Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    yo dis fucking sangria

Give recipe

poody pls
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    There's a point where there's such a thing as too much sandbox, not enough mechanics.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    also i love it when intelligent men use the term "broad"

it's so good

when I am p sure it's okay, I like to call ladies "toots"

when my buddy's grandfather was in the retirement home, he used to ask attractive female workers

"hey toots, don't I know your face from the pictures?"

and then, mouth agape, tongue waggling, comically (but really) try to grab their asses

i mean, it's sexual assault, yeah

but also hilarious
    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    We've hit uncanny valley in some mediums true but those are products of hundreds of hours of work for single experiences

procedurally generating such experiences? We're way off
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
    The first time I have to fight off giant spiders in a convincing VR game?

I might have a panic attack.

uuuuuuggghhh fucking IMAGINE how stressful that would be.

Oh god if you could get eaten by some horrible worm and they simulate the view as you slide in
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I wish cats didn't hide any possible pain so well.

I want to ask my cat if he is enjoying being alive and he is just kinda lying there looking at me.

The worst is when your cat is in enough pain for them to verbalize it.
    工事中
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/interviews/article/56848-an-unseemly-emotion-pw-talks-with-claire-messud.html
    I wouldn’t want to be friends with Nora, would you? Her outlook is almost unbearably grim.

For heaven’s sake, what kind of question is that? Would you want to be friends with Humbert Humbert? Would you want to be friends with Mickey Sabbath? Saleem Sinai? Hamlet? Krapp? Oedipus? Oscar Wao? Antigone? Raskolnikov? Any of the characters in The Corrections? Any of the characters in Infinite Jest? Any of the characters in anything Pynchon has ever written? Or Martin Amis? Or Orhan Pamuk? Or Alice Munro, for that matter? If you’re reading to find friends, you’re in deep trouble.
    I think that's a great point but I did make some friends in infinite jest
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

it's so good

It is such a vintage sexist term

I don't even know what etymologically renders it sexist

But I know I can't call my boss a broad

I don't have access to the OED but here is etymology.com

broad (n.)
    "woman," slang, 1911, perhaps suggestive of broad (adj.) hips, but it also might trace to American English abroadwife, word for a woman (often a slave) away from her husband. Earliest use of the slang word suggests immorality or coarse, low-class women. Because of this negative association, and the rise of women's athletics, the track and field broad jump was changed to the long jump c.1967.
    NO.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Variable wrote: »
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/interviews/article/56848-an-unseemly-emotion-pw-talks-with-claire-messud.html
    I wouldn’t want to be friends with Nora, would you? Her outlook is almost unbearably grim.

For heaven’s sake, what kind of question is that? Would you want to be friends with Humbert Humbert? Would you want to be friends with Mickey Sabbath? Saleem Sinai? Hamlet? Krapp? Oedipus? Oscar Wao? Antigone? Raskolnikov? Any of the characters in The Corrections? Any of the characters in Infinite Jest? Any of the characters in anything Pynchon has ever written? Or Martin Amis? Or Orhan Pamuk? Or Alice Munro, for that matter? If you’re reading to find friends, you’re in deep trouble.
    I think that's a great point but I did make some friends in infinite jest

Yeah I mean, I could probably hang out with Humbert Humbert if I didn't know he was a pedo

he was funny as hell
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    We've hit uncanny valley in some mediums true but those are products of hundreds of hours of work for single experiences

And when we succeed at creating something that's as real as real, and can simulate that stuff, then we are pretty screwed. In the sense that why bother living for your dreams at some future point that never comes when you can do them and everything else on a whim with a push of a button?
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Sex with people in person >>>>>>> fucking a video-feedback-modem

Deal with it

I have only had one I cannot rightly compare them!

