Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Dota 2] Yep, still in beta.

• BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    What hype is that?

I got the Compendium, it seems pretttty awesome.
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    If TI3 was around the same time as PAX I would've tried to score tickets.

However I can't go seattle twice in the same year let alone month.
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Played one of my most organized games of DoTA yet last night. I went Lich as support. Didn't want to embarass myself. Then I bought and activated a courier right after someone else did. Drrrr....
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I buy a courier every game.

I pretty much 100% duoqueue with my brother though, so always have someone to support.
    SC2EU/US: Frozenzen.437 Steam: Frozenzen
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    RoyceX7 wrote: »
    Looks like the hype around the TI3 ticket or the interactive compendium isnt in this thread
    Does the compendium give you access to the tourny or is that separate?
    camo_sig.png
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    RoyceX7 wrote: »
    Looks like the hype around the TI3 ticket or the interactive compendium isnt in this thread
    Does the compendium give you access to the tourny or is that separate?

No, you can watch in the game client for free, streams will probably be free 720 or 1080p.
    Wasn't sure about the last one and most if the tourneys require tickets now. Though now that I think about it, the invitational is why everyone has dota2 in their library.
    camo_sig.png
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    The International was free in-game last year, I imagine it will be this year too.
    C2hmw6F.png
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    sparkle wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Priest wrote: »
    Is the community here as oppressive as LoL? I played that extensively about 2 years ago, but quit, and can't lower my self-esteem enough in order to reinstall. For some crazy reason, though I don't remember purchasing it, I have this game in my Steam list, but I have a feeling that I'm going to get shat on by four other people all day.

Unfortunately, the short answer is yes, it is. Riot is arguably much farther ahead in managing the toxic community these games foster though. Valve is working on it, but it's still very rudimentary.

That wasn't my experience. There were way more smurfs due to first-win-of-the-day bonuses and having to buy heroes. And its really people who are used to playing higher up that flame people who screw up. Not nearly as much of a point with smurfing in Dota. Although it can be used to escape low priority, and low priority/comm bans are generally the type of people that flame.

Anyways, LoL is definitely worse for just 1 important reason. Pub meta. 1 tanky dps top, ap mid, ad+support bottom. violate the meta, get reported.

Disco11 wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    So this was one of the most frustrating games I have played lately

http://dotabuff.com/matches/189996826

I was Pugna. Our Nyx never stunned anyone until 35 minutes + into the game and would run from every teamfight even if it we had the numbers advantage. Our alchemist was non stop bitching that I was stealing LH with Neather blast 40+ minutes into the game after he already had Heart & assault Cuirass. I have only been playing for a few months but nothing pisses me off more then people just dithering all the time.

End bitch post.

You really shouldn't be nether blasting creeps though, since even with two big ticket items, Alch A: gets more gold, B: scales better with items (especially with two big ticket items already), and C: is much worse with less items than Pugna is (since Pugna has good stat growths in Int, which is all that really matters for him, while Alch has bad stat growths in everything as a carry).

At 40 minutes it probably doesn't matter, as the enemy carries should be online by that point. I mean maybe he's trying to flash farm mjolnir at that point, but bitching at supports blasting creep waves at 40 min. is pretty poor form. Go farm ancients or team push towers if you need more cash.

Edit: Although if dude politely asks you to leave him waves to farm, you should absolutely do that.

I was trying to push towers. Serious question though, If we are trying to push a T2 tower after a teamfight that took out a few of the other team, should we not being doing it as quick as possible? Neather blast hurts towers. I usually wait until their creep wave rolls up on it and hit them with a blast.

Is that stealing farm? Sorry if this sounds snarky.
    one thing to keep in mind is Alch's Greevil's Greed. As long as he kills a creep every 25 seconds, he maintains his stacks. If you wiped out a whole wave with nether blast, you might have robbed him of quite a bit of potential lost income.

Also, I think your item build was pretty questionable.

You are right about Greevil's greed I guess. If we are doing a push I just try to barrel down towers as fast as I can and use nether every opportunity I get. Especially if it's after the 40 minute mark and we have a man advantage.

I usually get mana boots and scepter on Pugna. If I have a bit of cash left over and the other team is not high on CC I start work on bloodstone. It's served me pretty well as I usually stand on the fringe of a battle, lay down Nether Ward and use life drain non-stop if not using nether blast.

