Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Dota 2] Yep, still in beta.

SkabSkab Registered User regular
Dota2_news.jpg

What is this Dota you speak of?
Defense of the Ancents was originally created in Warcraft 3 by the mapmaker Eul, and was based off of the Starcraft custom game Aeon of Strife. When WC3: The Frozen Throne was released Eul stopped updating the map, which then caused a flood of different varients to appear across battle.net. Among them was DotA Allstars, which was created by Guinsoo, which became main version that we have today. During Guinsoos time, Pendragon came along and made dota-allstars.com in reponse to the need for a main dedicated website for the growing community. With version 6.01, Guinsoo passed authorship off to Icefrog, who started adding new heroes, items, mechanics and fixes, and still runs the game to this day.

Guinsoo and Pendragon would later go on to work at Riot and help create League of Legends, while Icefrog and Eul would go on to work at Valve and are now working on Dota 2.

Dota 2 is the sequel to that popular Warcraft 3 custom game that has since spawned an entire genre with the likes of League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. If you have played either of those games then you have a basic idea of how things work.

Gameplay remains true to the original Dota, but takes advantage of everything the source engine and Steam have to offer. Besides better graphics, this means things like reconnecting, being able to spectate any match currently in progress even while waiting in que for matchmaking, and no longer having this happen to you
rage6.gif

New to the game and want to learn? The following links will get you started. Dota has a massive learning curve, so you wont learn everything here, but it should be enough to get you on your feet.
(Credit for this list actually goes to Gully State over on Gaf.)

First

Second (Warning, these are long.)

"Hey, I'm freaking amazing at LoL so I should be good at this too, right?"
Not exactly. While at their core they are similar, there are some some key differences that make the meta/feel/pace different. Some of these include things like the way carry heroes work, denying, gold loss on death, towers behaving differently, runes, a larger map, a str/agi/int based stat system, more active/useable items, and more.

Heroes & Items

There are currently 108 heroes in Dota, and while all of them will be coming over to Dota 2, only about 3/4s of the hero pool is available in the current beta build. Currently we get about one new heroes a week, with Valve sometimes surprising us with either more or none at all.

Current hero pool: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Heroes
Items: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Items

Curious what heroes are on their way? http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Unreleased_Content

Other Useful Links

http://blog.dota2.com
http://www.joindota.com/en/start

Announcement art (also in the valve store as posters)
dota2_onesheet_drowranger.jpg

dota2_onesheet_lina.jpg

dota2_onesheet_morphling.jpg

dota2_onesheet_bloodseeker.jpg

(This OP is a work in progress, more info will be added as more people are able to get their hands on the game.)
steam_sig.png

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    To continue from the previous thread, would heartstopper prevent people from using clarities?

gamertag: Canadianllama
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I have no illusions about Necrolyte being a good hero.

But he is hilarious against people who play greedy and feed you.
    C2hmw6F.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    No. Heartstopper is negative HP regen instead of damage so it doesn't break clarity/salve
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    i put him in the same scope as a fed DP. if they get any sort of level gap, they are going to wreck your day
    camo_sig.png
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Like I told my buddy the other day (who had never seen me play necro), "I play necro when I want to win." I don't play him a ton, but I am 10-1 with him. He's easy mode against/with the right team.

@disco11 I don't think it does, I could be wrong though.
    Prospicience on
    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Like I told my buddy the other day (who had never seen me play necro), "I play necro when I want to win." I don't play him a ton, but I am 10-1 with him. He's easy mode against/with the right team.

@disco11 I don't think it does, I could be wrong though.

It doesn't. Also will slowly tick down neutral camps without aggro-ing them.

I actually love playing Necro. I don't think he's bad per say, but he's unfortunately a support hero that has to farm like a carry. Or just a mediocre carry with a heal.
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    No. Heartstopper is negative HP regen instead of damage so it doesn't break clarity/salve

Actually it's HP removal. Same effect. Urn is also HP removal, won't break urn or salve healing.
    Ha ha, I knew it. Tree's Living Armor is secret good now.

http://dotametrics.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/6-77cs-treant-protector-is-secretly-really-good/

I've come up against a few players running the armor build, and it's frustrating to go up against.
  • milskimilski Registered User regular
    It's a very cheap low cooldown 140 "HP" per rank. I think even when instances that didn't get blocked removed charges, it was pretty nice, but now it's just crazy. Boring, but crazy effective.
    Steam ID: Milski
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 Registered User regular
    Feels a bit like TA refraction, but for everybody.
    "Famished dogs follow slowly as my own paws drag me to a dock, / to the last plank where I struggle to deny myself the path that every Pisces craves, /
    ... and I cough for every crater that I could see, / on the surface of that coffin we've come to call the moon." Circle Takes the Square
    It's annoying as hell. Especially in low skill scrubland where no one ever pushes towers down, instead opting to slowly whittle them down over time.