You're looking at each other across the flashlight beam between you in your shared tent

Through the still open vents above you see stars because the party is far from any cities

You can still hear the straight 4 to the floor bass kicks pounding from up the path to dance floor but the rest of the music is muffled by redwoods and distance

"I feel kind of sweaty and"

"Who cares, um, is it okay if I"

And you get closer to each other, sitting on top of the rumpled sleeping bag, eyes bright and wet and reflective and asking questions in the tiny blade of light

And then closer

"Honestly I've been wondering all night if"

Vs

>>>BUFFERING 17%>>>

>>>THIS DICK BROUGH TO YOU BY AT&T>>>

>>>LIKE THIS ON FACEBOOK>>>

C'mon blud
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

And when we succeed at creating something that's as real as real, and can simulate that stuff, then we are pretty screwed. In the sense that why bother living for your dreams at some future point that never comes when you can do them and everything else on a whim with a push of a button?

https://player.vimeo.com/video/12915013
    h1DI1.jpg
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    M-maybe there is a Machine to take us away, take us completely, suck us through the electrodes out of the skull 'n' into the Machine and live there forever with all the other souls it's got stored there. It could decide who it would suck out, a-and when. Dope never gave you immoratality. You hadda come back, every time, into a dying hunk of smelly meat! But We can live forever, in a clean, honest, purified, Electroworld--
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I wish cats didn't hide any possible pain so well.

I want to ask my cat if he is enjoying being alive and he is just kinda lying there looking at me.

The worst is when your cat is in enough pain for them to verbalize it.

Ugh, so upon having written this, depression warning on this post.

Well then you can put them down.

Which sucks but I hate not knowing if he's in pain or if he would consider his life worth living if he had the cognitive capacity.

Like he's going to die soon and I have accepted that. But the wait is killing me more than the death will, and not knowing if he's enjoying his time here, and having to try and blindly feel for when it's best to have him put down, while he is continually sliding further and further? That is not something I know how to deal with. Part of me wants it to be over so I can be sad instead of watch him get thinner and thinner and throw up and never know if he finds the nuzzling in bed and the kisses worth it.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    If better MMOs with better worlds aren't made for the Oculus Rift I am quitting humanity.

Star Citizen.

Not enough. I intend to play Star Citizen with a rift and it's going to be great but space is not really that interesting to interact with compared to a terrestrial setting.

You can interact with terrestrial settings when you land on planets or inside ships, it's just not the main focus of the game.

And probably one of the things to be placed in a barebones to functional state at launch and then polished over time.

The game doesn't currently include seamless atmospheric re-entry and departure. The way planets will work doesn't seem very fleshed out either. I'd compare it to being able to explore the space ports that you'd land on in Freelancer. The game is also going to have instancing planetside to handle player counts!

That doesn't come anywhere close to realizing the Rift's potential for immersion and interactivity.

Sarksus, the more I read about your responses to MMOs, Wildstar housing, Star Citizen terrestrial stuff, the more I wonder aloud if the game you want can be created in the next decade at a reasonable price point and time frame without drastically limiting the scope and scale of all the other things that would make the experience you describe meaningful past "Oh look I can walk around this planet in my Oculus Rift look at all the pretty rocks".

I would love to have the kind of stuff the Rift is potentially capable of creating, but I also acknowledge that it's new tech just like all VR stuff is, and that devs are only barely scratching the surface with the kind of stuff available right now that can handle it. Star Citizen is going to take a long time and a lot of money to make and is explicitly creating a game with the Rift in mind from the get go; how many other studios have the time, funding, vision and consumer confidence to do something like that right now in the middle of a console generation transition when all the biggest names are more worried about catering to consoles and iOS for the bottom line?

It's going to take a while yet for this to really become something that gets done right the way we want and I am willing to take what I can get now just to use the damn thing.

This is missing my original point.

What I'm worried about is that the Rift's potential won't be used in the MMO genre period. You give me Star Citizen in response, but that game is going to be a drop in the bucket a decade from now when hopefully the Rift has been properly utilized. I think the MMO genre is capable of innovation right now, and it's not happening to any significant extent. Is the Rift going to be a catalyst? That would be nice, but I'm pessimistic.

So I'm not talking about timelines, I'm talking about what will be done at all.
    So It Goes wrote: »

it's so good

It is such a vintage sexist term

I don't even know what etymologically renders it sexist

But I know I can't call my boss a broad

I don't have access to the OED but here is etymology.com

broad (n.)
    "woman," slang, 1911, perhaps suggestive of broad (adj.) hips, but it also might trace to American English abroadwife, word for a woman (often a slave) away from her husband. Earliest use of the slang word suggests immorality or coarse, low-class women. Because of this negative association, and the rise of women's athletics, the track and field broad jump was changed to the long jump c.1967.