You have a different suggestion?

gamertag: Canadianllama
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    The International was free in-game last year, I imagine it will be this year too.

I think it is. Anyway, I really love how Valve has curated the tournament. The Compendium seems rather high in price, but I guess that's because you get a courier, which if one watches enough games and people figure out how to game the system, will probably end up worth a lot of money in the end.

3clipse wrote: »

I think it is. Anyway, I really love how Valve has curated the tournament. The Compendium seems rather high in price, but I guess that's because you get a courier, which if one watches enough games and people figure out how to game the system, will probably end up worth a lot of money in the end.

Also the battle bonus that will be unlocked once they hit the stretch goal. I usually buy a few a month @ 3$ a pop.

• HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Solo matchmaking added:

Update Notes - May 8, 2013

Added Solo Matchmaking option. This is an experimental feature that will match you with players who also queued without being in a party. This is the first step in a series aimed at improving the matchmaking system.

COMMUNITY
    - Reduced the number of negative reports per week to 2 as part of our ongoing efforts to improve and tune the reporting and ban systems.

GAMEPLAY
    - Elder Titan: Fixed Legacy Keys
    - Drow Ranger: Fixed Frost Arrows slowing Spirit Bear for the full creep duration
    - Tusk: Fixed Walrus Punch having 1 less second of slow than intended.
    - Tusk: Fixed Armlet sometimes causing Walrus Punch to disappear after using Snowball.

PERFORMANCE
    - Reduced memory usage on systems with 2GB of RAM or less

Solo matchmaking. Interesting.
    C2hmw6F.png
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    Oh thank god. Getting steamrolled by premades is no fun whatsoever.
  • Dac VinDac Vin SPECIAL DELIVERY Registered User regular
    - Reduced the number of negative reports per week to 2 as part of our ongoing efforts to improve and tune the reporting and ban systems.

what
    23uzq4m.gif
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »

what

What what? That's a good change. Can't just report people all willy nilly.
    steam_sig.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    But if you run into more than two assholes per week you are hosed.
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Solo matchmaking means you will never play with/against people previously in a party? Hm.
  • AuralynxAuralynx Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

If?
    Playing in:
    World's Largest Dungeon 4E as Torbera
    BSG Exodus Game 17 as Tom Zarek
    Twilight Imperium Game 7 as Muaat
    Auralynx wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »

If?

Yeah, you might only play one game per week.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Even when I only play one or two games a week, it is really rare to not run into two assholes per game. That said, it seems like I've been running into less assoles in the last couple weeks. Phrasing.

Also, that compendium looks really cool... color me interested.
    Prospicience on
    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    Even when I only play one or two games a week, it is really rare to not run into two assholes per game. That said, it seems like I've been running into less assoles in the last couple weeks. Phrasing.

To be fair, when I queue with people they're guaranteed to have at least 1 asshole in their game.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited May 2013
    Eh, the report thing is probably good. I run into so many players that scream "report x" in all chat for trivial reasons. Especially when people abandon, it's like no, they already have the abandon, there's no need to report them.

It's pretty rare I have to report, but then I usually only report for slurs, shit talking the losing team after a stomp, and deliberate trolling. Rarely you'll get that guy who just shits out of his mouth on voice for an entire game, but that's a definite report too.

Solo matchmaking is a welcome addition, if enough people populate it I could see that becoming a wonderful thing. Oh god I hope it works, playing against stacks, or with them, is so aggravating.
    Dark_Side on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    At least after nearly 5 months Valve made a single post acknowledging the constant crashes that many people are getting and also token efforts at a solution.

This patch actually delivers. Maybe next week they'll fix 2 super obvious bugs that were reported 6 months ago.
    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated May 3rd. Ramblings!
    I wonder if they fixed the courier effects yet.

My Chameleon (from the premier) was working the other day.
  • sparklesparkle Registered User regular
    I usually get mana boots and scepter on Pugna. If I have a bit of cash left over and the other team is not high on CC I start work on bloodstone. It's served me pretty well as I usually stand on the fringe of a battle, lay down Nether Ward and use life drain non-stop if not using nether blast.

