Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Antimatter wrote: »
    you guys are nailing why i dont like iron man 3's villain

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorable

you can also be brutal/memorable like with Silva in Skyfall

IM3's villain wasnt even close

I think that given the villians motivations not being memorable was kind of the point
    King Riptor on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    -Tal wrote: »
    Vanko's problem as a villain was not the lack of a big final fight

the problem is that he had some pretty legitimate grievances against the Starks but Tony is never forced to confront them because all Vanko does is mindlessly blow shit up

Eh

"Revenge on behalf of your parents" is like the weakest shit

sad-batman.jpg

Oh, I see how it is.

CD gets all the love for a joke I made several posts before.

I can tell when I'm not wanted.
    Stilts on
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    I thought the big thing about batman was that he never lets it be about revenge.

It's about protecting the innocent so that nobody else has to deal with what he had to deal with.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • Fire TruckFire Truck You were a house on fire And I could never understand whyRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Vanko's problem as a villain was not the lack of a big final fight

the problem is that he had some pretty legitimate grievances against the Starks but Tony is never forced to confront them because all Vanko does is mindlessly blow shit up

Eh

"Revenge on behalf of your parents" is like the weakest shit

sad-batman.jpg

Oh, I see how it is.

CD gets all the love for a joke I made several posts before.

I can tell when I'm not wanted.

Who are you, again?
    dansmith3_zps6f7d5d05.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Isn't vengeance a different thing from revenge?

Insert revengeance joke here.

EDIT: I'm thinking avenge, nevermind.
    Undead Scottsman on
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    a world gone wrong... #makeitright #damnitstrue #coulsonlives
    personaqn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    you guys are nailing why i dont like iron man 3's villain

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorable

you can also be brutal/memorable like with Silva in Skyfall

IM3's villain wasnt even close

I think that given the villians motivations not being memorable was kind of the point

Well then they failed because I will be saying

Pepper.... please.

For years to come.
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    really wish IM2 had actually run with the "blood in the water" thing regarding ivan's attack on stark

just ivan proving that iron man isn't untouchable, and then afterwards tony starts feeling it from every angle, people popping out of the woodwork to take a shot at him

instead vanko starts doing whatever random bullshit he can think of and woosh bam explosions

I did a write up of everything I thought could have been easily fixed in IM2 that would have made it a better movie. My primary point was that if you did Vanko's attack in the stinger and maybe even be the thing that poisons Tony then Vanko would have appeared much stronger then he did.

About IM3 and Violence for Adventure movies
    I generally compare any movie to The Mummy or MIB to decide if I think its to creepy/violent for kids. That's the line for me and I feel like IM3 sits comfortably on the safe side. People blow up and grow back and shit but its all cartoony enough that most children won't be bothered.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    You're thinking of the Makulan themselves, not Fin.

Oh, I have full confidence in Marvel to get a dragon, or dragon thing, into a movie and make it work. At this point, I think if they realeased Captain America as a dragon they could do well.

But what I don't think they'll be able to do, is sell people on the name Fin Fang Foom without supernatural help. I'm sure Satan already has the contract drawn up if they want to try.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    If he appears, they're not gonna call him Fin Fang Foom, similar to the Tesseract.
    daft1sig.gif
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    The Leviathans in Avengers were already pretty crazy and also serpent like

I expect Avengers 2 and Guardians to go even crazier
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    If he appears, they're not gonna call him Fin Fang Foom, similar to the Tesseract.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, except it seems I pruned the quote tree too much. I figure big dragon is very possible, corny name is not, even for Marvel.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Iron Man 3 does things with it's lead character that most franchises would touch with a ten foot pole.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, except it seems I pruned the quote tree too much. I figure big dragon is very possible, corny name is not, even for Marvel.

