Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Dota 2] Yep, still in beta.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    mts wrote: »
    BigKev wrote: »
    Living armor is RIDICULOUS!!!

I am still kind of surprised by how well
    DD is playing, I had not really heard anything about them. the score didn't really show it, but man did they control the game
    I've seen them play a couple of times and remember thinking they REALLY worked well in team fights, but I was really gunning for AL - I actually picked AL to win the west too. Oh well :(
    Prospicience on
    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • AuralynxAuralynx Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    The base damage means you can easily farm, though most of the time you won't be doing it. (Though holy crap can you harass enemy heroes at lvl 1) When I play him now, I just sit in lane and constantly spam living armor. You'll give your team such a wild ass advantage early that most enemy teams will never come back from the deficit.

You do have to know how to abuse his invis though. I see people play him all the time and they never use it. Because you can cast spells and use items without popping the invis, you can do some amazing shit.

It ends up being less that you have to realize how to use his invisibility as that it has to avoid making your lane partner, if any, act like a crazy person. I had a Pugna bitching me out for not using it to "save him," from Chen ganks in a lane with stuns available the other day... while he ran up and down the middle of it and threw out Nether Blasts.
    Playing in:
    World's Largest Dungeon 4E as Torbera
    BSG Exodus Game 17 as Tom Zarek
    Twilight Imperium Game 7 as Muaat
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost Registered User regular
    i have to say that my most favorite items in this game are all geared towards support

mek, medallion, arcane boots, whatever

oh and witch doctor with an ult stick is just delicious amounts of troll

not as much troll as shadow shaman, though

i basically judge heroes based on their troll factor

the best thing is getting plenty of roaming and ganking capability and just running around being aggravating as shit
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    i have to say that my most favorite items in this game are all geared towards support

the best thing is getting plenty of roaming and ganking capability and just running around being aggravating as shit

Troll characters you say? May I suggest Undying and Disruptor for your consideration then.
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular

Troll characters you say? May I suggest Undying and Disruptor for your consideration then.

Those aren't trolls. One's an orc the other's a zombie. Go with batrider and troll warlord for more trolls. Atleast 80% trolls, both of them. Troll warlord probably 100%.
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Those aren't trolls. One's an orc the other's a zombie. Go with batrider and troll warlord for more trolls. Atleast 80% trolls, both of them. Troll warlord probably 100%.

Not sure if snark or just overly literal xD
    C2hmw6F.png
  • Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary Registered User regular
    Regarding the International West Qualifiers:
    SLARK WOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm glad to see him picked and used to such great effect!
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Not sure if snark or just overly literal xD

I forgot about Dazzle as well. He's 100% a troll. And huskar is a troll.
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    And they called her the Irish Roooooover.

Watching these games reminds me as to why I'm always in medium match making. Last hitting....Consistantly?!
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've played about 9 or 10 games with Nature's Prophet, to the point where I feel pretty comfortable in his role and doing OK in a game. Should I keep playing as NP or branch out (sorry) into other characters?

I mean how do others do it, do you master a character then move on or do you just randomize every time?
    freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    I try to know at least one hero for every role so I can always play what my team is missing. Let others pick first and then pick what best compliments their choices.
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    yea, pretty much what jakorian said. get good at a stable of heros so you can either pick someone to fit or role or at least have someone else to play if your hero gets insta picked
    camo_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Although, you should try to at least play every hero once or twice to get an idea of how they play, and how to play against them.
    As an example, how mana starved Tiny is early, and so on...
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Single draft is good for that.
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Dem pub dota games. We're up against pa/drow/tide/lion/axe. Figure we're gonna get a hard lane. Drow gives up first blood at rune for me on vengeful, with brother on luna. We come to lane and... Lion/tide up against us. Collect free kills on lion, and game went downhill from there. Always nice to have a 20 min stomp now and then.
    SC2EU/US: Frozenzen.437 Steam: Frozenzen
    ha, i just had a game as a lion were we had lion/undying/medusa/nature's/mirana. medusa went top, as did I but NP refused to not go top. so we had undying solo. or me with undying. and a double carry top stealing eachother's farm.

