Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    ...okay for fuck's sake, me, that sentence was some kind of parody of "lol I know long words" or something. Get it together, man.
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    bucky fuller is like if you boiled down the 20th century into a sticky, nerdy concentrate

he's da bes

I still remember chatting to one of the semihomeless drunks who hung out on the beach in the backwater town I grew up in. He was rambling on at length about Buckminster Fuller and the chemicals in contrails that are controlling everyone's brain.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Cylindrical_Equal-Area_Projection_Oblique_Case_Map_of_the_World.png

Mercator fo life

a sphere and a plane are simply not isomorphic topologies. It is mathematically impossible to map one onto the other without distorting it in some way.

and preserving area at the expense of distorting relative position is beyond silly

preserving relative position at the expense of radically distorting area is also silly

this is why you have multiple projections
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Cylindrical_Equal-Area_Projection_Oblique_Case_Map_of_the_World.png

Mercator fo life

a sphere and a plane are simply not isomorphic topologies. It is mathematically impossible to map one onto the other without distorting it in some way.

and preserving area at the expense of distorting relative position is beyond silly

So go with Peters:

450px-Gall%E2%80%93Peters_projection_SW.jpg
    tea-1.jpg
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    pfft long term relationships

I don't want to try none of that no sir

oh god I'm so alone

Girls are pretty

And like when you kiss their faces (with consent)

*dreamy sigh* 8->

indeed.
    xlh6c3.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sometimes my medication makes me sleepy

My mom's response to that was "That's good, more sleep = better health!"

Well, okay

But 10 hours of sleep = 0 productivity, so

Or worse, 0 [chat]

And that ain't gonna happen!
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »

Ha, it's not working!

So I am only hurt by the title!

People are dicks.

apparently she went to another shop where they were happy to help her and there was a huge backlash against the store that refused her service

so there's that!

and i was talking to my parents about this (last time i talked something similar, my mom said she didn't believe in bisexuality. like, that it exists), and they were both disgusted by the actions of the store owner who refused to let her try on the dress

which was heartening to me

: (

bisexual erasure hurts

It's so

I don't even understand how it's a thing. Like... I don't understand how one person could think that, let alone enough for it to be a memetic thing that exists.

most people are driving squarely in one lane. And being people, some of them do the easy thing of dismissing things not easily intuitively grasped through extrapolation of their own experience.

But it's not just that, it's...

"Ok so some people like boys.

And some people like girls.

THERE CAN NOT POSSIBLY EXIST SOMEONE WHO DOES BOTH."

It's... alien to me? Like you can be driving in your one lane but upon seeing or hearing about someone who does both, why... would you ever assume it can be only one?

Like there is a gaping whole in the logic and I can't begin to fathom it bridged.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    and desc not even the slightest mention on avoiding tonality

it's bullshit

@podly

well if you make money and get recognized by culture it's all good

really

if you make money and get recognized by making melodies like a fucking whore?

no

no it's not all good

fuck cops overdrive 909s

@podly
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    bucky fuller is like if you boiled down the 20th century into a sticky, nerdy concentrate

he's da bes

I still remember chatting to one of the semihomeless drunks who hung out on the beach in the backwater town I grew up in. He was rambling on at length about Buckminster Fuller and the chemicals in contrails that are controlling everyone's brain.

Yeah you didn't know about those?
    network_sig2.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

oh god I'm so alone

Tell us what happened with your last girlfriend. Unless you don't want to talk about it, which is fine.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

oh god I'm so alone

Tell us what happened with your last girlfriend. Unless you don't want to talk about it, which is fine.

I really want to but I have to wait until the statute of limitations runs out because I don't want prison
    xlh6c3.png
    Step 1: destroy the tedium of late capitalism
    Step 2: everyone loves who they want
    Step 3: torches in procession
    Step 4: subwoofers
    Step 5: bacchanalia
    I meant more serious relationship? can't say I have had one of those.

since the thing now seems to have settled in a groove of being nothing more than me sleeping over most weekends.
    xlh6c3.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Step 6: waffles
    G2Dcf.jpg
    the equatorial distortion in the Peters projection always bugs me

I know it's not nearly as severe as the Mercator distortion, but it still looks weird to me
    Like it takes some degree of head in the sandness for a heterosexual person not to understand homosexuality - if ladies can like men, why can't men do the same?

But once you accept that who you like is independent of your sex or gender, you have to actively avoid considering that someone could like both to erase bisexuals. I dunno.

I will stop cuz I'm not making sense, but it is seriously a thing I don't understand on any level. Like I get transphobia, I get homophobia, I get racism, I get classism, I get xenophobia, I get misogyny. I can intellectually understand someone holding those views, thinking those things, and can see why they would.

I do not understand holding the idea that bisexuals don't exist. I just don't.

I'll sell you 10,000 shares of Wub Wub Wub on just 100 bass-is points.
    network_sig2.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

it's bullshit

podly

really

no

no it's not all good

fuck cops overdrive 909s

podly

Ahhh i love this. Its like talking to my brother (underemployed jazz pianist in Boulder)
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Come to think of it

The last person I kissed

Was a baby

I can't let that be true for long, right?