Ah, that's reasonable.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    I don't care if they call him Fin Fang Foom

I don't care if he has purple shorts

all he needs is that distinctive face and to be some shade of green and ten stories tall
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular

all he needs is that distinctive face and to be some shade of green and ten stories tall

But the best Fin Fang Foom ever is only, like, eight feet tall!
    2MyOx.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    WHERE'S MY FIN FANG FOUR MOVIE, MARVEL STUDIOS????
    edited May 2013
    What the fuck is Fin Fang Four?

EDIT: Holy shit, that's a thing that actually exists? I thought you just made a typo!
    Undead Scottsman on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    What the fuck is Fin Fang Four?

EDIT: Holy shit, that's a thing that actually exists? I thought you just made a typo!

It exists, and it is great. You need to get a copy.
    2MyOx.png

Same here, but that's because I know the character beyond just a name. I'm speculating that it won't work with people who don't.

Maybe they could rename him the Whizzer. There's a name that nobody would think was dumb.

yes they would because it is dumb
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    RESEARCH BEFORE YOU CALL OUT A BRO

YOU JERK

I AIN'T MAKE NO TYPOS WHEN I TALKIN' 'BOUT FOOM, SUCKA
    406px-Acotilletta2--Whizzer_(Robert_Frank).jpg

I have a yellow uniform, and super speed. Now what name should I take? The Whizzer! That will never be turned into a joke by my enemies.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular

Same here, but that's because I know the character beyond just a name. I'm speculating that it won't work with people who don't.

what part of a giant alien dragon wrecking Hong Kong do you think wouldn't work with the general public

what part of a giant alien dragon wrecking Hong Kong do you think wouldn't work with the general public

The part where someone points at it and says "my god, it's our worst nightmare, Fin Fang Foom."

The rest I think would work.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well it was a different time back then.

No Whizzer it was not.
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular

I have a yellow uniform, and super speed. Now what name should I take? The Whizzer! That will never be turned into a joke by my enemies.

i-M4CpSv5-X3.jpg
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
    Goatmon wrote: »

i-M4CpSv5-X3.jpg

They say that as the Whizzer got older, he became even faster. Sometimes he'd even unexpectedly have bursts of super speed.

Nobody knows for sure though, because when he's asked if it's true, he only responds with "Depends".

The part where someone points at it and says "my god, it's our worst nightmare, Fin Fang Foom."

my point was they don't need to call him Fin Fang Foom at all though
    edited May 2013

my point was they don't need to call him Fin Fang Foom at all though

I'm agreeing with you on that. Like I said, with Marvel's track record, if Captain America turned into a dragon in the next movie I think they'd have a fair chance of pulling it off.

But not even Marvel would be able to sell Fin Fang Foom the name. Maybe just Fin, as a nickname for some made up unpronouncable alien name though.
    Binary Squid on
    You can make a lot of things sound terrifying with the right accent.
    detail-1.jpg
    You can make a lot of things sound terrifying with the right accent.

There's no accent on earth that could make that sound anything but funny. I don't care because I love the character, but it ain't happening without some major Satan mojo backing it.

I'll believe a lot of things: when Man of Steel arrives I'll believe someone can fly, but I just can't believe that Fin Fang Foom as a name would work with an audience unfamiliar to comics when I've seen a 12 year old laugh at it.
    why wouldn't they be able to sell Fin Fang Foom the name
    personaqn.png
    edited May 2013
    For the same reason the Whizzer would be a tougher sell than another character.

But if they do, I'm going to be looking for the actors exclaiming Hail Satan in the next few Disney movies, is all I'm saying.
    Binary Squid on
    For the same reason the Whizzer would be a tougher sell than another character.

But if they do, I'm going to be looking for the actors exclaiming Hail Satan in the next few Disney movies, is all I'm saying.

Your constant reference to pacts with the devil are freaking me out.
    detail-1.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Whizzer is a word that means someone taking a piss

Fin Fang Foom is not
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
    I'm referring to a different Satan: Satan Jones who happens to be a wizard in marketing. You'd like him, he's a real go getter.
    Whizzer is a word that means someone taking a piss

Fin Fang Foom is not

How do you know Tal?

Can you speak Magic Space Dragon?
    detail-1.jpg