Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    When is Newfoundland going to change its name?

as soon as New York does.

They already changed it once from New Amsterdam.

Why they changed it? I can't say.

It's because the Dutch basically traded it to the English for Suriname during one of the Anglo-Dutch Wars. It felt weird having a major colony named after your national enemy's capital city (imagine a New Moscow or New Ottawa, US?), so they changed it to one of their cities.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    mad about this computer

going to go buy some booze

Be sure to pick up a hard drive and suction cups on your way. And then do this while you get drunk:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+24-Inch+EMC+2134+and+2211+Hard+Drive+Replacement/8968/1

come over and do this for me
    what is the use of having nerd friends if
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Most Fan posters are so bad, but these are pretty.

jacobkosh

A couple of them suffer from the clever movie reference issue but the artist put some effort in beyond drawing a simple shape and putting paper texture over all of it.

Those are quite pretty. Like something I would put on a wall.

They work better as "After Movie" posters than movie posters.
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Registered User regular
    Well fine, I've found my own music. [chat], thanks for nothing!!
    Quality, Speed, Low Cost -- Choose Two

I'm probably playing Neverwinter or SimCity right now.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular

It's because the Dutch basically traded it to the English for Suriname during one of the Anglo-Dutch Wars. It felt weird having a major colony named after your national enemy's capital city (imagine a New Moscow or New Ottawa, US?), so they changed it to one of their cities.

while we (or at least I) appreciate the history lesson

He's not actually asking. It's a excerpt from a song
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    someone mixed a corgi and a husky

what is this abomination?

C4NLaSD.jpg
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod

@jacobkosh
    359juxs.jpg316osuf.jpg5kk5tx.jpg8x076o.jpgeg7n2v.jpg117wh1t.jpg

A couple of them suffer from the clever movie reference issue but the artist put some effort in beyond drawing a simple shape and putting paper texture over all of it.

@Thomamelas I really like those. The execution is a little rough in a couple spots but the concepts are flawless.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    mad about this computer

Be sure to pick up a hard drive and suction cups on your way. And then do this while you get drunk:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+24-Inch+EMC+2134+and+2211+Hard+Drive+Replacement/8968/1

Move to Boston and you will receive infinite free technical support in exchange for baked goods.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

jacobkosh

The first three I think could work as teaser posters.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    also for your information, chu, at the time of my criticism of how silly google glass looked, i was wearing a baller summer outfit for work

of course when i got home i took it off and now i am in my boxers because it's mad hot out but the point remains

look all i'm saying is

i think an intersection probably exists between "don't wear GG you'll look stupid" and "I WEAR WHAT I WANT FUCK FASHION IT'S SHALLOW" or people who aren't well groomed or who like me are most vast indeed

:3

Sure, but there is a difference in repulsiveness between a man wearing I'll fitting cargo shorts and chunky sandals and a boxy polo, and a man wearing who looks like he headbutted a CRT monitor to death and is wearing part of its carcass as a trophy

oh, i see what's happened here

you mistook my pointless takedown of my dear friends for some sort of rhetorical device

You're wearing a pair of glasses on your forehead and pretending they're a computer right now, aren't you
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

There is a Cairo in the US. We actually do have cities named after foreign capitals.

I think we have a Moscow as well.

Google says it is in Idaho.
    falasig.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

jacobkosh

The first three I think could work as teaser posters.

I'd say the first one and the third one, sure.

I feel the WOK one references the duel scene at the end a bit too strongly.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Did someone do this already?!

3FMmC.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    What is Google Glass anyway?

i'm out of the loop on that, as always.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ottawa is pretty far south, isn't it

I suppose the currents and weather patterns from the great lakes and all that shit are what end up making it so cold? I don't know

The temperature varies by at least 80 C from extreme to extreme every year
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »

There is a Cairo in the US. We actually do have cities named after foreign capitals.

There is a Versailles (pronounced VER-SAYLES) in Missouri

as well as a Bolivar, pronounced "Bolliver"
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

The future.

