Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    lucky.

lucky is the word i was looking for.
    ETqXK.png
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Guys

spoiler warning

The Avengers will forever be the best jump out of your seat action flick

or

are you unruly
    Weaver on
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Firefly got a bum deal, and some other shows bit the dust a little sooner than felt fair, but yeah.

Fox gets a lot of undeserved shit on that front. They take risks, and gave Arrested Development every chance they could.

The problem with FOX is not the people who greenlight shows.

It's the people who market them and make the timeslots.

Arrested Development would have been canceled after the first season on any other network. They kept it around because they knew it was a critically acclaimed gem. It just wasn't getting viewers.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Sarukun you should read a story called Tomorrow Dies Today

it basically answers the question, "what if Terminator was about an army of Deathloks?"

a jason aaron comic i haven't read?????
    Oh Jesus, there were a lot of pages.
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    But

But I don't really like disco

I didn't know anyone still liked disco

Yo.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Golurker Registered User regular
    Having read the first trade of Wolverine and the X-Men, I feel very confident in saying that Deathlok is the shit.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Firefly got a bum deal, and some other shows bit the dust a little sooner than felt fair, but yeah.

Fox gets a lot of undeserved shit on that front. They take risks, and gave Arrested Development every chance they could.

Arrested Development would have been canceled after the first season on any other network. They kept it around because they knew it was a critically acclaimed gem. It just wasn't getting viewers.

Yeah this.

Fox gets some really inspired shows at times.

Then does everything in their power to kill them off.
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    But

But I don't really like disco

I didn't know anyone still liked disco

Yo.

Hell yes, disco is great.
    saunterblugget.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Rick Remender and Jason Aaron love them some Deathlok, they've used him a lot in their Marvel stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FearghaillFearghaill TEAM NICKRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah this.

What? No. That is the opposite of what you just agreed with. Fox gave Arrested Development way more of a chance to find viewers than most shows would get. They wanted it to succeed, and gave it every chance they could. Fringe also got a more than fair chance as well. Firefly got screwed over, and I know a lot of nerds will never forgive that, but Fox is not the villain they're made out to be.

The only other example I can remember of a really good show being screwed over or cancelled early by Fox was Titus, and that was because Christopher Titus shot his mouth off at an executive at a party and the executive killed the show in retaliation.
    hawkeyesig.jpg
  • FearghaillFearghaill TEAM NICKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    oh dang
    Cancellation

On a Sirius Radio interview on Raw Dog 104, Titus said the show got canceled due to an argument with executives.[citation needed] They wanted to split up Titus and Erin because the show Dharma & Greg had done similar and their ratings went up.[8] Titus refused because not only was he still married to his then-real wife, Erin Carden, but the entire focus of the show as "two screwed up people living a normal life" would be compromised (ironically, Titus and Erin would divorce in 2006, following a rocky marriage in which Erin cheated on Titus, stole his money, threatened to kill him, and constantly goaded him into committing suicide). Upon Titus' refusal, on-air promotion ceased and the show was soon canceled. In another radio interview, he claimed the show was also taken down for its content and being "too edgy".[9]

Revival

As of May 2010, Christopher Titus was reportedly in negotiations with the Fox network to start up a new series again, billed as a sequel of sorts to his first sitcom (and based on the comedy specials The 5th Annual End of the World Tour and Love is Evol). The series was confirmed to eventually be revived and will pick up eight years later with Titus divorced from Erin, Titus' father dead, and Titus dealing with his new normal girlfriend and her perfect family

I'm kind of glad the show was cancelled, that would have made for some rough chuckles.
    Fearghaill on
    hawkeyesig.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Registered User regular
    wow.
    Naphtalí SE++ WoW | Steam | B.net Tag: Naphtali#1830 | LoL: El Naphtali | Wish List
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    On the plus side he got some amazing material out his wife being Stalin
    King Riptor on
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Yeah this.

What? No. That is the opposite of what you just agreed with. Fox gave Arrested Development way more of a chance to find viewers than most shows would get. They wanted it to succeed, and gave it every chance they could. Fringe also got a more than fair chance as well. Firefly got screwed over, and I know a lot of nerds will never forgive that, but Fox is not the villain they're made out to be.

The only other example I can remember of a really good show being screwed over or cancelled early by Fox was Titus, and that was because Christopher Titus shot his mouth off at an executive at a party and the executive killed the show in retaliation.

Er, the heads of Fox did. But they screwed up advertising for it big time.

Futurama I remember it being impossible to watch half the time because it got pre-empted by some shitty baseball game I had no intention of watching, and then the episode was lost to the ether.
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Futurama got pre-empted a LOT because they gave it a 7:30 timeslot during football season when game would regularly run beyond 7:30 and lord knows you can't skip the post game show. Terry Bradshaw's bald ego might get bruised. I don't think I saw most of the last season until it came out on DVD.
    scornsig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Yeah this.