He's still a pretty high skill threshold hero though. I swear no one knows how to use his invis. correctly.
  • SicariiSicarii Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Jesus, just had the kind of game that requires you take a long break afterwards. Log in to all pick and random Dragon Knight, ok not my favorite but I can make due. One guy drops, I pause but he takes a while so we unpause and go. Antimage takes mid which is....against a BH. Wisp comes bot with me and proceeds to autoattack and use spirits for lh. I make a soul ring which at that point I realize we have no courier. BH begins roaming and kills wisp, am tries to gank but he's an early level am and has no gank potential so it's pointless. I'm in lane when naga comes but i have no mana since my soul ring is sitting in base and I miss an easy kill by 5 mana. It is at this point that I think I get my first insult and I realize my entire team speaks no English. I then go back to base and buy courier. I also start warding since we have none. After assisting a gank on a rhasta and helping push top tower, our ogre magi asks in all for everyone to ban me. Which is great because this is literally my first time being on the same side of the map as this guy so...

Now I'm not fluent in spanish but I speak it well enough and as the game goes on I notice they are just relentlessly insulting me both verbally and written. These guys are all friends playing together. So as my team has apparently decided to ban me, I appeal to the other team hoping for some sympathy. Turns out, they also are all spanish speaking and at the end of the game, join in with my team in bashing the only yankee playing.

So I'm pretty sure I'm about to get a mute ban.
    Sicarii on
    korrasig2.jpg
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »
    Jesus, just had the kind of game that requires you take a long break afterwards. Log in with to all pick and random Dragon Knight, ok not my favorite but I can make due. One guy drops, I pause but he takes a while so we unpause and go. Antimage takes mid which is....against a BH. Wisp comes bot with me and proceeds to autoattack and use spirits for lh. I make a soul ring which at that point I realize we have no courier. BH begins roaming and kills wisp, am tries to gank but he's an early level am and has no gank potential so it's pointless. I'm in lane when naga comes but i have no mana since my soul ring is sitting in base and I miss an easy kill by 5 mana. It is at this point that I think I get my first insult and I realize my entire team speaks no English. I then go back to base and buy courier. I also start warding since we have none. After assisting a gank on a rhasta and helping push top tower, our ogre magi asks in all for everyone to ban me. Which is great because this is literally my first time being on the same side of the map as this guy so...

Now I'm not fluent in spanish but I speak it well enough and as the game goes on I notice they are just relentlessly insulting me both verbally and written. These guys are all friends playing together. So as my team has apparently decided to ban me, I appeal to the other team hoping for some sympathy. Turns out, they also are all spanish speaking and at the end of the game, join in with my team in bashing the only yankee playing.

Biscuit was just tweeting about the language thing yesterday:

steam_sig.png
    the idea of reporting someone for not speaking english is ridiculous and laughable
  • SicariiSicarii Registered User regular
    My story is more about playing with idiots than about language settings. I haven't had a huge problem communicating with Spanish only teammates in the past. It was more the fact that I got teamed with 4 toolbags that didn't know how to play and then got the other team to join in on trolling me on the basis of shared camaraderie
    korrasig2.jpg
  • JJJJ Registered User regular
    Jesus, just had the kind of game that requires you take a long break afterwards. Log in to all pick and random Dragon Knight, ok not my favorite but I can make due. One guy drops, I pause but he takes a while so we unpause and go. Antimage takes mid which is....against a BH. Wisp comes bot with me and proceeds to autoattack and use spirits for lh. I make a soul ring which at that point I realize we have no courier. BH begins roaming and kills wisp, am tries to gank but he's an early level am and has no gank potential so it's pointless. I'm in lane when naga comes but i have no mana since my soul ring is sitting in base and I miss an easy kill by 5 mana. It is at this point that I think I get my first insult and I realize my entire team speaks no English. I then go back to base and buy courier. I also start warding since we have none. After assisting a gank on a rhasta and helping push top tower, our ogre magi asks in all for everyone to ban me. Which is great because this is literally my first time being on the same side of the map as this guy so...