Aghs is fine most of the time, but looking at that lineup I think it was not so good.
    1.) everyone on your team except for alch had arcanes. That is overkill, especially since pugna is one of heroes that needs them the least.
    2.) every single one of those heroes had some way to interrupt your ult. The two that didn't have great abilities for doing it were natural orchid carriers. But only Clock had anything that goes through BKB.
    3.) you had some significant burst damage on your team.

Personally, I'd have gone Urn, BKB, Veil, and possibly dagon. Urn is a pretty important source of healing inbetween fights for any team, and Pugna is perfect to carry it. BKB would make it much harder, maybe impossible for clinkz to gank you. You'd be pretty much assured of getting a full duration drain off in teamfights. Veil would wreck face with Zeus and give you some good armor. And dagon with decryp is always fun, and it gives you some nice HP too.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular

My ice frog still doesn't work unless I go into the game with another courier selected, then switch.

My ice frog still doesn't work unless I go into the game with another courier selected, then switch.

I'll have to try that because, yeah last night - wasn't working.
    sparkle wrote: »

Aghs is fine most of the time, but looking at that lineup I think it was not so good.
    1.) everyone on your team except for alch had arcanes. That is overkill, especially since pugna is one of heroes that needs them the least.
    2.) every single one of those heroes had some way to interrupt your ult. The two that didn't have great abilities for doing it were natural orchid carriers. But only Clock had anything that goes through BKB.
    3.) you had some significant burst damage on your team.

Personally, I'd have gone Urn, BKB, Veil, and possibly dagon. Urn is a pretty important source of healing inbetween fights for any team, and Pugna is perfect to carry it. BKB would make it much harder, maybe impossible for clinkz to gank you. You'd be pretty much assured of getting a full duration drain off in teamfights. Veil would wreck face with Zeus and give you some good armor. And dagon with decryp is always fun, and it gives you some nice HP too.

All good points. I was the first to get arcane's and only noticed it much later in game. I am pretty spammy with decrepify in lane to deny LH to people so I burn through mana pretty fast. I can also decrypt myself to avoid people like clinkz. Dagon is not bad but once I get scepter I can ulti for close to the same damage at will. Urn is a good Idea but I usually find by the time I get around to it if I am not playing support it's a useless item on him as I can drain a creep to regain life. I really should start getting veil though. BKB is a usuallal pick for me but they were outright ignoring me that game. Clock was focusing on Zeus and I would decryp him in clock and ulti.

Thanks for the advice!

man had the best encounter yesterday. i head into a match and wait like 30-40 seconds to see what people pick, and since only one person immediately grabbed QoP, i hit random and get weaver. 4th person to pick grabs centaur and last is ursa. so great another pub 4 carry game. anyways i had said i was going to go bot since qop was going mid and Centaur ends up going to my line. so we are laning and he is totally screwing with my last hits, but eventually i figure out what he is doing and start getting them. he starts pinging like mad and says some garbled thing which i figure out means he doesn't want me last hitting. i continue to last hit from him, because you know, weaver. and he is like i get the last hits, you don't attack the creeps since he was the tank and I was support. I am like umm, no I'm not. and he gets all pissy and reports me and then calls me nub.

good times in pubs
    camo_sig.png
    Centaur should be diving on people and gettin' mad kills, not intensely last hitting olololol
    C2hmw6F.png
    Other items to consider for pugna would IMO be Mek, Euls, Drums. Pugna is fast.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    man had the best encounter yesterday. i head into a match and wait like 30-40 seconds to see what people pick, and since only one person immediately grabbed QoP, i hit random and get weaver. 4th person to pick grabs centaur and last is ursa. so great another pub 4 carry game. anyways i had said i was going to go bot since qop was going mid and Centaur ends up going to my line. so we are laning and he is totally screwing with my last hits, but eventually i figure out what he is doing and start getting them. he starts pinging like mad and says some garbled thing which i figure out means he doesn't want me last hitting. i continue to last hit from him, because you know, weaver. and he is like i get the last hits, you don't attack the creeps since he was the tank and I was support. I am like umm, no I'm not. and he gets all pissy and reports me and then calls me nub.

good times in pubs

this is the fundamental problem with (pub) dota, and possibly the role design of the game in general. Noone wants to NOT get last hits, noone enjoys NOT having items or gold, noone likes giving up kills and dying for teammates. Reminds me of MMOs where noone wants to be the healer, only worse, since at least the healer is allowed to have gear and gold, and get experience.