It went so, so well.
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Nature's prophet didn't just jungle?
    Nope. He had to lane with medusa.
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    anyone having issues downlaoding todays replays? it hangs on finding the replay and then locks up my dota close if i try to exit
    camo_sig.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So I'm sure others have already seen this, but I only just noticed it was found/up on the wiki.

100px-Arc_Warden.png

Arc Warden icon.
    Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Also, new stretch goals for the compendium announced

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

Custom hud, custom taunt, vote on players for an 8 man 1v1 tourney, and the new final stretch goal is to pick the next hero released.
    steam_sig.png
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    Yeah, if that happens i think its fair to say Techies are probably coming to Dota 2.
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    So I'm sure others have already seen this, but I only just noticed it was found/up on the wiki.

100px-Arc_Warden.png

Arc Warden icon.

i know exactly what you saw but they seem to have changed it back on you, haha

but yeah i saw a Zet work in progress portrait that looked pretty damn good - maybe it was a fake? i've heard 4chan made a fake Ember Spirit portrait once
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited May 2013
    BigKev wrote: »
    Yeah, if that happens i think its fair to say Techies are probably coming to Dota 2.

not if you give someone a vote between 3. its like getting a child to do what you want so it gives the illusion of choice. its the difference between asking who would you like to have and which of these 3 would you want. the first gets you techies, the second gets you one of 3 heroes you were ready to relesae anyways. both "let you pick the next hero"
    mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Nope. He had to lane with medusa.

People who duoqueue to lane together and go double carry lanes confuse me so much. I at least have the decency of either going support, or forcing my brother to support if I feel like carrying!
    SC2EU/US: Frozenzen.437 Steam: Frozenzen
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me how you determine what level of game you were placed in? We discussed this a few pages back but I still can't see where it tells me that.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter.
    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated May 3rd. Ramblings!
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how you determine what level of game you were placed in? We discussed this a few pages back but I still can't see where it tells me that.

When searching for game replays, you can put in your own player name and filter according to skill tier. Just switch through the tiers until you find the game you just played.
    Vic on
    BlazeFire wrote: »

You go to the 'Watch' tab. Click on 'Recent Games' type your name into the player name section, and then you can filter it by skill level. There's only three: medium, high and very high.
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Page- wrote: »
    It doesn't matter.

You're right, it doesn't really. I played with a friend who has played many more games than me though and I was just curious.

Thanks for the explanation guys.
    Unless you run stomp stacks, odds are pretty good you're in the bottom tier bracket. Which ain't so bad, it's something like 60-70%+ of Dota 2 players.
    Unless you run stomp stacks, odds are pretty good you're in the bottom tier bracket. Which ain't so bad, it's something like 60-70%+ of Dota 2 players.

Since I had to google "stomp stacks" I'm sure I must be in the bottom tier, haha.
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    It's like 80% I think, isn't it?
    C2hmw6F.png
    3clipse wrote: »
    It's like 80% I think, isn't it?

It very well may. It's been a long time since I looked at general player stats for the game.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King Registered User regular
    Missed Qualifiers yesterday (stupid Birthdays), excited to see what happened. If any of you spoil it I'ma punch ya in the throats.
    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
    All I've learned watching the qualifiers is that blinks breaking Slark's tether is total bullshit.
  • sparklesparkle Registered User regular
    All I've learned watching the qualifiers is that blinks breaking Slark's tether is total bullshit.

thats bullshit, but dark pact removing ultimate stuns like Roar and Lasso isn't? slark needs some weaknesses.
  • Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary Registered User regular
    His weakness is that he is just TOO GOOD at being great, and that this aptitude for spontaneous heroism inspires jealousy in the black, shriveled hearts of his enemies.
    edited May 2013
    sparkle wrote: »

thats bullshit, but dark pact removing ultimate stuns like Roar and Lasso isn't? slark needs some weaknesses.

I mean, you're still gonna get the stun. DP has a pretty long wind up. And he'd have to see it coming and trigger it beforehand. Which definitely can and will happen with high level players. But pouncing on a QoP and "herp derp, I'll just no skill blink away" is stupid.

Dark_Side on