This is one of the reasons why I only play in a 3+ stack over vent.
    Mr. Banballow was so badly maimed, he turned into a hideous monster, oozing and bleeding, snarling and growling like a beast---enraged and bent on revenge. He tracked down the kids responsible for the fire and killed them one by one----with a blowtorch. That wasn't enough for Banballow. He won't leave his inn or his memories, so there he waits....in ambush....
  • sparklesparkle Registered User regular
    the point of heartstopper isn't to harass them out of lane. Its to force them to spend more money on regen and keep their health below full to make them easier to gank. Its a helluva lot easier to gank someone at half health than someone at full. at level 3 with 2 points in heartstopper, your degen is about equal to a tango.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Team instapicks pl+kotl safe lane with jungle Enigma support. Goes something like 3-2-10 by 15 minutes (kills happened when mid came bot) vs naga + best support player in the world offlane. Good times.
    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated May 3rd. Ramblings!
    edited May 2013
    My story is more about playing with idiots than about language settings. I haven't had a huge problem communicating with Spanish only teammates in the past. It was more the fact that I got teamed with 4 toolbags that didn't know how to play and then got the other team to join in on trolling me on the basis of shared camaraderie

Although, as a point of order....playing an all pick solo q game and randoming is a great first step in guaranteeing a loss. (I really wish they'd just remove the option altogether.) Regardless, once Wisp is on your team, it's game over anyway - as that little ball of light might be about the worst pub pick ever.

Most of the time if I go solo and pick early/random, my team makes every attempt to pick the worst heroes ever. 4 hard carries? Why not? Not a single stun? No problem! Bonus points if 2 people pick heroes that need mid and then spend the first couple minutes fighting over farm in the lane.
    Dark_Side on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    Random every game, removing that would be the worst.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • KlatuKlatu Registered User regular

Same thing happened to me last night, but with Russian instead of Spanish. I think my friend and I were the only Aussies in the game and we both got shit on for the entire game for not being Russian.

And while I'm sure not every Russian is a bad, any time there's more than 1 on my team we lose. Seeing a full enemy team of Russian names = easy win.
    Steam id:Klatu - PS3 id: Klatu_PA
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    the idea of reporting someone for not speaking english is ridiculous and laughable

Its more if you pick to play in the english language queue and don't speak it that he has a problem with.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Its more if you pick to play in the english language queue and don't speak it that he has a problem with.

Yeah that's really annoying.
    img.php?id=valiance_
    valiance wrote: »

Yeah that's really annoying.

And then procede to report/verbally abuse the english language players.
    I random most games even when I'm playing with v. high/high bracket friends (not that high is even super meaningful), and unless my RL college friends want me to play a certain role (generally hard carry or mid), I always random with them. When I'm in higher skill brackets and nobody is picking, getting a random in and calling a lane stops the role chicken. It does so slightly less so with my college friends (especially given the one that generally waits until 15 seconds past game start to make sure he isn't "counterpicked" as axe or jungle ursa, then picks one of those two regardless of the enemy comp), but in those games it's mostly to learn whatever against "real" people who won't have an edge just because our team comp sucks.

So the random option is pretty awesome! I enjoy it. Maybe I like playing a broader set of heroes than most (anything but zero CS supports that don't really set up kills, which only excludes me from very few characters and a slightly broader set of lane pairings), but the random button is a nice way to get paid to make sure I don't stagnate my picking options.

the idea of the english language queue is terrible and it's valve catering to dummies

would you report someone who didn't say anything all match?
    milski wrote: »
    I random most games even when I'm playing with v. high/high bracket friends (not that high is even super meaningful), and unless my RL college friends want me to play a certain role (generally hard carry or mid), I always random with them. When I'm in higher skill brackets and nobody is picking, getting a random in and calling a lane stops the role chicken. It does so slightly less so with my college friends (especially given the one that generally waits until 15 seconds past game start to make sure he isn't "counterpicked" as axe or jungle ursa, then picks one of those two regardless of the enemy comp), but in those games it's mostly to learn whatever against "real" people who won't have an edge just because our team comp sucks.

So the random option is pretty awesome! I enjoy it. Maybe I like playing a broader set of heroes than most (anything but zero CS supports that don't really set up kills, which only excludes me from very few characters and a slightly broader set of lane pairings), but the random button is a nice way to get paid to make sure I don't stagnate my picking options.

I know I know, it's just been a particular pet peeve of mine for awhile. Too many games with too many bad picks, which I guess I should make clear isn't the random players' fault so much as the not-randoming people who make shit picks after them.

I've been on a holy terror with Bristleback lately, good god is he fun to play.

edited May 2013
    I think it's worth noting that a person who says nothing all match but who can actually read the language a player is playing in can still understand if you try to communicate; a player who says they are English speaking and has English as their language but does not speak English will not even be able to understand chatwheel messages, since the autotranslate would just send them in English.

So the comparison is a bit more complex than "people who speak a language you don't understand, contributing nothing" versus "people who don't speak at all, contributing nothing." The latter can at least be broken up into the categories of does/doesn't understand what you're saying to them. I wouldn't even call it a minor detail, since the "does understand" category is, if nothing else, a fair bit more likely to not run to lanes already taken (which I'll grant is about the extent of guaranteed communication).

Language queues probably don't need to be enforced strictly, but if the playerbase is large enough to support well matched games of the appropriate language and location, it also doesn't have any real negatives I can see.

EDIT to DS: That's why, unless I'm stacked significantly (3+ minimum, usually in 4 or 5), I don't instarandom; I give it a fair amount of time to make sure we haven't locked out any given role, and then I random (with enough time left to let other people pick reasonably) and things get figured out pretty well, with the worst thing that might happen is if we have only a mid pick and I also random a mid pick. Bad picks are going to happen, but if you're a reasonable randomer (waiting until people who just have to pick certain things get their pick in, mostly), randoming 1 or 2 people, by itself, shouldn't generally create worse AP compositions than normal. It's just that sometimes people make bad picks, and one of those bad picks is definitely randoming when you're already saturated with a role.
    milski on
  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    today i bootystomped as necrolyte gettin mad last hits with sadist and then phase boots for more last hits then just owning in general cause i'm cool

almost lost though cause lifestealer is ridonkustupid and global silence

we basically lost every teamfight global silence was up and got a rax every time it was down
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin SPECIAL DELIVERY Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    Best of all, have your say in assembling the 2013 All Star team: Vote for 10 of your favorite players from any team and the winners will play in a showmatch at The International.

Oh my.
    23uzq4m.gif
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    On the topic of people not speaking your language, it became a bit of a problem (at least I assume it was the problem) yesterday when the enemy team dropped a rapier (yeah, we were getting fucked before hand), and the only guy who could use without dying instantly in a team fight refused to take it, or rather just ignored us entirely. Neither chat or map pings would draw his attention, quite frustrating :/
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Burning, Dendi, Bulldog, Chuan, Synderen
    vs
    Icecube, Ferrari, Singsing, Kuroky, ixmike
  • sparklesparkle Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

I know I know, it's just been a particular pet peeve of mine for awhile. Too many games with too many bad picks, which I guess I should make clear isn't the random players' fault so much as the not-randoming people who make shit picks after them.

I've been on a holy terror with Bristleback lately, good god is he fun to play.
    someone has to pick first. what is the difference between you picking a hero because you randomly feel like playing it or letting the RNG gods decide for you and give you 250 gold for free?
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Personally, if I'm going to be playing support in a pub I'd like to pick a good one like KotL or Rubick, not get stuck randoming Pugna or CM. Likewise if I'm going to offlane I'd like to go DS or LD, not end up randoming Mirana or Timbersaw. It can be the difference between having an alright lane and not feeding midgame and having a good lane and a fun time.
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Valve did a test tonight and put 500 of these up for sale for $10 each. They sold out in under ten minutes...
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Eh, honestly 95% of the heroes are playable in AP pubs (and that may be overestimating those that cannot do well at all), and I don't mind a majority of the cast, so randoming doesn't seem that bad. If you have a very specific position you want to play (due to previous picks, wanting to set up a comp, etc.) then obviously randoming isn't worth it, but if you're at the level of coordination your team wants a solo offlaner you are pretty much past the point where your random is going to give you a reasonable hero unless nobody else has picked yet, but that isn't most pub games (nor most stacked games I play, but that's my experience).

EDIT: The limited items thing is interesting just because most items are now created by people besides Valve, and I'm not sure how happy they'd be about having a continuous revenue stream essentially capped at a specific value. It lets people who want to arbitrage steam cash using items happy, though, which probably doesn't hurt.
    milski on
  • PeewiPeewi Enchanted, I'm sure Registered User regular

Unfortunately that completely screws over anyone that doesn't speak English, Russian or Chinese.
    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521 Diablo 3: Peewi#1575
    steam_sig.png
    Peewi wrote: »

Unfortunately that completely screws over anyone that doesn't speak English, Russian or Chinese.

Oh I agree in that regard. I was just referring to what total biscuit and the others are saying, the game would definitely need more language options IF it were to go that route.
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Oh I agree in that regard. I was just referring to what total biscuit and the others are saying, the game would definitely need more language options IF it were to go that route.

Which is why it wont go that route. There is no way to successfully enforce language options without adding so many languages that you splinter the player base so much the damage outweighs any benefits.

It isn't even nearly as big of an issue as people make it out to be anyway.