There are people who enjoy the support role (I myself enjoy it from time to time), but generally noone is going to want to get less farm so some random incompetent pub can get more.
    img.php?id=valiance_
    valiance wrote: »

good times in pubs

this is the fundamental problem with (pub) dota, and possibly the role design of the game in general. Noone wants to NOT get last hits, noone enjoys NOT having items or gold, noone likes giving up kills and dying for teammates. Reminds me of MMOs where noone wants to be the healer, only worse, since at least the healer is allowed to have gear and gold, and get experience.

There are people who enjoy the support role (I myself enjoy it from time to time), but generally noone is going to want to get less farm so some random incompetent pub can get more.

The thing is that in pub's if you are going full on support (buying & upgrading courier, laying wards, getting mek or drums etc) you naturally fall behind in leveling and gear and by then end of the game you are carry bait. If your team loses, they end up blaming the guy that is had the most deaths because he "fed". Who want's that kind of abuse?

• Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 Registered User regular
    Some days I dream of a time when wards would be cheaper if you had "support" in your role name. But, alas, that'd be broken.
    "Famished dogs follow slowly as my own paws drag me to a dock, / to the last plank where I struggle to deny myself the path that every Pisces craves, /
    ... and I cough for every crater that I could see, / on the surface of that coffin we've come to call the moon." Circle Takes the Square
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

good times in pubs

The thing is that in pub's if you are going full on support (buying & upgrading courier, laying wards, getting mek or drums etc) you naturally fall behind in leveling and gear and by then end of the game you are carry bait. If your team loses, they end up blaming the guy that is had the most deaths because he "fed". Who want's that kind of abuse?

I pretty much always love supporting.

And well, people will always flame, so no real difference there.
    SC2EU/US: Frozenzen.437 Steam: Frozenzen
    Support can actually be quite rewarding, but you have to be able to see the indirect links between your actions and your team being successful.

For instance I was running a support role the other day against a team with Ursa. We shut his ass down hard early, and because of that I got lazy and didn't keep wards on Rosh. (Truthfully I wasn't supposed to be support, but no one would do it so I had to step up.) He sneaks the first Rosh in and starts to really go on a tear. They come back from a large early deficit and things are starting to look bad for us. that is, until I time the next rosh, ward it, and catch him in the act. Which leads to us wiping them. That single ward, in a way, won us the game. (Along with me having the foresight to keep an eye on Rosh.) If he'd gotten it, we would have lost the next big team fight and it would tipped the game in their favor.

I assure you no one was cheering me in chat saying great warding dude, great warding. Which is why when people do it in my games and I'm a carry, I make sure to thank them in chat for great ward coverage.
    Dyrwen66 wrote: »
    Some days I dream of a time when wards would be cheaper if you had "support" in your role name. But, alas, that'd be broken.

That's a stupid idea. Alchemist/sven/naga siren can't support anymore? Or does everyone get this support in their role name and the price of observers is reduced by 50 from 200?
    Support can actually be quite rewarding, but you have to be able to see the indirect links between your actions and your team being successful.

For instance I was running a support role the other day against a team with Ursa. We shut his ass down hard early, and because of that I got lazy and didn't keep wards on Rosh. (Truthfully I wasn't supposed to be support, but no one would do it so I had to step up.) He sneaks the first Rosh in and starts to really go on a tear. They come back from a large early deficit and things are starting to look bad for us. that is, until I time the next rosh, ward it, and catch him in the act. Which leads to us wiping them. That single ward, in a way, won us the game. (Along with me having the foresight to keep an eye on Rosh.) If he'd gotten it, we would have lost the next big team fight and it would tipped the game in their favor.

I assure you no one was cheering me in chat saying great warding dude, great warding. Which is why when people do it in my games and I'm a carry, I make sure to thank them in chat for great ward coverage.

I have a friend that I usually play with that is a great support player and prefers to play that then any other role. He has won us the game to many times to count with a well placed ward or a perfectly time pipe or mec.

I, on the other hand, always seem to misplace wards or get ganked while placing them.