Basically the screen is projected into your eye. And controls with voice and eye movements.
    falasig.png
    conehead_google_glass.jpg

I find you unacceptable!
    dkmouthsig.png

It's like a bluetooth headset and your smartphone has sex.

And this is the baby.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Apparently Montreal is a bit colder than Toronto in the depths of winter anyway - so maybe the lakes help? According to my cousin who lived in both anyway
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    The lieutenant colonel in charge of the Air Force’s sexual assault prevention and response branch was arrested Sunday in Arlington, Va., on suspicion of sexual battery.

Oh hey an Air Force Academy graduate. I am shocked, just shocked this happened.*
    I am completely not shocked. My first thought was to see if he was an Air Force Academy grad and yep, he was.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    I was really excited about Google Glasses until I got over the concept and looked at the actual product. Nope. First gen is way too bulky and weird.
    3FMmC.jpg
    Did someone do this already?!

Yeah, it's why we've all been making google glass jokes for a few hours.
    dkmouthsig.png
    conehead_google_glass.jpg

I find you unacceptable!

The one on the left is from France.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i think i'm going to start reading books again

i haven't done that in a while
    Per3th.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    also for your information, chu, at the time of my criticism of how silly google glass looked, i was wearing a baller summer outfit for work

of course when i got home i took it off and now i am in my boxers because it's mad hot out but the point remains

Why is it hot up there?

That doesn't make sense!

Ottawa is substantially further south than any part of Britain. It's about on a line with the middle of the Bay of Biscay. It's further south than Paris even.

Wait, really?

What...

boston roughly shares a latitude with rome
    Elendil wrote: »
    i think i'm going to start reading books again

i haven't done that in a while

May i suggest Twilight? It's quite popular AND quite good! :D
    mad about this computer

Move to Boston and you will receive infinite free technical support in exchange for baked goods.

this is a strong incentive
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    Cylindrical_Equal-Area_Projection_Oblique_Case_Map_of_the_World.png
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
    I was really excited about Google Glasses until I got over the concept and looked at the actual product. Nope. First gen is way too bulky and weird.
    One of the first videos was a dude using his google glasses to record him playing LOTRO on quad monitors, and then he had two monitors behind his quad monitors that (let him pull up anything he ever wanted while doing everything else) and then I was like, you cannot possibly integrate visual data from electronic glasses on your head and four panel monitors in front of you while also being at an angle to view the dual monitors behind that.
    3FMmC.jpg
    Podly wrote: »
    Cylindrical_Equal-Area_Projection_Oblique_Case_Map_of_the_World.png
    you can't do that

it's freaking me out
    Per3th.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    new HAWPcast today

@21stCentury or anyone interested in game dev (especially indie) should listen.

They have the creator of Monaco on as a guest.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Registered User regular
    Well, I finished my paper without you! Hahahaha! Tomorrow I turn that junk in and I'm done for the semester.

Why did I go back to school? I'm gettin' too old for this s....nah, I love school.
    Quality, Speed, Low Cost -- Choose Two

I'm probably playing Neverwinter or SimCity right now.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

There is a Versailles (pronounced VER-SAYLES) in Missouri

as well as a Bolivar, pronounced "Bolliver"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66HlTRxqv3c
    Per3th.jpg
    new HAWPcast today

21stCentury or anyone interested in game dev (especially indie) should listen.

They have the creator of Monaco on as a guest.

i guess i could give it a listen at some point in my life.

yes, i will listen to it in precisely 20 years, 2 months, 5 days and an hour.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    someone mixed a corgi and a husky

what is this abomination?

C4NLaSD.jpg

Who's an adorable crime against nature?
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »

Why is it hot up there?

That doesn't make sense!

Ottawa is substantially further south than any part of Britain. It's about on a line with the middle of the Bay of Biscay. It's further south than Paris even.

Wait, really?

What...

boston roughly shares a latitude with rome

basically the atlantic ocean is bullshit
    dkmouthsig.png
This discussion has been closed.