Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    But damn could that man dance
  • Fire TruckFire Truck You were a house on fire And I could never understand whyRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    you guys are nailing why i dont like iron man 3's villain

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorable

you can also be brutal/memorable like with Silva in Skyfall

IM3's villain wasnt even close

I think Killian could have had a clearer motivation to make him more memorable, but I thought Pearce's performance was plenty good.
    dansmith3_zps6f7d5d05.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Here is Sam Rockwell dancing from eight movies (well, seven movies and a TV show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB7Vb2_QpA0
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Stane was also about AMERICA
    daft1sig.gif
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Admittedly I also vasty preferred Savin over the Mandarin the more I think about it, it was good to see a bad guy let alone the alpha henchman relish being bad.
    daft2.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »

i really dont give too much of a shit how effective you are with being a bad guy so long as youre memorable

I think Killian could have had a clearer motivation to make him more memorable, but I thought Pearce's performance was plenty good.

IM3
    His motivation seemed really clear to me, though. Control both sides of the war on terror for profit, and with heroes and villains emerging left and right you have to step up your game.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »

He had an exceptionally clear motivation, he literally spelled out his plan. In the wake of Thor and the Avengers there is a superhuman arms race brewing. By having the, soon to be, President in one pocket and the "Mandarin" in the other he would control both ends of the war on terror and sell Extremis to both sides for incredible profits.

Tony getting involved only happened after Tony called out the Mandarin. If Happy hadn't gotten injured Killian's plan probably would have gone perfectly.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Vanko's problem as a villain was not the lack of a big final fight

the problem is that he had some pretty legitimate grievances against the Starks but Tony is never forced to confront them because all Vanko does is mindlessly blow shit up

Eh

"Revenge on behalf of your parents" is like the weakest shit
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular

the problem is that he had some pretty legitimate grievances against the Starks but Tony is never forced to confront them because all Vanko does is mindlessly blow shit up

Eh

How so?
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg

Eh

How so?

Personal preference, I guess?

I just think it's really weak motivation for any character
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    You know what, I just thought of something.
    Not only would Killian be the supplier of Extremis to both sides, they would end up becoming dependent on him for regulation, otherwise...kablooey. Had it been totally fixed, that is.
    daft1sig.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Eh

Stilts on
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
    Gatsby wrote: »

Eh

Yeah but "revenge on behalf of your parent responsible for an immense source of energy that is now being used in a gaudy heroic fashion with no recognition despite the fat that you can reproduce it"

That is a super interesting set up and wasn't followed through as much as I would've liked in IM2

Fair enough

It's easy enough to forget about since IM2 glosses over it so much
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    it would have been great if the crucial information needed to fix the arc reactor came not from a god damn map of StarkWorld but from Ivan Vanko

Agree.

Agree.

Can't agree enough.

Not only would that remove one of the weakest sequences from the entire MCU, but holy shit the things you could do with that plot-wise.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular

A legitimate point. A longer fight doesn't just have to be Iron Man Doing Cool Things, it could have had them arguing over this, or Tony reflects on this issue after everything has settled (I haven't watched IM2 in a while so I might be missing details).
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i also didnt like angelou's treatment in the movie
    sure tony take a moral high ground against her for whatever fucking reason

and then kill her off movie, sure, not like she could have done interesting stuff
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I am really disappointed with Rebecca Hall's treatment in the movie
    daft2.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    i also didnt like angelou's treatment in the movie
    sure tony take a moral high ground against her for whatever fucking reason

and then kill her off movie, sure, not like she could have done interesting stuff

Yeah, that was...weird.

Seemed like a waste.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
    Even The Princess Bride half-heartedly admits that it's weak motivation

Sure, when the chance presents itself he takes it, but Inigo admits that letting it rule his life was wasteful and discouraging
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Yeah, the first fight they have is really good if only because "You're not untouchable" was the goal.
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Anton Vanko got deported to Siberia because... he wanted to sell the arc reactor for profit

and then Howard Stark continued to sell weapons for profit until the day of his death
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
    To be honest, I don't think Howard would've approved of Stane's actions either.
    daft1sig.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    Tony Stark made the arc reactor in a cave with a box of scraps

Ivan Vanko made the arc reactor in a shitty little hovel with a box of scraps

if Howard Stark had let Anton Vanko stay and they continued working on it and then Tony and Ivan also became bros and worked on it we would have free energy by now
    personaqn.png
    edited May 2013
    Even The Princess Bride half-heartedly admits that it's weak motivation

Sure, when the chance presents itself he takes it, but Inigo admits that letting it rule his life was wasteful and discouraging

What can I say, Vanko is a sentimental man. I mean, he used his reactor to attack Stark instead of selling it, and was willing to go down in flames just for a shot at Stark. And what's more, he loves his burd.
    TrippyJing on
    daft1sig.gif
    Tony Stark made the arc reactor in a cave with a box of scraps

Ivan Vanko made the arc reactor in a shitty little hovel with a box of scraps

if Howard Stark had let Anton Vanko stay and they continued working on it and then Tony and Ivan also became bros and worked on it we would have free energy by now

Anton Vanko also ended up illegally selling plutonium to Pakistan.
    daft1sig.gif
    That was Ivan.
    Huh, I must've gotten it mixed up.
    daft1sig.gif
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the first fight they have is really good if only because "You're not untouchable" was the goal.

Oh that was awesome, yes.

But the trailers also spoiled that entire fight.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
    It's the reason Ivan Vanko had a crapton of russian prison tatoos. Rourke apparently met with a bunch of russian ex-cons to help get a better sense of the character.
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    IM3
    Comics Maya did end up working for the Mandarin behind Tony's back and ended up getting kidnapped and killed by AIM.
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg