza

Yeah, Bridges' performance is what made Stane as good as he was.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah Stane was a blast to watch

But he kind of sucked as a villain

He was very one dimensional

And yeah Hammer was hilarious but that was because of how ineffective he was
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    it's a damn shame stane probably isn't gonna come back because he was so much fun to watch

Being dead tends to put that kind of damper on one's appearances, yes
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Also my name is Tony so whenever Stane started a sentence with "Tony..." it was like he was talking to me
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    how did he suck as a villain if he was fun to watch
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Actually, i think what i liked most about this movie

Is how the tone shifted from DKR grimdarkness in the beginning to just jokes and fun somewhere around hanging out with the kid and finding out about trevor
    PartyPat.jpg
    His motivation was "I am evil" and his plan was basically "Hey, do that thing Tony did."

You can have an entertaining performance while still being a shitty villain

it's a damn shame stane probably isn't gonna come back because he was so much fun to watch

I have to admit--out of all the MCU villains who ended up dead--Stane is the only one I wish had been defeated through non-lethal means.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Sadly Stane's "Box of Scraps" line is a worn-out meme, because god damn I loved that reading the first time.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    you guys are nailing why i dont like iron man 3's villain

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorable

you can also be brutal/memorable like with Silva in Skyfall

IM3's villain wasnt even close
    Antimatter on
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorablr

No, we're only nailing it from your point of view

I thought he was plenty memorable

Like, pretty up there as far as superhero film villains go
    wRbeRNg.jpg

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorable

I agree with you to a certain extant, but I feel like IM3's villain was smack dab in between 1 and 2's in terms of how enjoyable they were to watch.

Which is partly why I rank the Iron Man movies as 1 > 3 > 2.
    edited May 2013
    Personally I thought IM3
    Pearce did a great job as Killian. He was smooth and collected pretty much the entire movie. The only time he lost his shit was at the very end before Pepper killed him.

He wasn't there to get revenge(well, not primarily), or send a message or take over the world. He had a very specific set of goals and managed to follow them pretty perfectly and be charismatic as hell throughout.
    Blankzilla on
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorablr

No, we're only nailing it from your point of view
    did i say any fucking different

piss off
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    He is very Syndrome-like.
    daft1sig.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Sadly Stane's "Box of Scraps" line is a worn-out meme, because god damn I loved that reading the first time.

I still love it

Deep down I still love it, I'm just very strongly against regurgitating memes.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    His motivation was "I am evil" and his plan was basically "Hey, do that thing Tony did."

Eh, his motivation was reclaiming the company he felt he had ownership over because he built it up and had more claim to it than the young upstart who inherited it.

And his plan was to keep maneuvering around Tony to try and take control of the company, until Pepper stumbled onto the hit video and managed to walk into SHIELD custody before Stane could do anything. At that point his plan was likely get the suit operational and try to sell it on the black market (just my speculation) but before he could fully flee, the SHIELD agents showed up, so he got into the suit to fight them off, decided to kill Pepper on the way out, but then Tony shows up and, well, he ain't going to leave without grinding the guy "responsible" for ruining his life into dust.

At least that was my take-away from the movie. Though I will admit I've probably seen it a dozen or more times.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
    Now that I think about it, Iron Man 2 left pretty much no impression on me.

The handful of scenes I can actually recall are all in the trailers, too.
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i didnt think iron man 3 was remotely close to funny

it also lacked bad dudes that i thought were memorable
    killian was no justin hammer, or even obidiah or vanko

Man, fuck Justin Hammer. I couldn't stand him in Iron Man 2.

I'll take a competent antagonist over a useless whiny heel any day.
    Goatmon on
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
    When I watched Iron Man 2 recently, the weird thing I noted about it was that, from an audio/visual standpoint, it lacked a ton of impact

Vanko taking out the cars, the Tony/Rhodey fight, they just seem really...flat for some reason

Vanko just whipping at the concrete as he advances toward Tony, it was menacing, yeah, but I don't think it should feel more impacting than the fact that he just sliced a bunch of cars in half
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    I like what the Mandarin does but I don't really like him, if that makes sense?

Like he does a good job of being an antagonistic force but he is not himself a memorable character
    personaqn.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Funny bit from IM3.
    When Tony is chewing out Jarvis for taking them to Tennese, and Jarvis responds. "I made a flight plan!"

It had this perfect mix of incredulity and exasperation. I loved it.
    Ad astra on
    Vanko had the right ingredients to be a good villain, but the final fight scene amounts to little.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Iron Man 2 was just wasted potential. Hammer was too stupid to pose a threat and Vanko just wasn't given enough to do.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I love Stane as a villain and for pure entertainment, and I think it's great we still talk about him because that's how memorable he is. He's still my favourite of the Iron Man bad guys in the MCU.
    daft2.gif
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Eh, his motivation was reclaiming the company he felt he had ownership over because he built it up and had more claim to it than the young upstart who inherited it.

And his plan was to keep maneuvering around Tony to try and take control of the company, until Pepper stumbled onto the hit video and managed to walk into SHIELD custody before Stane could do anything. At that point his plan was likely get the suit operational and try to sell it on the black market (just my speculation) but before he could fully flee, the SHIELD agents showed up, so he got into the suit to fight them off, decided to kill Pepper on the way out, but then Tony shows up and, well, he ain't going to leave without grinding the guy "responsible" for ruining his life into dust.

At least that was my take-away from the movie. Though I will admit I've probably seen it a dozen or more times.
    I would buy the "trying to reclaim his empire" motivation a lot more if he wasn't a self proclaimed Iron Monger who was selling guns to and calling hits with terrorist organizations.

He wasn't killing Tony because Tony took the company. Pre arc reactor Tony was an ass who partied every day and pulled shit like the award ceremony.

Stane is just a pretty stereotypical greedy evil CEO played by an awesome actor.