I know it's not nearly as severe as the Mercator distortion, but it still looks weird to me

OCD makes things that are almost right bug me way more than stuff that isn't right at all.
    Hamurabi wrote: »

consulting my financial advisor

@gooey
    Seriously, though, when I first saw that projection of the world it kind of blew my mind. Granted I was around 12, but still. Africa's just like: why hullo thar, I really am much larger than you thought.

Also, so many maps over here are centered on New York instead of either the Prime Meridian or International Date Line and it's idiotic. Why are you cutting Asia in half rather than having two whole landmasses?
    tea-1.jpg
    Like it takes some degree of head in the sandness for a heterosexual person not to understand homosexuality - if ladies can like men, why can't men do the same?

But once you accept that who you like is independent of your sex or gender, you have to actively avoid considering that someone could like both to erase bisexuals. I dunno.

I will stop cuz I'm not making sense, but it is seriously a thing I don't understand on any level. Like I get transphobia, I get homophobia, I get racism, I get classism, I get xenophobia, I get misogyny. I can intellectually understand someone holding those views, thinking those things, and can see why they would.

intellectual head in the sandness is exactly why (I would guess for most of them)

refusal to think about much more I guess
    xlh6c3.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Cinders wrote: »
    [img]http://i.imgu r.com/e3LR1SQ.png[/img]

Kate Beaton is great, isn't she?
    Tamin on
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Moniker it occurs to me that we live very close to each other now

Do you ever go to the green city farmers market (across the street from the zoo)?
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.

In fairness, for a long time I just thought, "Wait that doesn't make scientific sense. You're either straight or gay -- there are only two choices." But then I was like, "Well I guess being bisexual doesn't really confer anymore evolutionary advantage than being gay -- both groups are pretty fucked, in terms of passing on their genes. May as well take them at their word and accept that they like dudes and ladies. Maybe I should stop being so picky..."
    network_sig2.png
    understanding homosexuality doesn't take the idea that it's independent of sex and gender

I would be very surprised if someone thought bisexuals were a myth from that standpoint
    xlh6c3.png

Well one of the problems is right here

"both" suggests that bisexual people have to like two people, one of each gender

consulting my financial advisor

@gooey

Whoa buddy, an offer this good isn't gonna last.

Besides, that schmuck gooey is probably in a hole somewhere freebassing.
    network_sig2.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

This macks no sans.Thar are no bips on stock sails. bips r 4 barrys
    Hamu stahp
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    also faux bisexual confirmation bias
    xlh6c3.png

it's bullshit

podly

really

no

no it's not all good

fuck cops overdrive 909s

podly

Ahhh i love this. Its like talking to my brother (underemployed jazz pianist in Boulder)

I'm not saying that people who write melodic sequences from left to right are inherently morally subhuman but

oh wait yeah

sound as sound

music as sound
    moniker wrote: »
    Seriously, though, when I first saw that projection of the world it kind of blew my mind. Granted I was around 12, but still. Africa's just like: why hullo thar, I really am much larger than you thought.

Also, so many maps over here are centered on New York instead of either the Prime Meridian or International Date Line and it's idiotic. Why are you cutting Asia in half rather than having two whole landmasses?

because AMERICA!!!
    Deebaser wrote: »

This macks no sans.Thar are no bips on stock sails. bips r 4 barrys
    Hamu stahp

Oh man.

And I spent hours doing literature review for that post.
    network_sig2.png

OCD makes things that are almost right bug me way more than stuff that isn't right at all.

In fairness, for a long time I just thought, "Wait that doesn't make scientific sense. You're either straight or gay -- there are only two choices." But then I was like, "Well I guess being bisexual doesn't really confer anymore evolutionary advantage than being gay -- both groups are pretty fucked, in terms of passing on their genes. May as well take them at their word and accept that they like dudes and ladies. Maybe I should stop being so picky..."

Well, that's ascribing some stuff to science that isn't there, but yeah :P

Well one of the problems is right here

"both" suggests that bisexual people have to like two people, one of each gender

Well, yeah, but that's a different myth. I think that one's dumb and the result of not thinking, obviously, but it's not the same level of "I don't get it" as "bisexual people don't exist."

My ex had a friend that insisted that.

My ex was also bi. So that was really weird.

I guess for some reason bisexual myths tend to bug me more than other ones.
    Moniker it occurs to me that we live very close to each other now

Do you ever go to the green city farmers market (across the street from the zoo)?

I have not, and actually hadn't ever heard of it. I'm still sort of finishing everything up with settling in and getting used to being on my own (so alone, so very alone...until the girl shows up. Then cuddles.) Plus the last few weekends have been kind of crazy with a road trip and some other stuff. After Mother's Day/by my birthday the week after I should be completely normal and able to do a house warming and just, you know, be. Then I'll start finding out all the cool stuff I'm missing out on.

...is it weird that I did find out who my alder(wo)man is, though?
    tea-1.jpg
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    peters makes indochina look very strange
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
This discussion has been closed.