Not really talking so much about Arrested Development and Fringe.

Yeah, they did give those shows pretty good chances even if I do feel they were probably marketed incorrectly.

But back during the years with shows like Titus, Futurama and Firefly they were giving a lot of shows a bum deal.

Back then Fox would scramble shows around quite a bit and sometimes not even do all that great a job of telling people the time frame changed.

So, I'm not saying they're bad guys or anything but they have made some seemingly boneheaded decisions in the past. But that was more then than now.

These days I think TVs landscape has just changed. People don't watch like they used to so when you have a show that costs more than your American Idol's, Law & Orders, etc but gets significantly fewer viewers I guess it isn't unreasonable to not be that big on them.

Dragkonias on
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Fox had a VERY bad habit at the time of schedule shuffling. Arguably a similar problem faced by NBC right now. I don't think Thursday nights have had a consistent schedule in months.
    rhylith on
    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk>, XBL/LoL/HoN- Amalockh, SC2- Rhylith.485
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    I think this is Daft Punk making you appreciate disco

This is really, really exciting news for me.

Gonna go buy me some Daft Punk.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wonder how Arrested Development would have gone if FX had been a legit thing back then
    bar-cc-1.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    this is the closest to a movie thread we have and it's a neat poster

i am currently hoping Instant Crush from Random Access Memories gets used in the next Gosling/Refn film collaboration

I like Giorgio

It's very mass effecty
    avengers_sig.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | last.fm
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i think my favorites are Giorgio by Moroder, Touch, and Contact

Beyond and Give Life Back To Music are also great, as is Fragments of Time

really the only ones I'm not the hugest fans of are Get Lucky, Doin It Right (which was made in three days by the artist Panda Bear), and Lose Yourself To Dance
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    oh fuck yessssssss my vinyl pre-order of Random Access Memories shipped today
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Upon further viewing, I think that Captain America might be my favorite Marvel movie.

I appreciate the things that a few of the other films do better, but I have a big soft spot for the kind of Spielbergian Rosie-the-Riveter-esque WWII aesthetic Johnston uses, that USO show montage is tops, and there are few things that get my fists pumping more than those shots of Cap slinging his shield in slo mo.

Also Tommy Lee Jones is fantastic.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I could have had more war in Cap but I understand why it was montaged
    edited May 2013
    So I watched Iron Man 3 and all and all I really enjoyed the movie. It was funny and the action scenes were pretty good.

I think the only problem I had with it was
    How disjointed the overall movie felt.

Like they were trying to put too much stuff in at once and even though it fits in the grand scheme of things a lot of stuff still felt underutilized.

Kind of like they were trying to fit as much as they could into the movie instead of focusing on any one thing.

Basically, it was a good movie but it was really obvious that its setting up whatever is next in Phase 2.
    Dragkonias on
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Biggest negative of Cap is that they pansied out on having him fight actual nazis and dumb laser weapons were used instead of guns.

Also I somehow never noticed that they were experimenting on Bucky before Cap rescued him.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's not like guns never showed up in the movie.

But yes, I too thought it was a little bit too much action figures and not enough Saving Private Ryan.
    sarukun on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    they were interrogating him, in an experimenty sort of way
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights fuck tough be coolRegistered User regular
    I wanna watch iron man 3 so bad
    qZBj2IN.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    So I watched Iron Man 3 and all and all I really enjoyed the movie. It was funny and the action scenes were pretty good.

I think the only problem I had with it was
    How disjointed the overall movie felt.

Like they were trying to put too much stuff in at once and even though it fits in the grand scheme of things a lot of stuff still felt underutilized.

Kind of like they were trying to fit as much as they could into the movie instead of focusing on any one thing.

Basically, it was a good movie but it was really obvious that its setting up whatever is next in Phase 2.

IM3 didn't strike me as setting up anything, to be honest

yeah, me either
    there are some glossed-over details in the end that could lead to intriguing future stuff (thinking specifically of Pepper and Extremis)

but it's a movie that deals so much more with fallout than table-setting or prelude

and while I wouldn't call it a sense of finality (for obvious future movie reasons), it definitely ends with a sense of closure
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • RobbieOCRobbieOC Registered User regular
    Honestly, it kind of feels like Cap 2 is going to be the movie they use to set up the next movie. From what we've heard of it, there is a lot of "Can we really trust SHIELD?" and Cap second-guessing things, which sound like they'd segue really well into Avengers 2.

Well, that or whatever GotG is going to be about.
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Well, they do introduce
    AIM but they don't really set up any plot for future movies.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    what would IM3 even be introducing?
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    the ending teaser could've had the Guardians of the Galaxy
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I was kinda hoping the "doctor" he was talking to was Strange.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    oh yeah, I get that, I just mean he said he thought the movie was too busy setting things up. But...it didn't set anything up? I guess was my confusion.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg