Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Like it takes some degree of head in the sandness for a heterosexual person not to understand homosexuality - if ladies can like men, why can't men do the same?

But once you accept that who you like is independent of your sex or gender, you have to actively avoid considering that someone could like both to erase bisexuals. I dunno.

I will stop cuz I'm not making sense, but it is seriously a thing I don't understand on any level. Like I get transphobia, I get homophobia, I get racism, I get classism, I get xenophobia, I get misogyny. I can intellectually understand someone holding those views, thinking those things, and can see why they would.

I do not understand holding the idea that bisexuals don't exist. I just don't.

Well one of the problems is right here

"both" suggests that bisexual people have to like two people, one of each gender

Well, yeah, but that's a different myth. I think that one's dumb and the result of not thinking, obviously, but it's not the same level of "I don't get it" as "bisexual people don't exist."

My ex had a friend that insisted that.

My ex was also bi. So that was really weird.

I guess for some reason bisexual myths tend to bug me more than other ones.

Her friend thought she didn't exist?

How did that explain you?

"Oh, this is the person dating my imaginary friend. But she's real."

Well it was an LDR so I only met her like once and present as male and for the sake of not being outed during my multi-year questioning phase everyone but my ex thought I was cismale.

Either way I'm sure she'd cling to something to pretend that my ex wasn't really bi.

I dunno it was really weird and I was kind of boggled at the friendship.

Sometimes you have really old friends who aren't capable of adjusting to various changes that come up in your life. Usually you start drifting apart over time.

I have preemptively drifted from everyone, ha.

Yeah, I have been doing that too. A guy I've known for over 15 years is getting married soon. I have a feeling this might be the last time I go visit them.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Like it takes some degree of head in the sandness for a heterosexual person not to understand homosexuality - if ladies can like men, why can't men do the same?

But once you accept that who you like is independent of your sex or gender, you have to actively avoid considering that someone could like both to erase bisexuals. I dunno.

I will stop cuz I'm not making sense, but it is seriously a thing I don't understand on any level. Like I get transphobia, I get homophobia, I get racism, I get classism, I get xenophobia, I get misogyny. I can intellectually understand someone holding those views, thinking those things, and can see why they would.

"both" suggests that bisexual people have to like two people, one of each gender

Well, yeah, but that's a different myth. I think that one's dumb and the result of not thinking, obviously, but it's not the same level of "I don't get it" as "bisexual people don't exist."

Well it was an LDR so I only met her like once and present as male and for the sake of not being outed during my multi-year questioning phase everyone but my ex thought I was cismale.

Either way I'm sure she'd cling to something to pretend that my ex wasn't really bi.

Sometimes you have really old friends who aren't capable of adjusting to various changes that come up in your life. Usually you start drifting apart over time.

Yeah, I have been doing that too. A guy I've known for over 15 years is getting married soon. I have a feeling this might be the last time I go visit them.

Married people are fine to hang out with, if you know/are friends with the partner.

It's once they have kids that it becomes an issue I think.
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    dots brotha

how are things?
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Just buy a globe.

And have a digital globe on your iDevice.

It's the future, people.

speaking of, bed posting!

yo i have an android phone whey you gotta leave me out in the cold

i don't have to

society already has

boooooooooooooom
    Lh96QHG.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    This baseball game is a long baseball game.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    understanding homosexuality doesn't take the idea that it's independent of sex and gender

I would be very surprised if someone thought bisexuals were a myth from that standpoint

it has been a long time since i've heard anyone discount the existence of bisexuals

i think the only time i've actually heard it (long ago) was from some gay guys i knew in texas who asserted that bisexual guys were just gay guys who were unwilling to accept who they really were.

it really seemed to have a lot more to do with the experiences of the guys making the assertions rather than the bisexuals they were referring to
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    understanding homosexuality doesn't take the idea that it's independent of sex and gender

I would be very surprised if someone thought bisexuals were a myth from that standpoint

it has been a long time since i've heard anyone discount the existence of bisexuals

i think the only time i've actually heard it (long ago) was from some gay guys i knew in texas who asserted that bisexual guys were just gay guys who were unwilling to accept who they really were.

it really seemed to have a lot more to do with the experiences of the guys making the assertions rather than the bisexuals they were referring to

yeah, exactly, exactly
    xlh6c3.png
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    @BeNarwhal

marinated artichoke hearts
    kalamata olives
    capsicum (or whatever the fuck you call it in Canada)
    onion
    feta (little bits of feta in addition to the mozzarella)
    some kind of salami maybe
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    omg this is so exciting
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    dots brotha

how are things?
    the worst

how are you

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    The impostor syndrome, in which competent people find it impossible to believe in their own competence, can be viewed as complementary to the Dunning–Kruger effect, in which incompetent people find it impossible to believe in their own incompetence.

These interact weirdly.

I recall seeing a graph of some kind of competence verses self-perceived competence.

