Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Like it takes some degree of head in the sandness for a heterosexual person not to understand homosexuality - if ladies can like men, why can't men do the same?

But once you accept that who you like is independent of your sex or gender, you have to actively avoid considering that someone could like both to erase bisexuals. I dunno.

I will stop cuz I'm not making sense, but it is seriously a thing I don't understand on any level. Like I get transphobia, I get homophobia, I get racism, I get classism, I get xenophobia, I get misogyny. I can intellectually understand someone holding those views, thinking those things, and can see why they would.

I do not understand holding the idea that bisexuals don't exist. I just don't.

In fairness, for a long time I just thought, "Wait that doesn't make scientific sense. You're either straight or gay -- there are only two choices." But then I was like, "Well I guess being bisexual doesn't really confer anymore evolutionary advantage than being gay -- both groups are pretty fucked, in terms of passing on their genes. May as well take them at their word and accept that they like dudes and ladies. Maybe I should stop being so picky..."

you can "pass on your genes" without reproducing if you have successful nieces / nephews.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Step 1: destroy the tedium of late capitalism
    Step 2: everyone loves who they want
    Step 3: torches in procession
    Step 4: subwoofers
    Step 5: bacchanalia

I'll sell you 10,000 shares of Wub Wub Wub on just 100 bass-is points.

This macks no sans.Thar are no bips on stock sails. bips r 4 barrys
    Hamu stahp

Oh man.

And I spent hours doing literature review for that post.

It's a pro pun, but a scrub tier finance joke :P
    There aren't many good finance jokes though.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    moniker wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Cylindrical_Equal-Area_Projection_Oblique_Case_Map_of_the_World.png

Mercator fo life

a sphere and a plane are simply not isomorphic topologies. It is mathematically impossible to map one onto the other without distorting it in some way.

and preserving area at the expense of distorting relative position is beyond silly

So go with Peters:

450px-Gall%E2%80%93Peters_projection_SW.jpg

My favorite is the Werner projection.

597px-Werner_projection_SW.jpg
    Richy on
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    A
    Moniker it occurs to me that we live very close to each other now

Do you ever go to the green city farmers market (across the street from the zoo)?

I have not, and actually hadn't ever heard of it. I'm still sort of finishing everything up with settling in and getting used to being on my own (so alone, so very alone...until the girl shows up. Then cuddles.) Plus the last few weekends have been kind of crazy with a road trip and some other stuff. After Mother's Day/by my birthday the week after I should be completely normal and able to do a house warming and just, you know, be. Then I'll start finding out all the cool stuff I'm missing out on.

...is it weird that I did find out who my alder(wo)man is, though?

My alderman is a self centered douche. Most of them are unfortunately. How is yours?
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Like it takes some degree of head in the sandness for a heterosexual person not to understand homosexuality - if ladies can like men, why can't men do the same?

But once you accept that who you like is independent of your sex or gender, you have to actively avoid considering that someone could like both to erase bisexuals. I dunno.

I will stop cuz I'm not making sense, but it is seriously a thing I don't understand on any level. Like I get transphobia, I get homophobia, I get racism, I get classism, I get xenophobia, I get misogyny. I can intellectually understand someone holding those views, thinking those things, and can see why they would.

Well one of the problems is right here

"both" suggests that bisexual people have to like two people, one of each gender

Well, yeah, but that's a different myth. I think that one's dumb and the result of not thinking, obviously, but it's not the same level of "I don't get it" as "bisexual people don't exist."

My ex had a friend that insisted that.

My ex was also bi. So that was really weird.

I guess for some reason bisexual myths tend to bug me more than other ones.

Her friend thought she didn't exist?

How did that explain you?

"Oh, this is the person dating my imaginary friend. But she's real."
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

In fairness, for a long time I just thought, "Wait that doesn't make scientific sense. You're either straight or gay -- there are only two choices." But then I was like, "Well I guess being bisexual doesn't really confer anymore evolutionary advantage than being gay -- both groups are pretty fucked, in terms of passing on their genes. May as well take them at their word and accept that they like dudes and ladies. Maybe I should stop being so picky..."

you can "pass on your genes" without reproducing if you have successful nieces / nephews.