Wow

That is SUPER offensive on multiple levels
    yo dis fucking sangria

Give recipe

poody pls

1 bottle of red
    1 cup brandy
    1 cup triple sec
    1/2 cup st germain
    1 pineapple
    1 grapefruit
    2 oranges
    2 granny smith apples
    4 sticks cinnamon

cut fruit into 1/4 inch cubes EXCEPT for pineapple, which should be 1" cubes. add ingredients and let sit overnight, or at least four hours. serve over crushed ice and garnish with a pineapple crown leaf and a cinnamon stick
    biden%20sig.png

Deal with it

You're looking at each other across the flashlight beam between you in your shared tent

Through the still open vents above you see stars because the party is far from any cities

You can still hear the straight 4 to the floor bass kicks pounding from up the path to dance floor but the rest of the music is muffled by redwoods and distance

And you get closer to each other, sitting on top of the rumpled sleeping bag, eyes bright and wet and reflective and asking questions in the tiny blade of light

And then closer

Vs

>>>BUFFERING 17%>>>

C'mon blud

WELL EXCUSE ME MR. FANCY ASS AMAZING JEALOUSY INSPIRING SEX BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS HAD THAT

Because that sounds pretty great and I was being sarcastic originally but uh yeah, time to go meet ladies and go somewhere under the stars.

Deal with it

And then closer

Vs

>>>BUFFERING 17%>>>

C'mon blud

How incredibly apt.

I was imagining something along the lines of a Mass Effect thing where instead of a cutscene it's a... something more interactive. Loading screens and adverts would come before you even attempt the sexing.

And that's a whole can of worms waiting to be opened. What does your wife think of that? What does society think of that? Do you even care? Should you? Will this otaku wet dream bring with it some horrible mental disorders related to loss of knowing what's real and valid and important? All because of the prize?

Once again, like the alien female thing, I reserve judgement until I've seen and experienced it versus the four years experience I have with the real deal.
    I would read classy erotica penned be desc.

Deal with it

And then closer

Vs

>>>BUFFERING 17%>>>

C'mon blud

WELL EXCUSE ME MR. FANCY ASS AMAZING JEALOUSY INSPIRING SEX BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS HAD THAT

Because that sounds pretty great and I was being sarcastic originally but uh yeah, time to go meet ladies and go somewhere under the stars.

I'm just saying

Fucking a video card = second place in the subjective hierarchy

That's all
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Yes, but.

I would totally kick it with Michael Pemulis.
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    On the other hand true virtual reality lets you do whatever you want with primary sexual characteristics.

So it still has its own appeal in that way.

Deal with it

And then closer

Vs

>>>BUFFERING 17%>>>

C'mon blud

It's a place where ugly people don't have to be ugly

We'll skip right past acceptance into control

It's a race between high level body modding and virtual sex chambers

..man people are going to do some dark shit in their VR rooms
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    fuck I missed @Powerpuppies

i will try to chat at him tomorrow when I am done with yardwork
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Tasteful pornography is an oxymoron.
    FrenchCat2.jpg

Deal with it

And then closer

Vs

>>>BUFFERING 17%>>>

C'mon blud

I'm just saying

Fucking a video card = second place in the subjective hierarchy

That's all

Actually honestly all that stuff leading up alone is pretty awesome.

The best part about being single is knowing that something like that can happen >.>
    Like there will be programs on torrent sites or whatever where you can simulate kidnapping and assaulting or murdering someone

I guarantee it

EEEUUGHHH

The moral panic, the legislation

Guys I'm having a speculating seizure
    @desc i love you so much
    biden%20sig.png
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Ugh, my brain is being awful. Think I prefer being lonely at least it's less stressful.
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Tasteful pornography is an oxymoron.

Lies, it's just kinda like scratch and sniff.

Oh wait other tasteful.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    On the other hand true virtual reality lets you do whatever you want with primary sexual characteristics.

So it still has its own appeal in that way.

Will Riker approves.
    yo dis fucking sangria

Give recipe

poody pls

1 bottle of red
    1 cup brandy
    1 cup triple sec
    1/2 cup st germain
    1 pineapple
    1 grapefruit
    2 oranges
    2 granny smith apples
    4 sticks cinnamon

cut fruit into 1/4 inch cubes EXCEPT for pineapple, which should be 1" cubes. add ingredients and let sit overnight, or at least four hours. serve over crushed ice and garnish with a pineapple crown leaf and a cinnamon stick

Bro

That's not even sangria anymore

But it is delicious
    yo dis fucking sangria

Give recipe

poody pls

1 bottle of red
    1 cup brandy
    1 cup triple sec
    1/2 cup st germain
    1 pineapple
    1 grapefruit
    2 oranges
    2 granny smith apples
    4 sticks cinnamon

Bro

That's not even sangria anymore

But it is delicious
    edited May 2013
    It's a place where ugly people don't have to be ugly

They're way less ugly than they think they are

They might not be ugly at all!
    desc on
    If better MMOs with better worlds aren't made for the Oculus Rift I am quitting humanity.