Basically, the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 99th percentile all ranked themselves on average as between 70th and 75th percentile. There was like five to ten percent wobble room but it was amazingly stable. So only the 75th percentile can reliably judge themselves apparently.
    Mortious wrote: »

Married people are fine to hang out with, if you know/are friends with the partner.

It's once they have kids that it becomes an issue I think.

They live halfway across the country. The only reason I've seen that group of friends since I moved is my sister lives in the same city.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

I have got to see my married friends more.

Before I come back next year and do my whole nonchalant nothing's changed deal.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    @BeNarwhal

marinated artichoke hearts
    kalamata olives
    capsicum (or whatever the fuck you call it in Canada)
    onion
    feta (little bits of feta in addition to the mozzarella)
    some kind of salami maybe

Cambert also works well on pizza, especially with a spicy sweet sauce.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    the bar should be pretty high for calling someone a liar about what they self-identify as

set somewhere around the place where someone identifies as a na'vi.

But they could actually believe they are Na'vi!

I like to think of it in terms of pain. You can never know how much pain someone else is in, so you have no right to say they are lying about their pain. Whatever they feel, imagined or otherwise, is what you gotta work with, since you can't ever be inside their head to declare otherwise.

maybe

on the other hand, people make shit up for all kinds of reasons.

people malinger. people seek attention. people make up stories to feel better about themselves.

which is basically to say that if someone told me they were really an alien catlady, i wouldn't believe them (obviously) and wouldn't associate with them because either they were too fanciful for my tastes or else deranged
    Irond Will on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The impostor syndrome, in which competent people find it impossible to believe in their own competence, can be viewed as complementary to the Dunning–Kruger effect, in which incompetent people find it impossible to believe in their own incompetence.

These interact weirdly.

I recall seeing a graph of some kind of competence verses self-perceived competence.

Basically, the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 99th percentile all ranked themselves on average as between 70th and 75th percentile. There was like five to ten percent wobble room but it was amazingly stable. So only the 75th percentile can reliably judge themselves apparently.

All the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.
    tea-1.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

bisexual erasure erasure

I see it on a daily basis.

But then again, I don't live in Hippie Town, USA.
    Lh96QHG.png
    the amount of things happening in this town seems to come to a screeching halt now that exams time is upon us.
    xlh6c3.png
    I'm not inventing these of the top of my head by the way. These are gourmet pizzas I've had before and I can guarantee they're delicious.
    And now I've made myself sad.

Getting back to studying is probably a good idea.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I'm a b'ysexual

I can only become erect while a Newfoundlander is addressing me
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    bisexual bisexual erasure erasure

D:
    bisexualsexuals
    xlh6c3.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    So some girls were found in a dudes basement after 10ish years. Wow.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Artichoke hearts, white-wine braised asparagus, roasted red pepper, raw red onion, roasted or chopped raw garlic, over-brined chicken so it's salty like sausage in small strips, goat cheese, mozzarella, spiced with oregano, basil, and mostly rosemary

This is a pizza I make that is fantabulous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxWzsrj8bZE
    I'm a b'ysexual

I can only become erect while a Newfoundlander is addressing me

I'm a byosexual. I prefer girls who get their own drinks.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    NO.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Too soon, mort
    Too soon
    >.>
    <.<
    /awesomes poast
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oculus rift stuff is incredible:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R0-dsbeasgA

This is incredible. Although I'm starting to think people getting PTSD from gaming is going to become like, a real thing if we're not careful.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Super Happy Dungeon Fun Time starts in 1 minute in Neverwinter
    who wants to run Cloak Tower (16ish)

wait wat
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular

wait wat

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554490
    Super Happy Dungeon Fun Time starts in 1 minute in Neverwinter
    who wants to run Cloak Tower (16ish)

I want to but this game is too good to turn off
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

amazing, and I was just reading an article on Elizabeth Smart talking about how fundie abstinence education made her feel that once she was raped she was worthless, so why would she try to get away?
    NO.
    Oculus rift stuff is incredible:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R0-dsbeasgA

This is incredible. Although I'm starting to think people getting PTSD from gaming is going to become like, a real thing if we're not careful.

Did you see the thing a few CCP devs made in their spare time? Little multiplayer space fighter sim thing where you can look around inside the cockpit and out the canopy to see where people are. Apparently it was really really fun.
    So It Goes wrote: »

amazing, and I was just reading an article on Elizabeth Smart talking about how fundie abstinence education made her feel that once she was raped she was worthless, so why would she try to get away?

linkpls
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular

These interact weirdly.

Basically, the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 99th percentile all ranked themselves on average as between 70th and 75th percentile. There was like five to ten percent wobble room but it was amazingly stable. So only the 75th percentile can reliably judge themselves apparently.get lucky on their crappy guess

On an unrelated note: a week is not a reasonable time frame over which to spend several hours a day trying to get something to install properly. On the upside, I think it works now. Maybe.
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    the quality on this is terrible but there is one thing in it that I just find hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEzIHvXbNE
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
This discussion has been closed.