Bees

Take that, people's conception of evolutionary math.
    Anyways the landshark family goes most every Saturday so if you are ever there checking it out shoot me a PM
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    I think the bisexual denial thing is more frustrating because they're basically saying any bisexual is a liar. you can hate gay people but as far as I've ever heard it's either you think they should deny their desire or they are making a choice you disagree with. Saying bisexuality doesn't exist is saying a person is lying about how they ID themselves. which is weird.
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    my favorite is the weiner projection

www.pictureofmypenis.com
    Sarksus on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Prenda law case now includes a rad order with Star Trek references! This judge is awesome.

http://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PendaSanctionsOrder.pdf

@Thomamelas
    NO.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

"both" suggests that bisexual people have to like two people, one of each gender

This is where threesomes should help, conceptually. I mean, sexy ladies are pretty sexy. It just makes sense that other ladies would be attracted to them too, being so sexy and all. I'm sure some guys feel the same otherwise, but whatever I'm not going to think about that too much.

Llllllllladies.
    tea-1.jpg

Well, yeah, but that's a different myth. I think that one's dumb and the result of not thinking, obviously, but it's not the same level of "I don't get it" as "bisexual people don't exist."

Well it was an LDR so I only met her like once and present as male and for the sake of not being outed during my multi-year questioning phase everyone but my ex thought I was cismale.

Either way I'm sure she'd cling to something to pretend that my ex wasn't really bi.

I dunno it was really weird and I was kind of boggled at the friendship.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Just buy a globe.

And have a digital globe on your iDevice.

It's the future, people.

speaking of, bed posting!
    Lh96QHG.png
    Variable wrote: »
    I think the bisexual denial thing is more frustrating because they're basically saying any bisexual is a liar. you can hate gay people but as far as I've ever heard it's either you think they should deny their desire or they are making a choice you disagree with. Saying bisexuality doesn't exist is saying a person is lying about how they ID themselves. which is weird.

There's that too.

I have good friends that are bi! Stop calling them liars!
    edited May 2013
    Just buy a globe.

It's the future, people.

No we must project everything!

Look at this Landshark projection of the world onto a 1D surface!

Sir Landshark on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the bar should be pretty high for calling someone a liar about what they self-identify as

set somewhere around the place where someone identifies as a na'vi.
    xlh6c3.png
    A

Do you ever go to the green city farmers market (across the street from the zoo)?

I have not, and actually hadn't ever heard of it. I'm still sort of finishing everything up with settling in and getting used to being on my own (so alone, so very alone...until the girl shows up. Then cuddles.) Plus the last few weekends have been kind of crazy with a road trip and some other stuff. After Mother's Day/by my birthday the week after I should be completely normal and able to do a house warming and just, you know, be. Then I'll start finding out all the cool stuff I'm missing out on.

My alderman is a self centered douche. Most of them are unfortunately. How is yours?

Dunno, she's newly elected as of last year. Since it's basically Lincoln Park with fingers that grab my building and her apparent age I'm going to figure she'll be good on transit, cycling, and land-use aside from probably wanting more mandatory parking for rich people buildings than I'd like. But who knows. Clark Street can't really be widened so making it more 'European' seems like a safe framing.
    tea-1.jpg
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

There's that too.

tumblr_lwc0sgktNG1qial5vo1_500.jpg
    Podly wrote: »
    peters makes indochina look very strange

Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's better than Mercator while still being similar enough to not freak people out and pretend its unusable like the Dymaxion.
    tea-1.jpg
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the bar should be pretty high for calling someone a liar about what they self-identify as

But they could actually believe they are Na'vi!

I like to think of it in terms of pain. You can never know how much pain someone else is in, so you have no right to say they are lying about their pain. Whatever they feel, imagined or otherwise, is what you gotta work with, since you can't ever be inside their head to declare otherwise.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

There's that too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposter_syndrome
    network_sig2.png
    Anyways the landshark family goes most every Saturday so if you are ever there checking it out shoot me a PM

Sure. And we should probably do a Chicago hangout at some point now that the weather's turned and festivals are going to start up.
    tea-1.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

Well it was an LDR so I only met her like once and present as male and for the sake of not being outed during my multi-year questioning phase everyone but my ex thought I was cismale.