Star Citizen.

Not enough. I intend to play Star Citizen with a rift and it's going to be great but space is not really that interesting to interact with compared to a terrestrial setting.

You can interact with terrestrial settings when you land on planets or inside ships, it's just not the main focus of the game.

And probably one of the things to be placed in a barebones to functional state at launch and then polished over time.

The game doesn't currently include seamless atmospheric re-entry and departure. The way planets will work doesn't seem very fleshed out either. I'd compare it to being able to explore the space ports that you'd land on in Freelancer. The game is also going to have instancing planetside to handle player counts!

That doesn't come anywhere close to realizing the Rift's potential for immersion and interactivity.

Sarksus, the more I read about your responses to MMOs, Wildstar housing, Star Citizen terrestrial stuff, the more I wonder aloud if the game you want can be created in the next decade at a reasonable price point and time frame without drastically limiting the scope and scale of all the other things that would make the experience you describe meaningful past "Oh look I can walk around this planet in my Oculus Rift look at all the pretty rocks".

I would love to have the kind of stuff the Rift is potentially capable of creating, but I also acknowledge that it's new tech just like all VR stuff is, and that devs are only barely scratching the surface with the kind of stuff available right now that can handle it. Star Citizen is going to take a long time and a lot of money to make and is explicitly creating a game with the Rift in mind from the get go; how many other studios have the time, funding, vision and consumer confidence to do something like that right now in the middle of a console generation transition when all the biggest names are more worried about catering to consoles and iOS for the bottom line?

It's going to take a while yet for this to really become something that gets done right the way we want and I am willing to take what I can get now just to use the damn thing.

This is missing my original point.

What I'm worried about is that the Rift's potential won't be used in the MMO genre period. You give me Star Citizen in response, but that game is going to be a drop in the bucket a decade from now when hopefully the Rift has been properly utilized. I think the MMO genre is capable of innovation right now, and it's not happening to any significant extent. Is the Rift going to be a catalyst? That would be nice, but I'm pessimistic.

So I'm not talking about timelines, I'm talking about what will be done at all.

Your very optimistic of a genre that has failed to live up to it's potential ever since the glimmers of greatness of the late 90's/early 2000's were snuffed out by WoW and it's shadow, coupled together with the fact MMOs are hard and massive and expensive.

I think Rift's potential is better spent on other gaming genres and other non gaming applications first and foremost before attempting to bend a MMO's massive scale and scope to it's particular needs and implications for the game's design. MMOs already have a hard enough time as it is accommodating various mechanics to people's disparate visions for the genre and what they are willing to play and pay for long term.

If Star Citizen is a drop in the bucket a decade from now I'll eat my hat or something but I really don't see that being the case, simply because Star Citizen's success or failure will be indicative of what the future of many MMO titles and other ambitious projects will look like and what can be achieved outside the mainstream developer/publisher relationship and it's assigned constraints.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    my uncle treated me to iron man 3. we saw it in 3d which does nothing for me but he seemed to like that aspect.

it was kind of strange as a comic movie. it had a really quirky sense of humor and i feel like the villain's motivations weren't all that fleshed out. also the young character is kind of o_o.

but the action was good and i got to see hot ladies so meh.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    also broad and dame are both weird words. like, they're lame but then not-lame people try to reclaim them and... it doesn't matter, they still sound lame.

Deal with it

And then closer

Vs

>>>BUFFERING 17%>>>

C'mon blud

post of the decade material here, folks
    biden%20sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Doing something interesting with the sandbox is probably harder than building the sandbox. EVE Online has a great sandbox but CCP fucked up the gameplay, mainly the combat and skill system. The Infinity tech demo by Flavien Brebion is like the most perfect starting point for a Rift game. It's a great sandbox engine but it needs gameplay to be implemented. What I want is possible, but there isn't enough support to get it done, and I'm worried it won't be done even when the Rift is available.
This discussion has been closed.