Either way I'm sure she'd cling to something to pretend that my ex wasn't really bi.

Sometimes you have really old friends who aren't capable of adjusting to various changes that come up in your life. Usually you start drifting apart over time.

Yeah pretty much. Most of the world doesn't have the memo though unfortunately.

Stop being ableist.
    tea-1.jpg
    A

Dunno, she's newly elected as of last year. Since it's basically Lincoln Park with fingers that grab my building and her apparent age I'm going to figure she'll be good on transit, cycling, and land-use aside from probably wanting more mandatory parking for rich people buildings than I'd like. But who knows. Clark Street can't really be widened so making it more 'European' seems like a safe framing.

New blood is good for sure. Hope she is good, aldermen appear to wield a decent amount of influence in this city!
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay [chat], Narwhal sleeps now! Your tasks for tonight are:

1) Come up with a pizza special (@evilbob 's was pretty excellent)

2) Find me a person to kiss that is not a baby.

@Ravenhpltc24 I'm afraid I have to deny you the satisfaction of two scrabble victories in one night, primarily for the sake of my own self-confidence :P

I like to think of it in terms of pain. You can never know how much pain someone else is in, so you have no right to say they are lying about their pain. Whatever they feel, imagined or otherwise, is what you gotta work with, since you can't ever be inside their head to declare otherwise.

Actually yeah I don't think "liar" is the right thing to call someone here.
    Cinders wrote: »

Sometimes you have really old friends who aren't capable of adjusting to various changes that come up in your life. Usually you start drifting apart over time.

I have preemptively drifted from everyone, ha.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    8:36 pm

I'd better do 2 miles huh

fatty fat descy desc
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Okay [chat], Narwhal sleeps now! Your tasks for tonight are:

1) Come up with a pizza special (@evilbob 's was pretty excellent)

2) Find me a person to kiss that is not a baby.

@Ravenhpltc24 I'm afraid I have to deny you the satisfaction of two scrabble victories in one night, primarily for the sake of my own self-confidence :P

Goodnight, Narwhal! I shall make you suffer defeat once again on the morrow.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Sure. And we should probably do a Chicago hangout at some point now that the weather's turned and festivals are going to start up.

Ya we go to Old Town Art festival and Halsted st days every year. I can watch the pride parade from my back porch as well which is nice since it's a bit too crazy for two little ones.
    The impostor syndrome, in which competent people find it impossible to believe in their own competence, can be viewed as complementary to the Dunning–Kruger effect, in which incompetent people find it impossible to believe in their own incompetence.
    network_sig2.png

at some point, I'm going to take the risk of being wrong. Since at the na'vi point, it is low!
    xlh6c3.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

There's that too.

I definitely have Imposter Syndrome though.

eh eh?
    Mortious on
    A

New blood is good for sure. Hope she is good, aldermen appear to wield a decent amount of influence in this city!

Not like they used to. And committeemen basically are just sinecures at this point. But they're still able to fuck things up if they want to.
    tea-1.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Just buy a globe.

It's the future, people.

yo i have an android phone whey you gotta leave me out in the cold

Actually yeah I don't think "liar" is the right thing to call someone here.

since we're talking about the tumblr oppression olympics mental illness fetishist crowd, I think "liar" fits perfectly.

xlh6c3.png
    edited May 2013

There's that too.

I definitely have Imposter Syndrome though.

eh eh?
    The impostor syndrome was once thought to be particularly common among women who are successful in their given careers, but has since been shown to occur for an equal number of men.[7] There have been workshops for women that worked to dissolve the sense of inadequacy.[8] It is commonly associated with academics and is widely found among graduate students.[9] Another demographic associated with this phenomenon is African Americans. Affirmative action may cause a minority to doubt their own abilities and suspect that their skills were not what allowed them to be hired.
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Curry is delivering a refresher course for the Spurs

2 upsets in one day?

: D
This discussion has been closed.